Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Something that's been bugging me about that idiotic Kree slave trade scheme is that uninhibiting Daisy is kind of a bold move, considering she has the reputation for breaking a whole goddamn planet. With what the possibility of breaking the station.

presumably if she started to shake the station apart they'd just disable her powers before too much damage happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Something that's been bugging me about that idiotic Kree slave trade scheme is that uninhibiting Daisy is kind of a bold move, considering she has the reputation for breaking a whole goddamn planet. With what the possibility of breaking the station.

She probably doesn't want to wipe out humanity and kill herself in the process. Or as Cassius' brother showed us, just hit the inhibitor button.

And speaking of the humans, the next episode better open with Cassius threatening to kill a bunch of humans every hour until they turn themselves in.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And speaking of the humans, the next episode better open with Cassius threatening to kill a bunch of humans every hour until they turn themselves in.

Didn't you learn anything? He doesn't have to threat anyone. The humans will simply kill each other if he demands it.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

Bonus:
Low-hanging fruit, but I feel bad for making this.
https://gifsound.com/?gifv=mA4lPSP&v=0OR9C5PZNaU

gently caress you.

That's amazing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

quote:

[video=https://i.imgur.com/AdTr54j.mp4]

My favorite part of this is the initial slow motion that makes you think OH NO SOMEONE'S ABOUT TO EAT IT BECAUSE THEY FORGOT ABOUT oh okay that works too Fitz.

e: Also Jemma's proud I FOUND A WEAPON :buddy: as she holds up a butter knife. lol

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RareAcumen posted:

Tess, and they discovered that she'd been killed by walking into a room with her strung up and stabbed already.

Yea somehow i completely missed that happened.

Its too bad they didn't have Daisy just shatter Julie Mao's balls.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Daisy can't go nuts with her power until she has the special wrist guards. THEN poo poo will get real.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Hey y'all.

CBR taking about Graviton as Destroyer of Worlds instead of Daisy.
https://www.cbr.com/agents-of-shield-graviton-earth-destruction/

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Aleph Null posted:

Hey y'all.

I mean, it IS the next logical step from Quake. At least they would be FINALLY doing something with Graviton.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That.... makes a lot of sense actually

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Graviton is never going to happen.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Ojjeorago posted:

Graviton is never going to happen.

Let me tell you about a poster named Barry Convex. He said some things, back in season one. Things about SHIELD.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Inhumans will never be part of this show.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

And by that I mean Marvels Inhumans, because Jesus loving Christ

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Actually, the world got blown up because Black Bolt sneezed.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

It's not Graviton. It's May after she smashes Fitz into the ground as she says "Has been, huh?"

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

Actually, the world got blown up because Black Bolt sneezed.

Blacktagonal Boltagon, white guy

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

R-Type posted:

Blacktagonal Boltagon, white guy

And he's an unpowered person playing the role of a powered minority. Hollywood is hosed up.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Let me tell you about a poster named Barry Convex. He said some things, back in season one. Things about SHIELD.

lol hi

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Speaking of which it should be just about time for the annual announcement of impending cancellation

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Speaking of which it should be just about time for the annual announcement of impending cancellation

To be fair, the Network tried to cancel it last year. They just weren't allowed -- by any of the usual standards, the show would be very dead by now.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aleph Null posted:

Hey y'all.

I really hope that's the case. I'd forgotten about Graviton.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Combat Pretzel posted:

My bigger issue is that they have a dude that can instantly read all the Kree minds in the room and they put him in a fighting pit.

Like, surely they'd be smart enough to realize at the minimum he'd belong on like a starship bridge you'd think.

Open Source Idiom posted:

To be fair, the Network tried to cancel it last year. They just weren't allowed -- by any of the usual standards, the show would be very dead by now.

The last official quote sounds fairly Shield-positive, actually, the network talking about how it's the strongest written it's ever been which is true, while very much turning the gun at Inhumans as it will be definitely iced. I'm thinking it might squeak through for 6 seasons, 6 being that nice, good round ending point number for many shows. Going 6 seasons is kind of the "We made it" landmark.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

To be fair I almost quit season 1 as the episode where Ward just waltzed up to an Asgardian with no helmet on after being told not to do that, then got into some sappy three-way love triangle. I was like "Yep this show is poo poo."

I only turned back on because of Winter Soldier and in hindsight that episode makes so, so much more sense on every level now. The rare case of out of character stupidity being clever in hindsight.

ED: Season 1 Daisy was terrible too

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Season 1 Daisy was terrible too

Skye

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I talked mad poo poo about AOS when it first came out, on these very forums too. And now I follow their twitter shenanigans and feel real life pain for the best relationship in media.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I talked mad poo poo about AOS when it first came out, on these very forums too. And now I follow their twitter shenanigans and feel real life pain for the best relationship in media.

