Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I have no idea how this became a derail and I apologize.

Here I'll help you out: you posted repeatedly about how you didn't like a thing while simultaneously making it clear that you didn't even have the most basic grasp of the plot, let alone any themes or humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Also, Bob wasn't their pimp. He was their driver, providing a friendly and secure presence and service in an area where they were most vulnerable.

Or did I misread that episode also?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

Wasn't there an episode of Spin City where a billionaire runs against the mayor and loses after the mayor gives an impassioned speech about public service and responsibility? :allears:

That's not aging badly, that's just a sad reminder of better, more innocent, times.

But on the other hand, there is a Dave Chappelle-meme saying that "Watching the Hillary Clinton campaign was like watching Darth Vader giving the 'I have a dream' -speech".

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Der Kyhe posted:

That's not aging badly, that's just a sad reminder of better, more innocent, times.

But on the other hand, there is a Dave Chappelle-meme saying that "Watching the Hillary Clinton campaign was like watching Darth Vader giving the 'I have a dream' -speech".

Other people being worse does not mean that Hillary isn't also very terrible

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

purple death ray posted:

Other people being worse does not mean that Hillary isn't also very terrible

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that Hillary was terrible, and her campaign was absolutely abysmal on several levels, mostly for relying on shaming people into the booths; there really was no winning candidate.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

MariusLecter posted:

Also, Bob wasn't their pimp. He was their driver, providing a friendly and secure presence and service in an area where they were most vulnerable.

Or did I misread that episode also?

And also bonding with them over a shared experience of enduring nocturnal hardship and vulnerability in pursuit of money for something important in their lives. Like, it's a whole thing in the episode that they're his best customers, his favourites for being decent human beings (even the one that smokes crack), and that they have a mutual basis of respect. Marshmallow's gone on to become one of the only regularly appearing Trans characters in any animated series to boot, and while very flamboyant, her gender stuff is never the subject of any mean spirited jokes.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Not an episode but I remember on my girlfriend's birthday a couple years back we all watched Sixteen Candles (none of us had ever seen it, but she likes Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller). That movie probably wins the "aged terribly" award on both a race and sex perspective. I still remember the palpable awkwardness in the room.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Calico Heart posted:

Not an episode but I remember on my girlfriend's birthday a couple years back we all watched Sixteen Candles (none of us had ever seen it, but she likes Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller). That movie probably wins the "aged terribly" award on both a race and sex perspective. I still remember the palpable awkwardness in the room.

You'll find that happens a lot in fondly remembered movies from decades past.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SEX BURRITO posted:

The only show I can think of now with super long intros is The Simpsons. But I think that’s because they’ve run out of ideas and need the filler. Saw a newish episode the other day and there was a 5 minute Lord of the Rings parody as a couch gag. Fresh.

I miss sitcoms that told you the premise of the show in the intro. Like The Nanny or Diff’rent Strokes. Every show should have a jaunty little tune that introduces the plot.

Crazy ex-Girlfriend has you covered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzY3EaJTuJk

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Cross posted from the comics thread.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Calico Heart posted:

Man, Ferris Bueller is possibly my all-time favorite movie but some of John Hughes' stuff has aged terribly. The 80s didn't age well to start with and Sixteen Candles/Pretty in Pink were trash from day one. I remember not particularly liking either growing up, so it's not a New Cool Goon Opinion either. I'm sure it was tainted by my constant yelling of "WHY ARE YOU PUTTING A REDHEAD IN PINK WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU" much like I did to Kirsten Dunst in Spider-Man.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Afriscipio posted:

Cross posted from the comics thread.

This is too specific to this thread to not be weird

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

TheKennedys posted:

Man, Ferris Bueller is possibly my all-time favorite movie but some of John Hughes' stuff has aged terribly. The 80s didn't age well to start with and Sixteen Candles/Pretty in Pink were trash from day one. I remember not particularly liking either growing up, so it's not a New Cool Goon Opinion either. I'm sure it was tainted by my constant yelling of "WHY ARE YOU PUTTING A REDHEAD IN PINK WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU" much like I did to Kirsten Dunst in Spider-Man.

...what's wrong with putting a redhead in pink?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dexie posted:

...what's wrong with putting a redhead in pink?

pink clothes with ginger hair and pail skin looks dumb

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Sixteen Candles is awesome and I'll fight you IRL. Pretty in Pink was always terrible though. Blaaaaaaane...

