Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Why couldn't they just have gone with "Knights"?
Probably because they couldn't get a trademark for it, right?
Now they're gonna lose their name or have to kick some money to the loving army.

the london knights is a hockey team in canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

hifi posted:

reportedly they never even asked the london knights for permission to use knights, so they must have given up on that avenue quickly
of course they didn't ask for permission here either, so uhh... GM McPhee baby!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

it'll be funny if VGK won the Cup, had the team name etched in, but then had to X it out because of copyright

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the tweets from back then sounded like it wouldn't be a problem in america but you would have to assume the nhl would step in and say no way

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

or they could just call themselves the Gold Knights which sounds better anyway

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
If only Bill Foley didn't make his boner for the Army well known :shrug:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Pierre McGuire has Stage 1 prostate cancer. :(

gently caress's sake, cancer. Can't you stop affecting people that I lik--well.. er.. that I kno-- er.. that I'm familiar with?

At least stage one is the best case scenario I think. My father had it and it was successfully removed and now he's cancer free. Hoping the same for our turtle boi McGuire.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

yellowcar posted:

or they could just call themselves the Gold Knights which sounds better anyway

Or the Olden Knights. Or the Gold Knives. What a waste of taxpayer money to pursue this. gently caress my country.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Neon Nights would actually make sense and be more fun.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm comin' home...

quote:

The New York Islanders could make a triumphant (and temporary) return to Nassau Coliseum while they wait for their new digs at Belmont Park to be constructed.

Newsday reported Tuesday that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman toured the former Isles arena, which was renovated in last spring. Bettman was on hand to look over the improvements made to the facility, which was built in 1972.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/01/09/new-york-islanders-could-return-to-the-renovated-nassau-coliseum-report/?sf178776789=1

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Talk about wasting the tax payers money.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Resume changing at Jamaica.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

Aphrodite posted:

Those things are fancy and extremely expensive closed circuit tablets or something.

It's the cameras that suck. They're not even centered.

The tablets are 4k. Now feeding into a 12” iPad Pro which is a change for this season. Cameras are not centred, they are on the outside of the blue line.

Edit: tablet specs corrected

Veinless fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 11, 2018

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I feel bad for Panik. He was surprisingly good last year and just has not caught a single break offensively this season. I hope he shakes off whatever was getting to him and picks it back up in Arizona.

Also I think Chicago has traded Clendening three times now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Army needs to gently caress off, government shouldn't be able to hold trademarks or copyright.

Especially when they infringe on copyrighted works all the drat time for mission patches.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

hifi posted:

There are multiple sports teams that are the Kings or Giants or whatever. Not to mention the one million colleges that are Wildcat. Why does London have any sort of stake at all?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

there's trademarks for things like "medicare" though

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

There are multiple sports teams that are the Kings or Giants or whatever. Not to mention the one million colleges that are Wildcat. Why does London have any sort of stake at all?

that's the only "knights" team that was mentioned in the first naming go-around

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Knights would have some kind of trademark for use of the name Knights in regards to hockey or something like that. It would probably only be in Canada though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

hifi posted:

that's the only "knights" team that was mentioned in the first naming go-around

Right, but the Kentucky Wildcats dont sue the Northwestern Wildcats over copyright or trademarks. Why does London have any room to get huffy about Vegas also calling themselves Knights?

VVV I'm sure Army changed their slorts to Army West Point a few years ago

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 11, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Two things here.

1. Army does sanction hockey, Division-I to be exact.
2. It's the Army Black Knights, which could be a point in Vegas's favor here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Army has a Golden Knights parachute team. That’s what they cited when they disputed the trademark the first time.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Right, but the Kentucky Wildcats dont sue the Northwestern Wildcats over copyright or trademarks. Why does London have any room to get huffy about Vegas also calling themselves Knights?

Today they could and probably would have, but those names are like 90+ years old and paperwork was poo poo back then.

Vegas simply could not get Knights in Canada, because London exists. They need it in both countries, so it wasn’t an option.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

xzzy posted:

Army needs to gently caress off, government shouldn't be able to hold trademarks or copyright.

