Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC: Okada vs Naito

2nd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
HM: Ropppongi 3k vs Young Bucks
MOTYC: Suzuki vs Goto
MOTYC: Scurll vs Hiromu vs Ospreay vs Kushida
MOTYC: Omega vs Jericho
MOTYC: Okada vs Naito

nthing for all of these. What a fun good show!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Not necessarily nominating it as an honorable mention, but it's worth checking out the opener from CMLL's show last night:
Fiero, Flyer, Magia Blanca vs El Coyote, Templario, Yago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx5NRXIRd04&t=108s

The other 51 weeks out of the year it's almost always safe to skip the first and usually second matches on a CMLL Friday show. Last night was a special Saturday show for Three Kings' Day and I guess they told the prelim guys they could do whatever they wanted. So they went wild, and it turned out great. Match is only about 10 minutes long and it's worth your time. Plus you get to see Yago's entrance. Afterwards they do a ceremony to present Fiero with the legacy gimmick of "El Audaz" and promise more opportunities for young wrestlers in 2018. I look forward to the Audaz/Templario rivalry continuing for the foreseeable future.

Also, "Magia Blanca" is what all the ladies call me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I checked that out and dug all the moves, but I do have to say my experience with Lucha Libre is always so confusing. I don't know if it's just the way they mic the crowd or what, but they always seem so disconnected from what is happening in the ring. It really distracts me, especially when it comes to angles and people attacking/betraying people etc but the crowd noise just remains this kind of indifferent drone with the odd sound of horns or some wolf whistles for the ring girls.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC: El Imposible vs Dr. Cerebro Ladder Match Inside a Steel Cage, IWRG 1/1

You've dreamed about it for years, what if they ran a ladder match inside a steel cage? Well IWRG did on their all steel cage show and it was dumb as gently caress. First off the ladder could not be used for 10 minutes and to win you had to escape the cage with the belt. It's a really stupid, bad match that is well worth your 20 minutes to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0IZ875xn-c

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

MassRafTer posted:

You've dreamed about it for years, what if they ran a ladder match inside a steel cage? Well IWRG did on their all steel cage show and it was dumb as gently caress. First off the ladder could not be used for 10 minutes and to win you had to escape the cage with the belt. It's a really stupid, bad match that is well worth your 20 minutes to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0IZ875xn-c

That sort of sounds like the Dixieland match TNA ran once. Except once you escaped the cage, you needed a ladder to claim the belt on the stage in order to win.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DarkstarIV posted:

That sort of sounds like the Dixieland match TNA ran once. Except once you escaped the cage, you needed a ladder to claim the belt on the stage in order to win.

I know it's hard for things to be worse than TNA but this is worse.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
I watched that, and it was horrible. Not so bad it’s good, just hideous. Second on WMotY

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I liked it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

3rded. Good God it was awful. And the crowd just sitting motionless and unresponsive for all the big spots just made the whole thing all the more surreal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In concept at least having the belt hanging inside so you have to get it with a ladder then escape the cage sounds superior to escaping the cage then getting the belt with a ladder elsewhere.

But the cage doesn't seem like it would bring any cool ladder spots you couldn't normally do.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

In concept at least having the belt hanging inside so you have to get it with a ladder then escape the cage sounds superior to escaping the cage then getting the belt with a ladder elsewhere.

But the cage doesn't seem like it would bring any cool ladder spots you couldn't normally do.

In the cage you have no incentive to not let the other guy just take the belt down so you can steal it and climb out, which is exactly what happens. So it just becomes two guys trying to climb a cage with a ladder. At least with the dumb TNA gimmick you want to be the only guy outside the cage so you can climb the ladder.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I watched the +Lucha version of the Imposible/Dr. Cerebro match and I would rate it as "OK"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QQiQ3YJWSA

I waited until they posted this version, which has much better video quality, better commentary, and better sound balancing so you can hear the crowd. They actually get pretty hot down the stretch.

Obviously the promotion is to blame for a show and match rule set that eliminates crowd brawling and dives, which are the two strongest parts of IWRG. Still, the first 10 minutes are perfectly fine considering this restriction. I expected the post-ladder part to be awful but it wasn't that bad. The guys thought of all the unique ways they could utilize the "carry the belt" part of the rules and did a good enough job performing them.

