Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

INDYCAR Grand Prix of Sonoma Fast Facts

Race Weekend: Friday, September 14 - Sunday, September 16
Super Sperg Weekend Schedule

Track: Sonoma Raceway, a 12-turn, a 2.385-mile permanent road course in Sonoma, California

quote:

The 2.385-mile, 12-turn natural-terrain road course has it all to challenge drivers -- elevation changes, a tight right-hand hiarpin (Turn 12) leading onto the frontstretch, a Carousel turn that requires downshifting -- all packed into a scenic setting.

Race Distance: 85 laps / 202.7 miles

Entry List: INDYCAR Grand Prix of Sonoma (PDF)

Push-to-Pass Parameters: 150 seconds of total time with a maximum time of 15 seconds per activation
Firestone Tire Allotment: Seven sets primary, four sets alternate. Teams must use one set of primary and one new set of alternate tires in the race.

Twitter: @RaceSonoma, @IndyCar, #SonomaGP, #INDYCAR
Event Website: https://www.sonomaraceway.com

2017 Race Winner: Simon Pagenaud (No. 1 Team Penske Chevrolet)
2017 Pole Winner: Josef Newgarden (No. 2 Team Penske Chevrolet), 1:15.5205, 113.691 mph
Qualifying Record: Josef Newgarden, 1:15.5205, 113.691 mph, 9/16/2017

NBCSN Broadcasts:
Free Practice 1 - 4:00pm ET Friday, September 14 (same-day delay)
Free Practice 2 - 6:00pm ET Friday, September 14 (live)
Qualifying - 8:00pm ET Saturday, September 15 (same-day delay)
Race - 6:30pm ET Sunday, September 16 (live)

quote:

Leigh Diffey is the lead announcer alongside analysts Townsend Bell and Paul Tracy. Pit reporters are Jon Beekhuis, Katie Hargitt, Kevin Lee and Robin Miller.

Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network Broadcasts: Mark Jaynes is the chief announcer alongside analyst Anders Krohn. Nick Yeoman (Turn 7) and Jake Query (Turn 9) are the turn announcers with Dave Furst, Michael Young and Dan Rusanowsky reporting from the pits.
The Verizon IndyCar Series race is broadcast live on network affiliates, Sirius 98, XM 209, IndyCar.com, indycarradio.com and the INDYCAR Mobile app. The Verizon IndyCar Series qualifying session is broadcast live on Sirius 216, XM 209, IndyCar.com, indycarradio.com and the INDYCAR Mobile app. All Verizon IndyCar Series practice are available on IndyCar.com, indycarradio.com and the INDYCAR Mobile app.

Video Streaming: All sessions not covered by live television will be available on the INDYCAR YouTube channel and Timing & Scoring (free registration required)

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Welcome to the Verizon IndyCar Series 2018 Thread!

2018 Schedule

Off-Season Testing Schedule (PDF)

2018 Fantasy IndyCar is back! Here's how to join:
  1. Go here and register - http://fantasy.indycar.com/
  2. Then go to the Leagues page and enter LLJK as your League Access Code

3. Make your picks before each race
  4. Win the respect of your fellow goons

2017 Fantasy IndyCar Podium

P1: Bentai (2,541)
P2: KingShibby (-73)
P3: Dudley (-209)

Discord/IRC
Discord: https://discord.gg/kg3d2Uu
#ics on irc.synirc.net

2018 Aero Kits

The 2015-17 era of manufacturer-specific body kits is over, now both Honda and Chevy teams will use one new set of aero designed and built by Dallara and which promises more underbody aero and a much cleaner, more 1980s/1990s-inspired IndyCar look.

The Road to Indy
IndyCar features the Mazda Road to Indy ladder system, which provides a defined path for up-and-coming open-wheel racers to reach the top. Several IndyCar teams run teams in the lower series as well. Many of these series race on the same weekend as IndyCar as support races.

- IndyCar Minor Leagues, many of the current IndyCar drivers are Indy Lights graduates. Current Indy Lights Champion Kyle Kaiser was awarded a 3 race scholarship in IndyCar this season, including the Indy 500. Kaiser will be driving with Juncos Racing for at least three races. Now in its 4th season, the Dallara IL-15 Chassis has received rave reviews and should better prepare drivers for the big leagues.

