Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

When is the best time to do Jericho/Okada, Jericho/Suzuki and Jericho/Tanahashi?

Those have to happen at some point

Jericho in G1 would get a lot of dream matches out of the way

Jericho/Okada: I'd say Dominion, it'd just take one Jericho promo after losing to Kenny/Naito of "you stupid idiots I'm gonna beat Okada and win the belt and show you how great I am" to get the program going.

Jericho/Tana: prob next year's Wrestle Kingdom tbh, running Okada/Danielson, Kenny/Naito, and Tana/Jericho gives you a solid card to run on top at the dome.

Jericho/MiSu: probably never tbh, even if I was wrong that Jericho was just a one off, it doesn't make sense for him to go beyond putting over the four aces. Jericho's absolutely not working a G1 at his age and stature, and as much as it'd be to see him go against YTR and have to drive a decent match out of Fale, it doesn't make any sense to put him through a tour like that. He gets his four match New Japan run, keeps people talking about him, and then he's out before the returns diminish too much, and then he's in the 2019 Rumble and can get set for a Wrestlemania payday after some time away boosting his stock and playing with his band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Those cards look really good.

For you NJPW newbies, Fantasticamania is the annual NJPW/CMLL crossover tour. There isn't really anything at stake booking-wise, but it's a super fun spectacle with a lot of cool matchups you wouldn't see any other time of the year. Definitely worth watching.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Benne posted:

Those cards look really good.

For you NJPW newbies, Fantasticamania is the annual NJPW/CMLL crossover tour. There isn't really anything at stake booking-wise, but it's a super fun spectacle with a lot of cool matchups you wouldn't see any other time of the year. Definitely worth watching.

Fantasticamania is really fun because you get to see Luchas pulling off sequences that makes the Korakuen crowd lose their absolute minds. It’s a lot of fun to watch, especially after the New Year Dome dramas.

I’m honestly not sure what Kenny would have to do to get major time on Japanese TV, but I’m all for it happening. Especially for one of the late-night chat shows which have like 10 panelists, if his Japanese can hang there he’ll be a god.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
Making a high profile but secondary belt for gaijins to fight over seems like a smart way for the promotion to minimise booking hassles and keep the IWGP prestige, when they inevitably take the WWE money bait and lure 12 months later. Omega will win the main belt at some point and the US title is the litmus test for both his loyalty to NJPW and ability to establish the belt's worth.

Am I close or way off?

Strawberry Panda posted:

WHEN!?!?!?!

I'll go to all four :-D. Gives me an excuse to see the rest of the country.

I'd definitely look at a Melbourne roa(nd)d trip to catch one show at least, there's no way my city would be on the schedule.

Benne posted:

Jay White looks like a guy who has very strong opinions about ethics in game journalism

You should watch Wrestle Kingdom 8 while you're back in 2014.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

New Beginning in Sapporo: 2 Rounds of Snow Night One (January 27)
Katsuya Kitamura Challenge Series Round 2
Katsuya Kitamura vs. Michael Elgin

KUSHIDA, Tiger Mask, Jushin Liger, Satoshi Kojima and Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs.Suzuki Gun (TAKA Michinoku, El Desperado, Taichi, Yoshinobu Kanemaru and Takashi Iizuka)

Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano vs. Chase Owens and Yujiro Takahashi

NEVER Openweight 6 Man Tag Team Championship

Bullet Club (Tanga Loa, Tama Tonga and Bad Luck Fale) (c) vs. Togi Makabe, Ryusuke Taguchi and Toa Henare

David Finlay, Juice Robinson and Kota Ibushi vs. Bullet Club (Marty Scurll, Hangman Page and Cody)

YOSHI-HASHI and Will Ospreay vs. Tetsuya Naito and Hiromu Takahashi

CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Hirooki Goto and Gedo) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (SANADA, EVIL and BUSHI)

CHAOS (Jay White, SHO and YOH) vs The Elite (Kenny Omega, Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson)

IWGP Intercontinental Championship
Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Minoru Suzuki

New Beginning in Sapporo: 2 Rounds of Snow Night Two (January 28)

Katsuya Kitamura Challenge Series Round 3
Katsuya Kitamura vs. Juice Robinson

Shota Unno*, Ryusuke Taguchi, Tiger Mask and Jushin Liger vs. Suzuki Gun (TAKA Michinoku, El Desperado, Taichi and Yoshinobu Kanemaru)

