Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

[quote="“Basebf555”" post="“480133298”"]
The percentage of old white men who get creepy/grabby with the nurses taking care of them is like 80%. That might be generous actually. I find it very easy to believe. It’s even worse with foreign nurses on visas who have extra reason to feel hesitant about reporting incidents of abuse.
[/quote]

Yeah, I used to be a caretaker and the percentage of old people (mostly men, but a good amount of women too) who behaved like that with staff was extremely high. It’s kind of difficult though, because a lot of them genuinely do have dementia or something and may really not know what is going on. There are definitely old people out there though that know they are acting inappropriately and continue to do it, so I’m not going to give someone a free pass automatically. Probably why I’m not in caretaking anymore, getting harassed and sometimes assaulted on a regular basis for very little money kind of sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

https://twitter.com/Lexialex/status/951214533858611201

Lexi Alexander outs herself as the author of the lovely men in media list before the news article outing her could be published.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Lexi Alexander is cool.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Lexi Alexander is cool.

Her movies are terrible :allears:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

sponges posted:

Her movies are terrible :allears:

She gets a lifetime pass for both being cool and giving us Punisher: War Zone.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Too bad he didn't ask Weinstein "what did the five sexual harassment victims say to the face? Twice?"

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Neo Rasa posted:

She gets a lifetime pass for both being cool and giving us Punisher: War Zone.

Ideally Lexi Alexander should direct all those garbage superhero movies because she made one of the very few good ones.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

-Blackadder- posted:

Too bad he didn't ask Weinstein "what did the five sexual harassment victims say to the face? Twice?"

gently caress, this macho posturing is what created Weinstein in the first place. It's never going to stop, is it?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
He could have at least pied him

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

UnknownMercenary posted:

https://twitter.com/Lexialex/status/951214533858611201

Lexi Alexander outs herself as the author of the lovely men in media list before the news article outing her could be published.

i dunno what this tweet was about but she definitely did not make the list that everyone was talking about, because the author published an OpEd today and it was not Lexi.

It's entirely possible that she made her own list or something that was more for film people but the lovely Men in Media list that got so much attention was made by this lady:

https://twitter.com/moiradonegan/status/951291580610240514

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe it's an I am Spartacus thing

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Maybe it's an I am Spartacus thing

Yeah it's that

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/twitter-protects-media-men-harpers_us_5a56a2f5e4b08a1f624b382b?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
E: Nvm hat thoughts solved it!

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 11, 2018

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/alannabennett/status/950925983183441920

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/951312085996265472

Mira Sorvino and Greta Gerwig, who both starred in Allen movies a while back Sorvino won an Oscar for her movie with Allen, which was her breakout role, and Gerwig is very open about Allen being an inspiration for her writing and filmmaking, so these are both big deals, even if it was much earlier in their respective careers.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What one might have missed in this long transcript is Aaron Sorkin rooting for Kevin Spacey's "miraculous transformation" and hoping he gets to find his way back to Hollywood.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vegetable posted:

What one might have missed in this long transcript is Aaron Sorkin rooting for Kevin Spacey's "miraculous transformation" and hoping he gets to find his way back to Hollywood.

Well it was nice of Sorkin to make it easy for me to never watch anything he makes ever again.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

And yet, Rose McGowan still hasn't commented on her defending working with an actual convicted pedophile. I guess its because he was abusing boys and not girls? Or is it just because it would interfere with her using this to make a Reality TV show.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Hmm, wasn't aware of that. Spitballing, maybe she just forgot. Apparently it was back in 2011, though I can't seriously imagine no one's brought it up to her given recent events.

I guess another reason could be that she thinks it's ok to work with people after they've been through the justice system and paid their debt to society, so to speak.

EDIT: The interview was press for the Conan remake. I never saw it, and had no idea she played the villain. Wonder if she was any good? From the interview she sounds like a big Jason Momoa fan.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 11, 2018

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

-Blackadder- posted:

Hmm, wasn't aware of that. Spitballing, maybe she just forgot. Apparently it was back in 2011, though I can't seriously imagine no one's brought it up to her given recent events.

