Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Simian_Prime posted:

I don’t even understand what they mean by “slurs”, is the word “furry” a slur now? What do you call them, “trans-specied”? Guess I’m just not woke enough.

The slur in question might be either 'stupid' or 'retarded'?

Leraika fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

'Retarded' is definitely a slur.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Leraika posted:

Might be stupid or retarded?

Might want to rephrase that, else they might think you're referring to the poster, not the words.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

PurpleXVI posted:

So is it actually plausible for the PC's to destroy the Walker in their one round of free attacks assuming they've brought some dynamite or something similar? Or is the best they're going to be able to hope for giving it some scars and then legging it?

The wording of the Walker's immunities is kind of vague and I'm not sure how - if indeed it can - it would resist an explosion. The exact wording says that it's immune to 'attacks based on heat, blast, corrosion, electrical damage or poisoning'. I would assume that includes dynamite but if your team went to the trouble of bringing explosives all this way I feel like it should do more than just tickle the drat thing. With that and the full Romani hunting party, killing it in one round is very feasible! I don't think there's actually many Mythos creatures that can resist that kind of firepower.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

What part of an explosion is neither heat nor blast?

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Okay true but look if loving shotguns work on the fucker than dynamite should do SOMETHING.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Mors Rattus posted:

Stick it in a can and hope for good shrapnel?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The woosh of the wind very quickly going somewhere else, perhaps. Maybe a tornado is the perfect weapon to kill the cursed hut of Baba Yaga.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The "blast" part might've been added by an irate Keeper after a playtest.

"The dynamite blast is useless against the non-terrene matter of the Walker!"
"But our shotguns still did some basic damage, isn't that similar for-"
"Shut UP, Carl."

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How much dynamite are we talking about anyway? Is this thing tougher than a real world superheavy tank? A sci-fi mech?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Zomborgon posted:

Might want to rephrase that, else they might think you're referring to the poster, not the words.

hahahahahaha oh dear.

Woops, yeah, fixed.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Kavak posted:

The "blast" part might've been added by an irate Keeper after a playtest.

"The dynamite blast is useless against the non-terrene matter of the Walker!"
"But our shotguns still did some basic damage, isn't that similar for-"
"Shut UP, Carl."

There's no way this isn't exactly what happened.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There should be a lengthy German word for the kind of rule or sidebar that was obviously added as a direct result of a heated argument with the GM. For instance: "a swallowed creature can cut its way out by dealing 50 points of damage to the tarrasque’s digestive tract (AC 25). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out." No, Frank, you can't just follow Brian out. Because... because of muscular action. Muscular... no, see, muscular action closed the hole, uh, and now... Well I mean it was open just long enough for Brian to, to squeeze out, and... No, you need to cut your way out yourself. No, you don't get to count the damage Sarah's doing from the outside. Because I said so, that's why!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Down With People posted:

The wording of the Walker's immunities is kind of vague and I'm not sure how - if indeed it can - it would resist an explosion. The exact wording says that it's immune to 'attacks based on heat, blast, corrosion, electrical damage or poisoning'. I would assume that includes dynamite but if your team went to the trouble of bringing explosives all this way I feel like it should do more than just tickle the drat thing. With that and the full Romani hunting party, killing it in one round is very feasible! I don't think there's actually many Mythos creatures that can resist that kind of firepower.

So if a dude with an HMG sets up outside the hut as insurance while the other investigators go in.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

megane posted:

There should be a lengthy German word for the kind of rule or sidebar that was obviously added as a direct result of a heated argument with the GM.

Oh man, if you expand this to "I get to win this internet argument because I'm writing the book" that lengthy German word would describe like 15% Exalted 2E.

I was asked to add this sidebar to the official errata document because the devs were tired of people having slapfights on the White Wolf forums about it:

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

So if a dude with an HMG sets up outside the hut as insurance while the other investigators go in.

Won't protect them from the Dark Young around the clearing, and if Grandmother gets the jump on them they're hosed. She's got some nasty spells.

