Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I don't get the "No Jawas" thing in TW defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Chilichimp posted:

I posted this in the discord leave channel so QGJ's mod is aware.

Thank you.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

UmOk posted:

I don't get the "No Jawas" thing in TW defense.

They are a terrible squad with no inherent synergies and people were putting them in the first couple of TW's.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

People care about the TWs?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I saw a guild called Unionize the Jawas in arena recently. I chuckled.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

They are a terrible squad with no inherent synergies and people were putting them in the first couple of TW's.

So what about a Jawa/Droid squad? The old P2 tank squad

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

UmOk posted:

Better on offense

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

UmOk posted:

No problemo, we say no jawas because 5 jawas is a free win for the oppo.

Also yeah, droids are better on offense.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
What are the best FTP ships to focus on? I'm starting to slip in arena. Right now I use Vader, FO tie, Slave 1, Biggs, and TFP with Tarkin. Maul, ghost, and phantom as reinforcements. I have the falcon at 5* with higher "power" than the others but I don't know of I should sub it in.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

UmOk posted:

What are the best FTP ships to focus on? I'm starting to slip in arena. Right now I use Vader, FO tie, Slave 1, Biggs, and TFP with Tarkin. Maul, ghost, and phantom as reinforcements. I have the falcon at 5* with higher "power" than the others but I don't know of I should sub it in.

I'd sub in fives for slave 1. Reaper would be a better choice, but that's a hard one to get going.

Drop ghost/phantom for Poe's X-wing and Slave 1. Use Poe to pop the enemy TIE and most of your problems will melt away.

Other than that, make sure all of your pilots have level 15, 5pip mods for maximum power (stats and sets are irrelevant), and get them up to G11.

Beyond that get a chimera. It's seriously OP.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

I'd sub in fives for slave 1. Reaper would be a better choice, but that's a hard one to get going.

Drop ghost/phantom for Poe's X-wing and Slave 1. Use Poe to pop the enemy TIE and most of your problems will melt away.

Other than that, make sure all of your pilots have level 15, 5pip mods for maximum power (stats and sets are irrelevant), and get them up to G11.

Beyond that get a chimera. It's seriously OP.

Has the Chimera event even come around since the first time?

Do the stats on mods matter? Or just the level/pips?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

UmOk posted:

Has the Chimera event even come around since the first time?

Do the stats on mods matter? Or just the level/pips?

Chimera has not, but it's coming back next week. Get your rebels ships in order.

Mod stats don't matter, just make sure they're 5 pip/ level 15. I just throw whatever trash that doesn't have speed on all of my crews.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

Chimera has not, but it's coming back next week. Get your rebels ships in order.

Mod stats don't matter, just make sure they're 5 pip/ level 15. I just throw whatever trash that doesn't have speed on all of my crews.

poo poo. I have 0 shards on the 2 u-wings. I guess Cassian would be the easier farm?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

UmOk posted:

poo poo. I have 0 shards on the 2 u-wings. I guess Cassian would be the easier farm?

Cassian's u-wing would be, yes, since you can reliably buy it 4x/day

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

It seems like ROLO's special attack is a pretty good AoE attack? I ran her as lead in a TW clean-up squad and it did a hell of a lot more damage than I expected. They were down to 2 characters, so I know that had something to do with it.

E: We need to discuss TW for QGJ. Generally speaking, most guilds focus on the top row until fleet battles are unlocked and then move to either the first territory on the bottom row or the middle territory. It seems like most guilds stack their best defenders in the back row.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 9, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

tadashi posted:

It seems like ROLO's special attack is a pretty good AoE attack? I ran her as lead in a TW clean-up squad and it did a hell of a lot more damage than I expected. They were down to 2 characters, so I know that had something to do with it.

E: We need to discuss TW for QGJ. Generally speaking, most guilds focus on the top row until fleet battles are unlocked and then move to either the first territory on the bottom row or the middle territory. It seems like most guilds stack their best defenders in the back row.

