Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Should I avoid burning through Merc missions when I've just got junk blades to work with, or are there enough repeatable missions down the road that it doesn't matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm a vocal hater of the game's English dub, and playing through the game with the Japanese voices on has given me a weird insight on things. There's a lot of points where the things the characters are saying just blatantly don't line up with what the English text is telling me, and that irks me because I like to complain about writing and now I can't really tell if some of my complaints are about the game itself or with the English translators just deciding to change or put things in. Like for example, Rex's great awesome "Titan's Foot!" catchphrase is an English-only dub choice, the voice lines in Japanese are always just angry grunting sounds. There's also a scene where Five is talking to Poppy and Tora and Poppy pretends to be a dog and most people thought it was really creepy and weird, but the Japanese voice had something completely different going on. That makes me wonder what else they decided to change and makes me constantly question what characters are saying when they say something odd. Like, the dumb "Salvager's Code" schtick that Rex has - is that actually what he's saying or is that something the English dub invented? They also changed borderline every characters name so they seem really really comfortable with changing things as they see fit, so I don't ever feel like I'm just overthinking it when I wonder if the things they're saying are what they originally meant.

Also I just now for the first time heard Tora and Poppy's English voice acting and holy poo poo how could anyone defend that

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

IcePhoenix posted:

I bet you could find one in most Marvel movies.

The only marvel film I can think of with an internal monologue at all is Ant Man and even then it's Michael Douglas speaking to Rudd and not Rudd's own thoughts. I just don't agree at all.
It's one of the most annoying things about the scenes in this and it definitely takes me out of the game a lot when it's happening.

quote:

Should I avoid burning through Merc missions when I've just got junk blades to work with, or are there enough repeatable missions down the road that it doesn't matter?
Anything that's blue can be repeated, don't worry about it. Go wild!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Also I just now for the first time heard Tora and Poppy's English voice acting and holy poo poo how could anyone defend that

by it being fine?

e: less rude

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nessin posted:

If you max out a "junk" blade's affinity chart you get an item(s) that can be used to increase a character's WP on a weapon by 1000, 2500, or 5000

e: also I'm not gonna quote that wall (because as people are pointing out most of it is Wrong :colbert:) but they change the character names because nobody who doesn't speak Japanese would know what the gently caress "Homura" means. Please apply said logic to all character names.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 9, 2018

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
They're better in english

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tora and Poppi sound fine

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Poppi sounds fine for what she is, an artificial robot maid Nopon sex slave

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I will say that there are plenty of great voice actors in Japan, even more so just because the size of the industry there, but I think a lot of non-Japanese speakers get stuck in this stance that original/japanese voices always get a huge artificial bump in comparison to English voice overs. Plenty of English voice actors and voice work in games and anime dubs is great, fine, or at the least equal to the performance of the Japanese cast.

Edit:
I think part of it is just not knowing what's going on in the Japanese voice acting. So much of it sounds overly dramatic and exaggerated that you think it's emphasizing the moment perfectly. In reality, that's just the cultural norm in Japan and it's stupid/ridiculous in context if you follow the conversation.

nessin fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 9, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

They also changed borderline every characters name so they seem really really comfortable with changing things as they see fit, so I don't ever feel like I'm just overthinking it when I wonder if the things they're saying are what they originally meant.

We've said this a lot to you but nobody speaks Japanese. All those names that you don't want changed are meaningless words to 99% of the people playing the game outside of Japan.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

IcePhoenix posted:

If you max out a "junk" blade's affinity chart you get an item(s) that can be used to increase a character's WP on a weapon by 1000, 2500, or 5000

e: also I'm not gonna quote that wall (because as people are pointing out most of it is Wrong :colbert:) but they change the character names because nobody who doesn't speak Japanese would know what the gently caress "Homura" means. Please apply said logic to all character names.

Yeah, for real. You know what Homura sounds like to me? Lobster. It sounds like lobster. I doubt that's what they were going for.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/92HilQM.gifv

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Taear posted:

We've said this a lot to you but nobody speaks Japanese. All those names that you don't want changed are meaningless words to 99% of the people playing the game outside of Japan.

Yeah, I know. Thanks for reminding me. But changing names from the Japanese names that wouldn't have meaning to English names with no meaning doesn't make sense. Why even bother? Homura to Pyra? That one completely makes sense, and the name they chose is a good indication of what the original name was supposed to tell you. Hikari to Mythra? Why didn't they stick with the pun about light, but sure, they picked some special-sounding name. Suzaku to Roc, I guess Roc works but now you're ditched the tie-in with the other blades. Byakko to Dromarch? What's a Dromarch mean? Sure, you might not know what a Byakko is, but you don't know what a loving Dromarch is either so why loving change it? Tell me the significance of the name "Pandoria" and how that actually relates to the character. Same deal with "Brighid." What does Brighid mean in English? Same with "Aegeon." They didn't take a Pokemon approach where all the Pokemon names were basically puns that don't translate very well and so they came up with appropriate English puns, they did that with maybe three characters and then just changed tons of names for the sake of it.

