Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Junji Ito is the world's #1 horror comics bro. He has a new anime made by DEEN and it's good. It's mostly his short one shot manga chapters (which to be fair is most of his output). It's on Crunchyroll. Please watch the good show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRUKmuYMAww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i watched it

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

thank you

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I'm interested but already know I'm probably only going to watch the episodes adapting the short stories I like.

That said episode 1 was a pass for me.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
I kept hearing about episode one being kind of a stinker and I definitely saw why last night- Souichi sucks rear end and everyone knows it.

That being said, as short as the second one was it gave me higher hopes for more unsettling creep-outs in later eps.
Fingers crossed.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Souichi is my favorite Junji Ito character

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've heard the Tomie stuff is going to be a OVA release, and if that's true wtf, and also Crunchyroll had better license it

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It was pretty entertaining to see him get clowned on

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I thought it was funny seeing Ito's usual horror elements used as petty pranks. The best part was when it turned out that his last "curse" literally consisted of a black suit and stilts. For that matter, I also wouldn't mind seeing an adaptation of Cat Diary.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I've heard the Tomie stuff is going to be a OVA release, and if that's true wtf, and also Crunchyroll had better license it

Tomie really doesn't seem like something you should do a direct adaptation of. It's just way too repetitive.

And More fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 9, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

As long as this season includes Glyceride, it will have been worth it.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I hope they do the cat stuff.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Shadowhand00 posted:

I hope they do the cat stuff.

This and the mountain one are the once I most want to be in here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they can't do cat diary. cat diary in the same season as pop team epic would destroy the earth.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they can't do cat diary. cat diary in the same season as pop team epic would destroy the earth.

I'll die happy.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Smoking Crow posted:

Souichi is my favorite Junji Ito character

The best Souichi story is the one where he's an adult and it ends with his monster wife abducting him.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That's sounds fun, I want to see that story

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Miss Fuchi rules and is my favorite part of the Souichi stuff

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Souichi wasn't very good but the Doll one was pretty creepy, especially for a full 1 minute bit.

If they do The Enigma of Amigara Fault I'm not watching it :colbert:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Why not? Your avatar did.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

GodFish posted:

Souichi wasn't very good but the Doll one was pretty creepy, especially for a full 1 minute bit.

If they do The Enigma of Amigara Fault I'm not watching it :colbert:

If they don't this the Anthology shouldn't exist.

Side note, I showed that one to my sister without context and I think I gave her nightmares.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Haven't watched this and it's been a while since i read Ito, is Souichi the nail boy?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yes

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this show's intro is cool as heck

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Did South Park reference Fuchin with their Sarah Jessica Parker episode?

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
The Long Dream adaptation was fantastic. Still the scariest story Junji Ito has done.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

that's one hell of a doctor

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He's a loose cannon but he gets results!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The first story was comicly terrible. Almost impressively so.

The second story was great though. Some drat good existential creepiness mixed with some drat good Ito-esque visuals. That's what I've been hoping for out of this.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I think the creepiness of the model sort of worked for me, since that bizarre figure is unsettling. In the end, it didn't really work though. The artwork kind of undersells it most of the time.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

ViggyNash posted:

The first story was comicly terrible. Almost impressively so.

The second story was great though. Some drat good existential creepiness mixed with some drat good Ito-esque visuals. That's what I've been hoping for out of this.

The setup was really good for the first story. It's this really awkward situation where you are fairly sure some person is a monster, but you don't really want to bring it up. I've had dreams like that. The second part of the story is really lame, though. Like something from Yamishibai.

The second story didn't really get enough into what the dreams were like. Dreaming your life doesn't actually seem all that terrifying to me. What was that guy's problem? :shrug:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
in the original story, they said that the dreams also include nightmares.

the animations looks really stiff? it's weird.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tired Moritz posted:

in the original story, they said that the dreams also include nightmares.

the animations looks really stiff? it's weird.

He also said something to that effect in the episode, but seeing as he married that one girl, surely the dreams can't be all that bad. It also seems like lucid dreaming would have been a simple solution to that specific issue. Maybe my nightmares just aren't scary enough or something.

Yeah, it was particularly obvious in the Fashion Model segment when everyone started running. They don't seem to have a very big budget. It's a bit weird that it's showing already considering the stories haven't required a lot of fancy animation so far.

And More fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 14, 2018

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I have a terrible eye for animation and even I noticed when the model is chasing the guy through the forest they just slid her in a straight line with some trees and junk over her legs so you couldn't see they didn't animate her legs moving

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It's honestly a little distracting, and it kind of takes away from the atmosphere a bit.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

GodFish posted:

I have a terrible eye for animation and even I noticed when the model is chasing the guy through the forest they just slid her in a straight line with some trees and junk over her legs so you couldn't see they didn't animate her legs moving

Yeah, this show has some horribly low standards. I'm hoping at least some of the stories are good if only because they managed not to gently caress it up.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah, this show has some horribly low standards. I'm hoping at least some of the stories are good if only because they managed not to gently caress it up.

They're saving all the budget for Glyceride. :unsmigghh:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
What is it with the second short always being shorter but somehow better?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the third episode was pretty good. both stories managed to pull off their own brand of creepiness in a way.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Is there going to be a dub of this?

Loving it but I want to introduce something like this to friends and they hate reading subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Funimation put out a dub of the first episode like really recently.

https://www.funimation.com/shows/junji-ito-collection/

• Locked thread