Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

wesleywillis posted:

Whats a good dump in the tank combustion chamber cleaner?
Friend's mom, thinks her car is starting to run kinda lovely (don't know the exact details) and has been putting higher octane gas in her tank to help compensate.

BG44K and BG244 are the ones that I use and they seem to get good reviews, as distinct from the usual snake oil.

Anecdotal and family reviews also agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

wesleywillis posted:

Friend's mom, thinks her car is starting to run kinda lovely (don't know the exact details) and has been putting higher octane gas in her tank to help compensate.

Any idea when the spark plugs were last inspected or replaced?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, stupid question.

A friend has a flat tire and can't get the lugs off. I am going to go over there after work with my breaker bar and impact, but in the meantime he ordered some never-seez from Amazon. I wouldn't think it's a good idea to use that kind of stuff on lugs, am I wrong? If not, what's the best way to prevent the nuts from seizing in the future?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

In my experience, they're probably not seized, just overtightened because the lube jockeys can't be bothered to whip out a torque wrench and just hammer them on with the impact on full power. Use a torque wrench to tighten them only up to spec and they should be fine.

Also have your friend get a cross wrench if they don't already have one. Twice the handles = twice the torque, and since you're pushing one side and pulling the other, it's not trying to bend the stud, so unlike your usual factory tire wrench, all your effort is going toward loosening the actual nut.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

wesleywillis posted:

The bolded part is just going to make things worse. Higher octane fuel is actually harder to burn, and unless the car in question has some form of forced induction (turbo/supercharging) or higher than normal compression the car will run poorly on mid or premium grade. Basically, if it doesn't say "PREMIUM FUEL ONLY" on the fuel gauge and/or cap the car isn't designed for it.

She needs to pump regular gas before running any kind of cleaner through the tank.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 8, 2018

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Enourmo posted:

In my experience, they're probably not seized, just overtightened because the lube jockeys can't be bothered to whip out a torque wrench and just hammer them on with the impact on full power. Use a torque wrench to tighten them only up to spec and they should be fine.

Also have your friend get a cross wrench if they don't already have one. Twice the handles = twice the torque, and since you're pushing one side and pulling the other, it's not trying to bend the stud, so unlike your usual factory tire wrench, all your effort is going toward loosening the actual nut.

That's kind of what I thought, but they could still be seized. The wheels probably haven't been off in years and with the salt they put on the roads here, everything corrodes in short order.

I don't know if I need to talk him out of using the anti-seize or if it won't make a difference.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Talk him out of it. Using anti seize throws off the torque readings when you use a torque wrench.

It's fine to use a thin layer on the surface of the hub where the wheel mates with it (it'll keep the wheel from corroding to the hub, since you mentioned it's a salt area), but not on the threads.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Talk him out of it. Using anti seize throws off the torque readings when you use a torque wrench.

It's fine to use a thin layer on the surface of the hub where the wheel mates with it (it'll keep the wheel from corroding to the hub, since you mentioned it's a salt area), but not on the threads.

'Torque readings'?

Do you mean the little lever that changes from 'FWD' to 'REV' on my rattlegun?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It lets you get in a few too many ugga duggas and snap the studs off a lot easier.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When you guys told me to get windshield washer fluid before driving up to Buffalo, I assumed it was because my existing fluid might freeze.

Boy was I wrong.

https://imgur.com/a/qoF66

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's so cute. :kimchi:

This happened in Texas (Frisco TX, a far northern suburb of Dallas)... 11 loving hours of doing pizza delivery on slush/ice.. what you can't tell is that's a good 2-3 inches of ice on the ground there, and all the roads were "cobblestone ice" (that poo poo SUCKS to drive on!) Or maybe I just knocked over a can of Red Bull and it grew wings, just on the wrong part. I was one out of 3 drivers brave stupid enough to work all day in that poo poo, out of something like 12 scheduled. I opened (10am), we closed early (9pm), I left at 9:30pm (scheduled off at 3pm). Closing driver came in around 4pm, didn't leave until 3am (both dishwashers pulled a NC/NS :fuckoff:).

We don't get much winter weather. But when we do, it fucks us sideways, with no lube and an 18 inch steel spiked dildo.

But yeah, the salt spray also sucks balls. My big checklist items before a road trip: tire pressure/tread, oil level, coolant, washer fluid (I would add transmission fluid to that list if I didn't have a manual, and power steering fluid if I had a car with it...). We don't use (much) salt here, but the road spray from a thawing road may as well be some James Bond poo poo by the time it hits your windshield.