But I mean, the reality of the situation is that an investigator who tries to bring a loving Vickers or whatever never got out of Italy. If you try to walk around with a machine gun people will treat you like a person walking around with a machine gun. CoC isn't - or at least shouldn't be - 1920s D&D with the investigators roaming around shooting the Mythos for loot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That being said, hospitable cottage in the woods with a benign old grandma inside is something that to any seasoned player or investigator may as well be covered in red flags where the flagstaff is capped by a blaring siren sprouting another red flag on top.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

megane posted:

There should be a lengthy German word for the kind of rule or sidebar that was obviously added as a direct result of a heated argument with the GM.

There are definitely some rulings in Palladium books that make me think that came out of some spot ruling, since that's the only explanation I can come up why a % roll is done as a best 3 out of 5 or the like.

That Old Tree posted:

Oh man, if you expand this to "I get to win this internet argument because I'm writing the book" that lengthy German word would describe like 15% Exalted 2E.

I was asked to add this sidebar to the official errata document because the devs were tired of people having slapfights on the White Wolf forums about it:

Hahaha, I get the impression I might recall who might have effectively been responsible for that.

I think that particular internet board culture explains a lot regarding Exalted 3e's genesis and foibles.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Holden and Morke were, among their many sins, far too invested in mocking and winning arguments with White Wolf forums posters.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Down With People posted:

Won't protect them from the Dark Young around the clearing, and if Grandmother gets the jump on them they're hosed. She's got some nasty spells.

But I mean, the reality of the situation is that an investigator who tries to bring a loving Vickers or whatever never got out of Italy. If you try to walk around with a machine gun people will treat you like a person walking around with a machine gun. CoC isn't - or at least shouldn't be - 1920s D&D with the investigators roaming around shooting the Mythos for loot.

I think there's a place (of "Cthulhutech but not poo poo") for a game where you have people exploiting unsafe Mythos artifacts they don't understand to fight, but not CoC.

My pitch for Cthulhutech-but-not-poo poo is to straight-up get rid of the characters that aren't somehow touched by the Mythos as PCs. You don't play a soldier, you play a special forces tager, a man bonded to an alien thing which might not be entirely benevolent but seems to hate the other guys more than it hates humanity so ok. You don't pilot a giant robot, you commune with a god-machine built from impossible extradimensional genetics, imprisoned and barely controlled by 20 tons of armor plate and locking system that exist primarily to protect humanity from its own weapons systems driving them insane and/or murdering them. Etc etc.

Then get rid of all the secret cult nonsense and make it straight-up about acting more openly while wrestling with the fact that the very abilities that allow you to act more openly are themselves corrupting and maddening. If I'm playing "punch Elder Gods with giant robots" as a game I probably don't want to be playing Delta Green. I want to be able to wave my warrant card and show people that I am an Official World Government Operative with all the clearances for Militarized Body Modification and I want people to obey me, part because I have the card, part because they're scared I might flip out and eat them or go rogue like that guy they heard of in rumors...

MightyMatilda
Sep 2, 2015
I just came up with Argumentsgeburtungeheuer. It means "argugument birth monster".

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think that particular internet board culture explains a lot regarding Exalted 3e's genesis and foibles.

Eh, to some extent, but I think a lot of what went into 3E was a direct reaction against Michael Goodwin's stuff in particular. Which, you know, isn't necessarily bad because people like different things, but all the bullshit surrounding it really drags that down, particularly the forum posts bloviating about how everything he wrote was actually bad and you, forums reader, are secretly dumb for having liked it. (Please ignore that the authors making these posts, including yours truly, made their names following closely in Goodwin's footsteps until suddenly it was all a giant mistake that must be disowned.)

Still, yeah, the forum culture was definitely wrapped up in all that and tied into the backstage discourse. It was a public legend about some sidebar or power or something in either Abyssals or Fair Folk way back in 1E existing because Goodwin was being spiteful toward some insufferable forum poster.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Down With People posted:

But I mean, the reality of the situation is that an investigator who tries to bring a loving Vickers or whatever never got out of Italy. If you try to walk around with a machine gun people will treat you like a person walking around with a machine gun.

Ghost train!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That Old Tree posted:

The only time I remember this coming up was in some hypothetical Lunars campaign where Great Contagion II actually, for-real started wiping out humanity for good, at which point the Emergency Option kicked in and various animals became Lunar Exalted.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

Still, yeah, the forum culture was definitely wrapped up in all that and tied into the backstage discourse. It was a public legend about some sidebar or power or something in either Abyssals or Fair Folk way back in 1E existing because Goodwin was being spiteful toward some insufferable forum poster.

