Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

khwarezm posted:

'I don't why people like you want trite "love prevails!" type messages in black mirror.' Sorry this is some disastrous word salad, if you mean 'I don't know why people like you want "love prevails!" type messages in black mirror"... did you read the post you just responded to? What do you think I'm saying?

you are very smart, pointed out grammar error and anything. tell me sir, do you have actual response to anything i actually said?

even in threads like these complaining about grammar makes you look like a twat, mate.

also i looked at your original post, and it was a lot worse than i remembered it being, so i'm not surprised you weren't able to mount an actual response to my post. maybe if we make a digital copy of you and give it a 1000 years to write a post then maybe we'll get something worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have a question about the tech of Black Museum. Was it stated at any point that the consciousness transfer was the true consciousness, or was it just a copy? I mean, I know the souvenirs are just copies, but was the woman who transferred into her husband's head the original woman, or a copy, and the original just died?

EDIT: Also, if the souvenirs are just copies, how does that really get back at Rolo Hayes? The original Rolo is dead and gone, these are just brand new versions of him, based off of him as he was dying. Then again, I guess that sort of loops back to USS Callister; torture the copies because you can't torture the actual person (at least anymore, in Rolo's case).

Ugh, the implications of that :negative:

the consciousnesses are all digital copies of real human people most of the time, there haven't been any cookies made from whole cloth not copying a real person. other than that, the question of "transfer" of person is philosophical. physically there's no transfer, it'd be like if you clone yourself, your consciousness won't transfer to your clone's mind, and you are two different beings who will diverge immediately from the point that the copy was made.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think what they do is sedate the person, copy the consciousness and then euthanize the original. So the original dies without knowing it, and the copy keeps on going. Kind of like being transported in Star Trek. Or existing in real life as your body replaces itself.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh no, please, not the stupid loving transporter argument again, it never ends.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well, if it is nothing more than a copy, that both sucks for the wife who just wanted to hold her son again (and the original woman just flat-out won't be able to), but is also good for the convicted murderer, as even though they made a copy, the original is dead.

I know that White Christmas (and the keychain-thingies in Black Mirror) specifically dealt with copies, outright. I just wasn't sure if Black Museum was trying to imply that the original consciousness of the original person WAS transferred (or for clarity's sake, 'moved'), and nothing was left over. Unless I missed a line of dialogue? It feels like Rolo, knowing this, deliberately gave an incorrect or unspecific description of what actually happens. It would change the intent, really.

"Hey, we can allow your wife to live again in your mind/the body of this teddy bear, so she can hug your son" vs "we'll make a copy of your wife for your sake."

Because if it's just a copy, what does the original care?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
For the purpose of the black museum monkey story I guess it was a transfer. For the purpose of the white christmas story it was a copy. Monkey one does seem different from the others, but I guess it was the prototype of what followed.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 9, 2018

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I assumed the souvenirs were total, aware copies who were stuck in a constant pain loop and you can witness their eternal, looped agony. Which is just all kinds of hosed up, and if you disagree you're hosed up.

Like, even when (guess spoilers are open now because it's been almost a month) Rolo gets what he deserves in the end, it doesn't really change the fact that there are hundreds of eternally-suffering Claytons out there in the world who will never be free. I guess one could assume that people destroyed them after the backlash (Was that mentioned at all? I didn't think it was.), but if there are any still out there then there'd be fully-aware Clayton copies suffering agonizing pain forever.

vv Jesus, has it only been a week?! :psyduck:

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 9, 2018

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

(guess spoilers are open now because it's been almost a month)

???

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

vv Jesus, has it only been a week?! :psyduck:

Turns out you're a cookie and your time dial is being hosed with, sorry dude.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

Like, even when (guess spoilers are open now because it's been almost a month) Rolo gets what he deserves in the end, it doesn't really change the fact that there are hundreds of eternally-suffering Claytons out there in the world who will never be free. I guess one could assume that people destroyed them after the backlash

Destroying digital consciousnesses is illegal and compared to murder, so I guess not.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Destroying digital consciousnesses is illegal and compared to murder, so I guess not.