I don't really care about the fact that the names are changed in and of itself, it's more indicative of the larger problem that the English translation of the game took so much editorial power on itself that it makes it difficult to distinguish what else they decided to change or add in, which there has been a fair amount of discussion about.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah, I know. Thanks for reminding me. But changing names from the Japanese names that wouldn't have meaning to English names with no meaning doesn't make sense. Why even bother? Homura to Pyra? That one completely makes sense, and the name they chose is a good indication of what the original name was supposed to tell you. Hikari to Mythra? Why didn't they stick with the pun about light, but sure, they picked some special-sounding name. Suzaku to Roc, I guess Roc works but now you're ditched the tie-in with the other blades. Byakko to Dromarch? What's a Dromarch mean? Sure, you might not know what a Byakko is, but you don't know what a loving Dromarch is either so why loving change it? Tell me the significance of the name "Pandoria" and how that actually relates to the character. Same deal with "Brighid." What does Brighid mean in English? Same with "Aegeon." They didn't take a Pokemon approach where all the Pokemon names were basically puns that don't translate very well and so they came up with appropriate English puns, they did that with maybe three characters and then just changed tons of names for the sake of it.

I don't really care about the fact that the names are changed in and of itself, it's more indicative of the larger problem that the English translation of the game took so much editorial power on itself that it makes it difficult to distinguish what else they decided to change or add in, which there has been a fair amount of discussion about.

A Roc is a big bird and he's a big bird.
Dromarch, Aegeon and Brighid are all pretty celtic sounding names and I even know people with the name Brighid.
Dromarch is a name in Welsh mythology as well as far as I remember, I think they're in the wild hunt?

They've changed it so it fits in a western framework which is what localisation always does. It's not a good idea to change just a few and leave others, so it all got done.

Every single named blade has a name that is based on an English word or at least has a Celtic feeling to it. Especially Pandoria, I mean come on!
Just like they do in Japanese with a Japanese feeling to them.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Naming an entire cast around puns and not-so-subtle references to in-game traits/flaws/whatever is not much of a thing for Western audiences. At least no where near as much as it is for Japanese/Asian audiences. I agree that Pandoria is kind of stupid, but otherwise something like Dromarch or Brighid don't need meaning, they can just be a name, that's perfectly normal.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it is weird that the incredibly-welsh morag has a blade from irish mythology, though. or maybe there was some kind of cross-pollination going on, this isn't exactly my field.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It's a bit surreal that unique monster kills aren't checklisted and backstamped for future affinity unlocks.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

nessin posted:

Naming an entire cast around puns and not-so-subtle references to in-game traits/flaws/whatever is not much of a thing for Western audiences. At least no where near as much as it is for Japanese/Asian audiences. I agree that Pandoria is kind of stupid, but otherwise something like Dromarch or Brighid don't need meaning, they can just be a name, that's perfectly normal.

People had the exact same concerns about chrono trigger's translation. Someone even made a fan retranslation to keep the japanese aspects of the game or something.

Now people can finally play the game knowing that Ozzie, Flea and Slash are actually Mayonnaise, Vinegar and Soysauce! Man Toriyama was bad at names.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
How in the world are you supposed to get Percival's gather 10 HP potions affinity? He's on Nia and I thought I'd be super easy to just play Nia with Percival while Rex can just Anchor Shot and drop potions like crazy. Except he never sticks on Pyra/Mythra for long and when I change his setup so he has only Pyra/Mythra, he never actually uses Anchor Shot. So I had the bright idea of bonding a couple normal healers to him and making him a healer. But now, like Nia, he insta-runs to any health potion he generates and easily beats me to htem unless they spawn perfectly. It's loving nuts.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I don't like the name changes because Amaltheus's name apparently used to be Marvin

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I like the name changes because according to the concept art Poppi and her forms were Hana JS (gradeschooler), Hana JK (highschooler), and Hana JD (college student)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nessin posted:

How in the world are you supposed to get Percival's gather 10 HP potions affinity? He's on Nia and I thought I'd be super easy to just play Nia with Percival while Rex can just Anchor Shot and drop potions like crazy. Except he never sticks on Pyra/Mythra for long and when I change his setup so he has only Pyra/Mythra, he never actually uses Anchor Shot. So I had the bright idea of bonding a couple normal healers to him and making him a healer. But now, like Nia, he insta-runs to any health potion he generates and easily beats me to htem unless they spawn perfectly. It's loving nuts.

Send him on merc missions

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

tap my mountain posted:

I don't like the name changes because Amaltheus's name apparently used to be Marvin

Alright this one i agree with because (endgame)fighting a giant mutant tentacle man named Marvin is loving hilarious.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

150 hours in, got Agate. Still need two rare blades. Cool.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Mythra is also a light pun bc Mithra is a Zoroastrian deity of light.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Poppi doesn't take quite the hellish amount of time people expect either: I spent probably 2 hours* running stage 5 of Tiger Tiger and ended up with every Master Mod and the Light core (and several dark cores) playing it on easy mode. If the design wasn't hot garbage and let you just restart a level after clearing it rather than having to get kicked out, activate the system, watch the startup...etc each time then it'd probably shave 30% or more of the grind time off. Like, let players set X credits so they can run it a bunch of times consecutively or something. The one and done setup wastes so much of your time. The game is full of poo poo like that though (see: Merc mission results) and I can only imagine how many hours of dead time is added to a playthrough because of it.