Toru Yano & Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hiku'leo* and Yujiro Takahashi

Toa Henare, Satoshi Kojima, Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Togi Makabe vs. Bullet Club (Chase Owens, Tanga Loa, Tama Tonga and Bad Luck Fale)

Hiroshi Tanahashi and Michael Elgin vs. Minoru Suzuki and Takashi Iizuka

Kota Ibushi, David Finlay and KUSHIDA vs. Bullet Club (Cody, Hangman Page and Marty Scurll)

CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI, Will Ospreay and Gedo) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (SANADA, EVIL, Tetsuya Naito, Hiromu Takahashi and BUSHI)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship

The Young Bucks (c) vs. Roppongi 3K

IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship

Kenny Omega (c) vs. Jay White

Road to New Beginning (February 5)

Ryusuke Taguchi, Tiger Mask and Jushin Liger vs. Shota Unno, Tetsuhiro Yagi and Ren Narita

Satoshi Kojima and Michael Elgin vs. Yujiro Takahashi and Hiku'leo

Katsuya Kitamura Challenge Series Round 4
Katsuya Kitamura vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan

Roppongi 3K (Rocky Romero, SHO and YOH) vs. Suzuki Gun (Taichi, TAKA Michinoku and El Desperado)

Toa Henare and Juice Robinson vs. Toru Yano and Tomohiro Ishii

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe and KUSHIDA vs. Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka and Yoshinobu Kanemaru

David Finlay vs. Jay White

Elimination Tag Match
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI, Will Ospreay and Gedo) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (SANADA, EVIL, Tetsuya Naito, Hiromu Takahashi and BUSHI)

Road to New Beginning (February 6)
KUSHIDA, Tiger Mask and Jushin Liger vs. Shota Unno, Ren Narita and Tetsuhiro Yagi

Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Michael Elgin vs. Hiku'leo and Yujiro Takahashi

Katsuya Kitamura Challenge Series Round 5

Satoshi Kojima vs. Katsuya Kitamura

Roppongi 3K (Rocky Romero, SHO and YOH) vs. Suzuki Gun (TAKA Michinoku, Yoshinobu Kanemaru and El Desperado)

Toa Henare, Juice Robinson and David Finlay vs. CHAOS (Jay White, Toru Yano and Tomohiro Ishii)

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Ryusuke Taguchi and Togi Makabe vs. Suzuki Gun (Minoru Suzuki, Taichi and Takashi Iizuka)

CHAOS (YOSHI-HASHI, Gedo and Will Ospreay vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, Hiromu Takahashi and BUSHI)

IWGP Tag Team Championship
Kazuchika Okada and Hirooki Goto vs. EVIL and SANADA (c)

New Beginning in Osaka (February 10)

Katsuya Kitamura Challenge Series Round 6
Yuji Nagata vs. Katsuya Kitamura

Roppongi 3K vs. El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru

Michael Elgin, Juice Robinson and David Finlay vs. CHAOS (Jay White, Toru Yano and Tomohiro Ishii)

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, KUSHIDA and Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Suzuki Gun (Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka, TAKA Michinoku and Taichi)

Gedo vs. BUSHI

YOSHI-HASHI vs. Tetsuya Naito

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship

Will Ospreay (c) vs. Hiromu Takahashi

NEVER Openweight Championship
Hirooki Goto (c) vs, EVIL

IWGP Heavyweight Championship
Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. SANADA

*Shota Umino has been renamed Shota Unno and Leo Tonga has been renamed Hiku'leo

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/destroyalllines/status/950638394597523456

:toot:

:rip: Brisbane

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Goddamn I'm hype AF for all those title matches!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Goddamn I'm hype AF for all those title matches!

They're all great but I'm most excited to see Switchblade and Yano interacting as a team.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
gdi more elgin really

i guess this was the company that continued to employ honma, so, whatever

when are they doing jericho/naito? sakura genesis? long beach?

