Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Quote edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

This is fantastic!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Marksman looks like he's got a solid frame to add weight to in a way that KP doesn't.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Doltos posted:

Spo's absolutely a really good coach. He's been getting huge production out of the random wing spots on the Heat for two years now. They also haven't given him anything to work with besides Dragic and resigning Whtieside. The problem is that the Heat are stuck in this hopeless mediocrity for draft picks and no free agents are signing with them. So Spo's pretty much stuck willing his team to playoff or near playoff finishes without ever getting that big named player.

Still though anyone who can make a cast of Ellington, Johnson & Johnson, Waiters, and Richardson look great then there's gotta be something there.

The Heat's biggest strength is that their starters and bench play at about the same quality level, so when one player goes down there's little to no drop off in production.

Their biggest weakness is no player playing above that level. So when you need to lean on a star to score for you they don't have a guy who can do that.

Edit: Dipo was frightening in the game today. Give that man some space and he will WILL his way to the rim. Crazy how he's developed. Always been a fan of his.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Lauri Markkanen Says Phil Jackson Made Him Eat Raw Meat During Draft Process

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

I like that he couldn't tell if it was raw fish or beef.

Which are both good when prepared correctly.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Strawberry Panda posted:

I like that he couldn't tell if it was raw fish or beef.

Which are both good when prepared correctly.

But are not easily confused for each other.

I though KP as a rookie was better as an active defender than Lauri, he was more Ibaka-like. And when Lauri's shot stalls out I think he has less to lean on than KP did as a rookie, although it's still early in the season and that stuff builds up relatively quickly.

KP's development has stalled out though, which might be more a product of environment than him, so I'm excited to see how Lauri develops out and then rips the heart out of Bulls fans.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I love the NBA

https://streamable.com/izq2d

Butler on Steven Adams

quote:

"That mother fucker is strong! Like, I’m serious. He hit me with one screen today, and I thought my life was over. Seriously. He’s like from Krypton or something. He’s strong. I’m gonna call him in here and let him set a screen on you."Highlights

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Lockback posted:

I though KP as a rookie was better as an active defender than Lauri, he was more Ibaka-like. And when Lauri's shot stalls out I think he has less to lean on than KP did as a rookie, although it's still early in the season and that stuff builds up relatively quickly.

KP's development has stalled out though, which might be more a product of environment than him, so I'm excited to see how Lauri develops out and then rips the heart out of Bulls fans.

Is the environment that the Knicks have expectations and the Bulls don't?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bruno Caboclo is a net plus 80 this year per basketball reference. That's impressive.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

I love the NBA

https://streamable.com/izq2d

Butler on Steven Adams

https://twitter.com/thedailywolf/status/951301608360611841

Guys I think I'm falling in love with Jimmy Butler

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

Is the environment that the Knicks have expectations and the Bulls don't?

Actually, sort of? Winning games and developing players aren't always the same thing. Playing next to Carmelo meant the Knicks were very focused on the Ws, and I don't think it was a super healthy team environment the first couple years.

Anyone want some Timberwolves stats? After the Win yesterday the Wolves are 17th in DRTG, meaning they've climbed from one of the worst defenses in the league to average. In small sample size, they have been a top-5 defense the last 10 games, and their top 5 offense has been holding steady. While they are not great at keeping the opponent eFG% low, they've made up for it by being one of the best in the league at keeping teams off the line.

Their record against the West is 22-6, which is the best in the league, though against the East their 5-10 record is kind of puzzling. SRS (which is a decent predictor of future success, though I find "wins" to frequently be better) has them as 5th in the league, though the gap probably means they are the best team that's not a real contender (GSW, Hou, Bos, Tor are above. Cleveland gets a free pass into contender status).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

While they are not great at keeping the opponent eFG% low, they've made up for it by being one of the best in the league at keeping teams off the line.

I haven't seen anyone mention this and it kind of shocks me: The Wolves are the fifth best team at not turning the ball over and the #1 team in the league at forcing them (and if you use TOV% they're second on offense and third on defense.). When you're getting more possessions per game it doesn't matter as much if your opponent is shooting slightly better.