Though it's odd that it wasn't illegal to create them from a machine as a trinket.

Technology and society! :argh:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Fututor Magnus posted:

you are very smart, pointed out grammar error and anything. tell me sir, do you have actual response to anything i actually said?

even in threads like these complaining about grammar makes you look like a twat, mate.

also i looked at your original post, and it was a lot worse than i remembered it being, so i'm not surprised you weren't able to mount an actual response to my post. maybe if we make a digital copy of you and give it a 1000 years to write a post then maybe we'll get something worth reading.

What the gently caress is the matter with you? Like the ridiculous amount of hostility you brought to this right off the bat is one thing, but moreover I seriously don't understand why you seem to think my post you first responded to was saying they should have had a true love prevails ending for that episode. That's why I'm asking you, what do you think I was saying with that post? Because your response reads like you're talking to someone else entirely or just totally misread it, yet now you're dancing around declaring victory in an argument I didn't even know we were having.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Alhazred posted:

I'd say that would fall within the definition of mercy killing though, not that it makes it any more legal. I just wonder, if they really are consciousness copies, if you could liberate them somehow by transferring them out of the keychains into some humane containment unit.

You know, like Ghostbusters but with digital ghosts instead of ghost ghosts.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Well, if it is nothing more than a copy, that both sucks for the wife who just wanted to hold her son again (and the original woman just flat-out won't be able to), but is also good for the convicted murderer, as even though they made a copy, the original is dead.

It's an impossible question to answer. We don't know if you're still a continuous conciousness if you get transferred into another medium.

For me it feels like you're just getting a copy of your wife/mum/whatever in your head, which is dumb and sucks. But if it's actually them and you're saving them from death I guess...that's okay? Why not put them into a robot though. A proper one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Taear posted:

Why not put them into a robot though. A proper one.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My fiance gets upset when i dont wake him up with a blowjob (self.relationship_advice)

quote:

My fiance with whom i live and i used to live together for 4 months, we were getting married in 2016 but i cancel the wedding one week before because i wasnt ready and we were having so many issues. Now we are back together and living together, he told me i have to give him head everyday to wake him up, if i dont do it he will get so upset at me, wont kiss me good morning, be sarcastic and tell me i cant do this relationship because i wont give him a blowjob every morning as per his requeste. I told him im human and i can be tired one morning, that it can happen and he got worse, he said he needs me to give him head daily to wake him up or we just cant be together. I really love him, he is caring besides this, but this is hurting me a lot. What should i do?

EDIT: he is into BDSM and told me that he likes the D/s all the time not only in bed which means he orders me what to do, i cannot ask him to go down on me or he gets upset, he does touch me and give me head but when he decided it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

My fiance gets upset when i dont wake him up with a blowjob (self.relationship_advice)

Black Mirror - what if blowjobs, but too much?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

Uh huh

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

Wow leaks are out already, season 5 is going to rule

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I have both threads bookmarked and I think that actually made me more confused.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Xealot posted:

Yeah, it would be “The Invaders” if the story actually revealed the dogs were controlled by other people. As it stands, it’s Terminator. Or Chopping Mall. Actually, Chopping Mall has a more overt social commentary.

The twist at the end of The Invaders was the worst part of it, Twilight Zone leaned on "it was(n't) Earth the whole time!!!" almost as bad as Black Mirror leans on "they were(n't) in a computer the whole time!!!", which is exactly what Metalhead would have been with that twist on top of throwing away all the cool personality and movement quirks that come from it being autonomous.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Guy Mann posted:

The twist at the end of The Invaders was the worst part of it, Twilight Zone leaned on "it was(n't) Earth the whole time!!!" almost as bad as Black Mirror leans on "they were(n't) in a computer the whole time!!!", which is exactly what Metalhead would have been with that twist on top of throwing away all the cool personality and movement quirks that come from it being autonomous.

It could still be autonomous, just as part of an automated fleet deployed by a military instead of rogue military tech with "kill all humans" AI.