I only used Ether to upgrade the final form and tossed one of the dark cores on QT. She's not as powerful as that video but she's pretty drat close considering I didn't max out her affinity like that person did and I have 1 or 2 less upgrades than theirs does (and my other 2 forms are just 'normal' end game tier). Poppi is very, very powerful and if you give her even a couple of decent upgrades she will deal damage on par with Rex and Zeke, and Tora will still out tank both of them while being able to constantly full heal himself via crit damage.

* for comparison, I spent 15-20 minutes trying to get the aurora weather for one of Zenobia's targets and it never happened.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm curious. How many successful runs of level 5 did you make in those 2ish hours, would you say? Because my problem is I suck at Tiger Tiger. I suck so bad that I can't clear stage 5 with any kind of consistency. I had a few goes of it today while I was waiting for Merc Mission to finish, and I didn't clear the level even once, in around 5 attempts. Yes, this was on easy mode. I made it to the bottom and died. Every time.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think the biggest problem I have with Tiger Tiger is that it wouldn't be so bad if the controls weren't so god awful, but the analog stick is poo poo and I can never make him consistently shoot diagonally when I want, and if I use the left controller arrow buttons it destroys my thumb

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you dont need the stage 5 exclusive parts to set poppi up as a god of death. perfect clears of stage 1 easy will get you there in no time flat.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
So I'm fighting Mikhail and Patroka. They are a pretty easy and simple boss. Except they cast a ring of fire that your party will happily sit in. And MIkhail has a skill that has bugged out once and instead of doing a lot of damage to his target, it wiped my entire team from full health. And Patroka has bugged twice on the edge of the map making her unkillable. I do so enjoy starting a fight for the fifth time and only have one loss that was actually my fault, or even just luck of the draw.

Edit:
At least I didn't have to restart a sixth time. Although in the spirit of complaining about annoying Anime tropes, how about just watching people escape after being defeated? That gets used a lot in any story but anime writers seem to need to one up everyone by making it so there is intentionally no reason why they couldn't be stopped and having the heroes make no effort to actually stop them from getting away, they just do it.

nessin fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 10, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

nessin posted:

So I'm fighting Mikhail and Patroka. They are a pretty easy and simple boss. Except they cast a ring of fire that your party will happily sit in. And MIkhail has a skill that has bugged out once and instead of doing a lot of damage to his target, it wiped my entire team from full health. And Patroka has bugged twice on the edge of the map making her unkillable. I do so enjoy starting a fight for the fifth time and only have one loss that was actually my fault, or even just luck of the draw.

Edit:
At least I didn't have to restart a sixth time. Although in the spirit of complaining about annoying Anime tropes, how about just watching people escape after being defeated? That gets used a lot in any story but anime writers seem to need to one up everyone by making it so there is intentionally no reason why they couldn't be stopped and having the heroes make no effort to actually stop them from getting away, they just do it.

The whole schtick of "we won the gameplay fight but the cutscene tells us that we lost" is also super annoying, especially considering this also happened all the time in the first game too and it's really weird to rely on the same super lazy narrative tactic over and over and over even across multiple games

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The whole schtick of "we won the gameplay fight but the cutscene tells us that we lost" is also super annoying, especially considering this also happened all the time in the first game too and it's really weird to rely on the same super lazy narrative tactic over and over and over even across multiple games

At least you occasionally get resolution here. You should play the Trails of Cold Steel (at least the first, I couldn't stomach to get far into the second) games if you really want to see what happens when an entire game is built on that concept.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Holy loving poo poo I just realized you can convert parts all the useless parts you get from TigerTiger into ether crystals if you go into the part creation menu and press the Y button. I just got like 15,000 crystals from doing maybe 20 minutes of easy stage 5 runs

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 10, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mass Effect is anime, because they used that poo poo all day.

(it's not an anime thing. Hell, it's even used in Witcher 3).

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I really don't mind the whole "you win the fight but you lose in the following cutscene" thing because I'd rather play the game and have real boss fights instead of a gauntlet of unwinnable boss fights you're supposed to lose.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think they could fix that problem by just having the enemy jump back out of the fight when you lower their health, instead of having them slump down like they're dead. Could also just give them more health and have the fight end when you hit a threshold, which the game even does sometimes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
A few hours in. Pyra's awesome because fire is awesome.

But drat girl how long have you lived and managed to avoid backache?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Natural 20 posted:

A few hours in. Pyra's awesome because fire is awesome.

But drat girl how long have you lived and managed to avoid backache?

To be fair, 500 of those years have been just napping

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay so I heard there was something important about selling items together. How does this work and how do I do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Okay so I heard there was something important about selling items together. How does this work and how do I do it?

The shops that look like a balance scale allow you to sell sets of salvaged goods for vastly more than they sell for individually.