Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
after spending a good weekend struggling to get box2d bodies to display right on screen and learning how to get those coords to translate to SDL coords, i finally got stuff to draw at the right proportions!

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/950258327937667073

hooray, physics! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/950376691104436224

Most of today's progress. I'll be moving on to other team members and passing soon!

Edit: Man I got a lot of work done today!

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/950483552554094593

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 8, 2018

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
day 4 progress: a proper camera system is now implemented, and i've started working on the snail's movement. i feel like i might be playing around too much with the controls to make them feel right, but it's leading me to cool ideas like having him crawl around on walls and ceilings.

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/950672218853335040

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I'm enjoying all these progress updates, especially because I have no clue how they relate to the theme.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Myron posted:

I'm enjoying all these progress updates, especially because I have no clue how they relate to the theme.

Theme adherence is a score, not a rule.

But c'mon doesn't thou know of the legendary snail which, low, did pull Excalibur from the stone and slew the wretched dragon?

Or that Yul Brynner successfully managed a basketball stunt college for lookalikes called Yul Skool?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD0QYwdcyvI

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
These are all extremely Historically accurate games

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Myron posted:

Olmec heads flew in the past. Go ask a librarian they can confirm.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Theme adherence is a score, not a rule.

Kinda true. If you ignore the theme you're not going to win anything.

If you SUPER ignore the theme and can't even make a case for it to be related to the theme, you'll get on the wall of shame.

So in a way, it's kind of a rule.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm kind of hoping the weird history angle is what get's some of our weirder, alt-history stuff in the door cos there is a surfing skeleton and I really want to know WHY (asides from WHY NOT?)

Work form today in twitter form!

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/950839067394093056

Smooth camera movement! Wow!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I'll tell you why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNbTlgmNRFc

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 5:

Olmec Air Force is doing test flights, seems fairly effective. Time to learn about attaching objects to other objects at runtime. Then, I need some sort of goal and a moving camera.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 10, 2018

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Day 5

Have a concept, nothing to do with the theme yet, but I've made several decisions, so that's something.

Features: unsubstantiated screenshake, 3 characters to choose from on the fly (for some reason), 10 colours plus the ones I haven't bothered replacing yet.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

Day 5:

Olmec Air Force is doing test flights, seems fairly effective. Time to learn about attaching objects to other objects at runtime. Then, I need some sort of goal and a moving camera.

See, now it makes perfect sense!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/951175255279702016

Things are starting to take shape. Tomorrow I'm working on... Maybe a button to catch an active ball and passing! I dunno?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Shoehead posted:

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/951175255279702016

Things are starting to take shape. Tomorrow I'm working on... Maybe a button to catch an active ball and passing! I dunno?

This is very reminiscent of Technos Super Dodge Ball, right down to the sprite flicker

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Hey all.

We finally have a jam logo for you to use in splash screens and whatever else!

Here's the art pack with all the ~official~ Awful Jams logos!

ART PACK . ZIP

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Very nice logo!

Day 6: Progress?

I was originally thinking of going with a sort of KSP "attach rockets to the head in varying configurations and see how far you fly" but I'm not yet sure if I'd prefer that to just having the rockets attached by default and letting the player fly and try to avoid obstacles and see how high they can get into space. :shrug:

At the very least the Olmec Head is not at all disturbed by rockets flying everywhere. Calm fellow.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TomR posted:

Loving that Olmec head.

Hitlersaurus Christ get in the discord.

I really should download discord, huh... Not sure how many people are on when I’m generally free though due to my time zone.

I’ve narrowed my choices down to:

- The Magic School Bus Fucks Up, an adventure game where you have to fix history by preventing students that were lost in time after a bus accident from stuff like conquering countries, becoming religious figures and stopping terrorist attacks. Examples would be talking Arnold out of killing Hitler and helping Oda Nobunaga defeat wandering samurai Carlos and conquer feudal Japan.
I entered SAGDC about 5 years ago in the last 60 or so hours and pumped out the very beginnings of a shmup called The Magic School Bus Surfs The Deep Web, and while it consisted of about a level and a half and some cutscenes in between levels I was kinda proud of the writing and have always wanted an excuse to either remake it or make something else in that twisted version of the MSB universe.