- Brand new PM-18 this year!

- Bottom rung of the ladder, usually first step after pro-karting. The Italian company Tattus was selected to build the new chassis for USF2000 to debut this season.

USAC Silver Crown / Midgets - While not officially part of the Road to Indy Ladder, many current and former open wheel drivers got their start in sprint cars. One even got to kill someone on-track during a sprint race, cool huh?

The All American Soap Box Derby - They're open-wheel and have an IndyCar sticker, they count.

News and Blogs
All IndyCar "blogs" are terrible. Also fans on Twitter (except for most goons)
http://www.indystar.com/irl

Twitter
Just follow these lists
Feel free to follow me too.

IndyCar on TV

IndyCar Series
Booth: Leigh Diffey/Brian Till/Bob Varsha/Rick Allen (pre-NASCAR season), two of Townsend Bell/Paul Tracy/David Hobbs/Steve Matchett
Pits: Jon Beekhuis, Kevin Lee, Robin Miller, Marty Snider (pre-NASCAR season), Katie Hargitt (during NASCAR on NBC season)

This has always been a bit of a hodgepodge, as NBC has too few people in too many places. Diffey is excellent and calls the majority of races except those which clash with F1 telecasts, for which he's also responsible, at which point Till or Varsha pinch hit. The most typical color analysts seem to be Bell and Tracy, though Hobbs and Matchett make occasional appearances. Matchett's giddiness at Fontana last year was fun.

Indy Lights
Booth: Kevin Lee, Anders Krohn
Pits: Katie Hargitt

Much like NBC does with NASCAR's K&N and Modified series, Indy Lights races are shown in condensed, one-hour shows on tape delay. Check local listings. (Watch the race at Indianapolis.)
There's also a quarterly highlights show for USF2000 and Pro Mazda which is pretty good.

Lights races can be seen internationally on these networks:

quote:

SPORTSNET – Canada
ESPN – Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela
SPEED – Australia
SKY SPORT – New Zealand

:byewhore:

IndyCar on Radio

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network is the radio home for IndyCar races throughout the season. Paul Page is lead announcer. Races can also be heard on Sirius Channel 212 or XM 209.

Internet-Based Viewing Options
Whenever practice/qualifying isn't broadcasted on TV, Timing & Scoring carries live streaming video. Free e-mail registration is required
Also check the IndyCar YouTube page for more videos and live streaming.

Previous Threads
IndyCar 2017: A bunch of different names
IndyCar 2016: A Series as Recognizable as its Champion
IndyCar 2015: It's in Jeopardy!
Indycar 2014: Formula Juan
Indiecar Series 2013: You Probably Haven't Heard of It
IndyCar Series 2012: NASCAR Refugees Welcome!
Indycar Series 2011: Dan Wheldon Appreciation Station
Izod Indycar Series 2010: Sato what happened? Sato!? SATOOOOOOOOO!
Indycar [2009] Month of May and Indy 500: Paul Tracy Revenge Edition
Indy Car 2008: Can hell freeze over twice?
Hell frozen over: Champ Car/IRL Unification [2007/8]
Indy Racing League [2007]: Yes it still exists!
Champ Car 2006 Season Thread
2005 Champ Car Season Thread

Team Lineup
Check the next post

Thread Rules
Bringing back the F1chat rule. We get it, IndyCar is an inferior form of open-wheel compared to F1 and you'd love to tell us about it, but feel free to do that in the Worst Thread. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy some actual competition and close racing over here.