“You’re starring in the upcoming thriller Rosewood Lane, which was written and directed by Powder’s Victor Salva, whose films often reflect his gay sensibility and outsider mentality. Is that the case with Rosewood Lane?”

That’s seems really poorly phrased. I’m not sure I’d use the words “outsider mentality” to describe a literal child molester.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

The French stuff is really sad. Also, given that they'll happily close ranks to protect a child rapist in Polanski, and a child trafficker whose name I can't remember (kids were being trafficked in Mexico, a French woman was involved, France refused to extradite or prosecute her) I'm loathe to think what the motives here might be.
Okay if you want the some of the motives, Catherine Deneuve is old sure but she also was old enough to be one of the signatories of de Beauvoir's Manifesto of the 343 Sluts. What she is doing is basically telling the young women in france that American style feminism, after nonsense like Gamergate, the new ghostbuster and Hillary Clinton's non-election and ultimate defeat against someone they now daily compare to a brainless idiot (so what are the people he managed to beat, many wonder?) should be seen at best as worthless and at worst as toxic. The thing is we have far better abortion laws and many old school feminists beside Deneuve are currently afraid the current brand of American feminism could end up being toxic, alienate the electorates and cause a regression to the laws in other countries. That if that poo poo spread here (well worse than it's already and some could argue it was born here and just flourished on the other side of the Atlantic), it's going to poison the weel and we are going back to align with country with poo poo abortion laws like the US, Germany or Italy.
It's basically an expression of the decade old faction war inside French feminism and of course all the English speaking journos are already painting Deneuve a reactionary.
But hey we don't really expect you to perceive it by any point of view that isn't self centered on yourself.

Also the second the state of California stop allowing the death penalty, Polanski will be thrown to a plane to Hollywood and i don't remember the Mexico thing but i think to remember a vaguely similar sounding case of the French woman who was the children mother and it's about the Mexican dad wanting his kids back and accusing her of prostituting them? But hey, feel, free to react by calling us backward rapist-loving assholes that don't know what they are talking about, we are use to that kind of reactions from Americans since the Second Iraq war.

It's mostly an internal debate between Simone Veil style feminists against Chiennes-de-Garde style feminists in an international context.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 11, 2018

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Isn’t Rose McGowan a huge TERF as well? I heard that somewhere

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

DC Murderverse posted:

i dunno what this tweet was about but she definitely did not make the list that everyone was talking about, because the author published an OpEd today and it was not Lexi.

It's entirely possible that she made her own list or something that was more for film people but the lovely Men in Media list that got so much attention was made by this lady:

https://twitter.com/moiradonegan/status/951291580610240514

That must've come out after. I saw the Lexi tweet show up in my feed and did a little Googling on it before posting it here and it brought up nothing contradictory.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Isn’t Rose McGowan a huge TERF as well? I heard that somewhere

That would be awful if true. :(

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I dunno about you but if I was an old school baby boomer lesbian feminist who actually attended meetings and participated in groups and community events and marches I would be weary of the growing encroachment of “men” into the internal politics and dialogue in such organizations. It’d be like reverse gamergate - these lame newbs show up and make everything about themselves, violate community principles, do lame poo poo, etc.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
And then they make up their own rules about inclusivity and use them to persecute you somehow for lamenting the perceived invasion and loss of your community.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

bad day posted:

I dunno about you but if I was an old school baby boomer lesbian feminist who actually attended meetings and participated in groups and community events and marches I would be weary of the growing encroachment of “men” into the internal politics and dialogue in such organizations.
Like, I am all for accepting that maybe Rose McGowan was just kinda angry and said something misguided, but here you are with your big words going so much further then that. The people doing the "encroaching" are not men. Yes they enter the internal politics and dialogue, because they seek representation. Black women (as a random example) will push to receive fair representation in feminist organizations, as will other minority groups (racial or otherwise), why shouldn't trans women do the same? Feminism is intersectional, or it is bullshit, and these women at a cross-roads of multiple types of privilege need activism as much as cis-women do.

