Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

LPG Giant posted:

Do you think it was an actual admission of love and Rex friendzoned her? I interpreted it as her meaning platonic love, like Rex more explicitly says.

The 1v1 shadow fight later makes it pretty clear it was romantic love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

LPG Giant posted:

I interpreted it as her meaning platonic love

yeah sure okay Rex whatever you say

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

U-DO Burger posted:

I didn't know what was in the Beast Core so I used it on Nia :shepicide:

Same, my dude. Wulfric is still a cool dude and useful for those annoying Superstrength and Earth Mastery checks. Also his Heart to Heart and Affinity quest are both great. When I get another Overdrive he is totally getting moved to Five, though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's a waste to spend time on Tiger Tiger anyway when you can just focus on making the 4th and 5th characters tanky instead. in the long run they will be more useful than Tora, who literally only has "monster HP pool and like 60% blockrate" as his pro, and doesn't even get a 3rd blade until like 80 percent through the game. Even if you torture yourself with Tiger Tiger grinding there's still no guarantee that you'll own the Tech Manuals to actually put all that poo poo to optimal use. The entire process to make Tora more than a brick wall is hosed. It was a cool idea on paper to have this alternative Blade but like a few other things in this game, the execution is godawful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ It's good in the end-game, and it's also kind of fun being able to effectively create a "custom blade" with the specific skills and stuff you want. Like, I tried putting a Critical V, Critical Restore V, the mod that increases critical damage, and the mod the heals for X% of auto-attack damage on Poppi QTpi as an experimental "DPS that heals themselves" build and it was neat how effective it was.

IcePhoenix posted:

Rex made the right choice though imo

What, how? I mean, I'm not a huge fan of Nia or anything, but she's still a heck of a lot better than Pyra/Mythra, who are both really boring. Not to mention the fact that the Rex/Pyra relationship always gave me really weird vibes, due to Rex looking like a 14 year old and Pyra looking like a grown-rear end adult in her 20s or something. And then there's the whole bizarre polygamy thing where a romance with Pyra necessitates a romance with Mythra as well. At least Nia is a single person.

The only good romance in this game is Five/Pandoria.

LPG Giant posted:

Do you think it was an actual admission of love and Rex friendzoned her? I interpreted it as her meaning platonic love, like Rex more explicitly says.

It was obviously an admission of romantic love on Nia's part. Not only does she make a "welp, I guess this is what I expected" sort of resigned face when Rex goes "I ALSO LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND," but later in the game (chapter 10 I think) it's explicitly confirmed that Nia was secretly upset about Rex only looking at Pyra.

In case anyone's curious, in Japanese that scene is a kind of typical thing where they both said "daisuki," with the resulting confusion due to it being used to imply both romantic love and platonic liking.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 9, 2018

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

it's a waste to spend time on Tiger Tiger anyway when you can just focus on making the 4th and 5th characters tanky instead. in the long run they will be more useful than Tora, who literally only has "monster HP pool and like 60% blockrate" as his pro, and doesn't even get a 3rd blade until like 80 percent through the game. Even if you torture yourself with Tiger Tiger grinding there's still no guarantee that you'll own the Tech Manuals to actually put all that poo poo to optimal use. The entire process to make Tora more than a brick wall is hosed. It was a cool idea on paper to have this alternative Blade but like a few other things in this game, the execution is godawful.

but..... robots

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Romance issues aside, Nia is like the only interesting character in the game so I'm not sure how you don't like her

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DLC Inc posted:

I agree with whoever suggested ages ago that Poppi upgrading should have been done through Salvaging. Salvaging is quick and fairly interesting. Salvaging gives you mad cash monies. Salvaging is also required for many other sidequests and also for story progression a time or two. Whereas Tiger Tiger is ONLY used to upgrade Poppi. That's not a good system. Even on easy mode, the levels are too hard to get a good result on and the drop rates for the exclusive prizes are too low. I like the idea behind Poppi and heck I even like her character a great deal! But the execution is just terrible. She requires way too much time investment to bring her to her full potential, which is a Blade that can be customized to do pretty much anything you want. That's a really cool idea and I like it!

