Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

gizmojumpjet posted:

I often play Youtube videos of people talking about things like games, movies, or politics while I'm doing other things like playing video games or browsing internet forums. The sound of people's voices helps ameliorate my crushing loneliness and bottomless despair, if only for a few minutes.

Anyway, that's my Youtube story.

I do the same thing but with twitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Beachcomber posted:

The real question is where did his heart go?
drat YOU :ffg:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

nmfree posted:

drat YOU :ffg:

Ha! I was going to say "Thanks, immersion ruined."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Azhais posted:

I do the same thing but with twitch

I do that with Podcasts. It's like they're in the room me.

Good one, Stu!
Great Point Bob Mackie!

I am a sad lonley goon.

The sad thing is a lot of olds think that unless you're reading books, like physical books, you aren't really reading. Reading Wikipedia or forums or HuffPo or anything like that, dosen't count! This is why Worldcon attendies has an average age similar to Fox News.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
For me it's not the books vs podcasts thing. I read a lot, but there are a bunch of podcasts I like. The thing with RLM is that people told me, "Hey, you have to listen to these Star Wars reviews. They're great." So I go there, and it's just some guy talking slow with a dopey voice that has to be an affectation, because real people don't talk like that.. It just was an unpleasant thing to listen to. So it's not so much that I dislike people talking. I dislike those people talking.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Kurieg posted:

Say what you will about Rascals, the kid they had playing Picard knocked it out of the park.
"Do you know how to spell Enterprise?"
"Computer delete audio."

"Well done Number One."
*stares*
"HE'S MY NUMBER ONE DAD!!!"

I always enjoyed that episode. That kid was a great Picard. Fun fact - It's the same kid who played picard's nephew a couple of seasons earlier in Family.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I wish RLM didn't exist so CineD would have to form their own opinions instead of just saying the opposite

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I wish RLM didn't exist so CineD would have to form their own opinions instead of just saying the opposite

Even by the standards of hot takes on the movie subforum this is gibberish.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Mann posted:

Even by the standards of hot takes on the movie subforum this is gibberish.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I literally joined SA cause supermechagodzilla is awesome :v: although I disagree with their ideas on Round Spaceships.

Epicurius posted:

For me it's not the books vs podcasts thing. I read a lot, but there are a bunch of podcasts I like. The thing with RLM is that people told me, "Hey, you have to listen to these Star Wars reviews. They're great." So I go there, and it's just some guy talking slow with a dopey voice that has to be an affectation, because real people don't talk like that.. It just was an unpleasant thing to listen to. So it's not so much that I dislike people talking. I dislike those people talking.
Podcasts are great. Ideally, podcasts are recordings of interesting people talking about interesting things. What I don't get is the excitement about annoying people talking about boring things.
In this case, for some reason they also do it slowly and in a dopey voice. Why? Why would anyone think this is a good idea?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I alwayd thought the RLM guys are/were goons. Or at least the one who did the prequels videos.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Look, I love podcasts, and some videos are pretty good, it's just that I can read faster than most people talk/vamp for likes, shares, and subscribes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cingulate posted:

Podcasts are great. Ideally, podcasts are recordings of interesting people talking about interesting things. What I don't get is the excitement about annoying people talking about boring things.

So many of my friends do podcasts on tedious boring subjects, it's loving insane. And I'm like "I wouldn't want to listen to your opinions on this poo poo if we were talking in real life, why the gently caress would I listen to a 1hr recording of it???"

Eiba posted:

If you watch RLM for long enough, you will see them making GBS threads on something you like by totally missing the point. An obsessive watcher would be more likely to not take their conclusions seriously and be intrigued by what they actually say about it.

And I mean, the critique in that video was "it makes me think of Star Trek!" which could very easily be translated into not being a problem. It's pretty clear, even to them, that they're just being old and bitter.

(I kind of liked their Best of the Worst series, but eventually ran out of those, but then didn't have anything to watch when eating meals, so I looked into their Half in the Bag reviews. I wish I hadn't, but I've seen a lot of them now.)

