Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Downs Duck posted:

Haven't tried Okami...I have to add that The Legend of Zelda games pulls this off amazingly

Okami is an excellent Zelda-like so there's a good chance you'll enjoy it.

quote:

EDIT 2: Alien: Isolation also did great with its crafting mechanics. Hunting for items to craft and use was extremely fun, and the lack of materials - depending on difficulty, I believe - made finding that one part you needed that much more amazing.

Dying Light's crafting is sort of similar, although you have to do a lot more of it and you also wind up finding a lot more trash items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Downs Duck posted:

That sounds like a really neat concept and worth checking out, thank you. That kind of customization is something I really enjoy as it makes for great replayability.

I'm back from town - and yes! Cogmind is basically a game where you/your equipment are your inventory. It's a roguelike and built around replayability and figuring out the most effective/fun equipment combos so you can survive. It's made by a goon and really good, too!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Replayability definitely is a huge selling point of the game. Different combinations create completely different situations. You can be a badass hovering robot with high speed high instability, but just zip right up close to opponents and melee them. Or you can use treads for beefy armour buffs, but move around super slowly. I'm focusing on the tread type because I didn't get that far into the game, but it was a blast whilst I played it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

krael posted:

Can anyone of you guys reccomend me a game such as die2nite, where you can actually play with in groups / guilds with people, who aren't either flaming or retared?

It has to be browser based as I would mainly play this a little while having downtime at work.

Thanks.

Mush?

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Downs Duck posted:

I have to add that The Legend of Zelda games pulls this off amazingly (although my last Nintendo console was a NES): Special items you need to clear dungeons have multiple uses; you need the Hookshot to traverse obstacles, but can also use it to draw enemies towards you. The Boomerang activates buttons, but also stuns enemies, etc. "Loot" is limited to hearts, heart containers, bombs, and arrows, with immediately useable gameplay value.

Skyward Sword is the first Zelda to have an open-ended inventory, if I recall. The game prior have items occupy a specific spot in your inventory and can often feel like you're picking up funny-shaped keys for odd doors without a lot of interesting uses. There's a lot of 'see cue, deploy item'. For example, the Nintendo 64 Zelda games specifically mark most of the places you can use your hookshot to pull yourself up. I can't comment on the latest, Breath of the Wild, though.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I'll add that Steamworld Dig 2 is really great at this. It fits more into the metroidvania "oh, you reached this door. go find the key" style but they are also gameplay upgrades. Like, you reach your first door and it closes before you can get to it, so you explore some more and find the ability to sprint. Almost every item in the game is either a firepower or mobility gamechanger. Highly recommended!

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Thank you guys for some really great suggestions so far.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Downs Duck posted:

Any recommendations for RPGs/games that does inventory and gameplay items well? Without generic junk items or design around tedious pack-rat management?

Like incorporating non-generic items, weapons, or gear in a way that doesn't break up the action too much with town-selling-runs or dropping items in favor of incrementally better ones. Games with fewer, but gameplay-value items instead of Generic Studded Leather Armor Dropped by Every Level 10 Enemy, because I'd prefer if the drop was just gold or XP in that case.

I know about mods for increasing weight capacity and such in Skyrim, Dragon's Dogma, etc., but I'm looking for games that aren't marred by that kind of design to begin with.

Examples:

- I don't have a PS4, so haven't tried it, but Bloodborne's fewer weapons with dual/multi-purpose(?) vs. Dark Souls 100+ generic weapons with a lot of identical movesets.

Bloodborne certainly fits the bill. It does a neat trick with consumables you can only carry a limited number of, by automatically sending them to your stash in the hub. Other than how many consumables you can carry at one time, doesn't have any weight or inventory size limits. You should buy a PS4 to play this game and some other exclusives imo.

A neat inventory system I saw was in ToME, a roguelike with plentiful loot but also inventory limits. All the loot that you pick up end up a magic box you carry, where it doesn't take up any space or carrying weight. You can move items to and from your regular inventory to use them, and in regular inventory they do take space. Now, every time you move to a different area, the inventory screen opens displaying the contents of the magic box, letting you choose the items you KEEP. The rest will all be automatically recycled for money.

The result is that the enemies in an area may drop 50 pieces of loot in 10 minutes, but since you only need to pick out the few that you're interested in, it doesn't slow the game down at all.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ToME does have an innovative system that makes it easy to purge items between areas, but later in the game there are a ton of drops with walls of random stats, a tiny fraction of which are perhaps useful for any given character. So I wouldn't say the game is great in that respect.

