Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

This is inviting disaster when they forget their phone someday...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

This is inviting disaster when they forget their phone someday...

Yeah no way I'm trusting that feature.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

They already do this on the mac.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

So a drive on one of our unofficial servers died - it makes a weird noise that sounds like a POST beep code, but must be the arm or disk spinning up for a second and then failing. There is some unessential but valuable information on the disk which was not backed because you guys, we all work in IT of course it wasn't backed up.

I've tried freezing it, which at least allowed the BIOS to proceed, but once I'm in Windows the disk shows up as uninitialised and I'm pretty sure if I initialise it that blows away any partitions that are there. The weirdest thing is that it shows up as a 3.8TB capacity disk when it clearly has 2000GB printed on it.
Do I have any options other than intialising and hoping that gets the information back?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Remember to always do Win+D before Win+L, because you never know what rear end in a top hat will be looking over your shoulder when you unlock your computer.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

We have lovely Wyse terminals (my boss decided to give away our PCs and go with the terminals just to spite the PC team) so I use ctrl+alt+left arrow to lock instead of windows+l. Although win+l would still lock the server I RDP to, just not the terminal itself.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Ghostlight posted:

So a drive on one of our unofficial servers died - it makes a weird noise that sounds like a POST beep code, but must be the arm or disk spinning up for a second and then failing. There is some unessential but valuable information on the disk which was not backed because you guys, we all work in IT of course it wasn't backed up.

I've tried freezing it, which at least allowed the BIOS to proceed, but once I'm in Windows the disk shows up as uninitialised and I'm pretty sure if I initialise it that blows away any partitions that are there. The weirdest thing is that it shows up as a 3.8TB capacity disk when it clearly has 2000GB printed on it.
Do I have any options other than intialising and hoping that gets the information back?

Wouldn’t your best bet be a data recovery service at this point and hope for the best?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

if you think pressing 'initialize' has any hope whatsoever of magically getting your data back, you might want to consider a different career path.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Data recovery has been ruled out because it was unessential, but it was used as a dumping ground so I had some web documentation there and my coworker had some D&D campaign stuff that's kind of a pain to lose but not enough to pay out of pocket for recovery.

loving seagates.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Something something backups.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So which one of you guys had money on Joe the Warehouse Guy claiming solemnly that it wasn't him who changed the quantities, not him, couldn't be? And the managers insisting to me in a torrent of emails that surely this means there's something wrong with my software and maybe it's, I don't know, automatically changing values on its own and inserting spurious log entries under Joe's name at random times unrelated to any other system events because of "a bug"?

I swear to god they are sending me screenshots of every single product quantity discrepancy they've found (it's over a dozen by now), including screenshots of the logs, each one showing Joe making the exact manual override change that results in the discrepancy they're scratching their heads over, and telling me "there is definitely something funky going on in the IMS".

There is literally no other pathway to get the log message they're seeing, other than "Joe, or someone logged in using Joe's credentials, changed the quantity from 23 to 22". But Joe says he didn't do it, so now they can't trust the software and they're going to have me build in some new kind of crazy multi-level permissions scheme, and that's if they accept that it's actually the result of someone doing something they shouldn't be and not just the software going crazy and altering numbers randomly and carefully logging it under some poor innocent warehouse guy's name

:cripes:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol you're dead.

You have died an now are a ghost. Congrats

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Our CRM is both tab based and cloud based and Java based. Some tabs take ten seconds to load up. Most people know to leave these tabs open in the background to save time.

One site with a front desk of crotchety old people had no idea about tabs and used three separate computers for front desk work. They would run from one computer to the next to do different functions.

I told them about tabs, showed them how they worked, demonstrated how it saves time, and each one looked at me like I was the stupidest loving person on the planet to suggest this as a solution.

"We need new computers that load faster". No, the constraint also exist in the cloud and with Java and bandwidth. "We need better internet, then". You have the best computer : Mbps ratio of the entire org. "We can't do this. It won't work.". Ok then! Bye!
This lil microcosm can be used to explain how you get a whole group or nation on board with a dumb idea. Except the CEO is the populous, and the user is the dumb charasmstic leader

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KoRMaK posted:

Lol you're dead.

You have died an now are a ghost. Congrats

I am the ghost in the machine who makes spurious inventory changes :iiam:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Just disable manual edits.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I would but they gotta do that in the office too.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Make everyone use 2fa to make edits using one of those RSA random key generators. Think of the upsell!

But yes just like, sit them down and have a heart to heart or hire a friggen client manager to walk them through this inanity. Lock Joe's account out from editing. Make edits that Joe does require approval from someone else. make sure there isn't a bug where there could be another path to make this happen, and give them proof. Demo the proof if need be

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 11, 2018

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Just disable manual edits.

