Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Apparently his performance is the major thing LucasFilm are super happy with so yeah either someone’s conflating that with his character in Hail, Caesar! or just making poo poo up

I had heard the same thing (that they didn't like Solo's actor ) and that they didn't like Emilia Clarke's performance. The guy playing Han I have no idea but I can easily buy them regretting casting Clarke. She is a bad actress coasting on her looks and her character in Game of Thrones being portrayed as super awesome and being surrounded by great actors in that show most of the time. I haven't seen everything she's done so I could be wrong but I wouldn't even cast her in a role similar to Dany from GoT.

I also don't know what they were expecting from Miller/Lord when they were apparently angry and surprised it was "too comedic." Not only is it what they do they are pretty great at it. I also think a Han Solo movie shouldn't just be a Star Wars movie centered on Han Solo, it should have more of what people like about the character even when he's not on screen. So a Han Solo movie should be a fun and cool madcap adventure/crime movie, and a Boba Fett movie should be more like a thriller with a lot of understated badass moments and a few cool actions pieces, and an Obi-Wan movie would be a drama centered on hard-won wisdom, maybe a bit more like a Western in terms of plot with a reluctant lightsaber-slinger hero. Or if you don't like those examples pretend I said something better. If they just make every movie the same tone, atmosphere, and plot then people will get tired of them pretty quick. They wouldn't have to be THAT different but there should be a marked difference.

Anyway since this is TV chat not movie chat I'll also ask: is "dramedy" still a codeword for "bad show that tries to be a drama and comedy and instead of doing both it does neither" or have their been some good ones I've missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Metropolis posted:

Anyway since this is TV chat not movie chat I'll also ask: is "dramedy" still a codeword for "bad show that tries to be a drama and comedy and instead of doing both it does neither" or have their been some good ones I've missed?

I feel like the shows I'd most recommend in that vein are just solidly written shows. You're The Worst comes to mind as a series that's very much a comedy but with well written arcs that go to some intimate places over the seasons.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Who's ready for :siren::regd08::siren:A NEW MOTHAFUCKIN ZACK BRAFF DRAMEDY:siren::regd08:

This show is so Meta it's at risk of crawling up it's own rear end. A startup TV show that documents the making of a podcast that documents the starting up of a start up that would become a media company that eventually sells the rights to it's story for a TV show.

I'm surprised no one has done a podcast about it.

(Gimlet is pretty cool and I love a bunch of their shows).

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Metropolis posted:

If that's your definition of dramedy do you have a different word for a TV show that is "Good TV show that seamlessly blends both drama and comedy to great effect"?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is fringe streaming anywhere? I have S5 on amazon from buying the season pass when it first aired but I want to rewatch it again.

If it isn’t, anyone know a good place to buy some box sets? Fringe is up there with Terriers and the Leftovers for me in terms of all time great shows.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is fringe streaming anywhere? I have S5 on amazon from buying the season pass when it first aired but I want to rewatch it again.

If it isn’t, anyone know a good place to buy some box sets? Fringe is up there with Terriers and the Leftovers for me in terms of all time great shows.
If you're in the US or have a VPN, it's free to stream on go90.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gobbeldygook posted:

If you're in the US or have a VPN, it's free to stream on go90.

I’m in the US, so thank you!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Metropolis posted:

Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul have been described as dramedies by some.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Breaking Bad has like 4 funny scenes in the whole series

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why would anyone describe th-that’s so silly

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Just started watching The Good Place and I really regret sleeping on this show

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mu Zeta posted:

Breaking Bad has like 4 funny scenes in the whole series

Really? I think the entire thing is laced with black comedy. It's at times stronger as a comedy than as a drama, but rarely.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I have been watching some of Great News and am surprised I hadn't heard much from the people at SA. It's pretty much a spiritual successor to 30 Rock and Kimmy Schmidt, with Tina Fey producing it and the head writer being 30 Rock alumni. Although it's a little bit more generic, each episode has one or two gags that really catch me off guard.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just finished The Good Wife, that was a pretty odd way to end a show, but I guess it did spin off into another show afterwards. My final thoughts on the series is that it greatly suffered from insisting on being an ensemble show despite everyone's constantly shifting allegiances and employment statuses, which meant that even when the main character was no longer working at the same firm or running for office, every episode still had to contrive a way to include the big players from the original firm in every episode, and that the untwisting of fates leading people back together were incredibly predictable. It also gave things a pretty tiresome soap opera feeling where someone could turn from friend to enemy and back in two episodes or less. The side characters are fun but the show really should've just been about Alicia and her struggles, not Alicia and Also We're Contractually Obligated To Have All Her Friends Appear Each Episode.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a network ensemble show. Not really meant for binging. Also Juliana Margulies is a huge pain in the rear end to deal with and I bet most of the problems have to do with her.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Metropolis posted:

