Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

:wow: Welcome to the thread for the Winter 2018 anime series, Violet Evergarden! Kyoani is known for their generally insanely high production values on their television anime and Violent Evergarden is an apparent effort for them to blow their animation load even harder than they have with something like Sound Euphonium. The show is about a ghostwriting cyborg and her quest to find a greater understanding of someone that was important to her through writing. The first episode did not feature a significant amount of plot development but did a good job providing some tantalizing hints about Violet's violent past, the war, and the overall setting.

Cast:

Violet Evergarden

Some kind of traumatized child soldier/cyborg, she lost her arms towards the end of some major conflict and understands very little beyond murder and military customs and courtesies. Following a lengthy recovery and the installation of sick robot arms, she now works in Colonel (Retired) Hodgins company and seeks to learn the meaning of stuff she heard her commander say throughout the war.

Claudia Hodgins

Founder of CH Postal, he employs mentally ill transient veteran Violet at the behest of his battle buddy Gilbert, who commanded Violet during the war. He has arranged for her to stay with an ostensibly wealthy family, the Evergardens, while she transitions into society. His company specializes in postage and delivery, as well as ghost writing letters and whatnot for illiterate people or others needing their service to express themselves.

Major Gilbert Bougainvillea

Violet's commander, seemingly dead. His last words to Violet were "I love you" which is what inspired her to become a ghostwriter.

Cattleya Baudelaire

An "Auto Memories Doll" who works for CH Postal. Didn't receive much characterization in the premiere.

Where can I watch this before the heat death of the sun?

There were some confusing signals that Netflix was not going to Netflix this show and simulcast it outside of Japan, but that appears to have been in error and it will stream in Spring 2018. It's streaming with English subtitles on Netflix in the UK and Canada apparently, but still won't stream in America until Spring 2018 for some baffling reason. Meanwhile, Asenshi, the group that did solid work fansubbing Little Witch Academia and Children of the Whales (which seemingly no one watched anyway) is doing the Lord's work on this show once again. Google them and you can find their releases of this show about 12 hours after it airs Wednesdays in Japan, with a 1080p version to be released on Thursdays after Netflix Japan starts streaming it.

The show isn't as insanely pretty as the videos released in 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CJeDetA45Q

But overall it looks pretty drat good, as you can see from the PV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5xWqjFglsk

Please use spoiler tags on any discussion of plot elements of the light novel this is adapted from, including materials that the show seemingly does not adapt as those elements might crop up later than in the original work. Thank you very much!

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Pretty great first episode even if it wasn't too plot-heavy, the setup is nicely handled and sets the tone for the future. It definitely met my expectations. The show looks beautiful and I'm glad to see the usual Kyoani attention to detail in the character movement and such. I'm looking forward to the rest!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

First episode was gorgeous, but the writing felt stiff as all hell to me. Felt like the only time anyone broke their melancholy expression was for an awkward "let me just change right here" joke. Hope the show lets itself breathe a little more as we go on.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

First episode was gorgeous, but the writing felt stiff as all hell to me. Felt like the only time anyone broke their melancholy expression was for an awkward "let me just change right here" joke. Hope the show lets itself breathe a little more as we go on.

Isn't that kind of on Violet though, who basically doesn't know how to act human at all right now? Everyone else is either on guard around her because they're not sure how to deal with her (Mrs. Evergarden) or don't care because they have their own poo poo to deal with (Benedict), and the one guy who knows how to handle her (Hodgins) is wrestling with not having told her the truth about Gilbert. I'd imagine as Violet gets more comfortable around people and gets to know the other Dolls we'll have plenty of time for more expressive stuff. Seeing as the show is supposed to focus on her growth as a person, it makes sense to me that things are going to be kind of awkward starting out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Violet seems like she could use a hug.