Yeah, Mike and Jay have very very particular opinions about movies which are filtered through their respective obsessions, Rich is "the normal one" and has opinions that are more generally relevant. Mike is hugely obsessed and opinionated about Star Trek so his opinions on ST: Discovery and The Orville were always going to be incredibly biased in some way.

The general RLM reviews aren't reviews in the typical sense, they're usually nerd opinions + nerd jokes and they're so jaded that half the time they don't give a poo poo anyway and will just do jokes instead of anything resembling a useful review. If you regularly hang out with people similar to the RLM crew then their videos will seem fun and familiar, if you don't hang out with awkward spergy nerds IRL then you'll probably hate their stuff.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

if you don't hang out with awkward spergy nerds IRL then you'll probably hate their stuff.
I'll forward your compliments to my friend circle.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cingulate posted:

I'll forward your compliments to my friend circle.

..... and I'll forward my condolences to my friend circle :v:

(I actually quite like RLM and most of my friends are horrifically nerdy and awkward, just like me)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cingulate posted:

I literally joined SA cause supermechagodzilla is awesome :v:

Jesus Christ, this is the saddest thing I've read on here in quite some time.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cingulate posted:

I literally joined SA cause supermechagodzilla is awesome :v: although I disagree with their ideas on Round Spaceships.

In this case, for some reason they also do it slowly and in a dopey voice. Why? Why would anyone think this is a good idea?

Every subforum on SA considers CinD and SMG to be a laughing stock except one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nah it's great your crazy man

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Cingulate posted:

lol

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

In the words of the greatest American to have lived:

quote:

That’s Ok. I think laughter is preferable to tears.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

counterfeitsaint posted:

And as we all know, the popular opinion is invariably correct.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fyi I'm having problems making gifs. I'm sorry :(

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Well, in this case, the fact of the matter is clearly socially constructed ("considered as being a laughing stock"), so it is indeed entirely up to the popular opinion :v:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

post/username combo is legit :stare:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cingulate posted:

You DO get that he's doing a character, right?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
EDIT: This was a stupid post, I hope nobody caught it.

EDIT 2: Whoops, somebody did. Okay, the post below caught me at a bad moment that had me confusing Mr. Plinkett with CinemaSins. I have my own problems with Mr. Plinkett but that's not one of them.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 10, 2018

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

DivisionPost posted:

they're doing a character" defense only works if the purpose of that character is clearly expressed,

what

e: oh that makes way more sense now

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 10, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Mr. Plinkett character exists because the only type of person who would could sit and talk about why exactly the prequels are bad in extreme detail would be some insane shut-in murderer. That's the joke, you need to be deranged to care about starwars enough to make such a thing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Just so you catch it:

DivisionPost posted:

EDIT: This was a stupid post, I hope nobody caught it.

EDIT 2: Whoops, somebody did. Okay, the post below caught me at a bad moment that had me confusing Mr. Plinkett with CinemaSins. I have my own problems with Mr. Plinkett [that I'm going to spare you all from], but that's not one of them.

Sorry about that.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

You DO get that he's doing a character, right?
If you dress up as a carbear and break my leg, my leg is still broken, even if you're not actually a bear.

E.: I have nothing against the RLM people as persons. I am sure they're super nice to their friends and spouses and relatives and random pedestrians they cross on the way to Walmart. They're just providing this incredibly terrible product.

Baronjutter posted:

The Mr. Plinkett character exists because the only type of person who would could sit and talk about why exactly the prequels are bad in extreme detail would be some insane shut-in murderer. That's the joke, you need to be deranged to care about starwars enough to make such a thing.
I can imagine a funny 1-minute sketch about some annoying nerd who is obsessed with criticising minutiae in Star Movie. But this is not what RLM is, from what I can tell.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 10, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cingulate posted:

If you dress up as a carbear and break my leg, my leg is still broken, even if you're not actually a bear.

I can imagine a funny 1-minute sketch about some annoying nerd who is obsessed with criticising minutiae in Star Movie. But this is not what RLM is, from what I can tell.