Remember the part when I suggested Armor All or vaseline on your door seals? It took me 15 minutes to get into my car the morning of that photo, because the doors were frozen shut via the seals. I wound up using a prybar to get the drivers door open that morning, and broke a bit of trim doing so. :sigh: (I replaced it, it came loose again, so it's been without that trim for a few years even though I still have a nearly new trim piece). Wound up ripping the seals up a little bit as well.

e: to be honest I was more concerned about the fluid freezing too, but I always assume every road trip will involve a lot of washer fluid. My road trips tend to involve driving through a ton of nowhere (Texas is too loving big), so I wind up with bug splatter everywhere. My car holds exactly a gallon (as in when it stops pumping, I can buy a 1 gallon jug of washer fluid, and it's literally at the edge of the fill tube if I dump it all in). Those tanks are usually a pain to get to (generally buried behind the bumper), so having one crack from freezing is even more of a pain than having the fluid freeze.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 9, 2018

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Geoj posted:

The bolded part is just going to make things worse. Higher octane fuel is actually harder to burn, and unless the car in question has some form of forced induction (turbo/supercharging) or higher than normal compression the car will run poorly on mid or premium grade. Basically, if it doesn't say "PREMIUM FUEL ONLY" on the fuel gauge and/or cap the car isn't designed for it.

She needs to pump regular gas before running any kind of cleaner through the tank.

I know, Carbon deposits create hotspots that cause preignition. Higher (but not necessarily premium) octane fuel will help with that. But yeah, thats a bandaid solution at best. Close the wound, don't just keep mopping up the blood.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
No, higher octane fuel protects against knock because it is less likely to autoignite due to compression. Preignition due to hot spots are an entirely beast and octane rating doesn't really help against it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Higher-than required octane fuel can actually CAUSE carbon buildup, since the stuff is harder to ignite, at low-load/low-rpm, it’s not burning as cleanly as it should.

People that pump premium “because it’s better” are fools at best.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I was able to get the lugnuts off with my breaker bar no problem. The bigger issue was that his tire was completely flat and unseated from the wheel, and his full size spare was also flat and had a big hole in it somewhere. So he is having it towed to a shop this morning.

I at least properly torqued the nuts back on :v:

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 9, 2018

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

totalnewbie posted:

No, higher octane fuel protects against knock because it is less likely to autoignite due to compression. Preignition due to hot spots are an entirely beast and octane rating doesn't really help against it.

I won't argue, since it still is along the lines of what I know/believe.
That being said, please science me on the last sentence.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well, first let's clarify that there are different types of abnormal ignition (when there IS ignition):

These two are fairly well understood:
Pre-ignition (due to hot spots)
Knock (to varying degrees)

The following usually-but-not-always refer to the same, not very well understood phenomenon:
Low speed pre-ignition (LSPI)
Megaknock
Superknock

Basically, in PI, the air/fuel mixture is ignited by a hot spot in the combustion chamber (spark plug, valve, whatever). This occurs prior to spark timing. This flame then expands throughout the combustion chamber.
In knock, the air/fuel mixture is ignited by the spark plug, and the resulting combustion increases the pressure in the uncombusted parts of the cylinder. Due to the increase in pressure, this air/fuel mixture then auto-ignities (like diesel), and the resulting flame fronts meeting each other causes your knock.

Hence, higher octane, which helps against auto-ignition due to compression, protects against knock but not necessarily against PI.

Peak combustion pressures are higher for PI than knock, so it is much more dangerous for your engine. Once it begins, if you don't pull it back, you can easily destroy an engine, whereas your engine can tolerate some amount of knock, depending on severity and length. A key point for regular PI is that it tends to occur at high speeds, as components don't have time to cool.

For LSPI/megaknock/superknock, the peak pressures are MUCH higher than standard PI and engines basically can't tolerate it at all. In addition, it occurs at LOW speeds, which is unexpected. The reasons for these phenomena are still poorly understood, though there's a lot of research about it (look up these terms at the SAE conference and you'll find lots of stuff). So far, it's been related to all sorts of things, like charging (which seems to be the biggest contributor) as well as oil blow-by, type of oil, fuel, etc. One of the fundamental challenges to doing this research is you end up replacing 1 or more pistons (or other engine components) every time you get a "positive" result, so it's not research for the faint of heart.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Awesome post. Stratified automotive (eco boost/VW/Mazda tuners) have some really good articles regarding LSPI and how the early mazdaspeed 3s were affected.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've heard people say that they use high-octane fuel in their cars because it means the car can run leaner, thus using less fuel. Again, that sound ridiculous, but I don't know enough of the engineering behind it to tell them why they're wrong.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
If their concern is saving money, they'd need to make up in fuel-economy the difference between regular and premium. Given that regular-premium is something like 10% price increase, ask if they're getting a 10% increase in fuel economy.