As in "The Invaders," I don't think that reveal would be bad, because it reframes the conflict as an intentional choice made by Us. Thinking of the dog as a rogue killbot somewhat sanitizes the story, because it becomes a sort of malfunction. "We didn't intend this, oh hubris!" I'd prefer it the other way, because then it becomes about the actual world right now, where we deploy drones that kill mechanically and efficiently, but are so insulated from what that looks like that it feels morally neutral.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Yeah i think someone a few pages back mentioned something about maybe having a scene with a security guard and a little flashing light that says "Warehouse" and then he presses a button labeled "Dogs"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

A drone twist would work if it turned out it was being piloted by, like, Pakistani kids.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Mantis42 posted:

A drone twist would work if it turned out it was being piloted by, like, Pakistani kids.

With "made in the U.S." slapped somewhere on it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I really liked Crocodile as a what if criminal get technology story but the ending was too cute for its own good and I immediately turned on it. Good stuff gone bad. Dumb.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The dogs are Amazon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You know what would have made a great Black Mirror episode?

Stephen King's 'The Jaunt' :colbert:

Black Mirror season 5 should do a Jaunt adaptation.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I want Black Mirror to do an aliens episode

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Half the episodes are The Jaunt, anyway, really. The same torturous outcome of the technology.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I feel like you could do an entire season on the social implications of curing aging/mortality. From over population to even further disparity of wealth, to the ultimate devaluation of human life, I think it could be a really interesting area to explore. (Though I would be happy with just one episode)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

White Christmas is basically the same thing, with the cookie experiencing millions of years.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

WampaLord posted:

White Christmas is basically the same thing, with the cookie experiencing millions of years.

Yeah, I know. That's one of the reasons I love White Christmas so much; when I read The Jaunt, it really terrified me, thinking about that million-year-long+ span of nothingness. I know it would be retreading old ground, but goddamn, I just want The Jaunt to be adapted :negative:

There was a short fan film which covered the inventor right as he's inventing it, but it had nothing to do with sending a person through, or the over-arching story of the family going to Mars.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'd enjoy an episode where you got an item that allowed you to rewind time slightly. Maybe a day, so people stopped making mistakes.
Perhaps it could be framed around a person doing it over and over and over but the day just doesn't quite work, because it's too late to fix what they want to fix.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I want them to do something with retrofuturism, partially to get away from the "cell phones and social media BAD" undercurrent a lot of people take away from the show and partially because it would be a nice break from the sleek Apple look that dominates most if the show's tech.

My favorite Oats Studio short was the one set during the Vietnam war for that very reason, same with The Phantom Pain's rad 80s tech.

Anime_Ladies.html
Dec 13, 2017

by SA Support Robot
An episode about your terrible twitter opinions from 4/5 years ago being broadcast to everyone at all times.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xealot posted:

It could still be autonomous, just as part of an automated fleet deployed by a military instead of rogue military tech with "kill all humans" AI.

As in "The Invaders," I don't think that reveal would be bad, because it reframes the conflict as an intentional choice made by Us. Thinking of the dog as a rogue killbot somewhat sanitizes the story, because it becomes a sort of malfunction. "We didn't intend this, oh hubris!" I'd prefer it the other way, because then it becomes about the actual world right now, where we deploy drones that kill mechanically and efficiently, but are so insulated from what that looks like that it feels morally neutral.

The thing is it's not a malfunction, any moreso than salting the earth or setting a minefield or leaving a cloud of radioactive fallout. The sin isn't hubris, it's indifference. What we do in anger with hearts full of righteous justification today has consequences years, decades, maybe even centuries down the line, and by that point it doesn't matter who did what for which right or wrong reason. The more indiscriminate and distant the means of warfare, the more horrible, widespread and far-reaching the unintended consequences will be. "Metalhead" simply extrapolates that trend to the next most likely iteration of weapons of mass destruction.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this loving sucks

http://www.vulture.com/2016/10/every-black-mirror-episode-from-worst-to-best.html?wpsrc=nymag

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, that person is a total moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I know it's easy to get mad about rankings like that (Shut up and Dance at 14?!) but something that really fascinates me about the show is the insane variation I've seen from people over what are the worst and best episodes, out of all the shows I've watched BM is the most divisive I've ever seen when it comes to that question.