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 9, 2018

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

gently caress yeah more Swole Vampire Kitamura. I've seen him a grand total of once and I already love that man

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Baron Corbyn posted:

New Beginning in Sapporo: 2 Rounds of Snow Night One (January 27)
Katsuya Kitamura Challenge Series Round 2
Katsuya Kitamura vs. Michael Elgin

i hope this is the one EVOLVING MONSTER!! wins.

when is elgin's deal up? aside from being a piece of poo poo, he's also got a thousand yard stare going and has clearly lost a step.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

i hope this is the one EVOLVING MONSTER!! wins.

when is elgin's deal up? aside from being a piece of poo poo, he's also got a thousand yard stare going and has clearly lost a step.

I think the word was after this tour.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Hyped! I wonder how much it'll cost. I'll be on a plane to Sydney when they go on sale so may need to get someone to buy it for me.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
I hope Slex does a surprise challenge on Okada.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Full Fantasticamania cards:

NJPW PRESENTS: CMLL FANTASTICAMANIA 2018
January 19th at 4:30 EST/9:30 GMT
Korakuen Hall

Fuego vs. Okumura
Kojima, Dragon Lee, Star Jr, and Kawato vs. Los Ingobernables (Naito, Rush, Hiromu, and BUSHI)
Atlantis, Volador Jr, Mistico, and Drone vs. Ultimo Guerrero, Cavernario, Puma, and Disturbio
CMLL World Middleweight Championship:Angel de Oro(c) vs. Cuatrero
Mexican National Welterweight Championship:Soberano Jr.(c) vs. Sanson
CMLL World Lt. Heavyweight Championship:Niebla Roja(c) vs. Gran Guerrero

January 21st at 4:30 EST/9:30 GMT
Korakuen Hall

Drone and Star Jr. vs. Puma and Disturbio
Soberano Jr, Ryusuke Taguchi, and Fuego vs. SHO, YOH, and Okumura
Atlantis, Kojima, KUSHIDA, and Kawato vs. Los Ingobernables (Naito, Rush, Hiromu, and BUSHI)
CMLL Hermanos Tournament Rd 1:Niebla Roja and Angel de Oro vs. Ultimo Guerrero and Gran Guerrero
CMLL Hermanos Tournament Rd 1:Mistico and Dragon Lee vs. Sanson and Cuatrero
NWA World Historic Welterweight Championship:Volador Jr.(c) vs. Barbaro Cavernario

January 22nd at 4:30 EST/9:30 GMT
Korakuen Hall

Ryusuke Taguchi and Fuego vs. Puma and Disturbio
KUSHIDA, Liger, TMIV, and Star Jr. vs. SHO, YOH, Rocky, and Okumura
CMLL Hermanos Tournament 3rd Place Match ?????? vs. ???????
Hirai Kawato Farewell Match:Atlantis and Hirai Kawato vs. Barbaro Cavernario and Gedo
Volador Jr, Soberano Jr, and Drone vs. L.I.J (Naito, Hiromu, and BUSHI)
Satoshi Kojima vs. Rush
CMLL Hermanos tournament Final ?????? vs. ???????

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kitamura is going to beat Mike Elgin. I feel it in my bones.

Also, what's the deal with Henare? Did he get the David Finlay graduation where you don't go on excursion and are completely ignored? It's a bit of a bummer because I had high hopes for him.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

With basically all the top guys except Naito off those cards I realize they may look less compelling than prior years but give them a chance. Many of those CMLL guys are outstanding and if you don't watch CMLL it's a good way to discover them without the elements of CMLL (weird tag rules and bad referees) many find confusing or off putting.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Barbaro Cavenario teaming with Gedo is the type of weird, dope poo poo that only Fantasticamania can deliver. I hope he gives Barbaro a bandana.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Kitamura is going to beat Mike Elgin. I feel it in my bones.

Also, what's the deal with Henare? Did he get the David Finlay graduation where you don't go on excursion and are completely ignored? It's a bit of a bummer because I had high hopes for him.