quote:

It’d be like reverse gamergate - these lame newbs show up and make everything about themselves, violate community principles, do lame poo poo, etc.
Except you've provided no indication that trans-women do that in any shape or form so go gently caress yourself. You might, very specifically, have some sort of case right here, about Caitlyn Jenner, where you might argue that she has benefited from all sorts of privilege that have made her life actually sorta okay. Or you might argue that Rose McGowan's statements were specifically about "growing up as a woman" and suffering through the injustices that women face throughout their life. I'm not saying I agree with you (particularly with the first bit), but that's what I meant when I say I can see Rose McGowan's statement as potentially simply misguided instead of actually malicious (maybe). If that's the argument you're trying to make, maybe you need to be a bit less ambiguous.

quote:

And then they make up their own rules about inclusivity and use them to persecute you somehow for lamenting the perceived invasion and loss of your community.
You're a disgusting piece of poo poo. You don't get to decide what inclusivity is, and if you're losing your community, it's because your community is changing to also support it's most vulnerable members, and you're too rusty and grumpy to accept the change.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 11, 2018

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Learning that there were feminists who vehemently organized against trans people was a big eye-opener for me. In my imagination they were natural allies. This illusion broke really quickly when I stumbled on what I think is Canada's most popular feminism website: http://www.feministcurrent.com/

You can't go very far without stumbling on some trans-hating article (one is literally on the front page).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think everyone gets to decide what inclusivity is.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Vegetable posted:

Learning that there were feminists who vehemently organized against trans people was a big eye-opener for me. In my imagination they were natural allies. This illusion broke really quickly when I stumbled on what I think is Canada's most popular feminism website: http://www.feministcurrent.com/

You can't go very far without stumbling on some trans-hating article (one is literally on the front page).

Second most-shared article: "‘TERF’ isn’t just a slur, it’s hate speech", compares the term to "kike" or the n-word :pwn:

Dancer
May 23, 2011
That's true, I should've said "by yourself". As presented, the poster was saying that trans women don't get to contribute to that.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Toplowtech posted:

Okay if you want the some of the motives, Catherine Deneuve is old sure but she also was old enough to be one of the signatories of de Beauvoir's Manifesto of the 343 Sluts. What she is doing is basically telling the young women in france that American style feminism, after nonsense like Gamergate, the new ghostbuster and Hillary Clinton's non-election and ultimate defeat against someone they now daily compare to a brainless idiot (so what are the people he managed to beat, many wonder?) should be seen at best as worthless and at worst as toxic. The thing is we have far better abortion laws and many old school feminists beside Deneuve are currently afraid the current brand of American feminism could end up being toxic, alienate the electorates and cause a regression to the laws in other countries. That if that poo poo spread here (well worse than it's already and some could argue it was born here and just flourished on the other side of the Atlantic), it's going to poison the weel and we are going back to align with country with poo poo abortion laws like the US, Germany or Italy.
It's basically an expression of the decade old faction war inside French feminism and of course all the English speaking journos are already painting Deneuve a reactionary.
But hey we don't really expect you to perceive it by any point of view that isn't self centered on yourself.

Also the second the state of California stop allowing the death penalty, Polanski will be thrown to a plane to Hollywood and i don't remember the Mexico thing but i think to remember a vaguely similar sounding case of the French woman who was the children mother and it's about the Mexican dad wanting his kids back and accusing her of prostituting them? But hey, feel, free to react by calling us backward rapist-loving assholes that don't know what they are talking about, we are use to that kind of reactions from Americans since the Second Iraq war.

It's mostly an internal debate between Simone Veil style feminists against Chiennes-de-Garde style feminists in an international context.

Interesting reading, I didn't know much of any of this so it's fascinating to read the international perspectives. Is this something like what they're talking about?

