Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bamboozled really was ahead of its time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What skit was it?

It was the one where Dave is on the plane and he's offered fried chicken as a meal. Then Dave doing a Steppin Fetchit impersonation appears on his shoulder telling to calm down and enjoy them good eats.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Norm MacDonald had a funny bit about Cosby in Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljaP2etvDc4

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Tangentially related, but Harper's are currently writing a piece that's about the expose the author of the 'lovely Media Men' list, which is a fairly terrible thing to do. It was never meant to be shared or made public but someone did, and I think it's irresponsible to doxx someone like that.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was the one where Dave is on the plane and he's offered fried chicken as a meal. Then Dave doing a Steppin Fetchit impersonation appears on his shoulder telling to calm down and enjoy them good eats.

it's this one:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/s191yw/chappelle-s-show-stereotype-pixies---black-pixie---uncensored

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stan Lee is a gross old man in a surprise to absolutely no one.

https://twitter.com/NancyGrace/status/950779079598530565?s=17

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Burn it all down

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

That was a huge open secret though right? Or am I thinking of gene roddenberry

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Urrggghh.

Christopher Plummer gonna be reshooting a lot of poo poo for the MCU anniversary boxset I guess.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Russell Simmons 2 More Rape Accusers File Police Reports
http://www.tmz.com/2018/01/09/russell-simmons-rape-accusers-police-reports-nypd-investigates/

French star Deneuve defends men's 'right' to chat up women
https://www.afp.com/en/news/206/french-star-deneuve-defends-mens-right-chat-women-doc-w392z1

Rhyno posted:

Thanos is real and he now must destroy planet Earth.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Curse him and his ever lovin thing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fart City posted:

Urrggghh.

Christopher Plummer gonna be reshooting a lot of poo poo for the MCU anniversary boxset I guess.

I laughed a fair bit too hard at this.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Rhyno posted:

Disclaimer: the original source for this report when you click on the link is the Daily Mail. That's still considered the absolute worst tier of "news" outlets isn't it?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

ihatepants posted:

Disclaimer: the original source for this report when you click on the link is the Daily Mail. That's still considered the absolute worst tier of "news" outlets isn't it?

Yep, them and the Sun are trash tier, but is Nancy Grace that much better?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ihatepants posted:

Dude, this'd be worth shitcanning Stan Lee over if it were loving Breitbart. Sexual abuse is unacceptable no matter who's reporting on it.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
It’s pretty clear that Stan Lee has had severe dementia for about ten, fifteen years now.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

bad day posted:

It’s pretty clear that Stan Lee has had severe dementia for about ten, fifteen years now.

If this isn't a bullshit post facto excuse, then that just means that this falls on his handlers for not keeping him somewhere where he can't harm himself or others.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

21 Muns posted:

Dude, this'd be worth shitcanning Stan Lee over if it were loving Breitbart. Sexual abuse is unacceptable no matter who's reporting on it.

Who is reporting it or not has an impact on the credibility of the report.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
After seeing what Ridley Scott pulled off in All the Money in the World imagine how many Stan Lee cameos Christopher Plummer will be able to do.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

21 Muns posted:

If this isn't a bullshit post facto excuse, then that just means that this falls on his handlers for not keeping him somewhere where he can't harm himself or others.

This is honestly part of the job when you're working with geriatrics. When someone has dementia, their judgement and inhibition can be seriously impaired, while aggression and impulsiveness increase. You see people be kind and thoughtful one minute, and then do and say the most vile things you can think of the next. It's not because they believe those things or would even think of doing them if they weren't impaired, it's just that their brains are literally breaking down and dying. Work in an Alzheimer's ward of a hospital long enough and you will see people masturbate in front of you, smear feces on you or on themselves, and have you and your coworkers be called every insult, epithet, and racial slur imaginable. It's not because the patients are deviants or bad people.

You talk about his "handlers"; what exactly do you think someone's nurses and home care attendants are? Obviously those people should get as much professional support as possible and nobody has to work in a situation that makes them feel unsafe, but if a family has a member who has dementia and whose behavior is becoming sexually aggressive, the solution isn't to get less caretaking help.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 10, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Stan Lee's dick hasn't worked for 20 years

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

21 Muns posted:

Sexual abuse is unacceptable, but when the only source is the Daily Mail, you don't even need to do any critical thinking to cast doubt on the story. They're even more well known than Breitbart for just outright making poo poo up over the years and spreading misinformation. Like the time they blamed autism on the fact that women have started to work and they argued that women should quit their jobs because of it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ihatepants posted:

Sexual abuse is unacceptable, but when the only source is the Daily Mail, you don't even need to do any critical thinking to cast doubt on the story. They're even more well known than Breitbart for just outright making poo poo up over the years and spreading misinformation. Like the time they blamed autism on the fact that women have started to work and they argued that women should quit their jobs because of it.