I never knew what to think about Some Kind of Wonderful. At the very least it will be a time capsule to the time when art school cost about the same as diamond stud earrings.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

She's the same way with Kolchak, too.

:sever:

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

South Park definitely hasn't aged well but it has its moments. The best episodes is when they play with that fact that they're kids.

There's an episode where the boys are trying to infiltrate the girls sleepover to steal their "machine that tells the future." Which is just one of these.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

As a kid i thought hill street blues and 21 jump street were related or even possibly the same show.

Welp bye

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

SEX BURRITO posted:

Iron Crowned posted:

But that takes time and effort, and have you ever seen the DVD/streaming version of Married with Children? The intro is exceptionally jarring now.

It’s a horrible midi version of Love and Marriage. I used to have the DVDs and it was kinda sad that the theme tune had gone. I liked it.

From a couple pages back, but it must be heard to be believed. It's not a MIDI version of Love and Marriage. It's a MIDI version of something vaguely reminiscent of Love and Marriage, probably composed by their copyright lawyer. Playing the titles silently would have been preferable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xad-StH-7BY

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
How about some badly aging set designs?

The set for Family Feud:

This is from the Louie Anderson version (1999 - 2002). It looks like what an 80s movie might think a futuristic game show would look like.

This is the Richard Karn version (2002 - 2004). Not much better, but not as sterile looking.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I attempted to make a joke about how much the shows attitudes has flipped and those 2 episodes were the most direct points of comparison because they had the same subject matter. I guess it misfired, sorry. That episode actually is one of the better S1 episodes especially compared to Louise making absolutely sure Hugo understands the great piece of pedophile wordplay her dad cooked up in the pilot.

Actually she's the one who puts up the "Child Molester Burger" bit.

Really that, in the pilot, is the only really Family Guy-esque stuff in the show. They hadn't found their tone yet.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

duck trucker posted:

South Park definitely hasn't aged well but it has its moments. The best episodes is when they play with that fact that they're kids.

There's an episode where the boys are trying to infiltrate the girls sleepover to steal their "machine that tells the future." Which is just one of these.

Yeah, it always got the most mileage from the fact it’s kids being kids, or if not that, jammed into situations over their head. I think that’s why the games have really hit the sweet spot for me- the core concept is the kids neighborhood dress up game goes completely off the rails.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Leavemywife posted:

She's the same way with Kolchak, too.

Blasphemy.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

She secretly likes the show, though. She'll just never admit it. If I'm watching it, she'll watch it with me. And I know she's invested, because she's getting as many details as she can.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Volcott posted:

NIGHT COURT is timeless.

gently caress. Yes.

My dad was a college student in NYC in the 60s and sometimes he and his buddies would go hang out at the real night court just for something to do. He says it was every bit as fun in real life as the TV show (without some of the more outlandishly comedic hijinks, anyway).

Sarcopenia posted:

Fin Memes are the best.

I always, always, read these in Ice-T's voice, and it is always loving hysterical.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Leavemywife posted:

She secretly likes the show, though. She'll just never admit it. If I'm watching it, she'll watch it with me. And I know she's invested, because she's getting as many details as she can.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Krispy Wafer posted:

Sixteen Candles is awesome and I'll fight you IRL. Pretty in Pink was always terrible though. Blaaaaaaane...

I personally love the awesome scene where the cool guy we're meant to like says a nerd can rape his drunk girlfriend in exchange for the underwear of the girl he actually wants to sleep with (and then at the end of the movie it's okay because the girl says she liked being hosed by a stranger when she was unconscious).

Not to start a derail or anything but jeesh I can't think of a movie scene that's meant to be comedic but was that uncomfortable

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Calico Heart posted:

I personally love the awesome scene where the cool guy we're meant to like says a nerd can rape his drunk girlfriend in exchange for the underwear of the girl he actually wants to sleep with (and then at the end of the movie it's okay because the girl says she liked being hosed by a stranger when she was unconscious).

Not to start a derail or anything but jeesh I can't think of a movie scene that's meant to be comedic but was that uncomfortable

I rationalize that scene by assuring myself they didn't actually have sex. Farmer Ted can't remember it and both of them are fully dressed and sitting in an open convertible. You can also say that Ted is himself under the influence. We don't know what those birth control pills do to a teenage man.

I can not rationalize Revenge of the Nerds though and I even remember being a little weirded out by that whole cheerleader/nerd exchange even when it was new. Also, Long Duck Dong DOOOOOONG has aged really badly.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Shows that have aged poorly in the last week - The Doctor Blake Mysteries.

