Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://youtu.be/kMy1wPXvU9c

I’ve always enjoyed the loosies and covers that FIDLAR puts out, but I’m beside myself because this is one of my favorite Nirvana songs.

That's an uhh interesting choice for subliminal images

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The new Jeff Rosenstock is so good, the bookends are really cool and experimental and everything else rips

Good to have an AotY candidate this early in the year

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Six minutes of holding down two synth notes is experimental?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
ooo get em

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Don't hate on long synth outros :argh:

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

The last song is 1/4 of the album and half of it is SNES start menu music.

Rest of the album is really good.

More interesting to me than the second half of that song: was anyone else aware jeff had left side one? Any details or story on that?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GoldfishStew posted:

The last song is 1/4 of the album and half of it is SNES start menu music.

Rest of the album is really good.

More interesting to me than the second half of that song: was anyone else aware jeff had left side one? Any details or story on that?

Has he left or is this just something he isn't doing through them because I could see both of those things being true

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I mean it’s being put out by polyvinyl do artists usually sign to two labels at once? Not asking as a Dick just curious

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Well they're handling the vinyl specifically and the rest is being handled by *mumble* so I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of it was total diy stuff

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also it might be like a Fat Wreck deal where it's just an album at s time or whatever

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

New Year’s Day polyvinyl had a banner for the album on their website and S1D didn’t even tweet about it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i messaged SD1 about orders a few times on facebook and they were rude so I wouldn't be surprised if it was run by lovely people

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GoldfishStew posted:

New Year’s Day polyvinyl had a banner for the album on their website and S1D didn’t even tweet about it

https://twitter.com/sideonedummy/status/947866292513415168

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Yep that sure is a tweet promoting the new album thanks for owning me gonna go gently caress a doll.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I feel like the signed to/distributed by relationships for smaller DIY bands are always a bizarre web. I mean, Jeff still released the album on quote unquote's website too.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

That’s because he’s literally the embodiment of punk rock.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

I feel like the signed to/distributed by relationships for smaller DIY bands are always a bizarre web. I mean, Jeff still released the album on quote unquote's website too.

He did that with his S1D albums, too. I suspect this is what happened: S1D saw the kind of business Worry. did in terms of acclaim and sales and said after his deal ran out (I think he might have had a 2 album deal with S1D) that if he could find a company with better national distribution, do so. Sometimes indies are run by folks with a sense of realism.

I'm putting forth this idea with the assumption that Polyvinyl has a relationship with a larger label, like a lot of indies do (which sorta means they aren't really indies).

bowmore posted:

i messaged SD1 about orders a few times on facebook and they were rude so I wouldn't be surprised if it was run by lovely people

I found quite the opposite but it might have been a case of turnover changing who was in charge of such things

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
S1D just laid off some of their publicists so clearly they're going through some kind of change

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

GoldfishStew posted:

Yep that sure is a tweet promoting the new album thanks for owning me gonna go gently caress a doll.

lol

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
wheres the best place to get a good list of all 2017 punk/hardcore/emo that were cool and good

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://www.allmusic.com/year-in-review/2017/favorite-punk

Here's one to start. That AFI record seemed to turn up on a bunch of lists, so I might have to give it a whirl. Not really cared that much since (the amazing) The Art of Drowning, but maybe I'll super dig it. I think I read more comparisons to Decemberunderground though which was only OK.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
This list is not strictly punk/hardcore/emo, but I found a bunch of albums I enjoyed via it: http://www.getalternative.com/alternatives-top-50-releases-2017-3/

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Good Will Hrunting posted:

wheres the best place to get a good list of all 2017 punk/hardcore/emo that were cool and good

It's called Post- by Jeff Rosenstock you're welcome

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
That AFI album sounds like they just discovered The Cure but it's much better than I expected. I hadn't listened to them since Decemberunderground.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

EL BROMANCE posted:

Here's one to start. That AFI record seemed to turn up on a bunch of lists, so I might have to give it a whirl. Not really cared that much since (the amazing) The Art of Drowning, but maybe I'll super dig it. I think I read more comparisons to Decemberunderground though which was only OK.

that Iron Chic album is loving awesome, thank you

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's called Post- by Jeff Rosenstock you're welcome

Um that came out in 2018 you dunce.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Inspector_666 posted:

Um that came out in 2018 you dunce.

New Year's Day is close enough, we're counting it

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
So who is going to Jawbreaker (me me mememe)

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thanks for this. Been out of the loop lately, have a lot of music to listen to.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Worry. was amazing but I haven’t been able to get into Post- as much, anyway that’s my opinion thanks

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Worry. was amazing but I haven’t been able to get into Post- as much, anyway that’s my opinion thanks

Give it more listens, I needed a few to get into Worry

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Give it more listens, I needed a few to get into Worry

I started listening to Worry and...I think I like it? I think I have to be in the right mood for it, but so far I'm impressed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

symbolic posted:

I started listening to Worry and...I think I like it? I think I have to be in the right mood for it, but so far I'm impressed.

I earnestly feel he's grown as a songwriter with every record, probably because he's been allowed to develop at his own pace

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
If I like Peach Kelli Pop and want more of that sound, what other bands should I check out?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/nathanrabin/status/957267089856913408

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

For those of you at home who don't read comics that's from the new Snagglepuss comic where he's a gay southern gothic playwright in the midst of the HUAC hearings and it is absolutely incredible

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

For those of you at home who don't read comics that's from the new Snagglepuss comic where he's a gay southern gothic playwright in the midst of the HUAC hearings and it is absolutely incredible

Comic books are stupid.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
You guys into the new Tiny Moving Parts record?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEj0p6OyrTQ

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Eight Is Legend posted:

You guys into the new Tiny Moving Parts record?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEj0p6OyrTQ

I love them thanks for reminding me, had no idea it was out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
New Hop Along song is pretty good