It's not for you, that's ok. Other people love it, to the tune of funding their patreon for 21k a month (which is really small fry). We live in a world where a child unboxing toys can earn millions, some nerds talking about movies and sometimes doing rather hit and miss "comedy" skits and characters managing to pull in enough money to make a living is fine.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

It's not for you, that's ok. Other people love it, to the tune of funding their patreon for 21k a month (which is really small fry). We live in a world where a child unboxing toys can earn millions, some nerds talking about movies and sometimes doing rather hit and miss "comedy" skits and characters managing to pull in enough money to make a living is fine.
... are you telling me I should stop my project of creating a nanovirus that murders everyone who's ever Like'd a RLM video? Whatever happened to my 1st and 2nd amendment rights?

But you're certainly right that much dumber things are loved by far more people. It's just that I keep being surprised how people whose opinions I generally respect and even like are into something I consider so utterly awful, and quite obviously so. I just don't understand.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cingulate posted:

... are you telling me I should stop my project of creating a nanovirus that murders everyone who's ever Like'd a RLM video? Whatever happened to my 1st and 2nd amendment rights?

But you're certainly right that much dumber things are loved by far more people. It's just that I keep being surprised how people whose opinions I generally respect and even like are into something I consider so utterly awful, and quite obviously so.

I really enjoyed the hell out of the prequel and Star trek movie reviews. It was someone spending the time and effort to deconstruct exactly why some things I really didn't like were bad and I found it done in a very entertaining and even educational way. If it was just some normal nerd seriously talking about that poo poo for hours I'd probably lose interest, but the slurred speech and borderline senility added some humour and self-awareness that picking about the prequels for hours is a sad and deranged thing to do. The murder poo poo got old real fast and I found myself skipping ahead at times, but other people found it funny I guess.

A lot of people like RLM because the entire world of "nerd media" is dominated by high-energy shills who love and hype every latest installment of nerd franchise #54 and quite often play extremely annoying characters, or they're the video equivalent of a CineD poster with long pseudo-intellectual movie reviews on how transformers 8 is actually a brilliant Lacanian deconstruction of gender ideology thus is good. A lot of people can relate to the RLM folks as normal nerds like them, they see the banter between them and it feels like the banter them and their nerd friends get into when discussing movies. They aren't getting paid to say starwars is amazing, they're just sitting around honestly discussing the latest movies they've seen. Personally I find them all delightful, funny, and generally agree with their takes. My wife has a fancy background in russian film and literature and didn't have a nerd bone in her body (she hadn't even heard of star trek before we met) and doesn't care for low-brow humour but quickly loved RLM as she found their reviews good and the people quite entertaining.

I can tell you why I like RLM, I can tell you why a lot of other people like them. I'm sure intellectually you can understand why this group of nerds and their videos appeals to a certain demographic, even if those guys just don't personally click with you.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I really enjoyed the hell out of the prequel and Star trek movie reviews. It was someone spending the time and effort to deconstruct exactly why some things I really didn't like were bad and I found it done in a very entertaining and even educational way. If it was just some normal nerd seriously talking about that poo poo for hours I'd probably lose interest, but the slurred speech and borderline senility added some humour and self-awareness that picking about the prequels for hours is a sad and deranged thing to do. The murder poo poo got old real fast and I found myself skipping ahead at times, but other people found it funny I guess.

A lot of people like RLM because the entire world of "nerd media" is dominated by high-energy shills who love and hype every latest installment of nerd franchise #54 and quite often play extremely annoying characters, or they're the video equivalent of a CineD poster with long pseudo-intellectual movie reviews on how transformers 8 is actually a brilliant Lacanian deconstruction of gender ideology thus is good. A lot of people can relate to the RLM folks as normal nerds like them, they see the banter between them and it feels like the banter them and their nerd friends get into when discussing movies. They aren't getting paid to say starwars is amazing, they're just sitting around honestly discussing the latest movies they've seen. Personally I find them all delightful, funny, and generally agree with their takes. My wife has a fancy background in russian film and literature and didn't have a nerd bone in her body (she hadn't even heard of star trek before we met) and doesn't care for low-brow humour but quickly loved RLM as she found their reviews good and the people quite entertaining.