Yeah, I'm not sure we've had a big "What we need to do in TW" discussion at all yet. Maybe in Discord, but things pass by so quick in there, if it came up, I missed it. It would be helpful, because I don't really know what I'm doing, beyond putting up a few defense teams, and then killing who I can on offense.

And sorry, I totally whiffed on this one. Work got crazy this week, it completely passed me by until we were completely underwater.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Hey Qbe, I'm trying to reach out to you on here since you're not on Discord. Just wanted to let you know that you're being dropped from SM because of lack of participation in the guild events, such as Territory Wars and Territory Battles, but if you wanted to try to get into QGJ, you can ask them about getting a spot.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure we've had a big "What we need to do in TW" discussion at all yet. Maybe in Discord, but things pass by so quick in there, if it came up, I missed it. It would be helpful, because I don't really know what I'm doing, beyond putting up a few defense teams, and then killing who I can on offense.

And sorry, I totally whiffed on this one. Work got crazy this week, it completely passed me by until we were completely underwater.

So, a few general principles for coordinating Territory Wars:

1) everybody should be contributing 4 squads and 1 fleet on defense. I get that a guild like QGJ has a wider than normal variance between the top and bottom end rosters, but it still takes a lot for someone’s 5th or 6th or 7th Best Squad to be better than a lower GP members 3rd best squad. We’ve taken to telling people that if you can’t commit to placing 4 squads on defense, just don’t sign up because it means someone has to cover you. (The number of slots is based on the number of people that sign up.) We run ~46-48 of our 50 in TW as a result and have been much more successful since that than when we had some signup and noshows early on.

2) following on from that, Defense is *everything*. In general, all you can accomplish by holding back good squads from D to use on O is causing a tie. If you want to have an opportunity to win you put all of your good stuff that makes sense on defense. By holding back, you will create a situation in which your possible outcomes become lose or tie. Which are the same thing, except maybe one leaves you feeling like you at least have a bit of pride. A shot at a zeta is worth more than pride in a dumb phone game, IMO.

3) placement: if you number the top and bottom rows of ground Territories from left to right 1-4 (so 4 is front, and 1 is the big money extra points zones), what’s worked for us is putting teams that maybe aren’t the best but which require specific counters and exhaust resources on top 3/4; we do a wall of old zaul teams - most have bad mods and are a bit under geared, as they were arena teams for a lot of our guys when they first hit 85 a year ago, but by clustering them, it wastes a lot of rex leads and other anti-Zaul tech that they’ll wish they’d saved. 3 tends to be a mix of mediocre g~7-9 Phoenix and NS squads. We tell people to split up arena teams between both zone 1’s, and bottom zone 3. And then, whatever else people throw in, they throw into both 2’s and bottom 4.

What does that layout accomplish? You’re giving them a choice between an ‘easy’ zone and a difficult one. More coordinated guilds will go through the challenge and try to press to ships. And when they come back to the bottom, they’ll be low on gas and then break hard against arena level teams sooner than they expect them in back. Less coordinated guilds, or those that decide to take the bait and not chase ships will clean up the easy teams quickly, only to have to choose between arena teams or the Zaul Wall. Either way, they’re back in the same trap when they come back around and try to get to the top.

That’s far from the only strategy, but it’s worked for us because it’s really minimal coordination.

Basically, we tell or people to pick out their 4 best defensive teams. If they have a zmaul Squad, we ask that that be one of them. We label the Territories as A/B/C, and tel people to put in their best squads on A, their worst on C. Relative to their own roster. Somebody else’s C might be my A and that’s fine. The point is we want four teams and a fleet from everyone, so deploy with what you have relative to that.

F F
A C B Z
A B A C

(The A zones get some c/b teams to top off their last few slots as stragglers who deploy late just place anything anywhere. That’s fine.)