Especially when they infringe on copyrighted works all the drat time for mission patches.

I would even take it a step further and just abolish copyright and trademarks. Everything will be public domain, baby.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
Happy for Klingberg. He makes a lot of boneheaded mistakes sometimes, but his selection to the all star team is a pleasant surprise. He's not a traditional defenseman by any means, so I'm surprised he got the nod this year.

Cool for Seguin too, but I'm sure he's bored by the all star game by now.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Thufir posted:

Neon Nights would actually make sense and be more fun.

This is the correct answer. Take their current helmet logo, make the interior black along with the rest of the jersey and then outline the helmet in red.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I know there's roster limitations with the 3v3 format and 1 player from every team has to go but Mike Green being an all star over Dylan Larkin is just :psyduck:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's less Green over Larkin than the other Atlantic forwards over Larkin, forcing them to choose someone on defense in Detroit.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CBJ are 6-0 in games decided in 3-on-3 this season and Torts is letting the players have autonomy when it comes to their own approach to the format:

quote:

John Tortorella has been so pleased with his players’ instincts and efforts that he’s not addressed them about his ideas to potentially improve performance.

“I have some thoughts as I have seen 3-on-3 — I have some thoughts about coaching it — but I’m not going to (share them),” Tortorella said. “I think our guys have done a really good job with it.”

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This article about Trading Auston Matthews is actually pretty good.

I feel like NHL teams don't do a great job yet of really analyzing dollar value of players. This is a good example; a player like Matthews on an AAV north of $12m makes it really hard to build the rest of the team.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

I feel like NHL teams don't do a great job yet of really analyzing dollar value of players. This is a good example; a player like Matthews on an AAV north of $12m makes it really hard to build the rest of the team.

Auston Matthews for....wait for it....

Letang and Kessel.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

That article is the worst example of analytics over common sense I've ever seen. Sure it might make some sense from a statistical perspective to move on from Matthews, but why? The article even suggests moving him for high picks and prospects which, in a best case scenario, just shunts the problem down the line and might (with an incredible degree of luck) result in the team finding another Auston Matthews level player.

A much more reasonable solution would be to find a realistic cap number for Matthews (probably $11Mish) and build the team and brand around him. The Leafs are a business first and foremost. I guess they could deliberately sink their value by trading their most popular and recognizable player during the team's first stretch of success in a decade or more because of some abstract long term cap issues, but I'm not sure why they'd want to piss away the ounce of good will they'd finally managed to eke out of their fan base.

"We had to move Matthews because his cost somewhat exceeds his on ice contributions if you look at it through this particular lens" is a pretty hard sell and I think the fans would rightly revolt at the mere suggestion.

Auston Matthews at $12M a season isn't going to kill the team. It's deals like Marleau at $6.25M and Hainsey at $3M that will give them fits. Make your best player happy, sign him to a reasonable contract and go from there. You can penny pinch in other areas. Don't overthink managing the cap. The Pens did just fine with Sid and Geno at as high a cap percentage, ditto the Hawks with Toews/Kane.

I get that article was going for page clicks and controversy! but man was it bad.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 11, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ThinkTank posted:

That article is the worst example of analytics over common sense I've ever seen. Sure it might make some sense from a statistical perspective to move on from Matthews, but why? The article even suggests moving him for high picks and prospects which, in a best case scenario, just shunts the problem down the line and might (with an incredible degree of luck) result in the team finding another Auston Matthews level player.

A much more reasonable solution would be to find a realistic cap number for Matthews (probably $11Mish) and build the team and brand around him. The Leafs are a business first and foremost. I guess they could deliberately sink their value by trading their most popular and recognizable player during the team's first stretch of success in a decade or more because of some abstract long term cap issues, but I'm not sure why they'd want to piss away the ounce of good will they'd finally managed to eke out of their fan base.

"We had to move Matthews because his cost somewhat exceeds his on ice contributions if you look at it through this particular lens" is a pretty hard sell and I think the fans would rightly revolt at the mere suggestion.

