Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
16-24 hours in cold water or an hour in hot water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I made some Beef Shawarma last night but had to settle for a premade marinade pack because Meijer was out of Cardamom from all 3 different spice companies on the shelf. I can only image someone cleaned them all out at once too as everything else was stocked pretty well. It was pretty good but I ended up shredding the meat but next time I will be cutting it up into smaller chunks more like I get at the Mediterranean restaurants. Might also try to find some Lamb instead of beef if I can.

Also gonna try to make some little pita breads and garlic sauce for the whole authentic meals.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I thought shawarma was meat cooked on a spit which is then shaved off for serving. A pressure cooker doesn't fit in with my idea of it at all. Did you post to the right thread?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Yeah that is what it is. Yeah it isn't authentic but it tasted good... And I made it in my Instant pot so this was the correct thread for it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ranter posted:

I thought shawarma was meat cooked on a spit which is then shaved off for serving. A pressure cooker doesn't fit in with my idea of it at all. Did you post to the right thread?

That's true, but you could probably make like a heavily herbed lamb meatloaf that's pretty close to shawarma.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Kenji has a pretty great gyro recipe that I've made several times. It's basically the same thing as shawarma. I can't post a link because I'm phone posting, but basically you salt ground meat overnight, puree it, form it into a freestanding loaf, and bake it. Let cool, slice pieces off, and crisp up in a pan. The texture is just right.

I'm not attacking you, but what did you make in the pressure cooker? I can't imagine anything I'd call shawarma coming out of one.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Gyro isn't shwarma, get outta here.

But yeah, you can probably make some wicked delicious meat in a pressure cooker, but a shwarma is roasted meat on a spit.

In other news, I got an instant pot for Christmas and have been reading through this thread for ideas. Made some delicious beef on the weekend, and am planning on some cabbage, rice and beans tonight.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jordan7hm posted:

But yeah, you can probably make some wicked delicious meat in a pressure cooker, but a shwarma is roasted meat on a spit.

In other news, I got an instant pot for Christmas and have been reading through this thread for ideas. Made some delicious beef on the weekend, and am planning on some cabbage, rice and beans tonight.

YEAH. I made a real good pot roast in the instant pot the other week. Probably gonna make it again for my girlfriend this weekend.

I'll probably make corned beef and cabbage in there soon, too.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Jordan7hm posted:

The texture is basically the same though, right?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

cabbage, rice and beans tonight.

This sounds awesome and I need to make it, were you looking at a specific recipe?

I made yogurt in my IP over the weekend, strained through cheesecloth and it's pretty drat indistinguishable from the Fage I used as a started. gently caress yes much cheaper Greek yogurt!

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Carillon posted:

I made bean soup last night and even after 40 minutes at high pressure the beans weren't entirely softened. was one of the odder experiences I've had with my pressure cooker, anyone else had beans that took forever even after a decently long cook? (to be clear these were small panamito beans, I've had larger/thicker skins take a while, but never something this small)

I've cooked multiple bean soup type dishes in the past month with the IP and even using similar recipes there seems to be some variety of cooking times necessary to get them to the softer consistency I prefer. My bean sources have varied though.

This pressure cooker has convinced me to chart into unknown territory -- beef soup bones, ham hocks, oxtails, etc. I just saw a $1 beef soup bone at the market so I bought it. Now I'm wondering -- can I just throw it into a longer cooking stew dish? Or should I specifically set it aside for beef bone broth?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The texture is basically the same though, right?

Boy, you trying to start a war?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

I made my first jam. :3:

Pear Cranberry w/ Cinnamon.

Also put a new valve & gauge on the AA, and polished it a bit:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh poo poo, I had no idea you could make jam in a pressure cooker. If I ever end up with excess fruit, then I know what to do with it.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I used the pressure cooker as a vessel to water bath can it, unsealed. IIRC pressure cooking jams isn't recommended as (since there are zero recipes with pressure times) it will render the fruit into some kind of very unappetizing overcooked goop. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Aw, okay. Well, maybe there's something I can do with leftover grapes 'n poo poo...

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

VulgarandStupid posted:

Boy, you trying to start a war?

Well, I mean it is though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
In Australia they call greek gyro 'souvlaki' even though it's not traditional real souvlaki. shawerma is called kebab. they're all layers of meat pushed real close together on a spit. It's just a difference of flavoring and what goes in the wrap. But yeh they're the same texture/idea.

And ze Germans call it Doner Kebab because reasons.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I've had all three (or at least food that was sold as all three) and they seemed like they were basically the same thing but with different flavorings :shrug:

If there's some fundamental difference between doner kebab, shawarma, and gyro, I'd love to know what it is.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Döner is Turkish.

Shawarma is Arab.

Gyros is Greek.

Al Pastor is Mexican.

There is a lot of national pride involved, just as with Greek vs. Turkish yoghurt. They're all very similar though, mostly differing in the choice of spices (and obviously no pork in the Arab/Turkish versions).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

With the exception of the Mexican, my impression was the seasoning was very similar in the others.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
There’s actually a sort of Mexican pastor that uses middle-east style spices due to a pocket of Muslim immigrants. I’ve made it at home but without a spit it isn’t the same.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Kenji has a pretty great gyro recipe that I've made several times. It's basically the same thing as shawarma. I can't post a link because I'm phone posting, but basically you salt ground meat overnight, puree it, form it into a freestanding loaf, and bake it. Let cool, slice pieces off, and crisp up in a pan. The texture is just right.

I'm not attacking you, but what did you make in the pressure cooker? I can't imagine anything I'd call shawarma coming out of one.