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
This needs to be pinned. It sounds like the best approach I've heard so far.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, drat, I’ve gotta copy paste that somewhere. Thanks.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I didn't know that signing up but under-contributing could be a big problem. I pretty much can only throw one squad at TW (a phoenix squad, still working on scoundrels and empire). I'll desist in the future.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

im cute posted:

I didn't know that signing up but under-contributing could be a big problem. I pretty much can only throw one squad at TW (a phoenix squad, still working on scoundrels and empire). I'll desist in the future.

I mean, it goes both ways; the matchmaking is based on who signs up, so if you sign up at a much lower GP than everyone, you theoretically won’t result in a much tougher opponent being drawn to match or anything.

In general, I have faith in the matchmaking algorithm at this point to more or less be fair enough that if everybody puts in their 4 best squads - no matter how much better or worse than the next persons four Best squads - you’ll be fine.

What sucks is not putting in your fourth squad that’s absolute garbage, it’s making somebody else put in their 7th Squad that’s literally jawa jambore with a side of mob enforcers.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I don't have very good defensive squad except Phoenix, which ive put on defense so far. The rest of my stuff i have been saving for offense. Due to cosmic coincidences i have been unable to go on the offensive for every TW except the first one so far, so me saving all those good offensive teams for that have kinda been wasted (not that i knew i wouldn't have time)

I notice that QGJ only have ~40 or so participants in TW. Does that not matter and we get paired with a guild with the same attendance?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

MichiganCubbie posted:

Hey Qbe, I'm trying to reach out to you on here since you're not on Discord. Just wanted to let you know that you're being dropped from SM because of lack of participation in the guild events, such as Territory Wars and Territory Battles, but if you wanted to try to get into QGJ, you can ask them about getting a spot.

It's fine I'm from EU and I miss raids constantly, they are at 4-5am for me most of the time. I'm also not as devoted to the game as other guys so it's all cool

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

I don't have very good defensive squad except Phoenix, which ive put on defense so far. The rest of my stuff i have been saving for offense. Due to cosmic coincidences i have been unable to go on the offensive for every TW except the first one so far, so me saving all those good offensive teams for that have kinda been wasted (not that i knew i wouldn't have time)

I notice that QGJ only have ~40 or so participants in TW. Does that not matter and we get paired with a guild with the same attendance?

You're matched with guilds based on the participating GP.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Alright, so just to make sure, I should be putting my 4 best teams on defense, even if that leaves me with basically garbage that can't do much on offense? And I should focus on the left most zone (zone 1, in the post above), unless I have a particularly annoying team to fight like zMaul (I don't, but I can envision an annoying team of tanks and healers that don't go great anywhere else, something like STH, Ewok Elder, Old Daka, and...some other stuff) on the right most zone (zone 4)? And then obviously a defense fleet.

Man, I have been making TW actively worse for QGJ. Sorry about that, I'll be better now.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Alright, so just to make sure, I should be putting my 4 best teams on defense, even if that leaves me with basically garbage that can't do much on offense? And I should focus on the left most zone (zone 1, in the post above), unless I have a particularly annoying team to fight like zMaul (I don't, but I can envision an annoying team of tanks and healers that don't go great anywhere else, something like STH, Ewok Elder, Old Daka, and...some other stuff) on the right most zone (zone 4)? And then obviously a defense fleet.

Man, I have been making TW actively worse for QGJ. Sorry about that, I'll be better now.

Zone 1 (meaning back-line), should be your stickiest loving poo poo kickinest arena-grade assholes.

Zone 4 (front-row) should be you underpowere, but tough synergy squads like phoenix.

This is going to be my TW defense for a while:

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 10, 2018

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

texting my ex posted:

It's fine I'm from EU and I miss raids constantly, they are at 4-5am for me most of the time. I'm also not as devoted to the game as other guys so it's all cool

I think QGJ raids should work out better for you then. They're at like 8 PM EU time

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Current TW Defense plan

Future plans involve building up a JTR squad, but that requires a lot of zetas (which I'm already spending on Nightsisters). So until they're done, I'm just gearing random dudes like CHS that fit into here. Also probably OB next, and Krennic.

