Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Is this what the original broken Matt stuff was like because it is loving terrible in its current form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bradzilla posted:

Is this what the original broken Matt stuff was like because it is loving terrible in its current form

no it’s the usual WWE thing of thinking they know how to make a gimmick better and loving it up completely

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

bradzilla posted:

Nope this is WWE

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I thought they gave Matt creative control over the character? Guess not.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

bradzilla posted:

I thought they gave Matt creative control over the character? Guess not.

I'm guessing WWE creative control (in regards to a Midcard act at the least), is a lot more constrained than what he could get away with in TNA. Hell want to say Bray has creative control on his promos, and, well.

Also it's not like WWE are letting Matt go have a debate with a Giraffe, it's still WWE cookie cutter "alright you've got five minutes, go cut a promo." Week in, week out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Broken Matt was bad too.

Sanguinia posted:

Nia's storyline with Enzo is REALLY interesting. They almost seem like they're setting her up as a modern day Chyna with the relationship with shirtbird Enzo the Undeserving Champ, but I can't see them going all the way to letting her body Cruisers to help Enzo keep his title in TYOOL 2018, so I'm not sure what the point is. They've set her up on a collision course with Asuka way prematurely, but she's been pretty sympathetic with all her worrying over Enzo's flu and now when Alexa tries to manipulate her she's smart enough to easily see through it... but attacks Asuka anyway. There's a lot of nuance here and it feels like its going somewhere, but its murky at this point.

In the earlier segment Alexa tells Asuka she's going to regret what she called Nia.

If Alexa is supposed to have just been making that up, that first segment doesn't make any sense at all.

So Nia is just a moron and maybe racist.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I kinda like the broken matt theme song

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Jason Jordan as a cringe inducing geek sounds alot better than when that was face sami zayn's gimmick. Probably because it isn't a punishment.

If Goldust + Alicia or Rusev + Lana don't win the MMC I'll be sad. Can't Miz just technically win the whole thing by never tagging out Asuka and tagging her back in everytime her opponent tags? At the absolute least that should be the strategy against Rusev and Lana.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Aphrodite posted:

Broken Matt was bad too.

In the earlier segment Alexa tells Asuka she's going to regret what she called Nia.

If Alexa is supposed to have just been making that up, that first segment doesn't make any sense at all.

So Nia is just a moron and maybe racist.

Pretty much. Alexa and Nia are jerks here.

Nia is probably losing next week as well (or it will end in a no contest). People are speculating this will be Asuka's first real feud (Nia/Asuka) until Elimination Chamber. I say until Elimination Chamber because if they double eliminate each other at the Royal Rumble (or Asuka gets hosed over by Nia, or vice versa), they'll probably face off in a #1 contenders match at Elimination Chamber, assuming the women don't have a chamber match. I do not think Nia is winning the Rumble though, and anyone who thinks otherwise has never seen a Rumble before. I don't think many giants win the Rumble. They tend to be the victim to the "everyone gangs up on them and tosses the giant out" trope WWE loves.

It would possibly help Asuka get over with more casual viewers if they let her toss/suplex Nia around for a bit as well. The only thing that irritates me about this is if what is posted above is true, Alexa most likely won't be defending the title until Wrestlemania.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 9, 2018

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Pretending the Universal Title doesn't exist, AJ as the champ, Roman with a midcard belt, and nobody as US champion is probably the most fitting the main singles titles have looked in years. Let's just retire the US belt and bring back a goofy title.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

what I took from last night is that miz is the only thing I care about on raw

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

DarkstarIV posted:

I don't think many giants win the Rumble. They tend to be victim to the "everyone gangs up on them and tosses the giant out" trope WWE loves.

Although to be fair, that wasn't a rumble and it doesn't count the 80 or 90 battle royales he lost. A few biggish guys have won but I think Yokozuna was the last "OMG HOW DO YOU GET THIS GUY OVER THE TOP ROPE!?!?!" winner.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Braun's going to be a good ARMBAR winner this Mania

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Looking over random rumble statistics, Roman is 7th for longest time in a rumble after enduring a grueling 59 minutes and 50 seconds. Just 13 seconds away from beating Flair's record. Shoulda took a longer nap.

Kane records mention Diesel. Wtf Fake Diesel entered a rumble?

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 9, 2018

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I loled at "Asuka doesn't speak English."

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

a new study bible! posted:

I loled at "Asuka doesn't speak English."

Yeah, that's probably something that isn't going to be brought back up next week, considering WWE blew that to pieces fairly quickly. It would probably have more credence if Nia said: "Asuka's English isn't that great."

But its WWE.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even if you consider that they might not have known the Goldust/Asuka taped segment was going to air just before that, she still had an English conversation with Alexa earlier on the show that this was a direct follow-up to.

It's amazing.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Aphrodite posted:

Even if you consider that they might not have known the Goldust/Asuka taped segment was going to air just before that, she still had an English conversation with Alexa earlier on the show that this was a direct follow-up to.

It's amazing.

So what I've learned from this entire thing is that Nia is a horrible racist jerk as a result of this. At least Alexa never actually insinuated that Asuka doesn't speak English.

