Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Press minus and go to setting (you have to have downloaded a patch to get the JP audio)

Oh sigh.

I'll tolerate it. Pyra's voice is nice at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
If you don't like the dub that much, just save, go to software update in the switch menu, and get the patch, it takes like less than 5 minutes

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Man I don't understand people. "Heinous" dub? You have not heard heinous dubs if you think this is one. It's not amazing but it sure aint bad. Plus everyone has wonderful accents instead of boring american ones.

I'm convinced katana-wielding drivers are just the worst enemy in the game. They have completely unreadable counter moves that you're clearly supposed to be able to read, break/topple/launch combos, and the ability to almost OHKO you whenever they drat well want with sword bite. None of these are fun and somehow they're all coalesced on a single enemy type.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Amppelix posted:

Man I don't understand people. "Heinous" dub? You have not heard heinous dubs if you think this is one. It's not amazing but it sure aint bad. Plus everyone has wonderful accents instead of boring american ones.

I'm convinced katana-wielding drivers are just the worst enemy in the game. They have completely unreadable counter moves that you're clearly supposed to be able to read, break/topple/launch combos, and the ability to almost OHKO you whenever they drat well want with sword bite. None of these are fun and somehow they're all coalesced on a single enemy type.

I think people just aren't used to such heavy accents.

This is mainly an American audience.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm always glad when stuff like this happens, cause it's a nice reminder that we aren't the only people in the world that like video games. In fact I wanna see more English dubs from countries that aren't just the US and Europe.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Oh sigh.

I'll tolerate it. Pyra's voice is nice at least.

It is?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think people just aren't used to such heavy accents.

This is mainly an American audience.

That is a very real possibility. I've also seen people claiming the accents to be exaggerated and obviously faked, etc, which I think is a pretty clear sign of never hearing an actual British person talking besides maybe on BBC.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The accents definitely threw me, but I was glad for them after a short while.

The voice direction was a notable weak point. Between awkward pauses and flat emotions there were very few scenes that didn't make me stop at least once and wonder what went wrong in the recording booth.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
PYF fanart

(from reddit user gregcamhon)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/renkobon/status/940297234603827202

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's "normal" is my guess.

I think it's actually a nice touch that the blades tend to have american accents while the people have various european accents. It really drives home that the blades aren't from the same "world" as everyone else.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Amppelix posted:

If I wanted to listen to people speak in an awful Welsh accent I'd go to Swansea and then shoot myself because I was in Swansea. And for some reason the Empire is Scottish, and not even the nice Edinburgh accent, but people trying some weird mix that ends up sounding like a Glaswegian went through a blender.

But that's not even the worst. Rex's accent is meant to be English right? Where the hell is he even from? It's like an person from England listened to a person from the US attempt an English accent and then tried to replicate it. Seriously if you're running an English accent weirder than my own you've got a problem.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The accents own and it's telling the worst main character voice has no accent.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Depends, are you putting a healer blade on Rex/Five or using a character exclusively for healing? If you're going for a heal character, go with block because 1/3 of your attack skills are going towards a skill that does no damage, and healing weapons generally have the worst attack skillsets and attack animations. Also on your healer character, make sure you don't have any skills with break on any of their blades because they'll very very often prioritize going for the break as opposed to healing.

Slapping a healing character on an attacker means you wanna stick with the critheal. Boreas can heal your whole party when critting, and Ursula heals everyone just by being switched to and knuckles are the most viable healer critheal weapon, and even some attack-based blades like KOSMOS can heal the party with their level 3 special, so it's possible to go with a no-healer team with a setup like that

I was asking specifically about Nia, who I usually control. I'll stick to blocking for her, then. I'll keep in mind crithealing with knuckles, though. Sounds fun. What about Four? Should a dodge tank prioritize block rate or crit(heal)?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

That is a very real possibility. I've also seen people claiming the accents to be exaggerated and obviously faked, etc, which I think is a pretty clear sign of never hearing an actual British person talking besides maybe on BBC.

I recall hearing that a Hellsing dub got criticized for having fake English accents when none of them actually were. I guess Americans are used to the exaggerated fake British accents our actors put on to portray any character who is not obviously American.

How comparatively unexaggerated Pyra and Mythra has grown on me. You can still feel the poor direction, but the two sounding fairly ordinary I think distinguishes than a bit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
From what I've read, Rex sounds exactly like his VA. Which explains a lot. That accent is authentic, whatever it is.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
End of chapter 3 spoilers

I just watched a 10 minute cut scene in the middle of a boss battle where the scantily-clad, buxom wifeu magically transformed into a different scantily-clad, buxom wifeu, and the main villain's motivation waa revealed to be "saving the world by killing humanity." Also, the second wifeu is a tsundere?

Goddamn it, I thought this series was supposed to be less anime.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Tae posted:

From what I've read, Rex sounds exactly like his VA. Which explains a lot. That accent is authentic, whatever it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3TFl_rqIGc

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

But that's not even the worst. Rex's accent is meant to be English right? Where the hell is he even from? It's like an person from England listened to a person from the US attempt an English accent and then tried to replicate it. Seriously if you're running an English accent weirder than my own you've got a problem.

I saw someone on twitter say it's northern english / yorkshire, and why wouldn't i trust this random twitter person, so there's my answer.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Earnestly posted:

You missed Xenosaga?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

voltcatfish posted:

You missed Xenosaga?