I had heard the same thing (that they didn't like Solo's actor ) and that they didn't like Emilia Clarke's performance. The guy playing Han I have no idea but I can easily buy them regretting casting Clarke. She is a bad actress coasting on her looks and her character in Game of Thrones being portrayed as super awesome and being surrounded by great actors in that show most of the time. I haven't seen everything she's done so I could be wrong but I wouldn't even cast her in a role similar to Dany from GoT.

Clarke is a good actress horribly miscast, like she's actually way better trying to be funny than serious. That combined with the "too funny" comments makes me realize she was probably being funny and happy but they wanted GOT

She's super likeable

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 11, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Superrodan posted:

I have been watching some of Great News and am surprised I hadn't heard much from the people at SA. It's pretty much a spiritual successor to 30 Rock and Kimmy Schmidt, with Tina Fey producing it and the head writer being 30 Rock alumni. Although it's a little bit more generic, each episode has one or two gags that really catch me off guard.

Oh yeah I was actually gonna post this yesterday but I already had the last post in this thread lol

any 30 Rock fan who isn’t watching Great News is doing themselves a massive disservice. Aside from one insanely misguided episode on sexual harassment it’s been great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Metropolis posted:

I also think a Han Solo movie shouldn't just be a Star Wars movie centered on Han Solo, it should have more of what people like about the character even when he's not on screen. So a Han Solo movie should be a fun and cool madcap adventure/crime movie...

I'm getting pretty Over Star Wars these days, but the only thing I care about for that movie is them making Han a kinda lovely dude. Like, give us a Temple of Doom style prequel where he's all about fortune and glory and exploiting native peoples for their artifacts. Otherwise he has no arc in the rest of the films. Other than that I don't really care what it is as long as it's not RO/TFA-style boring.

(Then again I wish they'd left Han out of TFA and had him be the Benicio character from TLJ who got cynical after the fall of his son and fell back to his old ways. So what do I know.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Superrodan posted:

The ads for it were really bad and just on loving constantly.

I hated that show 2 months before it even aired.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Superrodan posted:

It's very good, and the episode where characters whine about political correctness is much better than every time a Fey show tried to address it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

The ads for it were really bad and just on loving constantly.

I hated that show 2 months before it even aired.
You should watch it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I knew something happened between Harmon and Megan Ganz while she was a writer on Community. A few days ago, Harmon was posting on twitter, something related to #metoo, and Ganz called him out, asking if he included himself in who he was condemning and there was this whole thing about it. Anyway, he did a full accounting and apology on his podcast this week and it's worth a listen.

https://twitter.com/meganganz/status/951373399929978881

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah we talked about it in the Community thread a bit but it’s a good, open confession and apology. It’s very good of her to forgive him, too.

One of his main points is that it’s so easy for men to not fully think about what they’re doing, which is just so drat true, from the position of someone who.....used to get infatuations far too often.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Do I have to listen to the whole thing or is there a timecode for the apology? I'm curious to hear his perspective, but

quote:

We hear about the drunk driver that hit Dan’s house, plus Jeff’s trip to India. Everyone questions Steve Levy’s doctor’s qualifications, but is glad he’s alive. While roleplaying, the gang stakes out an in-use restroom for a very, very long time.

doesn't sound interesting to me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Do I have to listen to the whole thing or is there a timecode for the apology? I'm curious to hear his perspective, but

https://twitter.com/meganganz/status/951373401339265024

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

I stopped listening to Harmontown a while back because he was just so far up his own rear end I couldn't take it anymore.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cool. Megan Ganz was on Community and I always wondered why she didn't take over the show when Harmon left, since at the time I was under the impression that she was his protege.