One thing related to their/your points is that this election seemed to be defined by the Patriarchy vs Feminism theme. The democratic nominee was on the verge of being the first woman president and and the Republican nominee was caught on tape bragging about sexually assaulting women two months before the election. In real life, the contrast is rarely so stark and critical.

And yet, despite all of this, the the majority of white women voted for Trump?

This is what tweaks me, personally, because we also just got done going through the same thing with the race in Alabama. Hilary mused about the "low emotional intelligence" of her black prison slaves and called black teenagers "super predators that needed to be brought to heel" and 88% of us still took enough time out from slingin on the corner to vote for her ignorant rear end. She may think that black people have low "emotional intelligence" but clearly our actual intelligence is pretty loving high as we apparently understand better than most that you're supposed to vote for candidates that aren't trying to kill you.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 11, 2018

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Toplowtech posted:

Also the second the state of California stop allowing the death penalty, Polanski will be thrown to a plane to Hollywood

What the gently caress does the death penalty have to do with Polanski skipping out?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

YodaTFK posted:

What the gently caress does the death penalty have to do with Polanski skipping out?

Everything. We do not keep the fucker because we like him, despite what ignorant Americans think.

Okay, story time.
Polansky in the middle of his trial remember that he got the french nationality too and fly to France a country without an extradition treaty with the US (but we have the death penalty at the time).
A few years pass and then death penalty is abolished in France (1981).
Bill Clinton decide it's time to sign an extradition treaty with France (to get Polanski? Can't remember if it mattered that much) but since the death penalty is not allowed in France we add a note saying "we will never EVER extradict one of our citizen or anyone really to the US to states with the death penalty" because there is no way we could sign that treaty otherwise (it would basically be applying the death penalty by proxy country) Clinton accept and sign. We have an extradition treaty but Polansky is safe!

There are several ways Polansky could be extradited to California:
1) California abolish the death penalty
2) California pass a law abolishing the death penalty for Polansky and Polansky alone
3) The president of the united state do such a favor to France, we fell obligated toward the US enough to say "gently caress what's one life", we sue Polanski as the French state in California ourselves and there is no technical legal barrier anymore to prevent his extradition.
4) the death penalty is legal again in France AND you fuckers renegotiate the treaty.

tl;dr: we do not extradict people if they risk the death penalty. Doesn't matter if you are gay and live in a country where it's the death penalty or if you are a child rapist, do your country wants to kill you, is it even a possibility? Welcome to France.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 11, 2018

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Here is the James Franco stuff now in newspaper article form

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-james-franco-allegations-20180111-htmlstory.html

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Vegetable posted:

It's not quite what he said and I think in the larger context, which is about someone like Spacey working again, his quote was:

quote:

SORKIN: I don’t like seeing anyone get disappeared. Personally, I don’t think Kevin’s going to be able to find his way back, but I’m still rooting for a miraculous transformation.

I think ultimately he's incredibly naïve about things, he did write THE WEST WING after all. But I think he's saying that people aren't beyond redemption. He talks a lot about powerful men abusing their situation in that talk, so it's not like it came out of nowhere. Maybe the interviewer should've asked a follow-up.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Speaking of Roman Polanski:

quote:

Roman Polanski Won’t Be Charged In 1975 L.A. Case Involving 10-Year-Old Girl – Update

Roman Polanski will not be hauled back into U.S. court over a 1975 case in which a then-10-year-old accused him of sexual assault, a law enforcement source tells Deadline. The Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office opted not to bring charges because the statute of limitations has expired.

“Offense date is outside applicable statute of limitations,” said charge evaluation paperwork signed by Deputy D.A. Michele Hanisee last month.

The accuser had claimed that much accused Polanski sexually assaulted her during a photo shoot on an L.A. beach. Already dealing with more recent complaints of sexual assault against Harvey Weinstein and others, the LAPD opened an investigation into the matter in mid-December and soon afterwards passed its findings over to Jackie Lacey’s office.