(I know its WWE booking but still)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Blaise330 posted:

Although to be fair, that wasn't a rumble and it doesn't count the 80 or 90 battle royales he lost. A few biggish guys have won but I think Yokozuna was the last "OMG HOW DO YOU GET THIS GUY OVER THE TOP ROPE!?!?!" winner.

That ending worked the gently caress out of me so clearly they should do it more often

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I'm down for a Sandow return at the rumble.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

:aronrex:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Bray was writing his own stuff (more or less) at the beginning, then at some point WWE did the WWE thing and went "We can do this better ourselves"

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I'm not sure how you would write this without making the victim look like a total dweeb, but I've always wanted to see an ending to the Rumble where the last guy beat up his opponent so savagely that the opponent willingly eliminated themselves to avoid further injury. I'm thinking like a Pentagon Jr. type just repeatedly "breaking" the arm and gesturing to the rope as if to say "You know how to make this stop." But unless you had a comedy jobber as the second-to-last guy, I don't think anyone would agree to being punked out like that.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Simple enough: make the final 2 Roman and Jordan.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Samoa Joe is injured according to PWInsider. He had won the fan vote, but apparently now its Bayley and Elias teaming up.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

DarkstarIV posted:

Samoa Joe is injured according to PWInsider. He had won the fan vote, but apparently now its Bayley and Elias teaming up.

that's a shame. bayley and joe would be kind of fun together, i think. also boo, joe hurt again. the guy can't catch a break.

i also like a lot of stuff on raw. the jason jordan stuff is finally starting to make sense, balor club is good, finn has a lot more personality when he's hanging out with gallows and anderson, and yeah having these groups starting to get heated in time for the rumble is perfect. nia and enzo and alexa are in some sort of degrassi storyline and, well, it's weird but i'm interested, i won't deny that.

on smackdown i'm just hoping daniel bryan doesn't kill himself and maybe shinsuke can have a good opponent once in awhile.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Bayley and Joe would have been great but I can get behind Bayley annoying the poo poo out of Elias and the two singing songs together.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
broken matt is only good when he has brother nero to work with

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
as someone who just passingly pays attention to nxt bayley always seemed like a wrestler nxt fans ironically got over and just always sucked, because her gimmick does and she is terrible on the mic, come at me smarks

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Do it ironically posted:

as someone who just passingly pays attention to nxt bayley always seemed like a wrestler nxt fans ironically got over and just always sucked, because her gimmick does and she is terrible on the mic, come at me smarks

Agreed she is dire

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bard Maddox posted:

broken matt is only good when he has brother nero to work with

Jeff playing it one hundred percent straight was a big part of it. So was the protracted war over their expansive estates, so was the incompetent cinematography, that they did all this bullshit on TNA's dime cuz they were frustratedly out of ideas for the fifth time that day before lunch, and a few other things that the WWE cannot replicate.

Having him as a mockery of Bray is not the worst idea. Suffers from the same thing as Bray, that it's leading to nothing, and never could lead to anything.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

like everybody else in NXT, Bayley had her strengths played to and weaknesses hidden pretty well. they didn’t put her out there with a live mic for ten minutes explaining overwrought dialogue about how she’s sad all the time, she was allowed to speak with passion and conviction that got over with her incredibly natural and likable charisma. it worked very well and then they undid it on the main roster

the faults of the performer nearly never measure up to the faults of the creative in WWE

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
counterpoint rusev can get himself incredibly over no matter the terrible writing he is given, how many excuses does a wrestler get before you can just say they're not very good?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

She was fine. Her gimmick was a better version of Cena that kids could totally get behind cause she’s bubblegum as all hell. Her wrestling is fine. She’s not a great talker but shes infectiously happy. They could make a lot of money off her if they tried, but that’s basically the story of WWE.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

some people have the ability to do anything and make it entertaining but far, far, far more people do not and that’s fine! if you could have a roster full of those guys you would but those people are special for a reason. the point is that you had somebody who showed the ability to create buzz and investment in the character and it was repeatedly mishandled in a way that follows the same patterns of WWE booking for years upon years

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Do it ironically posted:

counterpoint rusev can get himself incredibly over no matter the terrible writing he is given, how many excuses does a wrestler get before you can just say they're not very good?

Just because a few people can juggle with one hand tied behind their back doesn't mean that it's not unfair that everyone is told to do it, even if they're really good at juggling two handed.

Like, yes, AJ Styles got over despite Vince thinking he was a nobody, but he's literally the best wrestler on the roster. I mean, for gently caress's sake, Juice Robinson got himself super-over in New Japan and he was a hippie envionmentalist jobber in WWE. How many people does WWE creative have to demonstrably screw up and make LESS over than they were on the indies/NXT/their first night on RAW before we can say creative sucks?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe Bayley only had 500 fans they just showed up every week.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe Bayley only had 500 fans they just showed up every week.

this is dumb and you know its dumb

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's true that's way too many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

To pretend Bayley Was Always Bad and wasn't one of the most popular acts on the NXT roster is loving moronic. The problem with her on the main roster is the problem with everyone else they bring up, they think everyone has already seen the story on NXT instead of retelling it on the big stage.

but sure Everyone Was Always Bad that loving mentality sucks

• Locked thread