Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
THE CONTEST IS OVER. MANY GOOD DOGS WERE POSTED. BELOW ARE MY FAVORITE DOGS, IF ONE CAN TRULY HAVE A FAVORITE DOG.

First of all DIShonorable mention: the cat guy, that mother fucker.

This is my favorite of the puns posted. I also like the idea of this floofer exploring the forest. 12/10

I feel like this gets the flavor of fetch pretty well. You throw a spell and then your pup bird catches it. But why’s it a bird I don’t know. Still, good dog, 13/10

Wow! This dog pounces on bad guys to knock em over, and you can teach the old dog new tricks. Wow! We have a winner! I’m so mad I had to give this contest back to ChewyLSB but this was my favorite! 15/10!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

black potus posted:

I feel like this gets the flavor of fetch pretty well. You throw a spell and then your pup bird catches it. But why’s it a bird I don’t know. Still, good dog, 13/10

The picture is a dog with a peacock tail, and it was the best picture I found for the double entendre I was going for. Also it's in Simic colors and I like goofy type lines.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I figured it was a bird just to match the art. Its GREAT card art because its fantastical, a bit silly, looks like magic card art and it matches the gold, blue and green in the border colors.

want to pet that peacocker spaniel

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Spreadsheet updated.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Best contest so far imo

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Wew. I was pretty proud of that design and it just started with "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"

Design a new Mechanic across all rarities

The goal of this challenge is to design a new mechanic, and a common, uncommon, and rare/mythic rare for that mechanic. I'm very particular about complexity so your common should follow the NWO standard for complexity and establish the baseline, your uncommon should feel free to ramp it up and maybe be a build around card for limited or an interesting twist on the mechanic, and your rare/mythic should feel like a splashy version of your mechanic. Because I'm asking you to design a vertical stack of rarity, make sure you consider limited play, which is where the rarity of the cards matters the most.

Now, I only mentioned NWO complexity, and as Maro always says NWO has nothing to do with power level, so don't worry about designing to the power level of modern MTG expert sets, since quite frankly, I don't like it either.

Your cards also don't have to necessarily have the mechanic, but can be limited cards designed to synergize specifically with the mechanic without directly referencing it.

Examples:

EDIT: Deadline is next tuesday, 1/16/18 at 6 PM PST.

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 10, 2018

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
No art, because I'm a bad person. Here's an idea that I imagine a lot of people have had. Thread counters. Counters, that are just signposts for spells and abilities.

Commons:

Uncommons:

Rares:

Mythic:

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 10, 2018

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Oh boy time to make more rakdos mechanics and cards.

Now to wait for The Worst Submarine to try and push Blindside again.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 10, 2018

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

I think that Traitor would technically be phrased (You may have ~ enter the battlefield under target opponent's control by paying its Traitor cost.)

Also, there seems to be some trouble for The Blackwood Wraith. For one, Legendary is a Supertype, not a creature type, so it goes all the way on the left of the type line. Secondly, I'm not what it's activated ability is supposed to be?

e-

Or maybe even (You may cast ~ for its Traitor cost. If you do, target opponent gains control of it as it resolves.), since that way you can have fun stuff like non-permanent spells with big downsides that you can dump on your opponent.

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 10, 2018

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I did all the fixes. I'm sure it'll still be wrong because I'm playing in unfamiliar waters in regards to this mechanic.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 10, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Mabye a mechanic similar to this is already in the game? I looked for something like this but I couldn't find anything, perhaps people who know more about the game will be able to tell.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 10, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Mikl posted:

Maybe a mechanic similar to this is already in the game? I looked for something like this but I couldn't find anything, perhaps people who know more about the game will be able to tell.

The closest things are Sunburst (Counters per colour) and Converge (variable effect determined by number of colours). The Mythic is Coalition Victory with less requirements, though.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
In the recent Unhinged set, a burn spell was printed with Trample. There are lots of reasons why this wouldn't work in black bordered magic, but the concept itself, a burn spell that deals lethal damage to a creature and the rest of its damage to that creature's controller, is mechanically sound. Thus do I present Overkill, a working Trample for spells:

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 11, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

The closest things are Sunburst (Counters per colour) and Converge (variable effect determined by number of colours). The Mythic is Coalition Victory with less requirements, though.