Somewhat popular Australian show about a 1950ish Police Surgeon who solves a new murder in a (murder capital of the country) small town every week. Just finished it's 5th season and was picked up by a commercial network for a new season.

...and in the last week, the star (who has been in a lot of TV shows and movies in Australia, including Neighbours and a guest star role in NCIS Los Angeles, and multi Logie award winner Craig McLachlan had this happen to him:

quote:

Sexual harassment allegations

On 8 January 2018, a joint investigation by Fairfax Media and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) reported that McLachlan had been accused of sexual harassment by several actresses during his performing career.[10][11] Three actresses from the 2014 Australian production of The Rocky Horror Show - Christie Whelan Browne, Erika Heynatz and Angela Scundi - have alleged that they were abused, harassed or assaulted by McLachlan; he responded, "Frankly, they seem to be simple inventions, perhaps made for financial reasons, perhaps to gain notoriety. In either event, they are to the best of my knowledge utterly and entirely false."[10][11] McLachlan subsequently left the current production of The Rocky Horror Show.[12] Producers of The Doctor Blake Mysteries announced that production would be temporarily suspended. Victoria Police also announced that they are investigating complaints from two of the women.[13]

The amount, evidence, witnesses and accounts of all this mean his career is dead and he's been kicked off the stage show and the TV series is on hold (probably forever). Right now I can't see any of the TV show's or anything else he's been in being shown on TV again in the foreseeable future. More men and women have gone to the Police about it.

Comstar has a new favorite as of 13:23 on Jan 11, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Calico Heart posted:

The goofy asian guy bit was pretty hosed up too.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Horace posted:

From a couple pages back, but it must be heard to be believed. It's not a MIDI version of Love and Marriage. It's a MIDI version of something vaguely reminiscent of Love and Marriage, probably composed by their copyright lawyer. Playing the titles silently would have been preferable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xad-StH-7BY

I own the show on DVD and after watching one episode after the other, you just get used to it. Like the slow march of death, it's something that becomes inevitable.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

The goofy asian guy bit was pretty hosed up too.

Yeah but I think the Donger goes without question. Even if you like the movie everyone kinda has to shrug and go "yeah okay" for that dude. The weird sexual politics stuff I think is easier to forget about

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

I own the show on DVD and after watching one episode after the other, you just get used to it. Like the slow march of death, it's something that becomes inevitable.

At least it shares the same kind of mood (more or less) than the original theme. That Bosom Buddies one was just gluing on some B-track and hoping nobody noticed. At that point they should have just cut the intro out completely and saved some disc space.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

pink clothes with ginger hair and pail skin looks dumb

Adolescent me heavily disagreed re: Kirsten Dunst in Spider-Man.

A few pages ago people talked about how bad the Simpsons 90s flashback episode was, but honestly one of the more baffling choices comes from the actual era: in the Lollapalooza episode, the festival features Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth and Cypress Hill, which is spot on. But the headliner is...Peter Frampton, one of the most uncool boomer rockers ever.

(I am aware that Sonic Youth are technically baby boomers, but they're icons of Gen X music).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Henchman of Santa posted:

A few pages ago people talked about how bad the Simpsons 90s flashback episode was, but honestly one of the more baffling choices comes from the actual era: in the Lollapalooza episode, the festival features Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth and Cypress Hill, which is spot on. But the headliner is...Peter Frampton, one of the most uncool boomer rockers ever.

(I am aware that Sonic Youth are technically baby boomers, but they're icons of Gen X music).

The Simpsons had an absurdist aspect to it, and I'm pretty sure that was the joke

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

The Simpsons had an absurdist aspect to it, and I'm pretty sure that was the joke

I'm more inclined to believe he was just available and in or around L.A. at the time.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

How about some badly aging set designs?

The set for Family Feud:

This is from the Louie Anderson version (1999 - 2002). It looks like what an 80s movie might think a futuristic game show would look like.

This is the Richard Karn version (2002 - 2004). Not much better, but not as sterile looking.

Early 2000s was a dire era in game show set design. Remember Pyramid hosted by Donnie Osmond?

Who needs things like walls or colors other than purple?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Doggles posted:

Early 2000s was a dire era in game show set design. Remember Pyramid hosted by Donnie Osmond?

Who needs things like walls or colors other than purple?

Lets face it, gameshow set design was never good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Kirsten Dunst is a flawless ethereal beauty and I remember being so incredibly confused during the Spider-man/Bring It On era when people were calling her ugly.