I made a shredded beef that was flavored according to recipes when I searched for Beef Shawarma on the internet. Yeah I don't have a vertical spit in my house and I know it wasn't the real thing. I made something that had the flavors and was as close to it that I could do at home. It was good and I will make it again but slightly different next time as I didn't want the shredded texture.

https://www.google.com/search?q=instant+pot+beef+shawarma

I don't see what the confusion is here. It's like the guy that said he is making a pot roast. An instant pot doesn't ROAST the meat but no one seems to wonder what he is making.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

With the exception of the Mexican, my impression was the seasoning was very similar in the others.

Yeah, but also I doubt the whole of Turkey uses the exact same mix in their doner, or the whole of the Levant for their shwarma etc. There's room for manoeuvre in each.

Döner is a Turkish word, from dönmek ("to turn" or "to rotate" or "instant pot").
Gyro comes from Greek γύρος ('turn' or "15 minutes on manual");
Shawarma is an Arabic rendering of Turkish çevirme [tʃeviɾˈme] 'turning' or "new rubber seal",

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm gonna try to pressure steam an artichoke tonight, out of curiosity. It won't go with my dinner at all, which is like a chicken katsudon :v:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I always microwave my artichokes. With the time it takes to come up to pressure and to depressurize, I think the pressure cooker would actually take longer overall.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I keep making chicken soup in the Instant Pot with the soup setting, but the celery is always falling apart soggy. How can I avoid this?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

VulgarandStupid posted:

I keep making chicken soup in the Instant Pot with the soup setting, but the celery is always falling apart soggy. How can I avoid this?

Put a little in for flavor and then add the majority of it in after and use the saute function, maybe?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Anything you want to not be mushy needs to be done at the end.

I would take the advice above and sauté them for a couple minutes and add them after you release pressure. Basically bring the soup back to a boil and then throw them in for 5 minutes. Same as if you were adding noodles.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Trastion posted:

Put a little in for flavor and then add the majority of it in after and use the saute function, maybe?

To add, I just made Kenji's pressure cooker stew and he has you put in whole carrots and celery for 2/3 of the cook, remove them and then add chopped carrots and celery for the final 1/3.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Don't forget to use the celery leaves, too. Sometimes I put mine in salad, other times it goes into the mirepoix, other times it goes into the soup after the liquid is added.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are there actually any decent sites for recipes for this? Most of what I find are articles filled with ads, paragraphs of how their family loves it, and gigantic pictures.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

eonwe posted:

Are there actually any decent sites for recipes for this? Most of what I find are articles filled with ads, paragraphs of how their family loves it, and gigantic pictures.

I think you might want a cookbook.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

eonwe posted:

Dad Cooks Dinner.
Instant pot website
Hippressure cooking

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Ranter posted:

They cooked meat and put it into a pita or wrap. Job done, similar meal. It's not like we should look up to the quality of meat on a spit they use for shawarma, doner or yiros.

Thanks for whoever linked they new vids on hipcooking. It did teach me a bit about pressure release - I have things I do instant release and others natural release some I've always done that way, others was trial and error but now I kind of see why.
Also I was in the mood for nori rolls the other day and I tried making it in my old newwave brand pressure cooker. Her recipe was a bit off and I was adding the ingredients she doesn't (bit of mirin, sake, kombu powder). Plus the cooking time was about 1 min too much and needed probably 2 TB more rice - Recipe on their site was 1 cup of rice to 1.5 cups water. I'd already cut the water down to 1.25 cups to allow for my additions but that wasn't enough rice:liquid plus wasn't really quite enough rice unless effort stretching. 1 cup rice was juuuust enough for 3 nori rolls as I had plenty of filling this time anyway. Sometimes though I just have smoked salmon, or omelette and mushroom and in those cases 1 cup wouldn't have been enough, so it's better to be safe with 1.25 cups for 3 nori rolls.
https://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-sushi-rice/

E: of course yeah, use rice wine vinegar only for the finishing, and try use 2Tbsp vinegar to 1 Tbsp sugar. May need to heat the vinegar up to dissolve it, but "pinch of sugar" is bs.
Overall, 6 min pressure cooking worked well and makes it way more less fussy than the old way, especially in my non stick new wave brand pressure cooker. I use it for plain rice, risottos and pilafs a lot before but it was my first time with sushi rice. Worked OK and will do again with the minor changes I mentioned.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 11, 2018

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

wormil posted:

Dad Cooks Dinner.
Instant pot website
Hippressure cooking

ty buddy.

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm gonna try to pressure steam an artichoke tonight, out of curiosity. It won't go with my dinner at all, which is like a chicken katsudon :v:

I do this all the time! I used to steam it for about an hour in a pot - in a pressure cooker takes about 12 minutes, and I definitely recommend it!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Made a savory balsamic winter apple butter tonight, lots of warming spices thrown into the mix. Used the instant pot to pressure cook the 5lbs of apples in 20 minutes and shave about 8 hours off the whole cooking process as a result. Netted 2L of the stuff and it is divine. Since I used Galas I was able to drastically cut down on how much sugar I'd need to add, and subbed in maple syrup as half that amount for a richer flavor.

Jars are from the 50's. :ssh:

Rime fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 12, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Fo3 posted:

They cooked meat and put it into a pita or wrap. Job done, similar meal. It's not like we should look up to the quality of meat on a spit they use for shawarma, doner or yiros.

Yeah nah, shawerma/gyro/doner should be nice browned roasted meat, not pressure cooked pot roast. End of story. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Turns out I didn't cook the butter long enough and it remains a spiced and delicious apple sauce. Think I should enjoy fall-flavor apple sauce, or risk flavor changes by rendering it down further and reprocessing the batch? :confused: