Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

pahuyuth posted:

lawd have mercy that looks divine

I'm especially interested in the eggplant zucchini stew and za'atar flatbread. Can you share the recipes for those?
Here's the eggplant stew. This is the flatbread basically although I don't really measure things precisely.

IBroughttheFunk posted:

If it's okay, I'd like to request a few recipes from your latest selection too, Tycho. How do you prepare your spicy noodles, and what's the recipe for your garlic sauce?
Here's the noodles. The garlic sauce is just this thing although I leave out the sugar.

Colonel J posted:

Holy crap do you eat like that everyday??
Depends on the day, but generally yeah more or less. A lot of these things can either be made in bulk (all those stews, for instance, can last a week or more if you're cooking for one, which I usually am) or are extremely fast to make (the broccoli probably takes about 15 minutes, the spicy noodles take however long the pasta takes to boil, etc.). I like cooking and I like saving money, so I basically never buy prepared food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Thanks. I've done missir wat before a few times but now I'm going to look up yetakelt wet, plus also mograbieh.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Dino's rad lemon rice (slightly burnt spices, I've never done it properly like that) with garlic and sesame veges and lentils.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Gorgeous! I think pretty much everyone burns spices the first time through if they haven't grown up watching people cook 'em.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Made this the other day and it was sublime. I can't figure out why this was as good as it was. I make curry a lot, and comparatively it's such a simple dish.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/curried-lentil-tomato-and-coconut-soup

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Made some chickpea curry and bulgur today. I got it in under an hour, thanks to my trusty old Presto pressure cooker. The chickpeas had bad QA. Lots of messed up ones. Then after soaking there were a bunch with dark spots on them, which I've never seen before.

I put a little tamarind in it, about as much as I could squeeze out of 3 pods. Maybe not enough.

I used fine Bulgur since you can cook it just like couscous.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Depends on the day, but generally yeah more or less. A lot of these things can either be made in bulk (all those stews, for instance, can last a week or more if you're cooking for one, which I usually am) or are extremely fast to make (the broccoli probably takes about 15 minutes, the spicy noodles take however long the pasta takes to boil, etc.). I like cooking and I like saving money, so I basically never buy prepared food.

I'm impressed. I like all this stuff as well but I'm not very imaginative and tend to make the same stuff over and over. I think I'll start aping your stuff.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Colonel J posted:

I'm impressed. I like all this stuff as well but I'm not very imaginative and tend to make the same stuff over and over. I think I'll start aping your stuff.
Well I make the same stuff over and over again too, I just don't take more than one picture.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Another food dump:

Breakfast - ful medames and harcha, which is a Moroccan flatbread made from semolina, salt, and water.

Stir-fried you choy / choy sum (two names for the same thing? I don't speak Chinese).

Another breakfast - congee.

Samosas with tamarind chutney.

Looks like chicken, right? Or at least fake chicken - both verboten in this thread. But no, I bought a bunch of different tofus at the Chinese market the last time I went shopping and I've been trying them out. This is stir-fried fried tofu.

Stir-fried sweet potatoes and "spiced" tofu which is actually just as flavorless as normal, but it has a very nice texture.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Whats your go-to method for sweet potatoes? I find them hard to get right .

Tactical Shitpost
Jun 13, 2016
"Taco" cups:
- webm: https://i.imgur.com/0O6EPrn.gifv
- text: http://www.wearesovegan.com/taco-cups/

Didn't really care much about the vegan side, just wanted to test out a sufficiently easy "party" food before doing a thing next week.

While making them i noticed i actually ran out of some spices, so instead of what's on the recipe I've used caraway, basil, chilli, turmeric and ginger (all already powdered, 1/2 tbsp each) plus 1/4 tbsp salt. Even though I've used pre-made tortillas and ditched the sour cream they turned out pretty great - super easy to make, very filling and with fantastic taste. Just don't move them too much because the tortillas have a tendency to break up.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Colonel J posted:

Whats your go-to method for sweet potatoes? I find them hard to get right .
I don't do anything special. Those were cubed and stir-fried for a few minutes. The other things I'll often do are bake them, or microwave and mash them.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Tactical Shitpost posted:

"Taco" cups:
- webm: ---
- text: http://www.wearesovegan.com/taco-cups/

Didn't really care much about the vegan side, just wanted to test out a sufficiently easy "party" food before doing a thing next week.