I can tell you why I like RLM, I can tell you why a lot of other people like them. I'm sure intellectually you can understand why this group of nerds and their videos appeals to a certain demographic, even if those guys just don't personally click with you.
No, I don't get it. Even less so now. You're articulating perfectly coherent sentences, and it's making you look like just the kind of person I like to post in an Internet forum about Star Treks with, but this is making it even more strange how you like RLM. This feels like you and I are having a perfectly good discussion about what we like about Wrath of Khan vs. TMP, or TNG vs DS9, and you're saying "I'll get more wine", and I'm saying "I'll get more cheese", and then you're saying, "yeah can you bring the saw? Cause I'd really love to saw my foot of! I tried sawing of my rear end and that was really painful, but I just love sawing my foot of, it's so much more comfortable cause you can easily reach it, my wife is also into sawing her foot off".

And if you had started out by saying, "so you like Star Trek and cheese? Cool, I like mud and self mutilation", I would have said, ok, I guess we're different people, no biggie. But no!

So that's why RLM is so weird to me. How is slurred speech and borderline senility funny, how is it anything but grating? How can you listen to somebody very slowly talking about how good or bad a spaceship movie is from a nerd perspective? How do you want to watch videos of nerds discussing nerd stuff on youtube? I know that's a high-quality saw and I know you're drunk so it won't hurt as much, but why do you want to saw your own foot off in the first place?
I assume this is somewhat similar to how you feel about my appreciation of SMG. Or how my wife feels about me liking Star Trek.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Cingulate posted:

No, I don't get it. Even less so now. You're articulating perfectly coherent sentences, and it's making you look like just the kind of person I like to post in an Internet forum about Star Treks with, but this is making it even more strange how you like RLM. This feels like you and I are having a perfectly good discussion about what we like about Wrath of Khan vs. TMP, or TNG vs DS9, and you're saying "I'll get more wine", and I'm saying "I'll get more cheese", and then you're saying, "yeah can you bring the saw? Cause I'd really love to saw my foot of! I tried sawing of my rear end and that was really painful, but I just love sawing my foot of, it's so much more comfortable cause you can easily reach it, my wife is also into sawing her foot off".

And if you had started out by saying, "so you like Star Trek and cheese? Cool, I like mud and self mutilation", I would have said, ok, I guess we're different people, no biggie. But no!

So that's why RLM is so weird to me. How is slurred speech and borderline senility funny, how is it anything but grating? How can you listen to somebody very slowly talking about how good or bad a spaceship movie is from a nerd perspective? How do you want to watch videos of nerds discussing nerd stuff on youtube? I know that's a high-quality saw and I know you're drunk so it won't hurt as much, but why do you want to saw your own foot off in the first place?
I assume this is somewhat similar to how you feel about my appreciation of SMG. Or how my wife feels about me liking Star Trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJIVK-daGk

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I think the laws should be changed to where if a person refers to Lacan or Nietzsche when discussing TV shows, their lives and rights are immediately forfeit, and they should be strung up and deconstructed by throwing bricks and rocks at them. Ultimately they should be doused in a mixture of old oil and diesel fuel and be immolated.

Just a thought. I'm not suggesting that anyone be killed. They need to live, feel pain and be sorry for being a piece of pedantic autistic poo poo.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 10, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

R-Type posted:

I think the laws should be changed to where if a person refers to Lacan or Nietzsche when discussing TV shows, their lives and rights are immediately forfeit, and they should be strung up and deconstructed by throwing bricks and rocks at them. Ultimately they should be doused in a mixture of old oil and diesel fuel and be immolated.

Just a thought. I'm not suggesting that anyone be killed. They need to live, feel pain and be sorry for being a piece of pedantic autistic poo poo.

Man I'm glad I'm not like this person

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's really weird to sit down and try to explain or deconstruct why something tickles your funny bone, but Orville is between series so gently caress it.