I'm not sure how to check that stuff for the last X games but in December they were first by a mile (+4.5 with the #2 team being at +2.9)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Dwight Buycks has hit like three different career highs since the Pistons brought him up from the G-League

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

I don't think Lauri's problem is activity on defense. Lauri seems like an active defender he's not as instinctual as KP was. But he seemingly wants to defend and tries. But he just gets moved around easily.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention this and it kind of shocks me: The Wolves are the fifth best team at not turning the ball over and the #1 team in the league at forcing them (and if you use TOV% they're second on offense and third on defense.). When you're getting more possessions per game it doesn't matter as much if your opponent is shooting slightly better.

I'm not sure how to check that stuff for the last X games but in December they were first by a mile (+4.5 with the #2 team being at +2.9)
Well the last 10 games, we're +4.9 in turnovers and nobody else is even sniffing +4

https://twitter.com/Twolves_PR/status/951473827640377346

:eyepop:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

I don't think Lauri's problem is activity on defense. Lauri seems like an active defender he's not as instinctual as KP was. But he seemingly wants to defend and tries. But he just gets moved around easily.

That's a better way of putting it. By active I don't mean athletic, I mean KP is ALWAYS THERE when there's a play anywhere near him, even if he doesn't defend it 100% properly. Lauri seems like he's more frequently pulled out of the play or caught flat-footed. Not at all unusual for a rookie, but I think they'll be different defensively even if they both end up good.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

scuz posted:

Well the last 10 games, we're +4.9 in turnovers and nobody else is even sniffing +4

That Boston DRTG makes me so happy. If they ever figure out how to score the basketball they'll be a good team

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

scuz posted:

Holy poo poo that Boston defense.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lockback posted:

That's a better way of putting it. By active I don't mean athletic, I mean KP is ALWAYS THERE when there's a play anywhere near him, even if he doesn't defend it 100% properly. Lauri seems like he's more frequently pulled out of the play or caught flat-footed. Not at all unusual for a rookie, but I think they'll be different defensively even if they both end up good.

Lauri is also very much a 4 defensively at this point. He's more comfortable on the perimeter than in the post, and while his on-ball defense has looked mostly alright (he moves his feet good!) he doesn't seem to have any instincts for how to help.

The Portis/Markkanen and Niko/Markkenen lineups give up a whole lot of easy layups because neither big is remotely a capable rim protector

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Dexo probably posted this but I'm posting Lauri's poster again because it makes me so happy

https://streamable.com/1nhi9

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status/951153455229427712

Steph and Durant Tattoo while wearing LeBron's high school jersey

This might just be the most simpish thing I have ever loving seen.

The most lightskinned thing I have ever witnessed

Peak Drake.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Drake and LeBron are basically the same exact person in different careers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

LeBron doesn't need ghost basketball players.

Free PartyNextDoor from Drake's dungeon.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

LeBron doesn't need ghost basketball players.

Free PartyNextDoor from Drake's dungeon.

RCarr is kinda right in a way though, Lebron is a Packers/Yankees etc fan. The woke fan knows no geological boundaries

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Cool Buff Man posted:

RCarr is kinda right in a way though, Lebron is a Packers/Yankees etc fan. The woke fan knows no geological boundaries

thats why next year i will be a sixers fan

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Drake is so thirsty for basketball players is what it is.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ghost Dog posted:

thats why next year i will be a sixers fan

I'm gonna grow up to be a Sixers fan

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Ghost Dog posted:

thats why next year i will be a steelers fan

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

In his defense growing up is he supposed to suffer as a Browns/Indians fan because ehhhhhhh

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I thought Bron was That Yankees / Cowboys guy?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

In his defense growing up is he supposed to suffer as a Browns/Indians fan because ehhhhhhh

Hahaha yeah that's also true

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Yea Cowboys, Lil wayne is the packers/lakers/whatever guy, my bad

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/DwyaneWade/status/951480734539272193

lmao

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Of course he is

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lmao didn't the young guys loving hate Wade?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lmao didn't the young guys loving hate Wade?

https://twitter.com/BullsBlogger/status/951482448663207936

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Watching washed up Wade tarnish his legacy in real time is both disappointing and extremely satisfying.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rondo told him to post that

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm gonna grow up to be a Sixers fan

You will be a very good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Does "putting on some weight" actually like, do something for bigs? Markkanen already looks pretty big to me. How big should he be? What is the comp? Or is it just code for getting stronger. Pretty much every big in the league right now is trying to slim down in an effort to improve their longevity.

• Locked thread