Also I agree that Nia is cool and my friend. She's my favorite character.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ytlaya posted:

What, how? I mean, I'm not a huge fan of Nia or anything, but she's still a heck of a lot better than Pyra/Mythra, who are both really boring. Not to mention the fact that the Rex/Pyra relationship always gave me really weird vibes, due to Rex looking like a 14 year old and Pyra looking like a grown-rear end adult in her 20s or something. And then there's the whole bizarre polygamy thing where a romance with Pyra necessitates a romance with Mythra as well. At least Nia is a single person.

Chapter 7 spoilers.

It's extra weird that Pyra/Mythra is 500 at least. It's the opposite of the usual way around.
Maybe in Japan it's not as unpleasant that a 14 year old would date a 23 year old or whatever they're meant to be.

My problem with the whole Poppi thing is more that it feels disconnected from the rest of the game. Every other character gets involved with all the cool secret stuff in the game but Tora just can't.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I actually don't really mind the fact that pretty much every party member aside from Rex and Nia are just along for the ride. It would be worse in a way if they tried to shoe-horn some sort of deep plot relevance for the other party members.

One thing I was wondering about is if the perception of the Torna characters (+ Malos) varies depending upon the voice-over language. The JP voices do a good job of giving the Torna folks this sort of bitter tone that makes them come off as more "people united through their cynical resignation" than just "evil bad guys," particularly with Akhos and Malos.

In general, from what I've heard, the English voiceover is just too flawed to really be enjoyable. There are just too many awkward sounding places that make me feel sort of vicariously embarrassed. I didn't have this problem with XC1 (and I also found myself totally fine with the scene with Klaus and Galatea, which I'm pretty sure included the return of their XC1 voice actors). Any scene that involves a lot of emotion or yelling is particularly bad with the English. It's not so much that the JP voiceover is exceptionally good, but it's at least totally competent.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 9, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ytlaya posted:

Mythra is best blade (e: Nia is second though.)

Also LPG Giant people have already covered that it's clearly meant as romantic love and her reaction to getting friendzoned makes that pretty clear anyways even without the end game stuff

Ytlaya posted:

In general, from what I've heard, the English voiceover is just too flawed to really be enjoyable. There are just too many awkward sounding places that make me feel sort of vicariously embarrassed. I didn't have this problem with XC1 (and I also found myself totally fine with the scene with Klaus and Galatea, which I'm pretty sure included the return of their XC1 voice actors). Any scene that involves a lot of emotion or yelling is particularly bad with the English. It's not so much that the JP voiceover is exceptionally good, but it's at least totally competent.

Do you literally mean "what you heard" or are you just going off of what people say? Because the English VA is good and I'd wager most people who don't like it have really weird hangups about it and are just vocal minority-ing the hell out of it because it's not glirious nippon or something.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 9, 2018

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh it's cause you didn't experience Welsh Nia, I see why you don't care for her now

Japanese Nia feels pretty typical imo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Mythra is best blade

Also LPG Giant people have already covered that it's clearly meant as romantic love and her reaction to getting friendzoned makes that pretty clear anyways even without the end game stuff

Gameplay-wise I would agree, and as a person I prefer her to Pyra, but she's still a fairly standard "light tsundere" type.

By the way, regarding Pyra/Mythra, I have a plot-related question. What exactly is up with the Mythra creating Pyra stuff? Like, on one hand Mythra just says she created Pyra as a separate personality (I guess as an AI technically, since she's sorta an AI herself). But on the other hand, it's sort of implied that Pyra has some actual significance, like the scene where they're both standing in front of Aion, with Pyra seeming to represent the darker half. And then there's the fact that their "true form" is a combination of both Pyra and Mythra, which implies Pyra was a part of Pneuma all along.

IcePhoenix posted:

Do you literally mean "what you heard" or are you just going off of what people say? Because the English VA is good and I'd wager most people who don't like it have really weird hangups about it and are just vocal minority-ing the hell out of it because it's not glirious nippon or something.

Nah, I played the first couple chapters in English and also checked out a few of the cutscenes in English. It's not something where I always prefer the Japanese; like I said, I really liked the English in XC1 (and actually preferred it a lot to the JP), and I also prefer the English in some other dubbed games like Persona 5. But in this specific case a lot of stuff just feels "off"; like the timing or tone will often be slightly off in a way that gives an overall amateurish feel. It feels like more of a problem with the direction than the voice actors themselves.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 9, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

IcePhoenix posted:

You can like the english VA as a preference, but saying it's actually good quality is an insult to actual good vocal work like XSEED or 8-4 or general Cupcake productions. There's way too many technical mistakes that make it "good", and you yourself said you just never notice these things.