I wrote up a bunch of stuff but in the end, it really depends on the car and fuel. But in short, if your car isn't designed to take advantage of higher octane fuel, you're not going to get the benefits from it. And definitely not enough to offset the cost of premium over regular.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I sometimes run it when it hits like 110f+ outside in an aircooled engine. Premium knocks about 10f off head temps. I dont think it would be a measurable difference in a water cooled engine. If its not really hot i dont even get that 10f difference for whatever reason engine temps need to go way over what a normal engine can handle for the difference to show up. It doesnt really matter under 240f lol.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

totalnewbie posted:

Well, first let's clarify that there are different types of abnormal ignition (when there IS ignition):

These two are fairly well understood:
Pre-ignition (due to hot spots)
Knock (to varying degrees)

The following usually-but-not-always refer to the same, not very well understood phenomenon:
Low speed pre-ignition (LSPI)
Megaknock
Superknock

Basically, in PI, the air/fuel mixture is ignited by a hot spot in the combustion chamber (spark plug, valve, whatever). This occurs prior to spark timing. This flame then expands throughout the combustion chamber.
In knock, the air/fuel mixture is ignited by the spark plug, and the resulting combustion increases the pressure in the uncombusted parts of the cylinder. Due to the increase in pressure, this air/fuel mixture then auto-ignities (like diesel), and the resulting flame fronts meeting each other causes your knock.

Hence, higher octane, which helps against auto-ignition due to compression, protects against knock but not necessarily against PI.

Peak combustion pressures are higher for PI than knock, so it is much more dangerous for your engine. Once it begins, if you don't pull it back, you can easily destroy an engine, whereas your engine can tolerate some amount of knock, depending on severity and length. A key point for regular PI is that it tends to occur at high speeds, as components don't have time to cool.

For LSPI/megaknock/superknock, the peak pressures are MUCH higher than standard PI and engines basically can't tolerate it at all. In addition, it occurs at LOW speeds, which is unexpected. The reasons for these phenomena are still poorly understood, though there's a lot of research about it (look up these terms at the SAE conference and you'll find lots of stuff). So far, it's been related to all sorts of things, like charging (which seems to be the biggest contributor) as well as oil blow-by, type of oil, fuel, etc. One of the fundamental challenges to doing this research is you end up replacing 1 or more pistons (or other engine components) every time you get a "positive" result, so it's not research for the faint of heart.

There is real interesting research on inducing it with star patterns etched in the combustion chamber. You basically have full torque and hp at any rpm. Its a completely flat curve. It's really only been done to little motorcycle engines though and after a certain point it just shatters the heads. There is a motorcycle racer in india who used to do this by hand to cheat. He didnt even need gears anymore. Ive always wanted to try a mild grind on an old engine but its hard to not be lazy when im like 90% sure its gonna explode.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DogonCrook posted:

There is real interesting research on inducing it with star patterns etched in the combustion chamber.

No wonder people can't understand why this works. "Star patterns" is entirely the wrong terminology.

:devil:

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
I've got a stupid car dealership question. I'm trying to arrange a test drive of a model my local dealer isn't keeping any stock of, before they will even consider helping me out they want a purchase contract subject to test drive signed. This seems immensely lovely and shady to me, and like I could easily overlook something and be stuck on a purchase contract for a car I end up not being interested in. Is this pretty standard procedure, or should I be right to be a bit suspicious? This is in Australia for some reference.

To make it worse for me/more reasonable for them I would have to travel about 1000km to get to a dealer actually keeping one in stock from what I can see. Car in question is a Fiat 595, but even trying to test drive a standard 500 is like pulling teeth.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I run premium (98 RON) because my car runs on LPG and it only starts on gasoline. So I figure the cleaning effects of the "premium" gasoline will help a bit to keep my injectiors from gunking up.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

totalnewbie posted:

. But in short, if your car isn't designed to take advantage of higher octane fuel, you're not going to get the benefits from it. And definitely not enough to offset the cost of premium over regular.

Word, I always (or almost always) knew that, but your other post was quite informative as well.

Does it sometimes have to do with carbon deposits also raising compression slightly? Or would you need like an eighth inch of carbon on the piston top to make a difference?

Do regular fuels typically have the same detergents etc that used to only (apparently) come in premium fuel?