I find the Plinkett character funny because he's a mix of pathetic and deranged. He's a senile old man living in filth and crippled by various disgusting ailments and the only things he has left is talking about why science fiction movies are trash and murdering people. Why is this funny? Well he's a disgusting drunk old man character, which can be funny on their own (see: Father Hackett from Father Ted). He's clearly insane/deranged as seen by the murder and his general mental state, which is funny when paired with ranting about starwars? Why is this funny? Because it puts caring about why the prequels are bad on the same level of derangement as serial killing. It hammers home that caring about starwars, especially the prequels, is madness, not something a normal-brained person should be spending so much time on. I also find it funny/entertaining because his videos actually have a lot of legit good analysis of the films despite coming out of the mouth of a barely coherent elderly crazy man. The juxtaposition is entertaining, but no matter how good the commentary you always have that voice there reminding you not to take any of this too seriously, that this entire endeavor of giving a poo poo about these movies is madness.

Luckily the Plinkett character is used sparingly and for the most part the group just plays them selves. So why do people enjoy Half in the Bag or Best of the Worst or any of their other shows? Well first of all, and what's going to be the initial deal breaker for a lot of people, is if you find these people at all charming or entertaining or relatable. For me, personally, the RLM crew reminds me very much of my early 20's when me and my friends would rent the worst movies we could find and watch them and make fun of them. They all have different tastes and personalities so I usually find the discussion interesting, and I genuinely find the way they interact with each other funny and entertaining. Mike, Jay, and Rich, specially have good chemistry together. Mike is the cynical drunk, Rich is the fat picky nerd with the laugh of an angel, Jay is the "cool nerd" who likes indie movies and italian horrors you probably haven't heard of. If I didn't find these people entertaining on their own, I wouldn't watch their stuff. Beyond that it's watching people you find enjoyable talking about a subject you're interested in.

They are also great at mocking and satirizing the poo poo out of nerd-shill culture and the hype and marketing machines attached to it all. I don't know if this is some "it's about ethics in nerd movie journalism!" thing, but I find their satire on nerd panel shows spot on and very entertaining. When I watch a RLM review I at least can know its their own honest opinions, not those of the people signing their cheques or giving them exclusive early access.

Sometimes talking about stuff like this in depth can be interesting. I met a guy who said his favourite star trek was Voyager, Janeway was the best captain. This boggled my mind, here's a guy I respect who has such an absolutely insane opinion about star trek. So we actually got into it, and it turned out it almost entirely stemmed from the fact that Janeway reminded him of his mom. He was raised by a tough single mom in a large and difficult household so Voyager and Janeway reminded him of his childhood and the mother he admired. I don't want to get into what sort of childhood someone has that could be compared to Voyager, but at least I got why he liked Voyager so much after he explained it. I think RLM might just remind a lot of people of their own friend group of nerds they had when growing up, sitting around riffing on bad movies and arguing and nitpicking about the latest episode of DS9. Or maybe they never had that, so these guys are like their imaginary internet nerd friends they wish they had? But that doesn't hold up entirely because I know several total non-nerds who really enjoy RLM, they think the guys are hilarious and really like their reviews, so there's some sort of broader appeal at work.

I can certainly see why people wouldn't like them or find them entertaining though, but surely you can see why some people might enjoy seeing people they find relatable/entertaining reviewing movies?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 10, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I guess im going to break down and watch some of this just to see but holy poo poo does it sound like the worst thing.

Made for YouTube content is almost always completely repulsive to me anyway, but this sounds impressively terrible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Another thing about Mr Plinkett is the initial phantom menace review was made when YouTube uploads were ten minutes. They were episodic, so the vignettes with mr Plinkett in first person were a hook to watch the next part.

In Episode one he goes off on a tangent about one of his grandkids action figures, then you see him rummaging around in this filthy basement for it, find a toy, say that's the wrong one and toss it, then turn around and there's just a pile of bones there that goes uncommented before he finds the toy he was talking about. Now that a hook, you want to see part 2 and find out what the gently caress is going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

iirc the star trek and miscellaneous movie plinkett reviews are better and somewhat less offensive than the star wars ones