- Historicats, a game where you have to make lazy cats dressed like historical figures act out historical events by placing things like toys or food or vacuum cleaners. Possible ideas for Historicats include getting Jesus Cat who is scared of water to cross it in order to get Mewcified on a cross shaped scratching post (no violence of course, just getting tied with some yarn), and getting a cat to bat a huge ball of yarn at a bunch of toy dinosaurs to knock them over to cause an extinction.The major problem with this game would be the amount of work compared to the amount of time I’d have available, since I work full time now as opposed to last year’s winter jam.

- 90 Second History, a game made up of 10 second mini games based on events throughout Earth’s history. Instead of having any sort of fail state, the next games would have changes reflecting the outcome of the previous ones — I.E. humans being replaced by dino-people if the T-Rex you controlled in the first minigame managed to avoid all the meteorites. The game would end by showing you your timeline’s 2018. I’ve made a tiny prototype of it but the amount of work required to make every combination of decisions count would probably be more than I’d bargain for.

I’ve got prototype pictures for the latter two, I’ll post them when I’m not on mobile.

Bonus dialogue I wrote for a mock-up I sent my artist of American History X, which I’ve decided against making:

“Squanto, the navigator helping cyborg Lincoln on his adventures” posted:

This is bad... Saddam Hussein has sent Viet Kong samurai to hijack Harriet Tubman’s underground hyper-rail! If they convert that thing into airplane mode, they could carry out a 9/11... maybe even 2!
Yeah... turned out to be a bit of a stinker.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 11, 2018

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I don't really want to post a proper progress report for some reason, but here's an awkward dork bullshitting his way through a book report:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I am not competing / am currently crunching on something else entirely, so just popping in to say:

y'all are making amazing stuff this year. There's already stuff this year that I'm hoping folks polish into Actual Games For Selling.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I’ve narrowed my choices down to:

I've been meaning to tell you this but since you're never in Discord it keeps slipping my mind.

After Vinesauce played your game we had horn-balls emailing the Awful Jams support address for weeks asking where they could get the full version of "Goddess Breasters" from Super Mega 256-in-1. Some even joined the Discord demanding it.

Do with that what you will. Vinesauce is going to be playing the games again this year, but man did slightly teasing a ero game bring out the weirdos.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ALFbrot posted:

This is very reminiscent of Technos Super Dodge Ball, right down to the sprite flicker

Heck yeah, right now it runs a little faster that Super Dodge Ball but it might slow down soon. I'm at a weird spot with that game were I get frustrated by how slowly you move, but I also know part of what makes it work is that you have 6 years to anticipate an incoming ball.

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/951557597450133507

Here's what I managed to get done today. Thankfully I got loads done yesterday or I'd be making GBS threads it right now. The Universe knows a jam is on

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 7: It may not look like things are changing much, but at the least I am learning.

Also it is an interesting challenge to try and fly this: one key controls the left booster, the other the right. If you want to move left, you need to release the left, but not too much or you'll roll. I may need to change it so once you let go it idles at 50% thrust to not over-roll too easily.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 12, 2018

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
An entire week has gone by and I've got nearly nothing done for gameplay, but I've at least finished WRITING the NLP model.

It has also reminded me how much I hate working with Twitter data.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

JonTerp posted:

I've been meaning to tell you this but since you're never in Discord it keeps slipping my mind.

After Vinesauce played your game we had horn-balls emailing the Awful Jams support address for weeks asking where they could get the full version of "Goddess Breasters" from Super Mega 256-in-1. Some even joined the Discord demanding it.

Do with that what you will. Vinesauce is going to be playing the games again this year, but man did slightly teasing a ero game bring out the weirdos.

Wait, Vinesauce played the summer jam games? Wait, he played MY lovely game?!
Sorry I unintentionally unleashed a wave of internet perverts. I came up with the name first as a parody of those shameless anime boob games like Senran Kagura then decided it'd make more sense as a PC Engine game for my game. Like the Game Ball one and the panda one it was just meant to gently caress with the player, which it apparently did. I just let my artist do whatever for the art but maybe she should have made something less... titillating, I guess?

I've all but decided to make Historicats, but if people like a different idea I'll switch over to that. Here's some lovely prototype gifs:

90 Second History:
If you don't go extinct, the next game reflects that.

Historicats:
No history yet but the (placeholder) cat does sleep, eat, and poop.

Any opinions?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I was an idiot and decided to create my first isometric strategy game for this jam thinking we had a month and not 16 days.

Yesterday's tiny amount of progress:

I coded and then scrapped a ftl style node map wasting a lot of time.
Added a prop entity for things like exploding barrels and cacti.
Started some ui work adding in an icon to which unit is selected.