Auston Matthews at $12M a season isn't going to kill the team. It's deals like Marleau at $6.25M and Hainsey at $3M that will give them fits. Make your best player happy, sign him to a reasonable contract and go from there. You can penny pinch in other areas. Don't overthink managing the cap. The Pens did just fine with Sid and Geno at as high a cap percentage, ditto the Hawks with Toews/Kane.

I get that article was going for page clicks and controversy! but man was it bad.

Ken Holland, is that you?

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 11, 2018

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Shinjobi posted:

Happy for Klingberg. He makes a lot of boneheaded mistakes sometimes, but his selection to the all star team is a pleasant surprise. He's not a traditional defenseman by any means, so I'm surprised he got the nod this year.

Klingberg is one of the most fun players to watch. Yeah, he gets burned a lot, but it's as a result of his style of play which leads to him leading all d-men in points.

Shinjobi posted:

Cool for Seguin too, but I'm sure he's bored by the all star game by now.

He's an all-star player. No doubt. But does he fit the all-star culture?

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 11, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If they could get a legit top D in addition to a boatload of prospects and picks back, I think the move would make some sense.

On the other hand, not too sure who that would be, because you’d also need that D to be cost controlled or you’d defeating the purpose of the whole exercise.

If they overpay for Matthews this summer how will they overpay for Doughty next summer?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

iospace posted:

Two things here.

1. Army does sanction hockey, Division-I to be exact.
2. It's the Army Black Knights, which could be a point in Vegas's favor here.

The owner literally said "we can't be the black knights because there's the black hawks, so we went with golden knights because of the army parachute team". That's, uh, really bad

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

iospace posted:

Ken Holland, is that you?

:agesilaus:

Jordan7hm posted:

If they could get a legit top D in addition to a boatload of prospects and picks back, I think the move would make some sense.

I mean the obvious implication from the article is that Arizona would want him and OEL+ would be coming back the other way as a way to satisfy their fan base. I just don't see why the Leafs would even consider moving a guy who makes so much money for them. The only Leafs jersey you see anyone wear in and around the city is Matthews these days. They'd have to be pretty drat sure that moving him would turn them into an instant cup favourite (and actually deliver on that). If it didn't work out, they'd likely lose a generation of fans. The much safer (and sensible) move is to just stick with Matthews and cross their fingers. Leafs fans have been pretty happy with a slow move towards success. Trying to fix things quickly was the calling card of the dark ages for them. I think there would be little to no patience for something like that.

I realize it's a theoretical argument as it won't ever happen, but there are business considerations to this that the article doesn't even begin to take into account.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Bob says there’s a “more than 50% chance” the Sens trade Hoffman this year.

I look forward to all of Dorion’s interviews next year where he talks about how hard it is to find a top 6 winger to play with Duchene.

Seriously, unless this team is going for a full-out rebuild, it makes no sense to trade their second best winger, who is on a reasonable cap hit and is signed for 2 more years. He’s also not even going to get close to fair value - Hoffman’s something like 22nd in the league in ES production over the past few years, but he’s never really talked about as a top forward.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I haven't been paying attention to trade rumors for a while now. Is there actually any talk of trading Matthews or was this just a clickbait/fun hypothetical type of article?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Porty on The Athletic when asked about how the CBJ and Torts would handle the upcoming date with the Vegas Flu. Jackets will go to Vegas the Saturday before their Tuesday game, but, when asked about logistics about trips to "party cities" like Vancouver or Nashville:

quote:

Tortorella does just the opposite. They spend many nights after games on the road. They have no curfews. They just took an entire day off in Toronto. I’m paraphrasing, but Tortorella has explained it like this: “If you can’t trust them, they shouldn’t be on the bus in the first place.” Hell, he gave the team his credit card last season and told them to go have a blast!

The dollar value the players ran up on Torts' credit card is a piece of information I'd love to have in my life but will never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

4 day break after 5 day break is really dumb but it falls in a good place for the players there.

• Locked thread