I Believe All Newspapers

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Other outlets are picking this up, but still citing the Daily Mail as the source.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/09/marvel-creator-stan-lee-accused-of-groping-harassing-nurses/

Also, Stan Lee's people have already responded:

quote:

“We are not aware of anyone filing a civil action, or reporting these issues to the police, which for any genuine claim would be the more appropriate way for it to be handled. Instead, Mr. Lee has received demands to pay money and threats that if he does not do so, the accuser will go to the media. Mr. Lee will not be extorted or blackmailed, and will pay no money to anyone because he has done absolutely nothing wrong.”

If this is corroborated, good lord will Marvel be in a tight spot.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Capn Jobe posted:

If this is corroborated, good lord will Marvel be in a tight spot.

I mean not really. Just publicly cut ties with him, remove his scenes from upcoming films and continue to send him royalty checks as required.

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 10, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, if it turns out to be true I think Marvel says "Its tragic that we had to put Grandpa in a home and we're really sorry he keeps harassing the nurses but hes not the guy we knew."

I don't know. I'll fully admit that I have child hood attachments to Stan Lee that cloud my opinion but even if this story is true (and I highly question the source) "95 year old man walks around naked and grabs the nurses who care for him" plays differently to me than this other stuff. You know what I mean?

I mean, its sad to think Stan Lee might be a demented, doddering old perv who grabs asses of nurses when they clean up him making GBS threads his pants. But its not exactly a Weinstein situation, is it?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

21 Muns posted:

It was clear to me watching that Who Wants To Be A Superhero show that NOBODY was at the wheel there and Stan had gone completely nutso (which I believe is a technical medical term). But looking at his career you can see its progression and how every attempt to revive him as a creator has resulted in batshit insane late unreadable garbage since the late 90’s.

Making him the kind of grand-uncle figurehead of Marvel and giving him cameos in movies and voiceover in video games is really the only thing he can do. Stan Lee has nothing to do with any financial or creative decisions at Marvel or its parent company.

And it’s been this way for a LONG time. 20 years at least.

I don’t really like Stan Lee so it’s absurd to say I’m defending him but the guy has been notably batshit insane for quite some time. I do not doubt that he tries to molest his nurses. He’s a grabby handsy horny old man who’s lost his mind and thinks he’s the King of Earth but everyone keeps humoring him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lee has no actual position at Marvel so they can easily cut all ties with him.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Lee’s wife also died in July of last year. They’d been married since the late 40’s. Its possible that kind of shock, combined with his age, could result in a kind of quick degradation of the mind. To be clear, if these reports are true I’m suggesting this as a possible reason for his actions, not an excuse. But time will ultimately tell on the validity of the allegations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

this isn't exactly about sexual assault but it has to do with a movie that's been talked about in this thread as well as the hollywood wage gap

https://twitter.com/kentremendous/status/950913573735116801

lesson to learn here: Marc Wahlberg is still terrible

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Who is reporting it or not has an impact on the credibility of the report.

Progressive people really do need to stop giving clicks to the Mail, though. They're a vile organization and I don't get why people don't know that.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Also, Michael Douglas is trying to get ahead of his accusers by denying them before they are public.

quote:

DEADLINE: Why are you coming forward before an expose story that may or may not surface, when your preemptive move will draw attention and create controversy all its own?

DOUGLAS: I felt the need to get ahead of this. It pertains to me but I’m also getting a sense of how it reflects in our culture, and what is going on today. I see it as a cautionary tale. Right before the holidays in December, the day my son got early acceptance to the college he wants to go to, when we were all ecstatic, I got a message from my attorney that The Hollywood Reporter wanted to do a story about an employee that worked for me approximately 32 years ago. She claims that, One, I used colorful language in front of her, not at her, but that I used colorful language. Two, she claims that in conversations I had in front of her, on the phone, that I spoke raunchily, or dirtily with friends of mine, in private conversations. I fired her eventually, for the work she was doing, but Three, she claims that I blackballed her from the industry and stopped her form getting another job.

And then, Four, she claims that I masturbated in front of her. My attorney was asked, ‘do I have any comment?’ I said, yeah, let me speak to the reporter. I tried to think to reach back thirty plus years to try to remember. I remembered this woman: sophisticated intelligent, good sense of humor. A novelist, who has written books and published novels and was an active feminist, and proud of it. My head was reeling. I just couldn’t put this together. I’ve had no contact with her, in thirty-plus years. I talked to the reporter and said, ‘listen, as far as using colorful language in front her, I apologize. None of it was directed at her; she didn’t say it was. It was my office and that was the tone that I set and as far as conversations with friends.’ I work out of my house, my apartment in New York at the time, to the best of my recollection. As to colorful language, she may have overheard private conversations, and if she was offended, she could have excused herself. As far as blackballing her, that was completely untrue. She was a lady who was involved in development at my company, and we just didn’t have a good development record in the time she was there, so I just moved on. I never blackballed her. If people from the industry called me to ask about her, I would have been honest, but I never blackballed her.