Problems I've run in to so far:
Mapping the mouse cursor to the tiles. I read that civ used bitmasks for tile selection and doing that seems to be the right way to go.
The angle of tiles is really important and was the first thing I worked out to make it aesthetically pleasing.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 12, 2018

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Finally got this finished today, I couldn't get the catching function to work without immediately making you drop the ball, which had the effect of the ball hitting your body and then bouncing directly up. I was getting very close to changing the catch to a block and leaving it in but check it out

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/951855943381340161

Turns out the timer to make sure you don't immediately pick up a ball after throwing/dropping it was way too generous, but for about 4 hours there, I had no idea. AAAHHHH well! Heading into the weekend I'm going to work on the menu layers and then spend most of next week on AI and bug testing. I'll have to get HP and knockouts done tonight.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I've added a few things and cleaned up some art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj_VaAn4lPg

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Wait, Vinesauce played the summer jam games? Wait, he played MY lovely game?!
Sorry I unintentionally unleashed a wave of internet perverts. I came up with the name first as a parody of those shameless anime boob games like Senran Kagura then decided it'd make more sense as a PC Engine game for my game. Like the Game Ball one and the panda one it was just meant to gently caress with the player, which it apparently did. I just let my artist do whatever for the art but maybe she should have made something less... titillating, I guess?

Nah it was actually hilarious to watch. If anything you should lean more into the stuff you did in Super Mega. It was a hit on stream, Vinny ended up playing the entire thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai-Zhdz3e2k&t=6172s

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

90 Second History:
If you don't go extinct, the next game reflects that.
I love this. Please continue with this one.

Since it's been about a week since the jam started and there was some urging from folks in the Discord server to post in the thread, I figured I'd offer a brief history (ha!) of my game's progress in .gif form:

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Boy does it ever feel like it's further in the jam than it really is. This is probably because I only just discovered a way to get my thing to fit the theme/have any idea of what I'm going for.

I'm making a dungeon crawler with random level generation and enemy spawns. I've been DMing a 5e D&D game with some friends for a year or so, so it's been on my mind to some extent for a long time. This game is going to tap into that in a simple way. The player can switch between 3 characters: Rogue (fast&close), Wizard (medium&long range), and Fighter (slow&close). The plan is for each character to have different abilities/parameters. It's going to stay simple though, they'll each only have 2-3 abilities, but hopefully I can implement some kind of... uh... "sharing" between them in terms of effects, but that might be too much. I'm considering difficulty options, but that's probably excessive for the remaining time. I've spent way more time on art than anything else, and I've got half of one decent song, but whatever.

My first foray into shaders in GMS, despite the simplicity. I really wish I used something similar to this for the Big Awful Jam '17. Also levelling is implemented, as are some consequences thereof. HP and Perception currently grow with the player's level.
E: Despite what someone mentioned in the Discord, the characters are not swinging their privates about to earn XP though it was very funny and I appreciated it this is a SERIOUS GAME for HARDCORE GAMERS

More of my progress stuff is on imgur here.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I’m back on my multiplayer game bullshit but I think I’ve planned my time well and will have something playable by the end of this weekend

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

90 Second History

This looks great, stick with this one.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hey, this is starting to look like a (jam) game:

https://vimeo.com/250936197

Still a long way to go to get it where I want to be, though.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I had just started to run clustering on all the speeches from former US presidents when I realized that being that serious for an AwfulJam would be like splicing a segment of The Human Centipede into the middle of Paul Blart: Mall Cop. I've pulled out the serious political bits and replaced them with more interesting demographics like, "People who think Adam West was the best Batman," and "People who walk slowly and take up the whole sidewalk."

I've also replaced the questions with stupid ideas I got from the /r/shittyaskscience subreddit and converted them to proctor questions.

I still have a ton of art to do.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Not sure what I'm doing or how it relates to the theme but it's something. sprite taken from opengameart because lol I can't draw

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Firmly in the panic stage at the moment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5S7Q8PrIfI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Spent the morning adding the speech timer, integrating the demographic scoring, and adding player feedback.

https://twitter.com/JCatrambone/status/952279664071868417

Spent the evening getting the end-of-game election screen drawing. Nihilos had a great idea to solve my problem. I need to draw each state with the election results, but I don't want to hand localize fifty loving sprites, and making each state an island in a vast zero-alpha picture will righteously gently caress my atlas. However, storing a map of grey values and using that as a lookup in a shader...

• Locked thread