CaptainPsyko posted:

In general, I have faith in the matchmaking algorithm at this point to more or less be fair enough that if everybody puts in their 4 best squads - no matter how much better or worse than the next persons four Best squads - you’ll be fine.
I have absolutely no faith in their matchmaking algorithm, and I think the longer it runs, the worse it will get. I say this because their matchmaking absolutely sucks at the top. I think that they have something that prevents rematches, so this is already resulting in some really messed up things. With 152 mil GP, our last two matchups are currently at 170 mil each. I think when we played BHG, it was closer to a 19 mil discrepancy. I'm guessing we're hitting TI Bravo (176 mil) next. Looking at the top 10 guilds, they have:
So, first time through, you get fairly decent matchups, wosrt one is 170 to 164. The next matchup, you get a spacing of 2 from top to bottom, so 176 vs 170, 171 vs 164, 157 vs 153, 154 vs 152. 3rd time you get 176 vs 164, 171 vs 170, 157 vs 152, 154 vs 153. Then it goes to 176 vs 157, and eventually, all top 10 guilds will have played each other, and will all start playing down 5 to 10 places to get matchups. This will then result in bad matches down the line.
By this I mean, you'll see something like:
1st vs 11th
2nd vs 12th
10th vs 20th.
At this point, similarly, 21st will have played those immediately around it, so it will play down to 30th, which is still a 5 mil difference. As soon as there is a 1 mil difference in GP, it's hard to win, and at 3 mil it's all but guaranteed outcome (that's like adding one whale to your squad). So basically, the more TWs we run, the worse it's going to get (for everyone) until CG realizes what they've done.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 10, 2018

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Yeah, ~whale problems~ above ~130m GP or so seem to be a thing.

I don’t think those problems, which have to do with he relatively small pool y’all are swimming in, are germane to giving advice to the GQJ’s of the world.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Some dude friended me on discord to recruit me to his lovely 120m GP guild.

I guess he trolls swgohgg looking for high GP accounts with contact info listed and just takes shots in the dark.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
CaptainPsyko's point was more about TW for QGJ. You should absolutely play TW for the rewards.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?

Chilichimp posted:

Some dude friended me on discord to recruit me to his lovely 120m GP guild.

I guess he trolls swgohgg looking for high GP accounts with contact info listed and just takes shots in the dark.

Did you do this to him? Don't gently caress with SM

Coincedentally, that is also what Chili will do to you if you don't put up 100+ points this TW and make him put 10 teams on D again

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

oops wrong forum posted:

Coincedentally, that is also what Chili will do to you if you don't put up 100+ points this TW and make him put 10 teams on D again

nah, I'm embracing the "everyone put 4 teams on D" approach. And my D teams are loving rad.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Chili loves the D.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, I've committed my 4 best teams for defense in the left most zone, and, what I think will be an annoying to kill team in the right most zone. This, however, leaves me with poo poo all for offense, so good luck everyone else there. (I'll try and see if I can at least pick off some weaker teams)

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 10, 2018

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

All I have for O is a non-zeta Resistance team (because they have some bad AI) so I hope four teams was enough cause I am tapped out

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
My TW Defense:

https://swgoh.gg/u/lesspopmorefizz/squads/938/

https://swgoh.gg/u/lesspopmorefizz/squads/8714/

https://swgoh.gg/u/lesspopmorefizz/squads/8715/

And then, either

https://swgoh.gg/u/lesspopmorefizz/squads/8716/ Or https://swgoh.gg/u/lesspopmorefizz/squads/11721/

TBD

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Is a zeta resistance team strong or weak on defense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Canemacar posted:

Is a zeta resistance team strong or weak on defense?

zeta Jedi Training Rey is strong on defense. Zeta Finn is really weak on defense.