And yeah, Harmon is a very talented dude but he's really gotta figure out how to get over himself to make anything watchable that feels divorced from his ego.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think the saga with SOLO is fairly simple: Lawrence Kasdan wrote a script, Lord/Miller do their thing (while also actually shooting Kasdan's script), Kasdan isn't happy that they're not just shooting his script, moans about it to Kennedy who he goes way back with and tells her that they're 'ruining' the movie, arguments ensue and they leave. Disney does the whole 'let's leak stories about how unprofessional they are to the press' thing and that's it (Frank Marshall was definitely the 'close source').

This idea that Lord/Miller are secretly shooting some comedy without Disney knowing is insane. They would've been viewing dailies. To hear them spin it, they were caught off guard.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
As is my normal practice I'm getting together Youtube clips for the TVIV Poll results and I just saw the final scene of Dirk Gently and devoid of all context what the gently caress did I just see :psypop:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's insane to me that this was resolved with a public apology that was then accepted. That hasn't happened once with any of the other poo poo coming out about men in politics and entertainment. It's remarkable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's insane to me that this was resolved with a public apology that was then accepted. That hasn't happened once with any of the other poo poo coming out about men in politics and entertainment. It's remarkable.

It's mind blowing that it was Dan Harmon of all people. I really expected him to self destruct by the end of this.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FactsAreUseless posted:

Has anyone else apologized in a way that felt genuine and demonstrated actual remorse?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Y’ALL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhFM8akm9a4

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, most of these cases are about men in positions of huge power who have gotten away with abuses for years to multiple victims. Harmon basically already suffered his fall from power for his behavior and Gantz just seemed to want him to stop being full of poo poo and admit what he'd done.

I'm hesitant to really praise Harmon or anything because besides him still being the bad guy in this story and it seeming like it raises all kind of questions about Community, its cast and crew, and the stuff involving Gantz's firing and Harmon's return... doesn't he do this sort of thing all the time and then just keep being an rear end in a top hat? I mean, maybe I'm being unfair but it didn't help that his whole speech ended with "I'm going to go drink."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Joel Kinneman looks so much like Alexander Skarsgard to me, which is strange since Skarsgard is starring in Mute, Netflix's other big neo-noir, cyberpunk, Blade Runner-inspired release of (as Duncan Jones just said on Twitter today) February 2018. Maybe they're trying to have Mute ride Altered Carbon's coattails? I would say the other way around, but we've heard suspiciously little about Mute other than the trailer.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, most of these cases are about men in positions of huge power who have gotten away with abuses for years to multiple victims. Harmon basically already suffered his fall from power for his behavior and Gantz just seemed to want him to stop being full of poo poo and admit what he'd done.

I'm hesitant to really praise Harmon or anything because besides him still being the bad guy in this story and it seeming like it raises all kind of questions about Community, its cast and crew, and the stuff involving Gantz's firing and Harmon's return... doesn't he do this sort of thing all the time and then just keep being an rear end in a top hat? I mean, maybe I'm being unfair but it didn't help that his whole speech ended with "I'm going to go drink."

Possible. But I think he gave the most honest, thorough apology one could hope to hear, one that Ganz accepted, and all we can do is see what comes after, whether he starts living up to his word or falls back into those old habits. I could see it going either way. But his victim forgave him, and though that doesn't erase what he did, we might as well give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

If other people lay down accusations in the future, though? Absolutely, gently caress him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

It's mind blowing that it was Dan Harmon of all people. I really expected him to self destruct by the end of this.
Right?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I really enjoyed Kinneman’s performance in the Robocop reboot, and he looks like he’s perfect for Kovacs. I’m hyped. I wonder who they’ll have as the lead if they do the sequel, since the other preview stuff shows that Kinneman is playing the dude he’s sleeved into. They have three Kovacs on the cast page for this one alone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DivisionPost posted:

Possible. But I think he gave the most honest, thorough apology one could hope to hear, one that Ganz accepted, and all we can do is see what comes after, whether he starts living up to his word or falls back into those old habits. I could see it going either way. But his victim forgave him, and though that doesn't erase what he did, we might as well give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

If other people lay down accusations in the future, though? Absolutely, gently caress him.

Yeah, I fully admit I just don't like the guy and before I knew he had sexually harassed one of his writers I had already reached the "You know what? gently caress Dan Harmon. I'm done." stage.

So sorry. Probably a knee jerk response to seeing Harmon get pats on the back. That's my bad. It ain't about how i feel about the guy.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TVbytheNumbers/status/951520611825864704

It's kind of insane to me that American Dad is on its 14th season without any serious drop in quality. The last show I can remember that was this consistent was King of the Hill.