Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Is there a reason that there isn't a YouTube mirror for the stream? I can access YouTube at work, but not Twitch. I was watching one being restreamed yesterday, but it got nailed for copyright by GDQ, which seems a little stupid for a nonprofit that doesn't have an active stream on the service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shadow225 posted:

Is there a reason that there isn't a YouTube mirror for the stream? I can access YouTube at work, but not Twitch. I was watching one being restreamed yesterday, but it got nailed for copyright by GDQ, which seems a little stupid for a nonprofit that doesn't have an active stream on the service.

Don't quote me on this, but I think either Twitch or YouTube (or both) made some changes to their terms and no longer allow simultaneous streaming to both services.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KennyMan666 posted:

PJ's attack button dies at an extremely bad time.

Classic PJ.

Edit: Not just that - his attack button transformed into an insert credit button.

What.

PJ.txt

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

KennyMan666 posted:

PJ's attack button dies at an extremely bad time.

Classic PJ.

Edit: Not just that - his attack button transformed into an insert credit button.

What.

The icing on the cake? He was expecting this to happen and had remapped all his buttons just in case.

And according to his interview, he had backups of everything.

I think PJ and Team PLC are my favorite speedrunners.

e: Also are you going to adding recommended runs to your reserved post? We've got a lot queued up at this point and plenty of people in the chat thread are asking for recommendations.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 10, 2018

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

And I thought we'd been relatively drama-free

https://twitter.com/AnEternalEnigma/status/950988112271994881

Didn't watch the run live so I dunno what actually happened here

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

TeaJay posted:

When is the pastebin?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

TeaJay posted:

From context on the thread, he was expecting to be a couch commentator for the race, but they didn't have enough mics so they gave one to someone else instead.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i fell asleep during the run so i dunno the whole story there but as far as RE3 goes it got until at least after the Carlos segment with only good hype and lots of fun so i doubt it's anything major

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Teddybear posted:

From context on the thread, he was expecting to be a couch commentator for the race, but they didn't have enough mics so they gave one to someone else instead.

I have always heard that runners get to choose their couch soooooo

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

DizzyBum posted:

e: Also are you going to adding recommended runs to your reserved post? We've got a lot queued up at this point and plenty of people in the chat thread are asking for recommendations.
Yes. I've just been busy, I'll probably go through the thread and update that post during Superstar Saga. So anyone who wants to post any updated rec lists as of right now, you have until Superstar Saga to do it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
honestly if that's what qualifies for drama this time the organizers are gonna crack open the whiskey

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

This Dragon Warrior run is great. If you liked Gyre and Feasel's RNG seed abuse mechanics last year in FF1, there's more of that here. Kaubocks said it best:

Kaubocks posted:

just being able to call what direction multiple NPCs are going to go in is engaging as hell, jesus

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My updated recommendations so far (runs I've seen myself so far, havent had time to watch any VODs)

Skyrim - it's a marvelous trainwreck, funny tricks and glitches) <- Best Run candidate
Contra co-op - how much in sync two runners can be)
Aladdin - great movements, singing: the EU edition
Donkey Kong Country 2 race - a very good race
DKC1 reverse boss order - this is insanely good and glitchy run
El Matador - spinning and sliding, physics and walls optional) <- Best Run candidate
Rayman - great commentary even if you don't like Rayman
Resident Evil 3 race - from what I saw it was pretty fun
Silent Hill - Punchy's guide on How to open Doors
Batman - A real exciting race once again
Battletoads - TMR pulls through, blindfolded Turbo Tunnel at the end
Battletoads Arcade - PJ breaks something once again and it's glorious
Dragon Warrior - a human TASbot destroys a game (Dragonlord -> :| ) <- Best Run candidate

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 10, 2018

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

JerikTelorian posted:

This Dragon Warrior run is great. If you liked Gyre and Feasel's RNG seed abuse mechanics last year in FF1, there's more of that here. Kaubocks said it best:

It could go all to hell, but the first 10 minutes alone are worth it so far.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Resident Evil 7 was extremely entertaining. If I've never played the game or have no interest in playing but you can keep me watching an entire run, then you are a good speedrunner.

Also blindfolded Battletoads bike level was just as good as the blindfolded Punch Out run a few years ago.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 10, 2018

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

TeaJay posted:

My updated recommendations so far (runs I've seen myself so far, havent had time to watch any VODs)

Skyrim - it's a marvelous trainwreck, funny tricks and glitches) <- Best Run candidate
El Matador - spinning and sliding, physics and walls optional) <- Best Run candidate

seems like Dragon Warrior is also on its way on my recommendations list provided it won't all go wrong in a boring way

This is a good list & I'll add to it what I've seen:

Mega Man X 3-way race: runners actually take different paths!
MGS1: just a really well done race start to finish
MGS3: Run is a mix of unbelievable execution and "I've never seen that before" failures so YMMV on this one

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

And I was right, Dragon Warrior was absolutely insane, definitely recommended.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

It could go all to hell, but the first 10 minutes alone are worth it so far.