I hope that happens before the series is over.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

auto memories doll....AMD.... :thunk:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

auto memories doll....AMD.... :thunk:

I would be ok with an AMD anime in which they fight the evil cyber overlords, Intel.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm sure Hyperdimension Neptunia'll get there soon enough

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

wait so
auto memory doll

in Japanese is it literally the word doll they're using?

also, if Violet was a child soldier and the war was 4 years long - how old is she? like 16?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
so far the writing is awful and this should be the easiest part of the story get right. its kinda hard believe that it's capable of handling the premise of learning what it means to be human through ghost writing letters while having child soldier ptsd

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

rincewind101 posted:

wait so
auto memory doll

in Japanese is it literally the word doll they're using?

the word is written as "person-shaped" and in effect kind of covers the gamut from marionettes to sock puppets to mannequins to raggedy ann to voodoo dolls and whatever's in between. Not always but sometimes stuff like androids too, depending on the author. Probably not something to read too hard into.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Everyone seems to have a pretty high opinion of this Major, considering he was using at least one child as front-line infantry.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Netflix has the first episode up, at least here in Canada.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

yeah i saw anime news network listing it as streaming in canada and uk now which, :psypop:

why are you like this netflix. what did america do to hurt you.

updating the op to reflect that

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the netflix compression looked awful. outside of that, visual wise it obviously didn't measure up to the trailers. the writing is pretty trite stuff as well, but its still better than their other ln adaptations like knk or mpc so far.

leiden is a real city, but it obviously doesn't look like that, the bridge is also a fairly obvious visual reference, but many of the other background visuals imply a much sunnier place than that

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Violet's deal and her relationship with the Major made me think of Gunslinger Girl, if said girls got to retire and rehabilitate into society, I wouldn't be surprised if Hodgins is an ex-handler with his own major guilt/trauma issues.

Auto Memory Doll is a really awkward title for a job position not what the writers actually are right? The series might lose some of its charm if the brainwashed child-soldier is meant to learn what it is to be human again by working in some sort of sweatshop filled with cyborgs Hodgins bought with his military pension or whatever.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's a little weird that they're called Dolls, actually, I wonder if we'll get more into why they're called that. Hearing about the job name before the show came out had me thinking that Violet was a robot - I only realized otherwise when that flashback showed Violet ripping her arms off trying to save Guilbert.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So visually this looked great. Plot-wise I'm not too keen on the attractive girl character who is somehow a demon at fighting despite her slight frame and who doesn't understand human emotions at all. PTSD could explain it, but there's lots of human interaction in the army so wouldn't she have picked up some social skills over the years? Either way I'm just a little tired of these types of female characters.

I'm a big fan of how there's a rim shading on the characters that reflects what the predominate color is in their environment. I liked that more than everything else in the show.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
The army is like negative socialization

Also Netflix is simuldubbing this and still not streaming it in America lol

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 12, 2018

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.
Something worth noting is that in the novel, you don't find out about Violet till later on. It's a sort of reverse Haruhi situation where the anime is showing the chapters in chronological order rather than the order they were presented.

Episode 1 - Chapter 6
Episode 2 - Chapter 7
Episode 3 - Chapter 8
Episode 4 - Chapter 9
Episode 5 - Chapter 1 (Part 1 || Part 2)
Episode 6 - Chapter 2
Episode 7 - Chapter 3
Episode 8 - Chapter 4
Episode 9 - Chapter 10
Episode 10 - Chapter 5
Episode 11 - Chapter 11
Episode 12 - Chapter 12
Episode 13 - Chapter 13

You're supposed to think Violet is a robot until chapter 6.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Huh, yeah the synopsis of the novel is:

"“I’m Violet Evergarden, the Auto Memories Doll who will rush to provide service anywhere you wish.“

That translucent voice comes from a robotic beautiful girl with blonde hair and blue eyes like she came out of a storybook."

So either that gets scrapped in the anime or the novel is misleading at first.

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.

Ccs posted:

Huh, yeah the synopsis of the novel is:

"“I’m Violet Evergarden, the Auto Memories Doll who will rush to provide service anywhere you wish.“

That translucent voice comes from a robotic beautiful girl with blonde hair and blue eyes like she came out of a storybook."

So either that gets scrapped in the anime or the novel is misleading at first.