Do it up finance style instead - Joe takes a mandatory 6 week vacation. if we see any manual inventory changes we know it's not him. If everything mysteriously stops being fucky, guess who doesn't have to come back to work and also has an investigation started.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

teamdest posted:

Do it up finance style instead - Joe takes a mandatory 6 week vacation. if we see any manual inventory changes we know it's not him. If everything mysteriously stops being fucky, guess who doesn't have to come back to work and also has an investigation started.

That's what I was thinking too, that's how I'd handle it.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Hungry Computer posted:

:same:

Then sometimes I accidentally try it on a win7 machines :eng99:

I support more win7 than 10. But do all my labbing and personal projects on 2016. I do this all the goddam time and it drives me loving nuts. Has anyone made a little app that replicates the 10/2016 win+x behavior on 7?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Data Graham posted:

Run screen capture software on his terminal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Data Graham posted:

Just deny his specific account the ability to make manual edits. And don't tell anyone you did.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just deny his specific account the ability to make manual edits. And don't tell anyone you did.

Ooh I like this one.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Make it so any inventory change results in an transaction being booked as "inventory adjustment" and sent up the order chain for approval.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Best suggestion yet :toot:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Collateral Damage posted:

Make it so any inventory change results in an transaction being booked as "inventory adjustment" and sent up the order chain for approval.

There'd still be the same leeway and befuddled headscratching that it's "the system" at fault.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Heh. Tempting. But I think what I’ll end up doing is caving and making a “can manually adjust quantities” permission bit, the first I’m sure of a thousand

(And I’ll still log attempts)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This is one of the advantages of web software, because you have independent HTTP logs which carry a lot more convincing PII like source IP and browser.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Data Graham posted:

Heh. Tempting. But I think what I’ll end up doing is caving and making a “can manually adjust quantities” permission bit, the first I’m sure of a thousand

(And I’ll still log attempts)

Better suggestion.; Hardcode your system to eat Joe's edits. Log the attempt, make it look like it went through for him if you can, don't actually update the data. Let's see how well that goes when the numbers won't actually add up.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Does he do it from the same computer each time? Point a camera right at it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

rafikki posted:

Does he do it from the same computer each time? Point a camera right at it.

If I remember anything from my warehouse support days there are 6 people logging in as Joe on 8 different computers because 'it's easier'. Easier than what, nobody knows.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If I remember anything from my warehouse support days there are 6 people logging in as Joe on 8 different computers because 'it's easier'. Easier than what, nobody knows.

Some of my customers print barcoded credentials on a sticker that they put in their shop floor PCs. One of those stickers, with the plaintext clearly legible, made it into one of my company's marketing videos. :ughh:

I spotted it before anyone noticed and used them, but the marketing team had the vid on the corporate YouTube channel for two months before they sent it to us. It then took two days after I raised the alarm for them to take the video down.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hello thread I have been on the phone with Cisco for nearly a half hour trying to get this TAC raised to sev 1.

Good thing this ticket isn't critical or anything :thunk:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Nth Doctor posted:

Some of my customers print barcoded credentials on a sticker that they put in their shop floor PCs. One of those stickers, with the plaintext clearly legible, made it into one of my company's marketing videos. :ughh:

I spotted it before anyone noticed and used them, but the marketing team had the vid on the corporate YouTube channel for two months before they sent it to us. It then took two days after I raised the alarm for them to take the video down.

Do you work for a large automotive parts supplier software company?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jaded Burnout posted:

I have a persistent memory of selling a car and the guy typed google into his address bar which searched google for google, clicked it, then searched "yahoo", then clicked the result, then searched for the thing he was looking for. I was aghast.

HOLY poo poo THERE IS MORE THAN ONE PERSON WHO HAS DONE THIS?!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
My mother in law refuses to go straight to any website. She'll Google the company she's looking for, and after that will look for the browser history link to that Google search.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
My dad was guilty of this for the longest time as well. Their browser's homepage was set to Google, so my dad would open up the browser, type the URL he wanted into the Google search bar instead of the address bar, hit enter, and click the first result. Now he mostly remembers to use the address bar and cut out the middle man.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I wonder if Yahoo keeps metrics on how often their site is used to find Google.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

My dad was guilty of this for the longest time as well. Their browser's homepage was set to Google, so my dad would open up the browser, type the URL he wanted into the Google search bar instead of the address bar, hit enter, and click the first result. Now he mostly remembers to use the address bar and cut out the middle man.

My Dad (rest in peace) had a DPhil from Oxford and would never listen to me to stop that. I would warn him and warn him he risked going to spam imposter sites, but, would he listen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
A bunch of tickets came in: Some of our Win10 1607 machines have started automatically downloading and installing the 1709 update despite it not being approved on WSUS, and these PCs were set by GP to only install security updates, and the update is installing outside of the update window set by group policy. Thanks Microsoft :thumbsup: