Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pakled posted:

Move the Awful games block to prime time next year please.

God, Arabian Knights was the run of the marathon. How can anyone possibly top that?

They year they were eight hours behind schedule when they his the awful block was the greatest year.

Wrong thread, but to be nice, the awful block is always the best block. This has never not been true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

how was Superman 64?

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Superman 64 was an expertly executed terrible video game. Really fun run.

The entire awful block is great until it hits a short lull at Blues Brothers.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Waffles Inc. posted:

how was Superman 64?

Edit: I know this is the serious thread but the picture sums it up pretty well. Also it was a world record I think?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

how was Superman 64?

Amazing.

Arabian Nights was even more amazing though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

We thought that after Superman 64 it would be hard to top, but boy, we were so wrong with Arabian Nights.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Who was the 5th runner for Envro-Bear?

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

iospace posted:

The cacophonous chanting of the audience

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cory in the Blouse posted:

The cacophonous chanting of the audience

Sounds about right.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Arabian Nights chat starts from

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845638&pagenumber=545

onwards. Nice reading to accompany the run, the thread was going absolutely crazy.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

TeaJay posted:

The Arabian Nights chat starts from

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845638&pagenumber=545

onwards. Nice reading to accompany the run, the thread was going absolutely crazy.

If you for some reason want to also catch up the chat thread since Superman 64 (as in, the whole Awful Block) starts, it's from this page onward: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845638&pagenumber=516

The Awful Block generally ruled and you are actually doing yourself a disservice and distancing youself from the full AGDQ 2018 experience.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

iospace posted:

Brossentia.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

tyblazitar posted:

Brossentia.

Good.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

How was Princess Rescue? Is there a VOD posted (I didn't see it on GDQvods despite the runs before it and after it being up)

EDIT: vvv Thanks. Sadness. :(

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 11, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SoftNum posted:

How was Princess Rescue? Is there a VOD posted (I didn't see it on GDQvods despite the runs before it and after it being up)

Postponed, runner got sick.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I watched Superman 64 last night which was great, but unfortunately had to duck out five minutes into Arabian Nights because it was getting real late for me. Really want to catch the rest of that because what I saw looked bonkers.

What else have I missed between then and now? Has there been any particularly good runs, or anything notably bad? What's this I hear about "lobotomy chicken"?

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Arabian Nights and Enviro-Bear were super good, Dog’s Life was pretty good too.

“Lobotomy chicken” is just a silly song the evermore runner sings while waiting for a mandatory wait in the game.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This is Lobotomy Chicken, which thankfully is not getting its donation incentive met today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FVTx6tQ-Dk

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

This is Lobotomy Chicken, which thankfully is not getting its donation incentive met today:

:yikes:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stay safe lobotomy chicken

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Oh my loving god, am I ever sad that I missed Superman 64.

Edit: In terms of quality runs, this is turning out the be the Best AGDQ.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

It really is. Awful block was absolutely amazing.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

i'm a little bummed there's no NES-castlevanias though but yeah it's been pretty good. the dragon warrior game in 27m was a highlight for me b/c fuckin hell that's nuts

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

LuiCypher posted:

You can always click videos on the GamesDoneQuick channel in twitch and click the latest. You'll just have to skip around to find Superman 64 but that's how I've been watching the awful block this morning.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I was a little lukewarm on this year's GDQ at first but RE7, the MMX and Yoshi's Island races, and awful block have all really brought it

Can't wait to go watch Dragon Warrior vod

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

DizzyBum posted:

20 thousand smackeroos so a cocaine brony can ride some white pony, lmao

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheRationalRedditor posted:

20 thousand smackeroos so a cocaine brony can ride some white pony, lmao

Well it didn't happen in the end.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Can't wait to go watch Dragon Warrior vod

I just watched this while eating lunch and it's the ultimate turn-based RPG speedrun. Probably my favorite run in the past 5.5 years I've been watching GDQ streams. Seriously impressive.

edit: not penultimate

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 12, 2018

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

poemdexter posted:

You can always click videos on the GamesDoneQuick channel in twitch and click the latest. You'll just have to skip around to find Superman 64 but that's how I've been watching the awful block this morning.
In case you or anyone else doesn't want to make it so hard:

https://gdqvods.com/event/agdq-2018/
or
https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/7oljmp/agdq_vod_thread_2018/

The reddit thread usually updates faster but the GDQ VODs site is run by a good, looks nice, and you can click on runner names to see what other runs he or she has done.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Rirse posted:

Well it didn't happen in the end.
it's the milestone itself that's comical. good thing it wasn't a threat instead of an incentive

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Crossposting because it will probably get buried and die in the regular chat thread:

If you think what they managed to make the SNES do with Star Fox 2 is insane, let me introduce you to X, a spaceflight tanksim game for the Game Boy. Not Game Boy Color. Not Game Boy Advance. I mean this:

Edit: Technically it's more of a tank sim (think Battlezone) rather than a spaceflight sim, but the fact that they managed to do this on a Game Boy is pure insanity.
Fun fact: The person who programmed X is the same guy (Dylan Cuthbert) who brought us Stunt Race FX, Star Fox, and Star Fox 2.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Bloodplay it again posted:

I just watched this while eating lunch and it's the penultimate turn-based RPG speedrun. Probably my favorite run in the past 5.5 years I've been watching GDQ streams. Seriously impressive.

What’s the best one?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

I just watched this while eating lunch and it's the penultimate turn-based RPG speedrun. Probably my favorite run in the past 5.5 years I've been watching GDQ streams. Seriously impressive.

So which one is the ultimate turn-based RPG speedrun?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Considering how people here generally value RPG speedruns, probably one that uses some Credit Warp early into the game.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

synthetik posted:

What’s the best one?

Violently Car posted:

So which one is the ultimate turn-based RPG speedrun?

Dragon Warrior

I'm really confused by this. Does it not show I quoted But Rocks Hurt Head?

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 11, 2018

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Dragon Warrior

I'm really confused by this. Does it not show I quoted But Rocks Hurt Head?

"penultimate" means "second best"

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

This Jedi Academy run is definitely going on the recommendations list.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Kaubocks posted:

"penultimate" means "second best"

I have no idea why I said penultimate rather than ultimate. Now it all makes sense

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What are the stats on donations so far? How are we tracking compared to last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

JerikTelorian posted:

What are the stats on donations so far? How are we tracking compared to last year?

About the same, with various spikes and dips.

• Locked thread