Path of Exile does something interesting in that all items are sold for currency, but the currency is in turn used to upgrade items. There are a couple dozen different currencies that can do anything from rerolling magic properties and improving stats right up to creating a duplicate of an item.
Here's the catch though: There is no autosort button, so you will have to spend a couple dollars for a currency tab if you don't want to play Tetris with your stash of currency. The game is otherwise free though, so not a bad deal.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Yeah, I'm hoping Bloodborne "does a Nioh" and arrives at PC at some point when all the planets align or something.

ToMe is Tales of May'Eyal? I actually have that from some bundle, so I'll check it out, thanks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Downs Duck posted:

ToMe is Tales of May'Eyal? I actually have that from some bundle, so I'll check it out, thanks.

Yes, and on the off-chance you don't have it, ToME aka Tales of Maj'Eyal has a free version here. It used to be a donators got extra quirks, then the dev put that version on Steam, but the version on the website is the same game.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Downs Duck posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping Bloodborne "does a Nioh" and arrives at PC at some point when all the planets align or something.

Sure, as soon as Sony leaves the console business. Nioh was more a Koei property than a Sony property, just international distribution was Sony.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yes, and on the off-chance you don't have it, ToME aka Tales of Maj'Eyal has a free version here. It used to be a donators got extra quirks, then the dev put that version on Steam, but the version on the website is the same game.

There's no "used to be." Donators still get the same perks as ever, and ToME on Steam is just the free game plus an automatic donation of whatever it costs on Steam (well, and probably some money to Valve as the middle-man.)

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Fruits of the sea posted:

ToME does have an innovative system that makes it easy to purge items between areas, but later in the game there are a ton of drops with walls of random stats, a tiny fraction of which are perhaps useful for any given character. So I wouldn't say the game is great in that respect.

Path of Exile does something interesting in that all items are sold for currency, but the currency is in turn used to upgrade items. There are a couple dozen different currencies that can do anything from rerolling magic properties and improving stats right up to creating a duplicate of an item.
Here's the catch though: There is no autosort button, so you will have to spend a couple dollars for a currency tab if you don't want to play Tetris with your stash of currency. The game is otherwise free though, so not a bad deal.

I have 1.7k hours in Path of Exile. It is a very good game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Firos posted:

I have 1.7k hours in Path of Exile.

:goonsay:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Anyone know a good game that's a puzzle/[any other genre] hybrid, which doesn't use Bejeweled as its base?

Examples of what I want: Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, Pocket Card Jockey, Henry Hatsworth
Stuff I don't want: Puzzle Quest, Puzzle & Dragons

Someone in another thread said Henry Hatsworth did use Bejeweled as its base but I think Tetris Attack is distinct enough from it to count.

Basically what I'm looking for is a game which could conceivably be played on its own, but whose puzzle element will aid or inconvenience you depending on your performance. Clash of Heroes is a rare and awesome instance where the puzzle element is both obvious yet woven so deeply into the RPG element that you can't split them up, but those are probably much rarer to find.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Battle Chef Brigade?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Shadowhand!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Battle Chef Brigade was already on my radar but I hadn't even heard of Shadowhand; it looks great and I'm definitely putting both of those on my list. Thanks; keep em coming if you got em.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Downs Duck posted:

- Resident Evil 4: Inventory tetris that could be tedious, but most items had an immediate gameplay value right there OR could be traded in later.

People use "inventory Tetris" a lot to describe RE4's item system but I've never really understood the complaint. Yeah you can arrange items in your inventory but the game is pretty smart about auto-sorting the small stuff, and the only time you have to shift things around is when you pick up larger items like weapons which isn't often. Plus your first runthrough or two of the game will probably end with you using up most of your consumables since you won't really know what you're doing (and you shouldn't hoard stuff like grenades anyway).

I can't tell from your post if you've played RE4 or not, but if the only thing stopping you from doing so is the inventory system then definitely play RE4 regardless of your inventory misgivings.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

People use "inventory Tetris" a lot to describe RE4's item system but I've never really understood the complaint. Yeah you can arrange items in your inventory but the game is pretty smart about auto-sorting the small stuff, and the only time you have to shift things around is when you pick up larger items like weapons which isn't often. Plus your first runthrough or two of the game will probably end with you using up most of your consumables since you won't really know what you're doing (and you shouldn't hoard stuff like grenades anyway).

I can't tell from your post if you've played RE4 or not, but if the only thing stopping you from doing so is the inventory system then definitely play RE4 regardless of your inventory misgivings.

Yeah the only time I ever messed with my inventory was to arrange things how I wanted for aesthetic reasons.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

Ya unfortunately this won't happen. Since Nioh was published by Koei Tecmo in Japan and Sony only helped with worldwide publishing meanwhile Bloodborne was published by Sony everywhere. That's why I am hoping Fromsoft's next game isn't Bloodborne 2 because that would make me really buy a PS4 when I want to buy a switch instead.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

C-Euro posted:

People use "inventory Tetris" a lot to describe RE4's item system but I've never really understood the complaint.

