Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I got a First Strike Ration for an airsoft event yesterday and I love this:

Exactly the same as a regular Starkist pack. But CAMO
A local big-name sausage company makes a great hunter's sausage that comes in their bog-standard packaging:

as well as the hunter's edition:

I can't find it now, but while I was working my way through a bag of these babies last week, I found a site that referred to this as "hunter's packaging".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I got a First Strike Ration for an airsoft event yesterday and I love this:

Exactly the same as a regular Starkist pack. But CAMO

Heh. Great scene in the new Punisher where the Punisher and Micro are on a road trip. Micro busts one out of what appears to be a MRE, opens it and starts mixing it when the Punisher is like "Just give it to me" and starts eating it, while Micro picks up a huge homemade hoagie...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The Punisher is sustained purely by hate and MREs.
Never go into the bathroom after him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's actually a scene in Punisher: Warzone where he takes a family into his secret hideout, and the only food he has are egg&cheese MREs. God, all the farts in that enclosed space...and how does he stay perfectly quiet when he's on sniper duty?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

The Punisher is sustained purely by hate and MREs.
Never go into the bathroom after him.

Halloween Jack posted:

There's actually a scene in Punisher: Warzone where he takes a family into his secret hideout, and the only food he has are egg&cheese MREs. God, all the farts in that enclosed space...and how does he stay perfectly quiet when he's on sniper duty?

You are, of course, falsely assuming The Punisher has a mere mortal digestive tract.

Besides, he's learned to use those to kill too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

and how does he stay perfectly quiet when he's on sniper duty?
I'm getting the image of a Metal Gear Solid game where during the sniper boss fight you have to equip the thermal goggles and look for the plume.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm getting the image of a Metal Gear Solid game where during the sniper boss fight you have to equip the thermal goggles and look for the plume.

Nope. First you have to find a way to unwedge the cork.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Destroy the supply shed and drop a beans ration in its place.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hirayuki posted:

A local big-name sausage company makes a great hunter's sausage that comes in their bog-standard packaging:

as well as the hunter's edition:

I can't find it now, but while I was working my way through a bag of these babies last week, I found a site that referred to this as "hunter's packaging".

Sup SE MI buddy. :hfive:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Phuzzy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R1t8InSD8A

This was notable enough for the inclusion of a note inside the package that basically read, 'marines, this package has been specifically designed to meet your nutritional needs. DO NOT TRADE ITEMS WITH OTHER PEOPLE'.

What is up with his accent? I can't place it.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

What is up with his accent? I can't place it.

It feels like 'Cali-Dude'

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lord help me.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

chitoryu12 posted:

Lord help me.

Whose ration is that? MiG?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

xthetenth posted:

Whose ration is that? MiG?

I’m using it to make the torpedo juice. I’ll probably also take a shot straight to simulate drinking the grain alcohol coolant like a Soviet pilot.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

chitoryu12 posted:

I’m using it to make the torpedo juice. I’ll probably also take a shot straight to simulate drinking the grain alcohol coolant like a Soviet pilot.

That one's easy. It tastes like fire.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

For maximum authenticity get some rear end in a top hat to shout at you from behind while you watch Richard Spencer getting punched in loop.:smugissar:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

I still can't figure out how filtering it through bread was supposed to remove methanol.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
It probably didn't and was just a thing they told themselves to mentally justify drinking poison for fun

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Grandpa meet up with the Soviets at the Elbe. He said that they had some blue alcohol that got him really really drunk and he didn't remember anything much after the booze came out.

Nowadays I'd imagine windshield fluid but what would that have been back then? Coolant of some sort?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Da comrade american, is coolant in bottle. But drink? Is make you warm.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Missing Name posted:

Grandpa meet up with the Soviets at the Elbe. He said that they had some blue alcohol that got him really really drunk and he didn't remember anything much after the booze came out.

Nowadays I'd imagine windshield fluid but what would that have been back then? Coolant of some sort?

Maybe ethylene glycol.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Could also be something like gletschereis?

That's not the exact bottle I'm thinking of but it's 50% ABV, so it'd do the trick.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
InRange TV decided to review the Russian 24 Hour Meal. Karl and Ian are really cool dudes and their reactions are pretty entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6R8848va00

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

For breakfast, I had coffee, ham, and stale bread.

Am I a civil war soldier, or a sad, sad bachelor?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

MrYenko posted:

For breakfast, I had coffee, ham, and stale bread.

Am I a civil war soldier, or a sad, sad bachelor?

If you had one of the three, then civil war solider. If you had all three, you were an officer.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I made hardtack, salt pork beans, and cowboy coffee for my class a couple years back during the Civil War unit. They actually liked all of it so I feel like I failed at making authentic Civil War rations.

I made too much hardtack and kept some of it for six months to feed the next class, that was a little better. I suppose I should bake more now for my class in a couple months.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

I made hardtack, salt pork beans, and cowboy coffee for my class a couple years back during the Civil War unit. They actually liked all of it so I feel like I failed at making authentic Civil War rations.

I made too much hardtack and kept some of it for six months to feed the next class, that was a little better. I suppose I should bake more now for my class in a couple months.

Add more weevils and make the coffee at least partially from burnt acorns, chicory, and/or snuff.

Also, I have acquired the 190-proof Everclear necessary for torpedo juice. Beware.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grand Fromage posted:

One of my teachers did the first paragraph for us with identical results.

The logical conclusion is that there should have been (more, edit: and younger) child soldiers in the War of Southern Treason.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 30, 2017

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I have acquired the 190-proof Everclear necessary for torpedo juice. Beware.

95% ethanol...nectar of the gods that dwell in flaming dumpsters

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mmmm everclear...clearest of the clear liquors...what’s that? You want me to drink you?? But I’m in the middle of a trial

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

The trick to replicating the Civil War dining experience is to eat strictly only that stuff but just once a day every day four three or four years and to occasionally eat it either rancid or with worms

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Mmmm everclear...clearest of the clear liquors...what’s that? You want me to drink you?? But I’m in the middle of a trial

Did you make this up yourself or did someone make a biopic of my life

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did you make this up yourself or did someone make a biopic of my life

Lionel Hutz

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Goes great with this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2yOd_fMal4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I made a hot toddy of brandy and tea last night to help with my illness and the only tea I had left was unused Russian ration tea. I feel like this says something about me.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

And that actually reads like a letter from the trenches.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

chitoryu12 posted:

I made a hot toddy of brandy and tea last night to help with my illness and the only tea I had left was unused Russian ration tea. I feel like this says something about me.

Commiserations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Commiserations.

Commissar rations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Commissar rations?

Commissar rations are probably better than the muck you get in the IRP.

• Locked thread