Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Grapplejack posted:

With Eric's post I legitimately don't understand what podcast networks actually do. It sounds like they don't handle live shows or hosting. Do they automate ad buys for the show?

They can exponentially increase one's visibility, for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

With Eric's post I legitimately don't understand what podcast networks actually do. It sounds like they don't handle live shows or hosting. Do they automate ad buys for the show?

Yeah, they handle ad sales.

They might also help book venues and travel.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 6, 2018

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

clown shoes posted:

All the Fast/Furious movies are poo poo. It's the worst franchise.

drown in your ideals and die

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the fast and the furious movies, but starring juggalos

Violator
May 15, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, they handle ad sales.

They might also help book venues and travel.

It’s my understanding that the networks help with advertising your show, infrastructure (ie you don’t want a podcast on your network running out of bandwidth), and ad sales. The boys do all of the live show stuff themselves unless it’s a network specific event.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the bonus episode is funny as always but i couldn't disagree more with how much they disliked it

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
The new " boss baby" episode is fantastic, and i got a feeling its the highest the guys ever been while recording.
Now suck it .

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

clown shoes posted:

All the Fast/Furious movies are poo poo. It's the worst franchise.

No way, dude. CGI cars rule!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Grapplejack posted:

Pretty sure the 110~ episodes in question (unavailable on the main feed) were all released years before they were members of a network. Perhaps that explains the need to manage them manually?

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I assume HeadGum maintains https://headgum.com/we-hate-movies and Eric updates the links on http://www.whmpodcast.com. Both sites link to art19.com hosting now. It seems like a lot of podcasts rely solely on their network for a website and abandon old sites as things change. WHM is going above and beyond what a lot of shows do.

Of the first 110 episodes the ones that were featured as a summer rewind are still directly linked for free.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

kalensc posted:

Pretty sure the 110~ episodes in question (unavailable on the main feed) were all released years before they were members of a network. Perhaps that explains the need to manage them manually?

They all have copyrighted songs and poo poo since it was before someone gave them their own theme song. And they didn't want to re edit 100+ episodes to remove it

That's why none of the podcast feeds carry episodes pre 110 iirc.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This new episode aggravates me. They're coming into the series way late and have no idea what's going on and Fate of the Furious was nowhere near one of the worst movies of last year. All the gripes they have about this movie are moments that were entertaining as gently caress.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I have never seen a Furious movie but they sound crazy dumb

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This new episode aggravates me. They're coming into the series way late and have no idea what's going on and Fate of the Furious was nowhere near one of the worst movies of last year. All the gripes they have about this movie are moments that were entertaining as gently caress.

Maybe don't listen to a show called We Hate Movie if you like the movie?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sponges posted:

Yes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Unmature posted:

Maybe don't listen to a show called We Hate Movie if you like the movie?

They make funny jokes, so when they don't like a movie I like, there's plenty of entertainment value

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

sponges posted:

The fifth one is the best, it's Ocean's 11 but in Rio. If you're going to watch just one, watch that one. The rest have their moments, like 7 with The Rock driving an ambulance into a drone, ripping of its minigun, then using that minigun to shoot at a helicopter.

I think that's just an issue with #8. All the other movies stand on their own well enough. 8 just drops you in and assumes you know the dynamics of everyone and then flips it around with the dumb betrayal story line.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

It's the Parademons all over again

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Mom, get in here! They didn't like Fast and the Furious 8!

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

sponges posted:

You're missing out on unwatchable garbage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
They talk a lot on the show about movies they saw a thousand times growing up because they were always on TV or whatever.

2Fast 2Furious was that movie for me, mostly because my little brother was loving obsessed with it. I have refused to watch another second of the franchise since, and I am glad to be vindicated in that decision by internet funnymen.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

clown shoes posted:

You're missing out on unwatchable garbage.

Nah. 4 and 8 are the only ones I'd call outright bad; 1-3 are fine, I guess, and 5-7 are literally among the greatest action movies ever made.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
8 is so bad because you spend 7 movies gradually bringing together this ensemble cast and then you decide to make 90% of them spend the entire movie in a control room.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The worst F&F movie was the one that featured the seemingly 20 mile long runway in the final act.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Gonz posted:

The worst F&F movie was the one that featured the seemingly 20 mile long runway in the final act.

It was bad but not because of the runway scene.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Gonz posted:

The worst F&F movie was the one that was made.

I can enjoy movies so stupid they're fun. The F&F movies are just dumb.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I don’t hate the F&F movies, but I do think the series has gained a bit of a cult of personality over the last couple of entries. I can’t even tell you how many thinkpieces I’ve seen comparing the films to a superhero franchise or an elaborate D&D campaign. They’re fine, but they’re also rife for mockery.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fart City posted:

I don’t hate the F&F movies, but I do think the series has gained a bit of a cult of personality over the last couple of entries. I can’t even tell you how many thinkpieces I’ve seen comparing the films to a superhero franchise or an elaborate D&D campaign. They’re fine, but they’re also rife for mockery.

i mean, those are both basically accurate though? there's a possibly-apocryphal story that Justin Lin got Vin Diesel back on board by laying out his plan for the franchise as a D&D campaign, even.

i agree they're rife for mockery, though, they're very silly movies. that just doesn't make them bad. they're pretty fuckin' good at what they do, honestly, 4 and 8 aside.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Tokyo Drift is life.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i agree they're rife for mockery, though, they're very silly movies. that just doesn't make them bad. they're pretty fuckin' good at what they do, honestly, 4 and 8 aside.
8 isn't even remotely as much of a slog as 4. Did we watch different movies? :psyduck:

Like WHM calling this "unwatchable" baffles me. It's full of enjoyable moments. It doesn't hit the highs of previous entries in the series, but it also doesn't hit the series' lows either.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I live my life a quart of milk at a time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Like WHM calling this "unwatchable" baffles me. It's full of enjoyable moments. It doesn't hit the highs of previous entries in the series, but it also doesn't hit the series' lows either.

Eh, nobody is gonna be right 100% of the time. They also said the elves in Bright are clearly supposed to be Jews, which is... an odd take, to say the least

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Eh Jupin actually enjoyed it, so it wasn't unanimous.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A good portion of the episode is talking about how things in this relate to the other movies though.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
There are probably worse Fast and the Furious movies and worse films of 2017. Watching the entire series like they did with Transformers could have been great as they witnessed the escalating absurdity and confusing chronology. Seems like wasted potential for an okay episode. I'm not mad, just disappointed.

The Twinkie Czar fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 10, 2018

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
F8 isn't very good, but they're missing out on some much worse (and more interesting) movies from 2017. The Circle, how can they miss The Circle?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Circle is too boring to be the worst anything. It's like a movie length iPod commercial, with smaller iPod commercials nested within it (like the Beck scene, my lord)

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
What episode has them going on a little tangent about Unsolved Mysteries and how the show started running out of actual murders/missing persons/lost heir material so they started running stories about the Bigfoot and such? Like a dream, I can vividly picture the bit, but all the surrounding details are fuzzy, so if anyone here remembers, then maybe you can help solve a mystery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This is kinda generic and subjective, I know, but has there been any episodes in the last 20-30 episodes that are particularly funny? Nothing against the hosts, but I've had this huge apathetic span of late where I see there's a new episode, feel nothing for the title, and just mark it read.