I think it's safe to say with his mild renaming and gear he isn't going on excursion. Hopefully he avoids Finlay syndrome as he definitely has a higher ceiling than that.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
So why did they go with the old retired guy to win the NJ rumble instead of using it to make a young guy look strong?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

becuase it's not really important and they wanted a feel good moment where they paid tribute to takayama. Suzuki's one of the only guys they have who's a true heel and was set to important match so they couldn't use him.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 9, 2018

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Bigass Moth posted:

So why did they go with the old retired guy to win the NJ rumble instead of using it to make a young guy look strong?
Because it's a pre-show match that uses as many of the guys that didn't make it onto the main show and adding a few surprise entrants in order to get the crowd excited. Winning it means very, very little - probably even less than the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royale that at least gets its winner something to brag about for a few weeks.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

sad no chaos or kenny on fantasticamania but it'll still be fun. it's nice to have cmll guys in a watchable format/environment because watching arena mexico to me is like being hit in the head with a squeaky rubber mallet repeatedly.

january has to be the best value month of njpw world this year with the new beginning shows not in feb.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The last week of March through the first week of April is gonna be brutal from a wrestling fan perspective. The New Japan Cup final, the US show, Sakura Genesis and Mania, plus all the Mania week indie stuff, all in a 2 week span...

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

27th-28th of this month is gonna be grueling as dave's been moaning about. 27th is the first Sapporo show and NXT Takeover, and the second half of the doubleshot and the Rumble is on the 28th. I've mostly stopped watching wwe but even i'll make exceptions for the top ppvs and takeovers.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Also he recently recovered from cancer. It was 100% a feel good moment.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Same general idea as bringing back Hogan and giving him another title reign in the early 2000's, except, you know, nowhere near as harmful because you aren't putting the old guy over stars in serious matches and building the show around him.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Bigass Moth posted:

The NJ Rumble doesn't mean poo poo & isn't supposed to mean poo poo.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Elgin's (final?) tour includes working with some of the old NJPW hands. Their input on how he carries himself will be considered if they retain him.

So unless he turns in 5 star efforts or becomes expert bag carrier/back shaver, don't expect him after this tour.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, asking him to put over Kitamura might be a good call, see how he reacts, if they're just basing it on his professional behaviour and not the personal stuff.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Thauros posted:

27th-28th of this month is gonna be grueling as dave's been moaning about. 27th is the first Sapporo show and NXT Takeover, and the second half of the doubleshot and the Rumble is on the 28th. I've mostly stopped watching wwe but even i'll make exceptions for the top ppvs and takeovers.

Imagine if you want to catch all NJPW and WWE programming.

27: New Beginning day 1 + NXT Takeover
28: New Beginning day 2 + Royal Rumble
29: RAW
30: SD Live + 205 Live
31: NXT

:gonk:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

you could skip the WWE programming and just enjoy good wrestling that isn't intentionally booked to piss you off.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

coconono posted:

you could skip the WWE programming and just enjoy good wrestling that isn't intentionally booked to piss you off.

That's what all the cool people will do, and also the people who are not cool but who'll still do that like me, but there are 100 % some people out there who'll want to watch all of that. At the very least Dave Meltzer

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

extradite THIS! posted:

That's what all the cool people will do, and also the people who are not cool but who'll still do that like me, but there are 100 % some people out there who'll want to watch all of that. At the very least Dave Meltzer

Dave's not watching 205.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
If anyone finds an early bird link for the AU tour tickets, DM me that poo poo.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm all aboard for the Kitamura challenge tour! This is the most I've seen a young lion featured since I've started watching NJPW so I assume management is high on him too.

The tag title one night/singles titles next night is an interesting arrangement I haven't seen them do before. It's fun to see the tag titles at the top of the card but I don't expect it to last. That big multi man elimination match should be great too.

I'm wondering if Jericho will beat Naito to set up a title shot. He should be putting over youner guys but that's the only way an Okada match makes sense.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
the funniest thing about kitamura to me is that he does the spear and jackhammer combo

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

• it's a relatively new event and is designed to play out while people get to their seats. It takes the place of a ten-man elimination match from years past. It's really not that important, and isn't booked as such.
  • The winner, Masahito Kakihara, was a mid-card familiar name from NJPW and UWF in the 90s and early 2000s, and had just survived a high-profile bout with cancer. I didn't recognize him but it popped the crowd pretty huge. As also mentioned, he's a friend and contemporary of Yoshihiro Takayama, and it was a way they could pay homage and support Takayama in his recovery. The higher profile wrestler who's been doing that work as well is Minoru Suzuki, but as mentioned, it would've been weird for him to break character and do that after/before his own match.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Kitamura's gonna go to Mexico and do all of the steroids and it's gonna own. God bless the Swole Vampire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Benne posted:

Kitamura's gonna go to Mexico and do all of the steroids and it's gonna own. God bless the Swole Vampire.

This insinuates he hasn’t already done all the steroids