Finally, masturbating in front of her? I don’t know where to begin. This is a complete lie, fabrication, no truth to it whatsoever.
The reporter told me, ‘she did say that you never harassed her, never touched her,’ and I said…okay. So I didn’t know where this comes from. The reporter said, ‘let me digest this, and we’ll sit on it over the holidays and get back into it after.’ My family had a lovely holiday, we came back and literally on the day of my arrival, The Hollywood Reporter got in touch with me and said, she’s running around, possibly trying to give this story to other people, so we’re going to run with it. I said, I don’t think that’s justification, just because you might get scooped, to run a story like this. My attorney did say they had been approached by Variety or somebody else, asking if there was anything going on.

I was floored. I didn’t know what to say and I tried to digest it. The accusations are minimal, except of course for the idea of masturbating in front of her. She supposedly had three friends who would back her up, that she had mentioned this to. I pride myself of being so supportive of the women’s movement. My mother was an actress, and I myself married to an actress and have been supportive of this movement wholeheartedly, through all my years. I was forced to look over my past. I’ve had up to 20 female executives who worked at my company in different areas over the years. Over 20 producers I partnered with on pictures have been women. Not to mention all the actresses I’ve worked with and the hundreds of performers. How am I, in a 50 year career in this industry, dealing with an employee 33 years ago who perhaps is disgruntled that I let her go, even though I have never heard from her in 32 years. And a legitimate trade publication is going to try and print this story? There is no corroboration, just that they found out somebody else might run the story.

DEADLINE: Clearly, the most serious thing being alleged is that you masturbated in front of a woman who worked for your company. You deny it. It doesn’t sound like there are other witnesses who observed it?

DOUGLAS: Correct.

DEADLINE: Just to be completely clear here. Are you saying that you never harassed this woman, or anyone else, in such a salacious manner as she has alleged to a journalist?

DOUGLAS: Absolutely; that’s exactly what I am saying.

DEADLINE: It almost seems like those man in jeopardy movies you used to make in the ‘80s. What’s it feel like to be targeted, based on someone making an allegation, and if a journalist can find several friends of hers who say she mentioned it to them, that is the bar for publication?

DOUGLAS: It’s extremely painful. I pride myself on my reputation in this business, not to mention the long history of my father and everything else. I don’t have skeletons in my closet, or anyone else who’s coming out or saying this. I’m bewildered why, after 32 years, this is coming out, now. As I say, I will fess up to colorful language, but the issue of masturbating in front of her? That rung is something I’ve only heard about the last year. It’s not an expression that related to the ‘80s. So I thought it stunk. And I tried to figure out, why the hell would somebody do this? The part that hurt the worst is having to share something like this to your wife and your children. My kids are really upset, has to go to school worrying this is going to be in some article about me, being a sexual harasser. They’re scared and very uncomfortable.

My wife has a long career, and as a woman, she has been very supportive. So what is this? The woman, it turns out, is a blogger. We’ve had to do some quick research, and she has mentioned my name sometimes in her blogs. Nothing terrible. It leads me to believe she either has or is trying to get a book deal. I can’t believe that someone would cause someone else pain like this. Maybe she is disgruntled her career didn’t go the way she hoped and she is holding this grudge. It has caused tremendous stress to me for something I believe I have nothing to regret or feel responsible for.

I’m certainly regretful if she was offended by the language in the ‘80s, but this other thing, she would not be getting a story in a trade paper with these other issues. The one that she raises, is the reason for that story.

[...]

I bolded the line I found most... uh... stupid I guess?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's the opposite of being shocked? That's how I feel hearing that Douglas is also a sex pest.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I seem to remember he was claiming to be a sex addict all the way back in the 80s. He was very ahead of the curve.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I could believe that Michael Douglas is basically his character from Basic Instinct, except an actor instead of a cop.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

I seem to remember he was claiming to be a sex addict all the way back in the 80s. He was very ahead of the curve.

he also claimed that he got throat cancer from eating pussy

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

he also claimed that he got throat cancer from eating pussy

Which was technically correct. It's just that the booze & smoking are likely what exacerbated the problem.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DC Murderverse posted:

this isn't exactly about sexual assault but it has to do with a movie that's been talked about in this thread as well as the hollywood wage gap

https://twitter.com/kentremendous/status/950913573735116801

lesson to learn here: Marc Wahlberg is still terrible

If you get called in to do work being your contact, you should get paid for it. It's not Wahlverf's fault Williams agent is dumb

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If you get called in to do work being your contact, you should get paid for it. It's not Wahlverf's fault Williams agent is dumb
I do agree, people can spin the "she did for free FOR THE CAUSE" all they want, she should have asked to get paid for her job which in this case was fixing the company's mistake (hiring Spacey) and then she could have given the money to charities. I don't think the gender pay gap will ever been fixed by women generously doing free work to fix some suit mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wahlberg and Williams are represented by the same agency