Like, I'm not speaking from some weaboo poo poo. I'm speaking from years of editing and being in the booth of actual va production and general recording. And Rex reeks of some terrible direction that's either from a time crunch or hiring an actor that's not experienced in how localization dubs are different than domestic works.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Taear posted:

Chapter 7 spoilers.
It's still a totally out of nowhere reveal. Although the game does a reasonable job of giving the impression that there's a lot of character bonding behind the scenes. I guess that we miss out on what makes Nia decide what she does.

It isn't though.
When the party goes to Mor Ardain, Mythra comments to Nia about it with a "should I keep this a secret" comment at the hot springs.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I have to admit, I took that scene to imply something very different until something later essentially spoiled it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

It isn't though.
When the party goes to Mor Ardain, Mythra comments to Nia about it with a "should I keep this a secret" comment at the hot springs.

Chapter 7 spoilers.
I'm talking entirely about the love part, not her being a blade. That's what I was responding to after all.
Although in that scene I assumed they meant she was either gay or a man posing as a woman tbh.

Tae, what is it that's so bad about how Rex speaks? I can see Mythra sometimes delivering her lines a bit weird but it is a thing I usually notice and don't get it from XC2.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rex's VA sucks at yelling, which is something Rex does a lot during big dramatic scenes. When he's just chatting and stuff he's fine.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, like 95% of the game's voice acting is fine and while the flubs are clearly there, I wouldn't decry the dub bad or anything.

also when does Rex yell "Aiiiiiaaaa" because I plain don't remember that ever happening

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Momomo posted:

Yeah, like 95% of the game's voice acting is fine and while the flubs are clearly there, I wouldn't decry the dub bad or anything.

also when does Rex yell "Aiiiiiaaaa" because I plain don't remember that ever happening

In the first battle with Manos near the beginning of the game. The yells were very, very bad.

Honestly the voice acting is okay but what's not is both the script and writing. I know with XC1 Monolith worked very closely with NOE on making sure the translation flowed well, even going so far in trying to match the English voices with the characters' mouths. This time around the translation seems hastily done and more times than not has an incredible amount of filler dialogue and wonky transitions.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tae posted:

Like, I'm not speaking from some weaboo poo poo. I'm speaking from years of editing and being in the booth of actual va production and general recording. And Rex reeks of some terrible direction that's either from a time crunch or hiring an actor that's not experienced in how localization dubs are different than domestic works.

I suppose if you actually work in an industry you're more apt to notice this stuff compared to the general public. But I get where you're coming from.

Ytlaya posted:

Nah, I played the first couple chapters in English and also checked out a few of the cutscenes in English. It's not something where I always prefer the Japanese; like I said, I really liked the English in XC1 (and actually preferred it a lot to the JP), and I also prefer the English in some other dubbed games like Persona 5. But in this specific case a lot of stuff just feels "off"; like the timing or tone will often be slightly off in a way that gives an overall amateurish feel. It feels like more of a problem with the direction than the voice actors themselves.

That's fair. I guess it just really doesn't bother me because for the most part I'm fine with it.

Actually, I remember there being an impromptu AMA with Zeke's VA and when someone asked him if he actually had any footage to work with he dodged the question, so I'm guessing part of the (lack of) direction is the Japanese "nobody is allowed to know anything because we're terrified of spoilers" culture. I know the group that does the Dragon Ball dubs has had similar problems when trying to do dub work for Xenoverse.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Might be late, but doesn’t the Argentum informant sell tutorials? Same with the one in the merc camp.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Voice actors when doing localization work are rarely given scenes, or even context of the scenes they're working on. This is a big reason why voice directors are arguably the biggest tipping scale between a good and bad dub, because they're the only ones that know the full story.

And this is with good studios. There's plenty of non-union poo poo heaps that do cold reads and just record lines. Or in one dub, completely switch the personality descriptions of characters which made a happy character stoic and a stoic character cheerful.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Might be late, but doesn’t the Argentum informant sell tutorials? Same with the one in the merc camp.

buying from an informant gives you a single cryptic sentence instead of an actual tutorial.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Honestly the voice acting is okay but what's not is both the script and writing. I know with XC1 Monolith worked very closely with NOE on making sure the translation flowed well, even going so far in trying to match the English voices with the characters' mouths. This time around the translation seems hastily done and more times than not has an incredible amount of filler dialogue and wonky transitions.