The Ovett/Chico Che hair match on the same show was much worse than this, but I also couldn't put that up for WMotY because of the visual of Ovett getting his head shaved looking sad with 10 colored thumb tacks stuck in his forehead is worth the 10 minutes you waste on the match itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaLQCHi2MAw

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC: Tim Storm vs Jocephus, NWA Empty Impact Zone Match, 1/14

Do you like Tim Storm screaming the same three phrases over and over? Do you want to see Jocephus' undies? Do you want to see the slowest brawl of the year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsKqNCnTi20

This is for you!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MOTYC: Joe Doering vs Zeus - AJPW 1/2

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

oatgan posted:

MOTYC: Joe Doering vs Zeus - AJPW 1/2

2nd

I'm going to wait until I see how it came across on TV but check out Kenoh vs. Kaito Kiyomiya too. It was a lot of fun live.

MassRafTer posted:

Do you like Tim Storm screaming the same three phrases over and over? Do you want to see Jocephus' undies? Do you want to see the slowest brawl of the year?

This is for you!
also 2nd

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

This is for you!

Oh my God this was so terrible. The only "highlight" was probably,"I'M A SCHOOL TEACHER!"

3rding. Just godawful and that closing ladder spot was just disgusting to watch.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC - Kenoh vs. Kaito Kiyomiya NOAH 1/6

Holds up on a rewatch

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

hm: zack sabre jr vs darby allin - EVOLVE 98 1/13

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

You know what, I think this Del Rio foot stomp on the loose-rear end ropes is good for a WMOTY nom

WMOTY - Del Rio vs Johnny Mundo vs Eli Drake - Impact 01/19/18

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lolling irl at that second gif

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

HM: ACH vs. Paco, AAW Art of War 1/20/18

unbelievable bully work by ach in this match it was like he was teaching paco how to be a star right there in the ring

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 22, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: Jun Kasai vs. Takashi Iizuka (K-DOJO TakaTaichiMania 1/23)
HM: Taichi vs. Tetsuya Naito (K-DOJO TakaTaichiMania 1/23)

hopefully NJPW puts them up as VOD, but if not SamuraiTV were filming so they'll end up on the RealHeroArchive

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Mustafa Ali vs Cedric Alexander - WWE 205 Live 1/23

The first post Enzo-firing 205, everything thrown together on the fly, and Ali and Alexander just put on one hell of a match with some amazing moves and really, really good selling. Either one could and should be the next Cruiserweight Champion.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I'll second this. Somebody else said this was a CWC-quality match, and I think that's a perfectly good descriptor.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The first post Enzo-firing 205, everything thrown together on the fly, and Ali and Alexander just put on one hell of a match with some amazing moves and really, really good selling. Either one could and should be the next Cruiserweight Champion.

Third. Goddamn.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

MOTYC - Kenoh vs. Kaito Kiyomiya NOAH 1/6

Holds up on a rewatch

main event of this show for any one interested. It's really really good, trust me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MOTYC: Hiroshi Tanahashi (C) vs Minoru Suzuki for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship at The New Beginning in Sapporo Day 1 - 1/27

It was hovering around the HM mark but the final, excruciating, horrifying 5-10 minutes pushed it over the edge. The torture of Tanahashi by the sadist Suzuki was incredible to watch, the ending and the aftermath etc all just made it a must-watch. What a great match.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Hiroshi Tanahashi (C) vs Minoru Suzuki for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship at The New Beginning in Sapporo Day 1 - 1/27

It was hovering around the HM mark but the final, excruciating, horrifying 5-10 minutes pushed it over the edge. The torture of Tanahashi by the sadist Suzuki was incredible to watch, the ending and the aftermath etc all just made it a must-watch. What a great match.

Yeaaaaaah.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

2nd

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

definitely

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

4th. Watch this. What a final stretch.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I can’t Nth this enough. Slow start, but just fantastic by the very end.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

MOTYC: Adam Cole vs Aleister Black, NXT Takeover: Philadelphia

edit: im actually bumping it up to a motyc, i really liked it

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 28, 2018

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MOTYC - Aleister Black vs. Adam Cole, NXT Takeover Philly

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MOTYC: Alistair Black vs Adam Cole, NXT Takeover: Philadelphia 27/01/18

Oh boy that was a hell of a match

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Testekill posted:

MOTYC: Alistair Black vs Adam Cole, NXT Takeover: Philadelphia 27/01/18

Oh boy that was a hell of a match

nth. loving amazing.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yup

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

sportsgenius86 posted:

I agree with this.

:supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cardboard Box posted:

MOTYC: Adam Cole vs Aleister Black, NXT Takeover: Philadelphia

edit: im actually bumping it up to a motyc, i really liked it

Agreed.

Also HM: The Undisputed Era (C) vs Authors of Pain for the NXT Tag Team Titles - NXT Takeover: Philadelphia