Thanks! I've modified the Mythic, hopefully this is better:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Mikl posted:

Mabye a mechanic similar to this is already in the game? I looked for something like this but I couldn't find anything, perhaps people who know more about the game will be able to tell.

Memory is the biggest problem with this mechanic

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Memory is the biggest problem with this mechanic

Yeah, I thought I could make a cheap reusable token with the colour pie on it, where the player marks the Prismatic colours.

Sort of mock up:

Ideally a circular plastic thingy, 2,5 cm (1 inch) in diametre, the player marks the appropriate colours, and they can be erased later.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
OP updated.

Reminder to self post, on mobile:

Explode, Red (Dies, deals damage to each creature and player equal to its power.)
???, Blue (Dies, scry equal to its power.)
???, Green (Dies, damage to target creature equal to its power.)
Spite?, Black (Dies, target player loses life equal to its power.)
Memorialize, White (Dies, gain life equal to its power.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 10, 2018

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

OP updated.

Explode, Red (Dies, deals damage to each creature and player equal to its power.)

Green mechanic: Death Throes, maybe?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

OP updated.

Blue might be Reflection.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm thinking Vision and Death Throes, yeah. Not sure about how much I like Death Throes but :shrug:

Cycle of commons is probably just 1/1s for 1 with the keyword.

Some random ideas that probably need balancing:

Pyro Charger
2R
Creature - Elemental
Uncommon
2/1
R: ~ gains +1/+1 until end of turn.
Explode

Spirit of Valor
1WW
Creature - Spirit
Uncommon
2/4
Defender, flying
Memorialize

Firestorm Elemental
3R
Creature - Elemental
Rare
4/1
Haste
At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice ~.
Explode

Pyrtos, Father of Flame
3RR
Legendary Creature - Elemental
Mythic
4/3
Other Elemental creatures you control get +1/+1 and have explode.
Explode
Once one goes...

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Dirt cheap for a spell that pierces hexproof and shroud on players and on creatures, and deals more damage for every creature they have while enforcing a one sided board wipe, plus casual huge life gain.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Mystic Mongol posted:

Dirt cheap for a spell that pierces hexproof and shroud on players and on creatures, and deals more damage for every creature they have while enforcing a one sided board wipe, plus casual huge life gain.

You're right. Make it mythic.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Mystic Mongol posted:

Not too far off par, oddly enough. Compare Starstorm for almost-vanilla monocoloured instant speed board wipe, and Aurelia's Fury for a drown-them-in-wordy selection of riders to the damage. Bonfire of the Damned for its miracle cost can be more damaging, Lavalanche likewise at a single mana higher. It is definitely pushed, but not outside the limits of possibility. Probably should be a Mythic, tweaking.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 12, 2018

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
new mechanics are really hard..

this one needs a set with a reveal engine, like explore. i have no idea how balanced it is tho

(i did the art for this one)

this one is mostly silly. its totally useless most of the time but its probably not hard to break

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 13, 2018

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Inspired by the Penumbra cycle from Apocalypse, and the Symbiotic cycle from Onslaught, with some flavour from Gelatinous Gensis. Assist goes to Elyv for bringing it up in IRC.

Wording is a little fussy but that was the best I could come up with, without adding a billion words to the cards. Hydra straddles the line between Mythic and Rare, could go either way.

There are a lot of different shapes and sizes for these cards to go, though there can't be too many at common or limited bogs down quickly. G2 1/3, B2 3/1, GG1 3/2 Reach (the ooze won't have reach though) were other options I went through before settling on these since they showed the possible range at higher rarities.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ah, consistency. What a lovely dream.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I did a pack. I wanted to show some of the synergies the mechanics could have in a draftable set, so here we are. Then I ended up with two mechanics, so you get a foil rare too!!!! Congrats, maybe it will be worth a dollar some day.

Mechanics!

Battle-hardened makes your creatures get +1/+1 counters and sometimes additional effects when they get into a tussle with another creature. Fight and tricks would be heavily in this set to help trigger it, as well as ping effects that can target your guys.

Glory incentivizes blocking because whenever you get a creature through, all your glory abilities trigger. Your opponent might block your 2/3 with their 2/3 instead of taking 2 to prevent this. If your 2/3 has battle-hardened, all the better!

e: Dammit I didn't change a ~ to a cardname before giving it to MSE OH WELL TOO BAD.

black potus fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 14, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

black potus posted:

e: Dammit I didn't change a ~ to a cardname before giving it to MSE OH WELL TOO BAD.