The director behind such films as Chinatown, Rosemary’s Baby and last year’s Based on a True Story has been in exile in Europe since he fled the U.S. 40 years ago after being convicted of raping a 13-year-old girl. Polanski has wiggled through various disjointed attempts in recent years by the U.S. to bring him back to face America justice.

In the last year, the Oscar winner’s lawyers have been arguing rather unsuccessfully that Polanski himself was victimized by court misconduct and should be free to return to this country. Another accuser, known as “Robin M,” said in August that Polanski “sexually victimized” her in 1973 when she was 16. She said she would testify as to her own victimization if the original case ever was retried – which looks increasingly unlikely.

In October, about 40 women protested the opening of a Polanski retrospective in front of the Cinémathèque Française in Paris.

There's nothing they can really do if the SOL ran on the case, but I'm wondering if anything else is going to come up as this goes on.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

This whole thing is awful, both on a personal and professional level for the victims. Obviously the coercion into sexual acts is paramount, but the bit about workshop nude scenes ending up on porn sites without consent is terrible as well. I suppose there is some karmic justice at this coming out just as Franco, who has long been a tryhard “artist,” is just starting to get real awards recognition. Before this, it wasn’t inconceivable that he’d get an Oscar nom for The Disaster Artist. Now, it feels like not so much.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Fart City posted:

This whole thing is awful, both on a personal and professional level for the victims. Obviously the coercion into sexual acts is paramount, but the bit about workshop nude scenes ending up on porn sites without consent is terrible as well. I suppose there is some karmic justice at this coming out just as Franco, who has long been a tryhard “artist,” is just starting to get real awards recognition. Before this, it wasn’t inconceivable that he’d get an Oscar nom for The Disaster Artist. Now, it feels like not so much.

It seems that his partners are already preparing to stand by him. HBO has stated that there have been no complaints made against him on The Deuce. Additionally, his partner for his Studio 4 School has also stepped forward to defend him.

As this continues to escalate would HBO walk back their statement or just fire him anyway?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

JackDarko posted:

It seems that his partners are already preparing to stand by him. HBO has stated that there have been no complaints made against him on The Deuce. Additionally, his partner for his Studio 4 School has also stepped forward to defend him.

As this continues to escalate would HBO walk back their statement or just fire him anyway?

Supposedly other students at the school have also said that they had a great time etc. Of course, he's not going to behave the way he did with everyone so I think in those cases they serve more as character witnesses.

In the case of THE DEUCE. They might just ride it out. I don't think it even starts production until much later in the year.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Toplowtech posted:

That is some bullshit and basically works off this idea that feminism needs to make itself meek and not push hard too hard against the reactionaries lest they throw a tantrum and take away people's rights.

Also Gamergate and ghostbuster(s)? They don't represent poo poo in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to the election, and I seriously doubt anyone opinions on feminism was ever formed in the great "Ghostbusters was a D+ movie" controversy on 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

khwarezm posted:

Also Gamergate and ghostbuster(s)? They don't represent poo poo in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to the election, and I seriously doubt anyone opinions on feminism was ever formed in the great "Ghostbusters was a D+ movie" controversy on 2016.
Dumb controversies is what feed the far right machine. I wish it wasn't the case and i may sound crazy to you but that stupid poo poo is actually damaging. loving dumb poo poo like the Leonarda Dibrani mediatic nonsense in France are toxic.

khwarezm posted:

That is some bullshit and basically works off this idea that feminism needs to make itself meek and not push hard too hard against the reactionaries lest they throw a tantrum and take away people's rights.
Now see, if you do nothing the other side would find poo poo to do to damage you. I am not telling you to do nothing and shut up, i am asking you are you sure you are doing your best to actually improve the situation and not to waste your time on worthless controversies. The point is not to push hard against reactionary, it's to loving win concrete things, like rights or concrete objective not loving online controversy against trolls. But hey, let's firebomb everything, the goddess will recognize her own and i am sure it will make you feel good.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 11, 2018