Anecdotal story:
Working a a garage just out of high school (summer of '98) car comes in and it was running like poo poo. Early 90s Buick with... 3.1 or maybe 3.3.
Many things were tried to get it to run good. Last thing was to run about 6 cans of combustion chamber cleaner through the engine from a vacuum line directly in to the intake manifold, and thus through the engine in short order, obviously speeding up the process compared to running the same poo poo through six tanks of fuel.

There was smoke like a motherfucker, but once it was all over, the car ran WAAAAYYY the gently caress better. The mechanic mentioned that "thats why, every so often you should run a tank of premium through the car". His reasoning was detergents and whatnot that clean up carbon etc.

Though I didn't necessarily know it at the time, the higher octane, more resistant to ignition would the detergents make a difference? or would the "lesser burn" offset the effects of any detergents in the fuel?

What says the goons on this subject?

This is why I love AI.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spankmeister posted:

I run premium (98 RON) because my car runs on LPG and it only starts on gasoline. So I figure the cleaning effects of the "premium" gasoline will help a bit to keep my injectiors from gunking up.

When you say “starts”, does the petrol just get the engine turning and once it’s idling steady you flip it over to LPG or do you run it for a few minutes on petrol and turn on the LPG once it’s nice and warm?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Platystemon posted:

When you say “starts”, does the petrol just get the engine turning and once it’s idling steady you flip it over to LPG or do you run it for a few minutes on petrol and turn on the LPG once it’s nice and warm?

Mine switches over once the coolant temp reaches 22'C

So, depending on the ambient temperature, that's usually within 3-5mins of a cold start.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Mahatma-Squid posted:

I've got a stupid car dealership question. I'm trying to arrange a test drive of a model my local dealer isn't keeping any stock of, before they will even consider helping me out they want a purchase contract subject to test drive signed. This seems immensely lovely and shady to me, and like I could easily overlook something and be stuck on a purchase contract for a car I end up not being interested in. Is this pretty standard procedure, or should I be right to be a bit suspicious? This is in Australia for some reference.

To make it worse for me/more reasonable for them I would have to travel about 1000km to get to a dealer actually keeping one in stock from what I can see. Car in question is a Fiat 595, but even trying to test drive a standard 500 is like pulling teeth.

Consider what the cost to the dealership is to stock a car. They effectively have to purchase it from the manufacturer and put it on their books, so its not surprising they'd want to get you to agree to purchase it before ordering one.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

wesleywillis posted:

Word, I always (or almost always) knew that, but your other post was quite informative as well.

Does it sometimes have to do with carbon deposits also raising compression slightly? Or would you need like an eighth inch of carbon on the piston top to make a difference?

Do regular fuels typically have the same detergents etc that used to only (apparently) come in premium fuel?

Anecdotal story:
Working a a garage just out of high school (summer of '98) car comes in and it was running like poo poo. Early 90s Buick with... 3.1 or maybe 3.3.
Many things were tried to get it to run good. Last thing was to run about 6 cans of combustion chamber cleaner through the engine from a vacuum line directly in to the intake manifold, and thus through the engine in short order, obviously speeding up the process compared to running the same poo poo through six tanks of fuel.

There was smoke like a motherfucker, but once it was all over, the car ran WAAAAYYY the gently caress better. The mechanic mentioned that "thats why, every so often you should run a tank of premium through the car". His reasoning was detergents and whatnot that clean up carbon etc.

Though I didn't necessarily know it at the time, the higher octane, more resistant to ignition would the detergents make a difference? or would the "lesser burn" offset the effects of any detergents in the fuel?

What says the goons on this subject?

This is why I love AI.

Carbon deposits: the amount of carbon you might find in the combustion chamber should not be anywhere close to affecting the compression ratio. If there's that much carbon, something is already drastically wrong with your car. Also, you're much more likely to just misfire from fouled spark plugs before any effect from carbon deposits on the CR.

What additives go into fuel is not something I'm familiar with, but probably all fuels should have similar additives (depending on who makes the fuel).

For your anecdote, I imagine that carbon might have been in the intake itself, rather than the combustion chamber. But I'm an engineer, not a mechanic, so /shrug. But the only thing you need to clean up carbon is basically heat. Get your engine up to temperature and you shouldn't have any carbon buildup in the combustion chamber because carbon burns up at normal operating temperatures.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Platystemon posted:

It switches automatically once the coolant is warm enough to gasify the LPG.

You can switch back and forth by hand as well, but the fuel system won't "click over" if the gasifier is not yet up to temp

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 10, 2018

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

totalnewbie posted:

Carbon deposits: the amount of carbon you might find in the combustion chamber should not be anywhere close to affecting the compression ratio. If there's that much carbon, something is already drastically wrong with your car. Also, you're much more likely to just misfire from fouled spark plugs before any effect from carbon deposits on the CR.