Ended up being flawless, and 13 minutes under estimate to boot! Everyone please watch this.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Look, I've liked a lot of runs so far this year but this is the first one that made me immediately tweet out about how incredible it was.

Absolutely watch Dragon Warrior. That was an experience.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also recommending Dragon Warrior

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Your Computer posted:

Don't quote me on this, but I think either Twitch or YouTube (or both) made some changes to their terms and no longer allow simultaneous streaming to both services.

this is correct, there are a couple streamers i watch who had to stop streaming on youtube cause twitch made a change to their rules banning it

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Jesus, that Dragon Warrior run. Human TASbot is absolutely correct.

As a reminder, if you liked that you should put on the Final Fantasy VII run from last year during a shift at work. That guy maintains step count for seven and a half hours, which allow him to manipulate encounters (though not to the same degree as Dragon Warrior, ostensibly because FFVII has more complex programming). That's an insane feat in terms of focus and concentration.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That Metroid All Bosses Deathless (on schedule as Warpless) run is ABSOLUTELY worth a watch.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

LuiCypher posted:

As a reminder, if you liked that you should put on the Final Fantasy VII run from last year during a shift at work. That guy maintains step count for seven and a half hours, which allow him to manipulate encounters (though not to the same degree as Dragon Warrior, ostensibly because FFVII has more complex programming). That's an insane feat in terms of focus and concentration.

Cosigning FF7. ajneb174 is a computer.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

That Metroid All Bosses Deathless (on schedule as Warpless) run is ABSOLUTELY worth a watch.

Seconding this

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Dying Light was a very fun, well executed run. Most of the problems were minor or at least entertaining.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

LuiCypher posted:

also co-signing. I thought a 7 hour run would be awful and unwatchable but I watched in ~1 hour chunks over the course of a week or so and it's just an insane run in terms of stamina, endurance and high level play.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Dying Light was a very fun, well executed run. Most of the problems were minor or at least entertaining.

Also it was almost a record. I wish I could afford to take off this week to watch the runs I'm missing @ work but at least I'll have stuff to watch for a while.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

TeaJay posted:

Dragon Warrior - a human TASbot destroys a game (Dragonlord -> :| ) <- Best Run candidate

oldskool posted:

This is a good list & I'll add to it what I've seen:

Mega Man X 3-way race: runners actually take different paths!
MGS1: just a really well done race start to finish
MGS3: Run is a mix of unbelievable execution and "I've never seen that before" failures so YMMV on this one

The Lobster posted:

Magical Pop'n (Cute game that was worth the watch)
Wario's Woods (Cool technobabble that was super interesting)
MGS (super cool run for super cool goons)
Burnout Paradise (The fuckup that spawned a donation spree meme; WR)
Castlevania: HoD (Really cool run with an insane any% at the end)
Super Mario 3D World (Just a good time)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Wow, how did this Strider deal get approved? Who thought this was a good idea?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Pretty much everyone but you in the chat thread, apparently

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Bigass Moth posted:

I think it's a very good idea and was coming to rec it. Watching someone teach a speedrun is super cool imo.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The Strider tutorial is actually super cool.

Recommended runs:

- RE3 race
- Dragon Warrior
- Battletoads (both of them) including the blind Turbo Tunnel run
- Punchy's Silent Hill run

The rest of the list I had has been recommended many times over

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'd like to toss in a rec for Gunners' Heaven as a chill caveman run of a wonky run 'n gun

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Yeah, totally reccomending the Strider tutorial showcase. It's not very long, but it's pretty cool.

Also I reccomend the RE7 madhouse run because it's just a fun, tense speedrun to watch.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So how do they do the wallzip in Strider?

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

TeaJay posted:

I wasn't in the room for this, but the submission guide clearly states two things:

There are 4 mics for commentary. They do not have to go to the runners.

The runners decide who is on commentary.

So basically I'm saying I don't understand the issue either, but it's likely between him/her and the runner.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I do know that Bawkbasoup insists on having a mic when he does speedruns for AGDQ because he reasonably believes that people remember you more if you actually talk during and not just leave everything to the couch. Wuss also had one, Big Jon had one, and... who, Carci had one? So that's four mics there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, if you take out the false advertising language and people overly looking to find drama in comments, it's "I'm sorry I told people I would be a mic commentator for the run, turns out I wasn't and it was really awkward just sitting there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Cool Matty posted:

I wasn't in the room for this, but the submission guide clearly states two things:

There are 4 mics for commentary. They do not have to go to the runners.

The runners decide who is on commentary.

So basically I'm saying I don't understand the issue either, but it's likely between him/her and the runner.

Well, the L4D2 run struck out with all four mics, given how the commentary was as dull as dishwater from all four of the runners. Two of the runners didn't even speak, and the two that did gave approximately zero fucks. All the couch could do was look on helplessly.

If they needed the headsets for audio, they could've at least made some concessions and had headphones sans mics so that way some mics were freed up for the couch.

• Locked thread