:fyadride: Portland, new Pro Mazda car, Danica, Carlin Racing, more Juncos
:rip: Bryan Clauson, Justin Wilson, Watkins Glen

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 13, 2018

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
2018 RIDES:

Full-Time Entries

A.J. Foyt Racing (Chevrolet)
No. 4 Matheus Leist (rookie)
No.14 Tony Kanaan

Andretti Autosport (Honda)
No.26 Zach Veach (rookie)
No.27 Alexander Rossi
No.28 Ryan Hunter-Reay
No.98 Marco Andretti

Carlin Racing (Chevrolet)
No.23 Charlie Kimball
No.59 Max Chilton

Chip Ganassi Racing (Honda)
No.9 Scott Dixon
No.10 Ed Jones

Dale Coyne Racing/DCR with Vasser-Sullivan (Honda)
No.18 Sebastien Bourdais
No.19 Zachary Claman De Melo (rookie): St. Pete, Long Beach, Barber, Detroit 1/2, Road America, Iowa, Toronto, Pocono, Gateway
No.19 Pietro Fittipaldi: Phoenix, Indy GP, Indy 500, Texas, Mid-Ohio, Portland, Sonoma

Ed Carpenter Racing (Chevrolet)
No.20 Ed Carpenter: Phoenix, Indy 500, Texas, Iowa, Pocono, Gateway
No.20 Jordan King (rookie): St. Pete, Long Beach, Barber, Indy GP, Detroit 1/2, Road America, Toronto, Mid-Ohio, Portland, Sonoma
No.21 Spencer Pigot

Harding Racing (Chevrolet)
No.88 Gabby Chaves

Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (Honda)
No.15 Graham Rahal
No.30 Takuma Sato

Schmidt Peterson Motorsports (Honda)
No.5 James Hinchcliffe
No.6 Robert Wickens (rookie).

Team Penske (Chevrolet)
No.1 Josef Newgarden
No.12 Will Power
No.22 Simon Pagenaud

Part-time entries (two races, minimum)

Juncos Racing (Chevrolet)
No.32: Kyle Kaiser (rookie): Phoenix, Long Beach, Indy GP, Indy 500. Rene Binder (rookie): St. Pete, Barber, Toronto, Mid-Ohio

Michael Shank Racing with SPM (Honda)
No.60 Jack Harvey (rookie): St. Pete, Long Beach, Indy 500, Mid-Ohio, Portland, Sonoma

Team Penske (Chevrolet)
No.3: Helio Castroneves: Indy GP, Indy 500

Totals:
Chevy: 12
Honda: 13
Rookies: 9

CONFIRMED 2018 INDIANAPOLIS 500 ENTRIES
Official total is 35, so 2 cars will be bumped on the Saturday of Qualifying
Official Entry List for the 102nd Running of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race (PDF)

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 4, 2018

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Some serious competition for worst hair in Indycar this year.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Shibby posted the uglier of the two aerokits :thumbsup:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe add something along with the body kits "The 2015-17 era of manufacturer-specific body kits is over, now both Honda and Chevy teams will use one new set of aero designed and built by Dallara and which promises more underbody aero and a much cleaner, more 1980s/1990s-inspired IndyCar look."

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
So since NBC lost F1 rights, will Diffey be commentating full time for the NBC races?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I am a thread title. My life is complete.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I am pumped to see Sato dominate and win every race.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Hey KidC, from your last post, is it this pic?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Your reigning IndyCar Champion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg-2Qd7kp9k

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

BMB5150 posted:

Hey KidC, from your last post, is it this pic?

You beautiful soul

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

My bold rear end predictions from last year/thread:

Cygni posted:

I'm gonna make a bold rear end prediction: a third engine manufacturer is announced before the season ends (this is going to be completely wrong, but i wanna be positive)

Also less bold rear end prediction, the new car bodywork will look Good™

well at least i went 1 for 2.

2018 Predictions:

1) Champion will NOT be a Penske driver.

2) gently caress it, lets keep it rolling THIRD ENGINE MANUFACTURER BEFORE SEASON ENDS

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Cygni posted:

1) Champion will NOT be a Penske driver.

I am on board with this go Rossi

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Is Rossi in a competitive team?

...is Sato in a competitive team? I'm still trying to figure out who the big teams are.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The big three teams are Penske, Andretti, and Ganassi. Rossi and Sato are both is driving for Andretti.

*edit*
Oh right, Sato drives for Rahal this year, thanks IOC.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 10, 2018

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Sebastian Bourdais, 2018 IndyCar Champion

Last chance for Marco?

I think one of the new teams will surprise with a top 5 this year. Maybe even a podium.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

The big three teams are Penske, Andretti, and Ganassi. Rossi and Sato are both driving for Andretti.