Didn't they collaborate a decent amount with Goodwin? Not that I'm familiar with how that actually worked, or didn't work, or whatever.

Granted, it's hard to understate how toxic things could get in the Exalted community. I remember having an off-forums discussion there with somebody who seemingly couldn't comprehend why Dragon-Blooded breeding camps weren't an absolute necessity to save Creation. (And that's just the tip of that particular assberg.)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nessus posted:

The only time I remember this coming up was in some hypothetical Lunars campaign where Great Contagion II actually, for-real started wiping out humanity for good, at which point the Emergency Option kicked in and various animals became Lunar Exalted.

Yeah, there was a "what if" story hook in the back of the 2E Lunars book that led to endless threadsfights on the forums. Completely inoffensive, but the genesis of a bunch of canon-warriors' worst nightmares.

There was a somewhat legitimate concern about (the wrong kind of) forum bullshit trickling into official material, because that happened once or twice. But that has a lot more to do with poor author communication and almost no editorial oversight or strong creative leadership, and a lot less to do with a properly policed respect for canon in the forum culture.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ugh, the breeding camps.

That poo poo never stopped.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mors Rattus posted:

Ugh, the breeding camps.

Was this official or unofficial stuff? You can never tell with Exalted, given the line's sordid bits.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Was this official or unofficial stuff? You can never tell with Exalted, given the line's sordid bits.

Official, if memory serves; it was Ma-Ha-Suchi's shtick to make lots of the thing I forgot the word for because Exalted is blessedly slipping from my memory.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Didn't they collaborate a decent amount with Goodwin? Not that I'm familiar with how that actually worked, or didn't work, or whatever.

Holden was absolutely and outright called Michael's protege, by Michael himself. I'm not sure John's relationship with Goodwin was ever all that friendly. Regardless of how nice they were to each other, Mřrke absolutely only got his foot in the door thanks to Holden's carrying him along thanks to Michael's hard work. Michael Goodwin did a lot of what amounted to talent-scouting and networking for the sake of Exalted, because loving god knows Chambers was never going to care to do more than the bare minimum. He made the first steps of bringing me into the backstage, but by the time I got really involved Holden and John were in charge and actively shoving Michael and others out the door. (It turns out my first [published] writing credit was a big dump all over and surprise kick out the door to someone I really respect.)

quote:

Granted, it's hard to understate how toxic things could get in the Exalted community. I remember having an off-forums discussion there with somebody who seemingly couldn't comprehend why Dragon-Blooded breeding camps weren't an absolute necessity to save Creation. (And that's just the tip of that particular assberg.)

The old, old White Wolf forums (god, nearly 20 years ago!) were a poo poo-spewing spectacle. Most of them calmed down and got better, but Exalted only barely, and then 2E happened and it got really dire (thanks in part to me!). Everyone seems to have calmed way the hell down now, though of course "is an RPG forum" means there will always be some real bullshit no matter what.

Mors Rattus posted:

Ugh, the breeding camps.

Don't forget the "the Evil Empire is Actually Good" guy.

Night10194 posted:

There were no officially published Dragon-Blooded breeding camps, though the whole eugenicist breeding program (and supporting mechanics) of the Empire wasn't a huge step up. (The original material had the good grace to act like it was still monstrous, though.)

I think all but passing mention of the official beastman-creating slave-rape camps were cut for space and later published via the official, ***:siren:100% canon:siren:*** blog.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Night10194 posted:

Unofficial, thankfully.

The closest it got were an evil barbarian overlord type having what I am led to believe were rape camps (published as an online extra, IIRC, and extremely grimdark evil, and extremely awful - I never read that stuff because of its deservedly dire reputation).

And then in the mythical dawn of time the Dragon-Blooded were supposedly 90% women and spent a few generations having massive bacchanals and increasing their population as much as possible.
Which is also extremely gross and dumb, but if they'd been a little more restricted and just said 'the Children of the Dragons focused on building their numbers, within a few generations creating a vast nation' it would have been uncomfortable but within the realm of ancient mythology, I imagine.

Both are still better than what the fans came up with.

EDIT: To be clear, there were official rape camps as a thing in the setting and it was horrendous. It was only the fans who insisted that 'breeding camps' were the necessary solution to the setting, rather than 'this is an over the top evil thing this character does, so that you know you should kill him ASAP.'

