Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

*barrels into the thread* don't watch glitter force

also watch precure even if you can't legally stream it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Colonel posted:

yes and also the heartcatch precure movie is one of the best anime movies ever made and i wanna watch the most recent season at some point cause it apparently got ridiculously good and featured an openly gay couple

glitter force is too hacked up from the original to have subs, they chopped out eight episodes from the season and awkwardly rearranged a few scenes

I've not seen Precure since DokiDoki but like, Suite Precure and DokiDoki already had a lot of gay overtones and subtext. I'm surprised Kirakira would have openly gay Precures though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
It's still the usual "daisuki" plausible deniability stuff. Even at the end of the episode Yukari says she hasn't felt "true love" yet.

But it's as much as they can probably get away with.

Mahou Girls was pretty blatant-to-the-degree-they-could-do-so about Mirai and Riko's relationship too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's still the usual "daisuki" plausible deniability stuff. Even at the end of the episode Yukari says she hasn't felt "true love" yet.

But it's as much as they can probably get away with.
They're more blatant about it at stage shows and stuff, there's one that has an outright running gag about their wedding invitations. That's 'official' but obviously less scrutinized, so

Also, pirate go princess pretty cure for your daughters

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Huh. I don't hear much about the stage shows. Neat.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

pirate go princess pretty cure for your daughters

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

but the doremi subs

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
pirate smile, gopri and heartcatch

but heartcatch mainly for the movie, the show is fun but the movie owns bones

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
I recommend Dokidoki. I understand it's divisive, but it's my favorite series even years later.

Shame the Glitter Force version totally takes a bat to everything good about it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I recommend Dokidoki. I understand it's divisive, but it's my favorite series even years later.

Shame the Glitter Force version totally takes a bat to everything good about it.

I thought Glitter Force was an adaptation of Smile? My main problems with Doki are down to it basically being the Mana show and then Cure Ace was an obnoxious brat.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I thought Glitter Force was an adaptation of Smile? My main problems with Doki are down to it basically being the Mana show and then Cure Ace was an obnoxious brat.

There’s two Glitter Forces, for Smile and Doki Doki.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Glitter Force Doki Doki cuts things to a bigger degree than the one for Smile did, chopping up several episodes into a single one. This has the result of an episode where the team getting their final power up and finishing move getting cut, so the next episode that they DO keep having it show up out of nowhere.

A lot of the character focus episodes end up getting axed, too. Like I don’t really mind Dokidoki’s focus on Mana or think it’s as bad as people say (Mana doesn’t even get a focus episode for her final solo attack), but if what was there bothered you, GF is worse about it. Rachel/Rikka gets the worst of it, along with every episode where she had significant interaction with her best friend getting removed entirely.

But they managed to keep the episode where she rescued Ira.

Hmmm. Funny, that.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

This is getting very complicated for me.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

possible new cures

https://twitter.com/aers00/status/932823146268213251

shoutouts to endorph for the scoop

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New content for the YuYuYu anime started up last week. Second of the 5 new episodes aired yesterday.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
is the sequel as good?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Homura and Sickle posted:

is the sequel as good?

It needs more SoL since it seems to be going straight into the strange magical girl stuff.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOWcZiCAH4

here's the Magia Record transformations up to this month because Holy poo poo I Implore You, watch the transformations for the og meguca. they're all kind of similar in imagery to the rebellion henshin scenes but with less ballet and more Goddamn just look at Kyouko what a flaming badass, and mommy in casual clothes, er, Mami. same thing yeah

sayaka never

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What Precure should I watch first?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

HeartCatch is one people rec a lot, ditto Go! Princess Precure.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sakurazuka posted:

Princess or heartcatch. Or just pick whichever gimmick sounds most interesting to you

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

chumbler posted:

She's the best sailor scout for a reason.

It's Mars but thanks for playing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

princess, heartcatch, or doki doki

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Does the original Sailor Moon series hold up well? My daughters started reading the manga and seem pretty excited about it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

P-Mack posted:

Does the original Sailor Moon series hold up well? My daughters started reading the manga and seem pretty excited about it.

yes

s1 and r are pretty solid and so far, outside of like one really bad ep, sailor moon s is one of the best shows i've ever seen

https://files.catbox.moe/9ojgrt.mp4

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 9, 2018

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I still think happiness charge is cool. It was also my first precure so apparently I’m in the minority for liking it since it seems less liked than other entries for whatever reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P-Mack posted:

it's very episodic but also really fun. though the series does have some weird moments wrt lesbianism, so maybe talk to your daughters about that kinda stuff depending on their ages.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah there's a pretty messed up episode early on in s where half of it is spent on everyone giving mako poo poo for potentially being gay cause it was handled by a different director from most of the rest so you might wanna make it clear how hosed up that ep is if they're young

it's awkward cause almost every other episode of s has some bit where usagi crushes on haruka

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

yeah there's a pretty messed up episode early on in s where half of it is spent on everyone giving mako poo poo for potentially being gay cause it was handled by a different director from most of the rest so you might wanna make it clear how hosed up that ep is if they're young

it's awkward cause almost every other episode of s has some bit where usagi crushes on haruka

also, you know, it has haruka and michiru

there's also an earlier ep that has a line from usagi about how it's 'better to fall in love with a guy, anyway' when she's trying to let a girl with a crush on her down gently

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

it's very episodic but also really fun. though the series does have some weird moments wrt lesbianism, so maybe talk to your daughters about that kinda stuff depending on their ages.

Yeah we've made it clear that it's okay for girls to kiss girls etc.

No problem as long as it's not like how I can't show them Monster Squad nowadays because every other word is "human being". Which is actually very accurate to how real kids talked in the 80s, but...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
yeah its just a couple of mildly weird lines nothing like that. it also has two cool lesbians who flirt with and love each other so

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hugtto subs are out!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

come on down to https://cytu.be/r/synchrogazer where we'll be starting the brand new precure stream with the newest precure, hugtto, and the first precure, futari wa pretty cure!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The Colonel posted:

Wait, what episode was that?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
it's pretty cure's 15th anniversary, so they had a poll on best series

quote:

1: Go Princess Precure
2: Futari Wa Pretty Cure
3: Heartcatch precure
4: kirakira precure a la mode
5: smile precure
6: maho girls precure
7: fresh pretty cure
8: yes pretty cure 5 and yes pretty cure 5 gogo have like, basically the same amount of shows and are basically the same series so
9: futari wa pretty cure max heart
10: doki doki pretty cure
11: suite pretty cure
12: futari wa pretty cure splash star
13: happiness charge pretty cure

as an internet poll promoted mostly on twitter its pretty obviously weighted towards older fans (see: futari wa ranking so highly even though most young fans werent even alive when it aired) but i thought it was interesting

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
I'm kinda surprised GoPri is at the top.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

gopri is really good

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
It is! This fandom can just be kind of insular about what is and isn't good. But then, this is the Japanese fandom, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This is the kind of magical girl fighting I can get behind.

(Not liking the rest too much though, except for hamster dude. He's cool.)