Sato moved back to Rahal for this year.

WindyMan posted:

Last chance for Marco?

I can't see any scenario where Marco wants a ride and Michael can't provide it, short of the team folding.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Tier 1 is Penske and Ganassi. Compete every year for championships. Big budgets.

Tier 1.5 is Andretti. Occasionally threaten for championships, regularly win a few races a year. Good budget.

Tier 2 is Rahal, Schmidt, and ECR. Rarely threaten for championships/finish top 3, win 1 or 2 races a year maybe. Sufficient budgets.

Tier 3 is Coyne and Foyt. Rarely win races. Small budgets. Coyne out-hustles/out-strategies the field regularly though.

We dunno about Carlin, Harding, Juncos, or Shank.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Bentai posted:

The big three teams are Penske, Andretti, and Ganassi. Rossi and Sato are both driving for Andretti.

Isn't sato driving for Rahal this year?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I am on board with this go Rossi

It's going to be Dixon lol.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Is Sato Penske material?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Roger didn't like how many cars Paul Tracy wadded up, and Tracy was both faster and less likely to wad cars up than Sato.

I'm gonna say "hard pass".

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

Tracy was both faster and less likely to wad cars up than Sato.

Debatable.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

[Edit] Sato is 40 and Honda’s pet driver; Penske has five and arguably six solid drivers in his stable for three cars (Helio, Montoya and Ricky Taylor all over in IMSA instead) and also owns the company which builds Chevy’s IndyCar engines. Sato won’t be driving for The Captain.

Andretti is about to jump up considering the rumors of the money Veach is bringing with him (something like 5 years/$25mil?). And if there’s a third engine manufacturer, you’d once more expect them to pluck Andretti as the works team—established infrastructure, four regular cars/six cars at Indy, and Ganassi (Honda) and Penske (Chevy) are already spoken for.

Bold Prediction Carlin runs consistently but Shank or Juncos fluke the best result of this group of “new” teams.

Also forgot to spaz out that Portland is back :toot: ...but I’ll be stuck in Japan unable to come back to “conveniently” visit that weekend :smith:

harperdc fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 10, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'll leave the second up for debate, but 31* race wins and one championship versus two wins and no championships seems to answer the faster question. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Sato-san, but even accounting for the differences in teams, he's off way more often than not.

*32 (and posting this image yet again)

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 10, 2018

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Definitely going to be interesting to see Carlin that's in a top level domestic series instead of junior categories. Are they running a single car or two?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Definitely going to be interesting to see Carlin that's in a top level domestic series instead of junior categories. Are they running a single car or two?

Two—Charlie “Murphy” Kimball and Are Max Chilton moving over from Ganassi to form the Carlin squad.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'll leave the second up for debate, but 31* race wins and one championship versus two wins and no championships seems to answer the faster question. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Sato-san, but even accounting for the differences in teams, he's off way more often than not.

*32 (and posting this image yet again)

I was being factitious but PT is a huge bonehead.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Paul Tracy was a less good, open wheel version of Kyle Busch.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

I was being factitious but PT is a huge bonehead.

These are not mutually exclusive statements.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Did Kyle Busch ever assault his boss after driving into the back of his teammate and destroying his car y/n?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Did Kyle Busch ever assault his boss after driving into the back of his teammate and destroying his car y/n?

He’s certainly done this at least once.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

Two—Charlie “Murphy” Kimball and Are Max Chilton moving over from Ganassi to form the Carlin squad.

I don't know who Kimball is but uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH to the second

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Paul Tracy rules in the booth tho

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

kidcoelacanth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riGTNfBBQyY

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The genuine shock from other commentators is what makes this so good.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wirth1000 posted:

I don't know who Kimball is but uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH to the second

Kimball is a pretty average driver with money (although in recent years he's looked pretty bad).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

Oh hell yes he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

You all should listen to Dinner with Racers podcast with Paul Tracy. Talks about how his father beat up the flagman/brother to the owner of the track, partied with Lance Armstrong and 10 prostitutes, his various hirings and firings, among many other things.

As for Indycar, I can finally go to a drat race that it's close enough to Seattle. I'll just have to shove the Portland Indycar race in the middle of PAX West.