Bobby and Hunter?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Season 1 was great, and anyone who says otherwise is full of poo poo. There have been no bad episodes of this show.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Supergirl and ice cream?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Bobby and Hunter?

Hunter is what won me over, I didn't even like Bobbi at first!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

Bobby and Hunter?

Noo!! That is the spy version of Ross and Rachel

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 10, 2018

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kheldarn posted:

Season 1 was great, and anyone who says otherwise is full of poo poo. There have been no bad episodes of this show.

BSam is that you?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Speaking of season 1, Fitz and Simmons are totally going to hyphenate their last names to bring that joke full circle, right?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

bio347 posted:

Speaking of season 1, Fitz and Simmons are totally going to hyphenate their last names to bring that joke full circle, right?

Gemma Fitz-Simmons and Simmons Fitz-Gemma?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It's not entirely like we were wrong.

A lot of what they were setting up was a pretty average mission-of-the-week thing where the good guys always do super good things like catapulting the awesome technology into the sun rather than use it, which was kinda silly.

It looked like we had two of every character: Fitz and Simmons seemed interchangeable, Ward and May were both "badass person," and Ward seemed like boring milk toast.

I really believe that was on purpose, to really smash the status quo when the time came, and it did that very well - but it doesn't change the fact that it's a very hard like 16 episodes to get through when you're not sure there's ever going to be a pay-off to anything. I mean the show felt like it was super light fluff with well done action, like a modern A-Team, for a while.

It's a very different show now. In hindsight I think that several groaner season 1 episodes are much better with perspective in hindsight than they seemed on first viewing.

Almost NO show that seems that middle of the road ever has a plan, but almost no show just gets better every single season. I was worried about the space season and now it's up there with my favorites.

ED: That season really hurt the show in general, badly and forever, though. Everyone thinks it's the safe milk toast show where everyone gets along and they solve mission of the week adventures that only saw that first season and thus have forever labeled it as lame, even though to be honest Shield is WAY THE gently caress better than Daredevil's 2nd season and honestly it's easily able to hold it's own with the best of the Netflix stuff now.

It's also way better than it's genre. To be honest, and this might sound like insane praise but I think the character arcs and the consistency of the character writing here is 2nd only to the likes of Breaking Bad. I'm watching some other shows right now where that is just painful, like Walking Dead where personalities are decided by roulette wheel episode to episode, so maybe I'm too kind but quite honestly these are some of the most consistent and interestingly evolving characters I've seen on a show. They are all very, very different people than when the show started and I feel it's earned across the board.

Kheldarn posted:

I don't know. There were frequent groaners and some eye rolls up here until the Winter Soldier arc kicked into gear and everyone went "Ohhhhhhhh" that stuck around.

A lot of plot arcs seemed loving lame to the point of absurdity like the Ward-Skye-May triangle. Like really, really loving lame. In hindsight this was actually awesome since the whole thing was a psychotic spy lulling his worst enemy, and he wasn't into Skye because they'd be a nice TV couple but because he's an obsessed sociopath. I don't think I've ever seen a show drop reveals that not just make plot points you liked come together, but to suddenly reverse a bunch of bad episodes into good ones, if you have the foreknowledge.

Still a bad move for ratings, sadly.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 10, 2018

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

I toxxed for it last time, only one of the naysayers took me on. (and not one of the stupid ones)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Season 1 was poo poo-awful when it aired up until Winter Soldier, when it immediately grew its beard by revealing that it had actually had one the whole time.

But going back and rewatching now that I know and like the characters and understand them and they're my TV buddies, Season 1 is just fine. It just didn't give us a lot to chew on at first and that amazingly terrible second episode was really offputting.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

Season 1 was poo poo-awful when it aired up until Winter Soldier, when it immediately grew its beard by revealing that it had actually had one the whole time.

But going back and rewatching now that I know and like the characters and understand them and they're my TV buddies, Season 1 is just fine. It just didn't give us a lot to chew on at first and that amazingly terrible second episode was really offputting.

Yeah pretty much identical to how I feel. Season 1 is much, much better on a re-watch than it is the first time. Unfortunately for ratings, the first time is what matters.

I remember us tearing Clark Gregg a new rear end in a top hat when he was trying to defend Season 1 as setup with some line about there being desert at the end, a lot of people saying he was nuts if he thought that. In hindsight I also totally get what he was saying and the frustration of getting utterly savaged by viewers knowing what was around the corner.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I never really thought season 1 was bad. I rolled my eyes a bit while I watched the first episode, because it literally smelled of whedon, but other than that it was mostly just an average TV show as opposed to a bad one.

Probably helped that I binge watched it after season 2 had started instead of watching it weekly and shitposting on SA about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I still think Fringe is peak Genre show.

But AOS is in the same conversation now at least.