While making them i noticed i actually ran out of some spices, so instead of what's on the recipe I've used caraway, basil, chilli, turmeric and ginger (all already powdered, 1/2 tbsp each) plus 1/4 tbsp salt. Even though I've used pre-made tortillas and ditched the sour cream they turned out pretty great - super easy to make, very filling and with fantastic taste. Just don't move them too much because the tortillas have a tendency to break up.

You might have better luck if you heat up the tortillas a bit first (microwave shortly so they're warm). They're more pliable then. And I'd bet they'd be even better if you got some oil in the muffin pan/on the tortillas.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Somewhat affectionately known to my family as Stereotype Salad:

Mostly wombok and spring onion with delicious extras and dressing.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Has anyone tried to make Tempeh before? I want to give it a go again (first time I tried it with an alternate bean source which was probably a mistake for a first attempt).

I need a good source for the starter and a simple/cheap incubation chamber.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Eeyo posted:

Has anyone tried to make Tempeh before? I want to give it a go again (first time I tried it with an alternate bean source which was probably a mistake for a first attempt).

I need a good source for the starter and a simple/cheap incubation chamber.
No, but I'm very interested in it, so if you end up figuring it out, please document your results! I think it looked like it wouldn't be much cheaper if I made my own, so the only benefit would be taste and fun and so on, but if yours ends up cheap too, that would be great to know.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

No, but I'm very interested in it, so if you end up figuring it out, please document your results! I think it looked like it wouldn't be much cheaper if I made my own, so the only benefit would be taste and fun and so on, but if yours ends up cheap too, that would be great to know.

Is that mostly the starter? I'd think the soybeans would be dirt cheap.

You can turn the fermentation into giving you some more starter, but you have to let it run long so the mould gets to its fruiting stage. Not sure of the exact details though.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Pumpkin pizza on pesto base. Been putting pumpkin in everything lately because the local fruit market somehow is selling pumpkins for 8c/kg. They're not even bad or going bad, they're just pumpkins?

In reality it was more like a huge toasted sandwich because I haven't figured out how to do pizza dough properly. Was pretty great though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zenithe posted:

Pumpkin pizza on pesto base. Been putting pumpkin in everything lately because the local fruit market somehow is selling pumpkins for 8c/kg. They're not even bad or going bad, they're just pumpkins?

In reality it was more like a huge toasted sandwich because I haven't figured out how to do pizza dough properly. Was pretty great though.

Main thing about homemade pizza dough is that you need a pizza stone, you need to let it heat up in the oven for a hella long time, and you need to roll the dough out as thin as possible. Also, don't worry about putting your toppings or sauce in the center, it will take care of itself, worry more about the edges.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

So I made Goguma Bap, Korean sweet potato rice, which was nice in a comfort food sort of way with about as much flavour as you'd expect from two relatively bland ingredients but holy gently caress the sauce that goes with it.

1/4 cup soy
2 ts minced garlic
1 ts sugar
2 tbs toasted sesame seeds
2 tbs fried onion
2 tbs vinegar

Goddamn amazing, and I'm going to have it with everything.

Apologies for getting excited about what is probably Korean Cuisine 101.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Hi everyone, I've found a simple meal I like in the morning called toast with canned salmon salad with pickled red onions and microgreens on top. I figured I don't really need to eat canned salmon all the time, so does anyone have ideas for what I can use in its place?

Some kind of black bean mash?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Anything you want! The sky's the limit! This is explicitly not a thread for meat replacements, so you might try something like the general questions thread. If you just want a list of stuff that is good on toast, basically any spread, like hummus/baba ghanouj/bean dips/etc. are good, as are baked beans, other sorts of beans, etc.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, whatever goes with pickled onions and the greens because that's where I feel balanced and close at hand. In particular, I have many cans of black beans and was wondering if there is a hummus-like spread I can make out of them, possibly mixing up the other flavors to match, such as moving from red pickled onions to yellow, where I can involve turmeric to connect with the cumin that I would naturally put in the bean item.

Is there a recipe or keyword I should look out for if I want something like that and lasts a week in the fridge?

...as I type out the question I realize I can just Google it and it turns out the keyword is "dip." Thank you, thread, for laying the backbone on which to affix my curiosity.

Garlic, grated ginger, black beans, juice of lime, maybe some chili flakes, cumin, fried in a pan and mashed off heat. I'll try to make it and post pictures tonight!