To say nothing of the p/t on that mythic wall.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Fixed too :( I shouldn't mock up my cards while I'm half asleep.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Played in a similar space :-/ .

The basic common:

The two-color, theme-defining uncommon:

The bomb rare :

The Timmy mythic :

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Kuiperdolin posted:

The Timmy mythic :

poo poo, I'm a Timmy.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Everyone's a Timmy deep down.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Kuiperdolin posted:

Played in a similar space :-/ .

The basic common:

Your reminder text misspells "deals damage" as "deams damage" also, you may want to reword it to more clearly indicate that it's the creature with Bloodlust that receives that counter -- just as best practice if the mechanic ever gets picked up again.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Friendly reminder that today is the last day!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
gently caress your weak rear end creatures. gently caress your walls especially

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Your reminder text misspells "deals damage" as "deams damage" also, you may want to reword it to more clearly indicate that it's the creature with Bloodlust that receives that counter -- just as best practice if the mechanic ever gets picked up again.

You're right but I don't think I'll have time to correct it. :-/

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Aww poo poo, forgot to make cards out of my mechanics, and contest will probably be over by the time I get home.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Kicker variant coming through!

It's like flash, but worse. Going by gatherer something like this was tried once before during invasion, but it had a standardized cost and wasn't keyworded, so I'm still saying this is new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Thread is a pretty interesting idea. I like the flavor of it a lot. Its a lot like graft but thats not necessarily a bad thing. I would be a bit worried about memory issues regarding Thread, but as long as the set didn't have +1/+1 or -1/-1 counters that issue could be avoided.

Of your cards, Altitude Networker is my favorite common, Woven City is my favorite uncommon, and Poison Needle is my favorite rare. Your mythic is also quite well done and exciting as well. I don't like the Squire at common because as an A/B mechanic it feels like all of the commons should be self contained (kinda like what WoTC did with Energy). Silken Knight feels like it should be a uncommon too and have a higher payoff.

Bondbreaker feels like it would almost always trigger and then kill the creature since its a 3 mana 3/2 first strike. I feel like it would've been more interesting as a Tim Variant that also had a tap ability that cost like 3 or 4 mana to remove thread counters from creatures.

Traitor is very splashy but I'm not sure that this mechanic is particluarly deep design wise. Mostly downside creatures with a low normal cost and a high traitor cost? My other issue is what I call the Tribute issue in it feels like the kind of mechanic where almost all of the cards are going to be cast in one way or the other (In such that each tribute card, even though they had "two modes" really only had one mode that was picked 95% of the time)

As mentioned in the thread, the primary concern here is memory. It is also fairly similar to Sunburst and Converge, which I'm already not a big fan of how similar they are. That being said, there's nothing wrong with trying a new spin on it. Unfortunately I think the memory issues here are a little bit too much for me to be a huge fan of this mechanic - that being said, I like the idea of pushing 5 color strategies for draft like these.

I've always been of the opinion that WoTC should be more willing to print creature keywords on spells like lifelink and trample so I like this submission. Your uncommon in particular I think is quite compelling and exciting, which is good. I do agree with the thread that your mythic is likely busted, if your opponent has even just two creatures it gains as much life as much as Warleader's Helix at 4 mana while likely killing both of them and it just scales up ridiculously after that. The concept of a rare fireball with overkill is a fine idea though, I just think it needs some tuning.

Infuse is a neat spin on cipher, although relying on creatures dying makes it a lot more narrow. My initial thought is that it would be very difficult to rely on triggering Infuse, particularly in limited that people would rather just cast the cards face up. The idea of casting the cards for free is pretty exciting but it feels like you would get 2 for 1'd a lot with this mechanic and that feels less good.

Omen is an interesting idea but it feels to me like you would really have to tailor a set around it to work properly. It would require a lot of revealing cards from your library to even really function. Your uncommon also doesn't particularly feel like an uncommon complexity wise.