I came in on the first xenoblade thanks to the thread here. I didn't get too far, but it seemed less anime than other jrpgs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Earnestly posted:

I will never understand what gives people this impression.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If we're submitting evidence that yes, people on the british isles really do speak like that, here is unrelated footage of someone with an accent (that I can't place because I don't know poo poo about english accents) who is, to my knowledge, very much not putting on a voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IYb2c1bAWw

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

kirbysuperstar posted:

Anime is bad and if I enjoyed something, that means it's not anime.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Moreover I don't know how anyone could take even one look at this one and not immediately think it is incredibly anime (which it is and that eules).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The final fantasy artist is really good at fooling people that jrpgs are not anime

Someone every few months has a freak out in the FF thread that FF is not anime, especially 6

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Amppelix posted:

I saw someone on twitter say it's northern english / yorkshire, and why wouldn't i trust this random twitter person, so there's my answer.

It's not a Yorkshire accent for sure. It's probably somewhere near the region, which makes it an accent from the armpit of the UK and like nails on a chalkboard to anyone from the South.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Earnestly posted:

how the hell have you gotten to the end of chapter 3 thinking "nope, not anime, no anime to see here"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This would probably be too big an ask, but it would have been fun if they'd pulled more US regional accents for the blades, too. Like there's the Texan common boys and Dahlia is apparently a southern belle, but like bring in someone from Boston or Brooklyn. Imagine a Minnesotan Pyra.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

chumbler posted:

This would probably be too big an ask, but it would have been fun if they'd pulled more US regional accents for the blades, too. Like there's the Texan common boys and Dahlia is apparently a southern belle, but like bring in someone from Boston or Brooklyn. Imagine a Minnesotan Pyra.

Are there any professional voice actors from Minnesota

I would be surprised

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Voice actors come from everywhere, is that a serious question

chumbler posted:

Considering the recording was based in EU, it's probably really hard to get an authentic accent from there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

voltcatfish posted:

Are there any professional voice actors from Minnesota

I would be surprised

Voice acting requires you to stay inside all day and you think we wouldn't have any from here?

Also Don Lafontaine was from Duluth, MN

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 11, 2018

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

LPG Giant posted:

Do you think it was an actual admission of love and Rex friendzoned her? I interpreted it as her meaning platonic love, like Rex more explicitly says.

That's how I interpreted it too.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
To get to a certain point for Agate's quest, I need to get to the Womb Hollow in the Land of Morhya. I stopped in chapter 8 after I regained all my party members at the base of the tree. If i keep going in to reach the womb can I back out of plot stuff and go back to side questing?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

To get to a certain point for Agate's quest, I need to get to the Womb Hollow in the Land of Morhya. I stopped in chapter 8 after I regained all my party members at the base of the tree. If i keep going in to reach the womb can I back out of plot stuff and go back to side questing?

You already passed that location.

You can also go ahead into the next area a little way without losing access to anything, and you don't lose anything really of consequence even if you go beyond that point. The place where you absolutely need to stop if you don't want to miss anything is the moment you get a view out from the tree over the Cloud Sea.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

lmao at all the people who say that the reason for not liking the voice acting is because of some weird racism against English people despite the fact that American media portrays the English accent as being higher class and well-respected. My Youtube recommendations are nothing but Limmy's Show and Mitchell/Webb because I watch them so often but yeah I'm sure I've just never heard a real European talk before

The voice direction aside which multiple people have already commented on, too many characters sound less like they're doing voice acting and more like they're doing a stage play, Tora being a really prominent example of this. I think that's why it sounds like they're doing a fake accent, because normally when people put on fake accents they pair it with overacting, but in this case it's just overacting. From what I've heard, the dub uses a lot of film and stage actors, so those things would line up. If you just listen to a scene from the game while not looking at the screen, it's really easy to imagine it functioning as a stage-play, with characters walking across the stage and doing exaggerated gestures to each other

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

lmao at all the people who say that the reason for not liking the voice acting is because of some weird racism against English people despite the fact that American media, portrays the English accent as being higher class and well-respected. My Youtube recommendations are nothing but Limmy's Show and Mitchell/Webb because I watch them so often but yeah I'm sure I've just never heard a real European talk before

The voice direction aside which multiple people have already commented on, too many characters sound less like they're doing voice acting and more like they're doing a stage play, Tora being a really prominent example of this. I think that's why it sounds like they're doing a fake accent, because normally when people put on fake accents they pair it with overacting, but in this case it's just overacting. From what I've heard, the dub uses a lot of film and stage actors, so those things would line up. If you just listen to a scene from the game while not looking at the screen, it's really easy to imagine it functioning as a stage-play, with characters walking across the stage and doing exaggerated gestures to each other

Ummm show me the videos that even acknowledge these accents exist. Like not all accents are the same don't be an idiot.
also no one said racism just people reacting weirdly to accents they have probably never heard before.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Zoran posted:

You already passed that location.

You can also go ahead into the next area a little way without losing access to anything, and you don't lose anything really of consequence even if you go beyond that point. The place where you absolutely need to stop if you don't want to miss anything is the moment you get a view out from the tree over the Cloud Sea.

The location isn't showing up with a quest marker though so I thought I had to go further in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

The location isn't showing up with a quest marker though so I thought I had to go further in

From the entrance, follow the left wall. Should be there on the ground level, towards the back.