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Stinky_Pete posted:

Yeah, whatever goes with pickled onions and the greens because that's where I feel balanced and close at hand. In particular, I have many cans of black beans and was wondering if there is a hummus-like spread I can make out of them, possibly mixing up the other flavors to match, such as moving from red pickled onions to yellow, where I can involve turmeric to connect with the cumin that I would naturally put in the bean item.

Is there a recipe or keyword I should look out for if I want something like that and lasts a week in the fridge?

...as I type out the question I realize I can just Google it and it turns out the keyword is "dip." Thank you, thread, for laying the backbone on which to affix my curiosity.

Garlic, grated ginger, black beans, juice of lime, maybe some chili flakes, cumin, fried in a pan and mashed off heat. I'll try to make it and post pictures tonight!

That sounds very good. For spreads I have been doing a simple thing by mixing kidney beans, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice, adding salt and pepper to taste once a week lately.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I used too wide a pan for the amount of beans and holy drat trying to mash it up with a fork was hell on my hands, and I'm a drat fool because I completely forgot about my immersion blender! Probably because I let my kitchen get pretty cluttered, which is also why I thought I had no cumin but it was just behind some loose onions.

I'm going to adapt the black bean soup recipe I have from Cook's Illustrated, lose the broth, and paste it all up in the pot later this week and go for a nice photo, maybe even get more of the "Chef's Micro Mix" with edible flower petals that make me feel like a luxurious elf when I top things with it.

von Braun posted:

That sounds very good. For spreads I have been doing a simple thing by mixing kidney beans, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice, adding salt and pepper to taste once a week lately.

Oh yeah I never thought about kidney beans outside the context of chili. I also have like a 3 pound bag of dry pintos that I should use at some point. Good entry point for paprika and apparently tequila!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Stinky_Pete posted:

Hi everyone, I've found a simple meal I like in the morning called toast with canned salmon salad with pickled red onions and microgreens on top. I figured I don't really need to eat canned salmon all the time, so does anyone have ideas for what I can use in its place?

Some kind of black bean mash?

A lot of people make vege patties with mashed black beans (E: or pinto beans). Some add oats, others breadcrumbs.
grated onion and carrot, with cumin, chili, mustard, ketchup, soy sauce/tamari are the usual additions (2E: grating some onion is important as it works well as a binder)

Otherwise make some hummus with chickpeas (or buy it). I like olives so I'd love to be able to buy shitloads of tapenade instead.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 19, 2018

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Grated onions?? This is madness!

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I've never heard of grated onions but it makes perfect sense

Man, I'm going to make so much bean material now, and I have room to experiment and become a beanius!

One day, we might even have 3-bean printers!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Tonight I'm making some burgs with black bean/grated potato patties, will report results. I'm hoping its like a delicious spicy hash brown.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I feel like this thread has gone off the rails in a really weird way, and I'm not even mad at it. :O

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If people could maybe start talking about bean recipes that aren't dips or burgers that would be great. Vegans don't just have to eat mush or meat replacements. Here are some things to start off with:

Frijoles negros
Lobia sabzi
Iranian baked beans with pomegranate molasses, walnuts, and chard
Börülce salatasi (Turkish black-eyed bean salad)
Dino's raajma
Classic BBQ baked beans
Prebranac (Serbian baked beans)

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
There's a really good series of vegan recipes current running on the Guardian website which are pretty much all worth a look at. I'm more or less cooking my way through them most weekends.

The New Vegan

The butternut squash and black bean mole recipe is beany, mushy and entirely awesome, but in a much better way than just being another dip. But honestly I've cooked maybe 75% of the recipes on that list now and none has been a disappointment.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
The hot minute that the weather stops being an rear end in a top hat, and I can open a window, you can bet your buttons that I'll be making bean salads for /days/. I'm partial to fava beans, cucumber, tomato, dill, lemon, and olive oil. But I also like black eyed peas, sliced green olive, hummus, cabbage (finely shredded), diced dill pickles, grated carrot, and chopped celery. SO good in a lettuce wrap. I'm a huge fan of that texas caviar stuff because it's basically opening cans and dumping it in with a few fresh ingredients. Do not forget beans in salads. They are excellent to throw into ALL the things.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I'd be interested in some bean salad recipes as it's summer here right now. I was thinking of picking up some cans of 4 bean mix or lentils as they are on sale and doing some sort of salad with them.
I've already picked up 2 cans each of black beans, kidney beans, cannelinni beans, pinto beans and chickpeas for my meals below when the weather gets cooler. The cans are half price again so works out the same as dried beans, and not having my own kitchen anymore sucks when I want to do lots of bean cooking or any stew in general. I have to share the kitchen and hardly get any time in it.