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 9, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MJ12 posted:

I think there's a place (of "Cthulhutech but not poo poo") for a game where you have people exploiting unsafe Mythos artifacts they don't understand to fight, but not CoC.

My pitch for Cthulhutech-but-not-poo poo is to straight-up get rid of the characters that aren't somehow touched by the Mythos as PCs. You don't play a soldier, you play a special forces tager, a man bonded to an alien thing which might not be entirely benevolent but seems to hate the other guys more than it hates humanity so ok. You don't pilot a giant robot, you commune with a god-machine built from impossible extradimensional genetics, imprisoned and barely controlled by 20 tons of armor plate and locking system that exist primarily to protect humanity from its own weapons systems driving them insane and/or murdering them. Etc etc.
Yeah, you could do so much without being tied to a handful of plonky anime references. You could have a game that's tactically fun and versatile while maintaining a more or less serious tone, like The Whispering Vault or the Atomic Robo (or was it Strike!?) PBPs here.

You could have character archetypes that tied into the stories. Tagers could be created by communing with artifacts like the Shining Trapezohedron, or opening doors to other realms as in "From Beyond." People who were altered by weird science and alchemy ("Cool Air" and "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward") and wizards who only become real wizards when they do that thing that shows up in Lovecraftian pastiche: they found a magic book and read it aloud for some goddamn reason, and summoned Cthulhu who told them you're a wizard, Tillinghast.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"My game about piloting a giant robot against alien starspawn would be fine if not for the, ugh, anime"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I mean you do you but frankly Evangelion is a better base for a game than Lovecraft is

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I always thought the DB stuff came off as "arranged marriage drama reasons" outside of that semi-mythical Before Time thing. This is kind of a problem with any super-power kit that is specifically rooted in some form of inheritance, though it would be pretty easy to retcon.

Also all that goat-wolf-man bullshit belongs in the garbage.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean you do you but frankly Evangelion is a better base for a game than Lovecraft is
The ongoing RPG-community romance with anime stuff has, in and of itself, resembled a romance in an anime.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nessus posted:

I always thought the DB stuff came off as "arranged marriage drama reasons" outside of that semi-mythical Before Time thing. This is kind of a problem with any super-power kit that is specifically rooted in some form of inheritance, though it would be pretty easy to retcon.

Sure, but the fact that you had this objective mechanical explanation that Eugenics Is Absolutely Correct makes the whole thing a lot grosser.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Night10194 posted:

I'm talking about unofficial. There was an semi-official element of that with beastmen, but that was different.

That Old Tree posted:

(It turns out my first [published] writing credit was a big dump all over and surprise kick out the door to someone I really respect.)

Sorry to hear. I always wondered why they dismissed everything involving 2e, even the projects they were closely involved in, and... that at least goes some way towards explaining why.

That Old Tree posted:

The old, old White Wolf forums (god, nearly 20 years ago!) were a poo poo-spewing spectacle. Most of them calmed down and got better, but Exalted only barely, and then 2E happened and it got really dire (thanks in part to me!). Everyone seems to have calmed way the hell down now, though of course "is an RPG forum" means there will always be some real bullshit no matter what.

Yeah, the person I had to deal with from there did get booted from the forums at the time, and that was no small feat.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Roll 1D6 times on the "Ways your dad is awful" table. At the start of combat, roll a D20. On a 1-17 you hide in a bathroom and the magic girl has to go do the fight again. You may cry if you wish.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

theironjef posted:

Roll 1D6 times on the "Ways your dad is awful" table. At the start of combat, roll a D20. On a 1-17 you hide in a bathroom and the magic girl has to go do the fight again. You may cry if you wish.

Do I need to roll high or low to avoid uncontrollably masturbating over an unconscious little-girl clone of my mother? What feat allows me to realize doing so is an indictment by the author of my over-developed attachment to my character and not a cool and good thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

That Old Tree posted:

Do I need to roll high or low to avoid uncontrollably masturbating over an unconscious little-girl clone of my mother? What feat allows me to realize doing so is an indictment by the author of my over-developed attachment to my character and not a cool and good thing?
Unfortunately, the "Thoughtful Media-Engager" prestige class required at least 4 levels of Fighter, so it is rarely taken.