It's a complaint? It's included in the post as a compliment. You shift things around because you want to keep everything because it's useful, and gameifies and makes tangible the concept of inventory capacity. No game has done inventory better.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's a complaint? It's included in the post as a compliment. You shift things around because you want to keep everything because it's useful, and gameifies and makes tangible the concept of inventory capacity. No game has done inventory better.

I know right? I like the inventory in RE4 but I've heard people say less kind things about it. I'll admit to maybe interpreting that post incorrectly.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Downs Duck posted:

Examples:
- Torchlight: The pet running errands for you (haven't played it yet, but thought the feature was interesting).

The pet running errands is awesome, even more so in Torchlight 2 and is a mechanic every loot game of that nature should have in a thematically appropriate way, but the gear mostly isn't exciting. It does however make the gameplay go much faster, since you don't have to constantly portal back to a hub to sell things, play inventory tetris to keep the good stuff, or spend ages over a cool loot drop working out what to carry with you until you next get to a merchant.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Downs Duck posted:

It is best to assume it will never happen, as sad as that is.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

This will likely never happen unless Sony goes the route of Sega and stops manufacturing hardware and becomes an independent publisher. Sony paid From to have that game made for the console exclusively. It's about as likely as the entire Uncharted franchise coming to Steam.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
I'm looking for a game to play at work. I work from home, dual monitor setup, and i'm almost always on calls. This is pretty limiting but ive still be able to get by playing a few games and I'll go ahead and list them for reference.

Hearthstone: I can play this just fine, although I often take 20 seconds or more to play a card. The main reason this game doesn't hold my attention is winning a game accounts for about 3 coins, a pack costs 100 gold... its just not enough progress. Also the game gets dull after playing it for hours at a time at work.

Albion: Online: I enjoyed farming/crafting on this game for a while when it first came out. I had some friends playing it and I played while I wasn't at work. After about a month we realized how the mechanics were working and the direction they wanted to go and we all quit.

Stronghold Kingdoms: Ive spent a large amount of time playing this game in the past, but it has lost its appeal. I'm not sure if I'm burnt out or if the lower population makes the pay-to-play tryhards have much more influence over the game.

Darkest Dungeon (and similar games): I love these little indy steam games, however i've realized they are very much about the play experience. Without being able to immerse at all it loses most of its appeal.

Magic: Shandalar: Just kidding, this old game works full screen only, changes my resolution rate to something abysmally low, and would not work alt-tabbing at all. I wish it did though, i do love that game. Maybe i can dork around and get it to only take over the second monitor.

I'm browsing around on steam looking for any new ideas. Runescape would probably be similar to Albion: Online, Eve is getting a bit old to try and jump into, and roms arent really made to be played so hands off.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

You want Slay the Spire. It's got all the positives of say, Darkest Dungeon and Hearthstone, but put together in one neat package.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
I glanced at it. I should have mentioned I'm partial to games on steam. Looks like something that'd work out perfect. I've always stayed away from turn-based games, now its about the only genre that'd fit for this.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
PS Now is about the only way you'll be able to play things like Uncharted or Bloodborne on PC until or unless emulation gets a lot better. A lot.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 10, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

PS Now is about the only way you'll be able to play things like Uncharted or Bloodborne on PC until or unless emulation gets a lot better. A lot.

Ya unfortunately there no Fromsoft games on there so not really a good sign.

E; nvm they do have two souls games.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 10, 2018

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Black Cat posted:

I glanced at it. I should have mentioned I'm partial to games on steam. Looks like something that'd work out perfect. I've always stayed away from turn-based games, now its about the only genre that'd fit for this.

There are a number of paradox grand strategy games that could work on a second monitor setup. Stellaris, for example. When I play at work it's typically a roguelike (I'm partial to Dungeon Crawl stone soup) or Minecraft (single player) because both are trivially put away if I need my full attention on something.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You want Slay the Spire. It's got all the positives of say, Darkest Dungeon and Hearthstone, but put together in one neat package.

I'm desperate for something new, I'm getting this and hoping it's up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation even though it wasn't for me :).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm looking for an industrialist/trader tycoon game. Basically a game where you start with a single ship/truck/space ship and end up owning your own production facility complexes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

double nine posted:

I'm looking for an industrialist/trader tycoon game. Basically a game where you start with a single ship/truck/space ship and end up owning your own production facility complexes.

X3: Albion Prelude

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the UI for managing your empire/big ships though...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's got to be a plugin that'll fix those issues. The X games have one of the most robust mod communities around.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
If you aren't afraid of old/obscure games, you have high seas trader and ocean trader, good games with a lot of charm but abandonware and a bit on the clunky side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

double nine posted:

The Capitalism series may be what you are looking for, I think the latest is Capitalism Labs.