Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek

So what we playing?

We are playing the Cute-RPG-ClickandPoint-Graphic Novel-Undertale like game Light Apprentice, officially released on steam 11 Nov, 2017. This game is an independent art and narrative experience that is too cute for its own good. It has a somewhat typically unique world, lore, and story the like of what you'd expect from a passionate indie studio. The game is available on mobile platforms, but let's pretend that is not a thing and I did not just say that. The beautiful thing about this game is the developers' dedication to delivering an artsy and unique story experience, you can sense a lot of inspirations taken from various games in this title. However as you go through this LP, try to not compare too much to Undertale, as that will ruin your version of experiencing this fascinating little egg of a game.

Now that you hyped me up over an indie game that seems like it possess heart at best, and a mediocre Undertale ripoff at worst, how you planning to do this LP?

Like most LP's I tend to do, I'm not going blind on this title. I will talk a lot as the entire game is basically one huge graphic novel cutscene with interactivity, so if you want to be immersed in the story without my commentary I highly recommend you buy the game and try it out. In any case, my commentary in this LP will highly focus on the game itself, its lore, and lots of display of appreciation of the art direction. So nothing is lost there.

Cool, some info on the characters?

This section will be updated as we go through the game, a more detailed one with my personal comments as well as the bestiary will be included in the second post below.

So far in the game we encountered:

Nate

One of the Light Apprentices. He was found imprisoned in a crystal underneath a mysterious cavern that is revealed to be a research facility of some sorts. He is on of five other kids that were gifted with special superpowers to protect their planet from War that would extinguish it from existence. He seems determined, he has an emotional baggage when he realises he was imprisoned for a long time and perhaps lost all his friends. He is a fighter class with high speed and beefy health.

Tlob

The intellectual blueling wizard who discovers Nate, she is a brilliant young wizard that is part of the explorers faction that seeks out the missing Light Apprentices. She dabbles in all sort of typical role-playing games wizardy and magic, so you'd expect her to possess the arcane-old-school but effective Healing spell. She is a kind soul that even sympathizes with cavern deep creatures. (I am calling it from now, she is crushing on Nate, just saying folks)

One thing to note is that I'm going with the pacifist route in this game, something akin to Undertale's forgiveness vs slaughter system. So that means you won't be seeing any attacks or slashing of gooey creatures. I understand that going in all defense can get boring eventually, but the engaging story is there to offset that little annoyance.

So far the devs only released the first Volume of the game which consists of 4-6 chapters which I will play through, future volumes will be released in the future and I will make sure to cover those as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek
Reserved for bestiary and such

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
This is a cute looking game. I'll probably pick it up some time soon cause I want the developer to make more of this.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It definitely has an interesting style.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Since vid.me shut down, are you going to upload videos elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek

Mraagvpeine posted:

Since vid.me shut down, are you going to upload videos elsewhere?

I think I will reupload those clips to youtube and everything new there, too bad about vid.me I really liked it.

I guess you can't really stick to the man and mess with the establishment.

• Locked thread