It does definitely get worse as well. I think part of it is that I read the text very quickly and yet there's no way to skip it. So in a "normal" game I can at least read and click on but with this I've got no choice but to sit through every single bit of it.

I think the story would come across much better for me if I could just skip BITS of it instead of getting bored waiting for it to all go through.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Tae posted:

Voice actors when doing localization work are rarely given scenes, or even context of the scenes they're working on. This is a big reason why voice directors are arguably the biggest tipping scale between a good and bad dub, because they're the only ones that know the full story.

And this is with good studios. There's plenty of non-union poo poo heaps that do cold reads and just record lines. Or in one dub, completely switch the personality descriptions of characters which made a happy character stoic and a stoic character cheerful.

Yeah, the game's voicework definitely feels segmented and largely spliced together.

With regard to the direction, the game suffers from a terminal case of "time stands still around characters while they talk about things". Enemies seem to watch on while others pause to either have internal monologues or talk about general observations. The Tales games are also guilty of this.

Example: it was very kind of the nopon that killed Tora's grandfather to let Tora and his dad take a minute to talk about taking Poppi's blueprints and letting him escape, XC1 did a phenomenal job of keeping the dialogue going with the action around the characters. Dunban's fight with Mumkar comes to mind. Heck, just about all of XC1's more contrived dialogue segments were paired with real time fighting. You don't really get that in this game.

e: I chalk some of this up to Nintendo trying to get the game released by the holiday. I'm sure putting together a worldwide release for a 100+ hour game with multiple language support is not easy.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 9, 2018

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
So now that I'm in chapter six, I wish to be enlightened on the proper way to become filthy rich

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Farg posted:

So now that I'm in chapter six, I wish to be enlightened on the proper way to become filthy rich

Buy a bunch of golden cylinders. Go to Mor Ardain and salvage with them. Go to the trader in Mor Ardain (the shop with the scales icon) and trade in your sets of junk for tons of cash. Rinse and repeat.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Yeah, the game's voicework definitely feels segmented and largely spliced together.

With regard to the direction, the game suffers from a terminal case of "time stands still around characters while they talk about things". Enemies seem to watch on while others pause to either have internal monologues or talk about general observations. The Tales games are also guilty of this.

Would you not say that's just an anime thing? It happens in (for example) Attack on Titan absolutely loving loads and the basketball anime I linked earlier does it which suggests it's a common trope.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

It's a general fiction thing.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

DLC Inc posted:

interesting if true (postgame boss identity spoiler)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you don't need to kill yourself playing tiger tiger, you can fit a shitwrecker leech tank build into poppi's default skill ram slots

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Having to grind all those chips and ether for each of Tora's blades seems even more tedious than Ursula's stuff

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Taear posted:

Would you not say that's just an anime thing? It happens in (for example) Attack on Titan absolutely loving loads and the basketball anime I linked earlier does it which suggests it's a common trope.

I don't know, I guess, I don't watch anime. It's a stupid and annoying trope and probably a reason I don't like anime very much.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Louisgod posted:

I don't know, I guess, I don't watch anime. It's a stupid and annoying trope and probably a reason I don't like anime very much.

It's present in tons of movies as well

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Having to grind all those chips and ether for each of Tora's blades seems even more tedious than Ursula's stuff

not that tiger tiger is fun or good or anything, but there are degrees of awful

and comparing tiger tiger to ursula's rank 5 affinity requirement is like comparing a cigarette lighter to the sun

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tiger Tiger wasn't so bad for me because whenever my kids saw algae in a level they'd yell "PEEEEAAAAASSSSS". Kept it entertaining

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Like what?
It really stood out for me in attack on titan and I don't feel like I've seen an internal monologue interrupting an action scene in any other media.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

IcePhoenix posted:

Maybe bad movies but in general it's easy enough to keep dialogue and action going at the same time in movies.

I'm sure in games it takes a lot of time to choreograph fight scenes and I bet XC2 lacks them due to time constraints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Taear posted:

Like what?
It really stood out for me in attack on titan and I don't feel like I've seen an internal monologue interrupting an action scene in any other media.

I bet you could find one in most Marvel movies.

Like others, I'm sort of conditioned to accept it as normal because it's a thing I've seen in various media all my life, so I don't really notice it. Sort of like how we never have to manually breathe unless someone reminds us that it is a thing we do.