It's the latter, though she does introduce herself as such. Really you aren't supposed to know she's not a robot till chapter 6.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Tarage posted:

It's the latter, though she does introduce herself as such. Really you aren't supposed to know she's not a robot till chapter 6.

that's an odd choice for the anime to make! okay. so - Violet is totally just gonna be hanging out with the actual android ladies that Hodgins had enough clout to somehow buy
the schizo tech in this setting makes me think of how the Imperium is portrayed in Warhammer 40k; the Eisenhorn novels in particular.
we've got an illiterate public
a major war fought with bolt action rifles and trenches
and adamantium cybernetics...!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I guess if it was good enough for Fullmetal Alchemist (I don't think automail was actually related to alchemy magic, it was just there?) it's good enough for this.

I was super confused about who was a robot and who wasn't so I'm glad that's cleared up at least.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 12, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Ok I'm in

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tarage posted:

uh, that sounds way more interesting than what we got.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Yeah she's the pretty one

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

On one hand, it sounds like the way the novel did it was interesting. On the other hand, I still sort of trust in Kyoani's adaptation skills since they also changed some things around in Maid Dragon and I felt it was better for it. I definitely want to give this a few episodes to see how they handle things story-wise from here before I make a final judgement.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

cathead posted:

On one hand, it sounds like the way the novel did it was interesting. On the other hand, I still sort of trust in Kyoani's adaptation skills since they also changed some things around in Maid Dragon and I felt it was better for it. I definitely want to give this a few episodes to see how they handle things story-wise from here before I make a final judgement.

Changing the chapter order does sorta change the tone of the story as the original order would probably endear the reader to the main character more before learning about her tragic past rather than the chronological/anime order which expects to endear you after. Depending on how it develops, it could very much end up as a very different sort of story and while I trust KyoAni with adaptations on the whole, I do worry that this change could unintentionally undermine the story.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kyoani has radically changed things in almost everything theyve adapted so i doubt that's gonna be the problem with the story if there is one

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I was taken in with the first episode but the Woman Willfully Acts As A Knight/Weapon/Tool To An Older Man Whom They Love story has gotten so tired to me that I left just feeling deflated by the end. That's on the novel and not KyoAni obviously, but im just not sure how much the plot is gonna keep hooked on this one

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah someone described her character as Saber crossed with Rei Ayanami and while those are two very popular characters which have inspired huge sales, I dislike both those characters.

So while this series will look very nice and potentially be a huge hit for Kyoani, I'm not sure I'm a fan.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
The series is clearly structured as a slow burn so i think its dumb to write it off after one episode. The first episode of kyoani's dragon maid was loving terrible and that turned out fine

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Is his name really Claudia

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've actually seen a KyoAni show with a first episode I've straight-up loved, despite really loving most of their shows. I didn't hate Maidragon's premiere, but it definitely didn't showcase many of the show's real strengths. I barely remember Eupho's or K-On's first episodes (2nd seasons don't count), Haruhi's was interesting but not like crazy good IMO, Hyouka's deliberately a slow burn...

I guess maybe Nichijou or Amaburi, but those are both full-on comedies, kind of hard to compare to something like this.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'll probably keep watching just for how high the production values are but I hope this character grows considerably as a person.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The dialogue and characterization in the first episode were astoundingly bad, the music was so saccharine that I was sick of it within a couple minutes, and while there's a lot of production values and technical competence on display in the aesthetics I never really felt like any personality was coming through in them. I guess I'll give another episode a shot if the studio's known for starting awkwardly before growing into great stuff? But Jesus Christ this is a pretty deep hole to dig themselves out of

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Mokinokaro posted:

:canada:
I was surprised when I saw this being featured on Netflix. I don't think it was even announced ahead of time, at least not anywhere that I saw. If nothing else, it looks pretty.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I actually enjoyed that quite a bit. Looks great and I think there's scope for character development. Maybe I was just in the mood for some melodrama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Very pretty but I hope it's less about "what is life" as the series moves along since they're a dime in a dozen.

• Locked thread