What additives go into fuel is not something I'm familiar with, but probably all fuels should have similar additives (depending on who makes the fuel).

For your anecdote, I imagine that carbon might have been in the intake itself, rather than the combustion chamber. But I'm an engineer, not a mechanic, so /shrug. But the only thing you need to clean up carbon is basically heat. Get your engine up to temperature and you shouldn't have any carbon buildup in the combustion chamber because carbon burns up at normal operating temperatures.

Right, the problem with some of the earlier direct injection designs (VAG especially, doubly so for the 4.2 V8) is that there would be carbon buildup in the intake that would normally be cleaned by fuel flow in a port injected engine. The intake side would get totally carbon coked and would barely flow air.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

What will I gently caress up, and how badly, if I leave a car untouched in my garden over winter (outside of the battery)? It gets to about -10/15C here. A great deal has popped up but I'm all out of storage space and won't be able to do anything with it until spring anyway.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I still can't figure out the idle problem with my 1988 F150 302. It starts up and idles great for 5 minutes or so at 1000 RPM, but after that 5 minutes, it starts dropping down to 800 or so and coming back up. Once I take it out driving though and I stop, it drops down 500 RPM, sometimes killing it. If it doesn't die, it will flutter 500-1000 RPM a few times, then return to 1000 RPM. I got no idea what's wrong. I hooked up a pressure gauge today and the fuel pressure is at the low side of the allowed range, but it's in there. At least it's in range while in my driveway. I replaced the fuel regulator anyway since its vacuum connector was bent and I also swapped out the IACV, but I have the same problem. I wish I could check the pressure while out on the road so I could catch it while it drops to 500 RPM, but that gauge is a rental and I don't want to have it hanging out of the hood while I'm out driving. Oh, and driving with the hood open.

I even hooked up my code scanner too, no codes. So what's left to check?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

kid sinister posted:

I still can't figure out the idle problem with my 1988 F150 302. It starts up and idles great for 5 minutes or so at 1000 RPM, but after that 5 minutes, it starts dropping down to 800 or so and coming back up. Once I take it out driving though and I stop, it drops down 500 RPM, sometimes killing it. If it doesn't die, it will flutter 500-1000 RPM a few times, then return to 1000 RPM. I got no idea what's wrong. I hooked up a pressure gauge today and the fuel pressure is at the low side of the allowed range, but it's in there. At least it's in range while in my driveway. I replaced the fuel regulator anyway since its vacuum connector was bent and I also swapped out the IACV, but I have the same problem. I wish I could check the pressure while out on the road so I could catch it while it drops to 500 RPM, but that gauge is a rental and I don't want to have it hanging out of the hood while I'm out driving. Oh, and driving with the hood open.

I even hooked up my code scanner too, no codes. So what's left to check?

Yeah you need to check while driving unfortunately or just gamble and swap the pump. The symptoms sound like the pump might be overheating.

E: doesnt this truck have two pumps? Does it do it on both?

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 11, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grakkus posted:

What will I gently caress up, and how badly, if I leave a car untouched in my garden over winter (outside of the battery)? It gets to about -10/15C here. A great deal has popped up but I'm all out of storage space and won't be able to do anything with it until spring anyway.

Make sure the antifreeze is still good (if in doubt, fully drain the cooling system and refill with the proper 50/50 mix, which should be good down to -34F - or fully drain it immediately, then refill it in the spring), and put some fuel stabilizer in the gas tank.

kid sinister posted:

Did you try blipping the throttle with the gauge hooked up?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah you need to check while driving unfortunately or just gamble and swap the pump. The symptoms sound like the pump might be overheating.

E: doesnt this truck have two pumps? Does it do it on both?

Dual tanks, a low pressure pump in either tank and a high pressure pump after the tank selector valve. Yes it does it on either tank.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Did you try blipping the throttle with the gauge hooked up?

I played with my V8 gunned it a few times in the driveway. Pressure would drop like 2 PSI and then go back up.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Have you tried putting it in neutral when its idling low to see if that helps? Like maybe the torque convertor is locking up (it probably didn't have a lock up convertor in 88?) or otherwise hosed?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Hey, is there a thread to talk ODB adapters and apps?

I got a cheap bluetooth ODB adapter for Christmas and I'm enjoying it (Except mine's faulty so we're gonna get it replaced), but I'm wondering about apps and features and poo poo. Wanted to get into a discussion. What's the best thread for that?

khy fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Grakkus posted:

No chance you can get someone to give it a start every 4 weeks or so?