Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Another visit to Costco Japan! Chicken Provolone sandwich has been replaced by Chicken Bake, they also have a really good jelly bean chocolate bark now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

Croatoan posted:

I'm going tomorrow to get glasses. I've never gotten glasses at Costco. Is it rad? I bet it's rad. I'm also gonna get a dog and drink combo.

Kirkland frames are super cheap, and even though you can find cheaper deals online, the service/quality is so much better. I fell asleep wearing a pair of glasses (a yearly thing for me), broke the frames, asked them if they could repair but they just gave me a brand new set for free. They're also good at telling you what frames fit your face, if you hate making decisions.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Croatoan posted:

I'm going tomorrow to get glasses. I've never gotten glasses at Costco. Is it rad? I bet it's rad. I'm also gonna get a dog and drink combo.

As nice as Costco is, why wouldn't you use something like Zenni?

I'll get my eye exams there (independent contractor) and get contacts. No glasses though.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Does Costco also handle ordering of contact lenses? I wear glasses at night and then daily disposable contacts. I need an eye exam and all that too.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
repost but a good repost

https://americanaffairsjournal.org/2017/11/western-elite-chinese-perspective/

coolguy posted:

To me, Costco represents the best of American capitalism. It is a corporation known for having its customers and employees in mind, while at the same time it has compensated its shareholders handsomely over the years. To the customers, it offers the best combination of quality and low cost. Whenever it manages to reduce costs, it passes the savings on to customers immediately. Achieving a 10 percent gross margin with prices below Amazon’s is truly incredible. After I had been there once, I found it hard to shop elsewhere.

Meanwhile, its salaries are much higher than similar retail jobs. When the recession hit in 2008, the company increased salaries to help employees cope with the difficult environment. From the name tags the staff wear, I have seen that frontline employees work there for decades, something hard to imagine elsewhere.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Tim Whatley posted:

Does Costco also handle ordering of contact lenses? I wear glasses at night and then daily disposable contacts. I need an eye exam and all that too.

Our Costco has a separate optometrist with an office in the store, you do not need a membership to visit them and they are not employed by Costco, she just runs her practice in there. Something about Costco and memberships and medical services, I assume it's like the pharmacy.
You get an exam, get a prescription and then walk out of the office to the Costco optical right outside and order your stuff out there be it glasses or contacts, or both!
I do the same thing you do, glasses at night and disposables during the day. I get it all at Costco.

SirPablo posted:

As nice as Costco is, why wouldn't you use something like Zenni?

I'll get my eye exams there (independent contractor) and get contacts. No glasses though.

Zenni isn't that much cheaper, especially because you can try on the frames while at Costco. Costco frames are only a bit more than Zenni.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

KakerMix posted:

Our Costco has a separate optometrist with an office in the store, you do not need a membership to visit them and they are not employed by Costco, she just runs her practice in there. Something about Costco and memberships and medical services, I assume it's like the pharmacy.
You get an exam, get a prescription and then walk out of the office to the Costco optical right outside and order your stuff out there be it glasses or contacts, or both!
I do the same thing you do, glasses at night and disposables during the day. I get it all at Costco.

Zenni isn't that much cheaper, especially because you can try on the frames while at Costco. Costco frames are only a bit more than Zenni.

I don't know about that man. I just bought some Zenni glasses. They were 10 dollars plus 5 dollars shipping. The minimum you are spending at costco is 100 bucks. That said I know what shape frames I want and my prescription isn't some weird poo poo.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

quote:

Meanwhile, its salaries are much higher than similar retail jobs. When the recession hit in 2008, the company increased salaries to help employees cope with the difficult environment.

Fuckin’ Tim Horton’s needs to take note of this.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for the Costco advice. If I'm paying minimum $100 at Costco, I'll take it. My last frames were $350 (Ray Bans, cheapest pair in the goddamn store) and a year of daily contacts was another $350 after insurance, though I have way better insurance now.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I have been getting glasses and contacts for my whole family since the mid-90's (when I was on my step dads membership)
Yes you can now find them slightly cheaper online, but you will not get near the service as having an actual Optometrist on site (independent) and very knowledgeable optical employees.
Scratched lens, replacement, no cost. Bent frame, replacement, no cost (usually). $35 frames? Yes. $200 frames (Why?) Yes.
Also there are usually coupons for buy 1 set, get the second $40 off or something. And any of their frames can be made into rx sunglasses. They also have brand name non-rx sunglasses on site.
My son even had +7 lenses made when he was young (think coke bottle) for no extra charge. The optical folks worked directly with the local optical depot to custom order them. Sears wanted over $400 just for the poly carb lenses.
In my opinion the optical services are one of the best perks of membership overall.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Trip report! So me, my wife and my daughter all got glasses. They got transitions and my wife apparently now needs bifocals (teehee) so she upgraded to progressives so overall before insurance it was like $600. We ended up paying just under $300. They seem like really nice quality and if you don’t spring for upgrades like me, mine were like $80 total before insurance. The optometrist was a really funny and cool lady from Israel who got a phone call from her husband and proceeded to curse him out in the middle of my exam. It was pretty amusing.

Brazi bites weren’t in stock so I’m hoping that was just a temporary thing because I want easy to make pao de queijo dammit!

Also I fed a family of four for $10 in the food court.