For black beans, I do something similar to the above frijoles negros. With dried beans I have read old (maybe traditional recipes) where half the trinity goes in with the unsoaked beans and they are simmered for hours. The beans absorbing some flavour, the veg turning into some sort of stock. Then the rest of the trinity and spices are sauted and added.
Can version is just saute the veg, the spices, add drained beans and cover with veg stock for 30min-1 hr

For cannellini beans I do pasta e fagioli. I've posted a non vegetarian and non vegan recipe before but I can clean it up if anyone cares.

For kidney beans I do a creole beans and rice (posted before), or skip some creole spices and sauces and up the chilli to make a "bean chili"

For chickpeas I do an Indian curry. Mustard seed, cumin seed, onion or aestofida. pumpkin or butternut, cauliflower, turmeric and garam masala or curry powder in a tomato or coconut milk sauce, optional spinach. Pro-move is roast the pumpkin with garam masala and roast the cauliflower with the turmeric before adding to the curry.

E: for pinto beans I just do a veg version of frijole charros with tomato or borrachos/drunken beans with some beer or spirits or make refried beans for wraps and salad

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 21, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Also not all beans are dried or canned. About 8 weeks ago I planted some chinese red long noodle/yardlong noodle beans and starting to get some. The seeds were 6 years old from 2 house moves before and I had no idea if they were still viable or if they would go OK in a pot. 3 out of 4 seeds germinated and started growing real quick

The beans grow about 1-2" a day. Only 1 plant got the head start on a pair of beans but others are now flowering and growing beans.
Going to make a nice veg stirfry when I get a couple more large ones and after I buy some veg and nuts.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 21, 2018

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Fo3 posted:

unsoaked beans and they are simmered for hours. The beans absorbing some flavour, the veg turning into some sort of stock. Then the rest of the trinity and spices are sauted and added.

I thought boiling unsoaked beans for hours was the quickest way to get to a real bad time?

Maybe it's soak, then boil with flavours?

e.

Definitely gonna try this, but just thought I'd double check: 6 medium sized onions?

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 21, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Nah, I've done it with pinto beans and black beans many times before, years ago
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592735&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post452059948
Heaps of people here and elsewhere have said they cook beans without soaking as well (either pressure cooker, stove top or crockpot)

I only started doing it because I read so many recipes that did it that way too. It's only kidney beans I worry about (soak and precook plain if dry)

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/soaking-salting-dried-bean-myths-article

plus whatever place that ken or something guy writes for that this forum loves.

E: serious eats and to be fair it wasn't kenji that wrote it http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/beans-legumes-pulses-varieties-recipes-cooking-tips.html but Kenji has said it too (see the LA times article later)

quote:

So I'm going dried. Do I need to soak my beans?
The idea behind soaking your beans is that an extended bath will soften the seed coat, reducing the ultimate cook time while simultaneously leaching out some of the flatulent elements in the bean (more on that in a minute). But we've found that black beans (and likely other thin-skinned beans, such as black-eyed peas, pinto beans, and lentils) can actually fare better without a soak. Unsoaked, they take only a bit longer to cook, and there's no significant impact on their, erm, digestibility.

nyt says soak or don't soak, doesn't matter
https://cooking.nytimes.com/guides/21-how-to-cook-beans

la times
http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-dont-soak-dried-beans-20140911-story.html

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 21, 2018

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zenithe posted:

Definitely gonna try this, but just thought I'd double check: 6 medium sized onions?
lol u afraid of onions????? Seriously though, you're going to be reducing them by a huge amount, you won't end up with a crazy amount of onions.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Fo3 posted:

Bean wisdom

Interesting! The one thing I thought knew about cooking dried beans is incorrect.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

lol u afraid of onions????? Seriously though, you're going to be reducing them by a huge amount, you won't end up with a crazy amount of onions.

I love me some onions, but I don't think I've ever used anywhere near that in a recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This tofu cookbook is $1.99 on Amazon.com right now for the digital version. I think that's a good price? Here are some tofu recipes to inspire you: tofu soup, fish fragrant tofu, tofu salad, mapo tofu, breakfast tofu.