I'm a big fan of this mechanic. Its an interesting spin on undying/persist but allows you to print cards that coagulate multiple times. My initial thought would be that memory might be an issue with different sized ooze tokens staying on the field, but this could be fixed by making them 0/0 Oozes with X +1/+1 counters on them. Your rare in particular is very exciting to me and highlights the difference between this mechanic and undying/persist.

Surprisingly similar to Infuse although you can't be 2 for 1'd. I would be a little worried about the limited play of this card since this essentially prints a bunch of Ivy Elementals into the set so I feel like the limited play regarding this mechanic would not be amazing. In addition, your uncommon doesn't particularly feel like an uncommon rarity wise, just a slightly different common.

Two mechanics for the price of one. Battle-Hardened in a vacuum I would almost assuredly rate lower but in the context of a set that incentivizes blocks into walls makes it a lot more interesting. In particular your Battle-Hardened uncommon excites me although it feels like your opponent would never attack into it, even if they were incentivized to do so, so if you ever do get to trigger it it feels like it would almost always be at a disadvantage. The rare feels like it should be RW as well and not GW.

I like glory more than Battle-Hardened in its goal to incentivize attacks that include a lot of bouncing off of each other, since each card just needs one creature to make it through. Your rare in particular excites me a lot to play with glory, and it being a defender has the subtle incentive of also encouraging bonucing off of each other.

Another mechanic that encourages creatures bouncing off of each other. My initial thought is that this should trigger off of combat damage to a player or bouncing off of another creature, since in particular it feels to me like in most cases your 1/4 for 3 is just going to be running past guys and hitting them in the face instead. Your uncommon is complex and works with the mechanic but the mechanic as written makes me feel like this card is just going to trade with a 3/3 or a 3/2 and the ability itself won't matter very much.

This mechanic reminds me a lot of Infect in the 'alternate damage' way. Not preventing damage feels like it won't matter much in most cases so to me this mostly reads as an almost exiletouch which is... fine but doesn't necessarily feel worthy of a mechanic? I get that it keys off of power instead of toughness, but it feels weird to me that the mechanic has to track whether the creature dies or not based on power instead of toughness, and if it doesn't then it'll die anyways. Your common also strikes me as fairly complicated since its a dual mechanic common. Your rare is suitably exciting although it feels like it would be ridiculously difficult to get around this in limited if you didn't have removal for it.

You managed to get this in while I was typing up this post and I'm feeling a bit generous today so I'll add it even though its past the deadline! That being said, this is a functional but unexciting mechanic. That doesn't necessarily mean its bad because it can be a good workhorse but it doesn't strike me as something that would get me to buy a set. I like your uncommon in particular since its two modes of play are very clear but distinct.

My Top Three:

Three: Thread by aabcehmu

I think you cheated a little bit by posting a shitload of cards instead of a cohesive 3 so I just picked my 3 favorites from the group which gave you more 'shots' at printing a card that I liked. That being said, the 'interconnected' feel of thread feels super flavorful and I feel like the gameplay would be very compelling. I think it differentiates itself from Graft just enough to be worthy of its own mechanic, but only just so. In particular, I'm a big fan of your rare's spin on cards like Engineered Explosives and your Uncommon land. The 1/2 reach also strikes me as a great introduction to the mechanic and really showcases what the mechanic does, so I think its a solid common.

Two: Glory by black potus

Glory feels like a workhorse mechanic to me, and reminds me a lot of bloodthirst and batallion for obvious reasons. That being said, I think it accomplishes your set goals nicely. Your rare in particular is very splashy and has me excited to try the mechanic out, similar to Admonition Angel which is one of my personal favorite cards (and one of the cards that originally got me into mtg), which might be showing a bit of my personal bias, but gently caress you its my contest. That being said, your uncommon doesn't particularly excite me, especially since Glory the mechanic itself wants you to play cards pre-combat to get their glory bonuses. Your common is solid, though, and showcases the mechanic nicely and gets people excited for what else there could be.

Winner: Coagulate by Lone Goat

Recurring creatures is always a big hit amongst players, myself included. The possibilities for this mechanic are really exciting, and your cards are all solid. The rare is very splashy which is exactly what I was looking for and quite excites me. The uncommon feels suitably like an uncommon and the blowouts with this card seem quite exciting, although my inital thought might be that this card might be a ridiculously bomb rear end uncommon in limited. Your common is also a solid baseline common that introduces the mechanic well.

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 17, 2018