PBUC

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

We don't have Costco where I live, forcing me into a life of sin. I am moving in feb though and the first thing I'm buying is a membership when I get there.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Navin Johnson posted:

We don't have Costco where I live, forcing me into a life of sin. I am moving in feb though and the first thing I'm buying is a membership when I get there.

shop online friend, the deals are everywhere

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'd rather buy 10 frames/lenses for $300 than one frame/lenses for $300. Different styles, don't care if they break, leave them in different places, etc. But whatever. Like I said, I do pick up my contacts there.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

SirPablo posted:

I'd rather buy 10 frames/lenses for $300 than one frame/lenses for $300. Different styles, don't care if they break, leave them in different places, etc. But whatever. Like I said, I do pick up my contacts there.

It would have been way cheaper had they not gone for upgrades and the necessary bifocals! Fear not! Costco will always do you right!

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

shop online friend, the deals are everywhere

I DO shop online. This thread has me jonesin!

Navin Johnson fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 7, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Wait costco optical bills insurance now?

Edit: Trip report: Clackamas Costco still advertises and serves the Polish. I feed me and the kids +refill for $4.50. It's good to take sacrament again after so long.

therobit fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 7, 2018

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I've used Costco Optical in the Japanese stores but I think the prices and process here is completely different since insurance doesn't cover eyecare in this country and they use domestic lenses so the options are different. Usually the "designer" frames are around $100-150 (including Ray Bans), and the normal ones are around $50, and the lenses are also another $40 (although you can add things like bifocals or anti-blue light coating to increase the price). I picked up 3 pairs from them, 2 titanium Police brand and one lesser brand, one of them I put transitions in, total cost was around $600 (the transitions are around $200 by themselves though so that inflated it). I don't know how competitive this is with other Japanese retailers since I've only bought glasses from Costco, but people online seem to say that the frames are a great deal there.

Sites like Zenni seem cheap but I've heard varying things online, that the frames are cheap and break easily and I've also heard that their prescriptions can be "within standard", so I'm worried about paying for a pair and seeing that the prescription is slightly different from my normal ones which would be a huge nuisance and people say returns to Zenni can be a hassle. I wear my glasses for a long time and have never had them break or whatever, so I might as well just pay a bit more for the guaranteed quality and if something does happen I know Costco will have my back.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Dreamin bout them dogs. Probably gonna partake in sacrament tomorrow. Will report back to let you know if they still have communion at its normal price.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Bout to buy those Kirkland seaweed snacks for the office

Gonna be the coolest guy in the snack kitchen.

Loveline
Dec 30, 2005

Just bought my third (and king size) sherpa blanket. PBUC.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I tried to buy the sherpa last week and they seemed to be sold out.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

We got Kirkland Signature sheets from this thread’s recommendation and I can confirm they are excellent.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

they were sampling some ravioli and it was banging

I didnt buy it and now I regret it

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
can confirm that CO Costcos have burgs at the foodcourt. I didn't try it though regrettably as I was in a hurry.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Man I can't believe how cheap alcohol is at costco. A bottle of Oban 14 yr at costco is $56 versus the $80 at the liquor store I normally go to. Wild! I bought a handle of the kirkland brand blended scotch for $18 and its actually pretty good.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

EAB posted:

Man I can't believe how cheap alcohol is at costco. A bottle of Oban 14 yr at costco is $56 versus the $80 at the liquor store I normally go to. Wild! I bought a handle of the kirkland brand blended scotch for $18 and its actually pretty good.

Try the Kirkland 12 year. It's mad decent for the price.

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
Are there any Costcos in the Colorado area that sell liquor? Curse this state's limits on the one true god of savings.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Commissar Of Doom posted:

Are there any Costcos in the Colorado area that sell liquor? Curse this state's limits on the one true god of savings.

Yep Wadsworth and Quincy.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xOxXmyPD0I

(English captions available)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

holy poo poo lmao

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

This was really funny.

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby
I got the executive membership last year cause they had a drink cooler giveaway if you signed up. I only spend maybe $1000 a year at most so the 2% return doesn't make up for the cost difference. Should I just suck it up and start buying a bunch of stuff or should I just go get the downgrade and have the difference refunded?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I went today and one of the free samples was for this sea-salt brownie brittle snack thing and holy poo poo it was amazing. I bought a big bag for $5.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Costco ravioli and a Costco pesto sauce with a Costco salad is a pro tier dinner any night.

And lunch the next day, if you can’t partake the sacrament.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Oh Adaira posted:

I got the executive membership last year cause they had a drink cooler giveaway if you signed up. I only spend maybe $1000 a year at most so the 2% return doesn't make up for the cost difference. Should I just suck it up and start buying a bunch of stuff or should I just go get the downgrade and have the difference refunded?

There’s the reasonable adult answer and then there is the answer you’d expect from a thread that worships consumerism with a communion of dollar fiddy dog and drink (plus refill)

The only real question is when we submit your name to the costco inquistorial squad, heathen

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Fellis posted:

There’s the reasonable adult answer and then there is the answer you’d expect from a thread that worships consumerism with a communion of dollar fiddy dog and drink (plus refill)

The only real question is when we submit your name to the costco inquistorial squad, heathen

I demand a full tribunal for this worm

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ultimate Mango posted:

Costco ravioli and a Costco pesto sauce with a Costco salad is a pro tier dinner any night.

And lunch the next day, if you can’t partake the sacrament.

Three ravioli really doesn't need anything more than butter and nutmeg.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Argyle posted:

Try the Kirkland 12 year. It's mad decent for the price.

Would you also say the 12 year is "hella tight" for the price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Taima posted:

Would you also say the 12 year is "hella tight" for the price?

I believe it is classified under federal law as "The bomb dot com"