Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/KSEPeC5uivs?t=6028

Oh Michael...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Human Grand Prix posted:

Kimball is a pretty average driver with money (although in recent years he's looked pretty bad).

kimball comes across as such a genuinely nice and cool person that i find myself rooting for him even though he's kinda bad and prone to dumbness sometimes v:shobon:v

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

BMB5150 posted:

You all should listen to Dinner with Racers podcast with Paul Tracy. Talks about how his father beat up the flagman/brother to the owner of the track, partied with Lance Armstrong and 10 prostitutes, his various hirings and firings, among many other things.

As for Indycar, I can finally go to a drat race that it's close enough to Seattle. I'll just have to shove the Portland Indycar race in the middle of PAX West.

Dinner with Racers is an excellent podcast. They did a two-parter with Mario Andretti that I really liked, interviewed Robin Miller, etc. Definitely recommended listening.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Any podcast that features Mario Andretti has always been fantastic. The breadth of his racing experience, all of his stories, surviving that era of F1 and racing in general, the emotion in his voice whenever he brings up Ronnie Peterson...

God, why do all of his descendants suck so loving much?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Michael Andretti is one of the best Indycar drivers ever.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

TBH Michael wasn't given enough of a chance in F1.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

I don't know who Kimball is but uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH to the second

Chilton was with Carlin forever in Europe and I believe his family (brother Tom and sponsor/father) also have ties with Carlin. Marco at Andretti Autosport and Max with Carlin are two of the safest seats in motorsports.

[Edit] don’t forget the Dinner with Racers guys somehow got Scott Tucker to chat, and it sounds so...odd how chipper he is once you learn now he’s got 16 years in prison coming up.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Reynold posted:

Dinner with Racers is an excellent podcast. They did a two-parter with Mario Andretti that I really liked, interviewed Robin Miller, etc. Definitely recommended listening.

I've only listened to the first few so far (Pumpelly, Varsha and Legge) but this does remind me I wanted to ask a question.

Katherine was asked who her worst teammate was and without the slightest hesitation she said Bourdais and called him a dochebag. They didn't really expand on it past that point, does anyone know if there's any specific reasoning there?

harperdc posted:

Chilton was with Carlin forever in Europe and I believe his family (brother Tom and sponsor/father) also have ties with Carlin.

His father has been part owner of the team since 2009 yes.

Wirth1000 posted:

Any podcast that features Mario Andretti has always been fantastic. The breadth of his racing experience, all of his stories, surviving that era of F1 and racing in general, the emotion in his voice whenever he brings up Ronnie Peterson...

Mario ambled into the booth during one of the Indy 500 practice days (or it might even have been Alonso's test). Either way it was just a beautiful thing to listen to him talk.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah it was the test. IIRC Rutherford was also co-commentating too.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kilonum posted:

TBH Michael wasn't given enough of a chance in F1.

He was, he squandered it.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Dudley posted:

I've only listened to the first few so far (Pumpelly, Varsha and Legge) but this does remind me I wanted to ask a question.

Katherine was asked who her worst teammate was and without the slightest hesitation she said Bourdais and called him a dochebag. They didn't really expand on it past that point, does anyone know if there's any specific reasoning there?

My understanding is that they fired her before her contract was up and tried to site her performance and lack of racing ability in general, and the team got Bourdais to go along with it and make public statements along those lines. He basically threw her under the bus. If there was more reason than that, I didn’t catch it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Phoenix test date officially announce and open to the public:

http://www.ismraceway.com/Articles/2018/01/ISM-RACEWAY-KICKS-OFF-2018-WITH-THIRD-ANNUAL-VERIZON-INDYCAR-SERIES-PRIX-VIEW.aspx

Also new car looks good in the liveries:

https://twitter.com/CGRTeams/status/951099035309559809

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

Paul Tracy was a less good, open wheel version of Kyle Busch.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

They need to make the numbers on the rear wings bigger.

Other than that, hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

It's awesome that they open the 2nd day of testing to the public, and with it being a Saturday there's no reason for any goon in the Phoenix area to attend. I'll be there for both days of testing, only 1 month away!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Oh my god you have so much good chat ahead of you. Recommendations include Level 5 special, Bill Riley, and the two-part Tommy Kendall episode from season one; Johnny O’Connell, Mike Shank, David Hobbs, Hurley Haywood, the drug-related ones (Whittington and Lanier), and Brendan Gaughn from season two; and basically everything in season 3. I’m only part-way, and still have Tony Stewart and Robby Gordon to come.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Human Grand Prix posted:

Michael Andretti is one of the best Indycar drivers ever.

His 1996 season was his best

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Reynold posted:

My understanding is that they fired her before her contract was up and tried to site her performance and lack of racing ability in general, and the team got Bourdais to go along with it and make public statements along those lines. He basically threw her under the bus. If there was more reason than that, I didn’t catch it.

Makes sense, and is entirely unfair given they signed her for a full season, dropped the Lotus, could only get 1 chevy and then proceeded to dump her with just the remaining 4 ovals after Indy.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KingShibby posted:

[*]Tony Stewart (Says he has a ride, unknown with whom)

Wait, what? Is this just a standing offer he has if he wants to run or did I miss him saying he's likely going to run? The only thing I'd heard about Smoke was he was considering running Xfinity road course races.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Marco 2018 Champion
TK Indy Winner
Hologram Jim Nabors
Danica DNF

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Gonna be edgy and say Danica DNS. Given that she hasn't even found a Daytona ride yet, I don't think any Indycar owners are tripping over themselves to give her a car she's never driven.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Athanatos posted:

Marco 2018 Champion
TK Indy Winner
Hologram Jim Nabors
Danica DNF

This only works if Marco wins the championship without winning a race.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

IOwnCalculus posted:

Gonna be edgy and say Danica DNS. Given that she hasn't even found a Daytona ride yet, I don't think any Indycar owners are tripping over themselves to give her a car she's never driven.

I dunno. She might have flunked out of NASCAR but she might still have just enough oomph in Indianapolis to get a sponsor for one more go at the race.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Has any team actually said they're interested? The top three teams publicly declined almost immediately.

I suppose if she brings enough money, it will fund a car. But she hasn't been in an Indycar since Vegas, which means she doesn't even have so much as a testing lap in a DW12. I don't doubt that she could drive it but there are fresher drivers without rides.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Veach's scheme is ah... well. its certainly.... uh. well

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The random Petronas teal ruins it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

IOwnCalculus posted:

The fact she announced she was doing those races without the first clue how pretty much tells you everything you need to know about her in general really.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

I like it? But then again copper and turquoise are a bit common here. I was legit surprised that a company using that color scheme is not AZ-based.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Cygni posted:

It's both :effort: and kind of cool rolled up into one, which I can't remember saying before.

Dudley posted:

The fact she announced she was doing those races without the first clue how pretty much tells you everything you need to know about her in general really.

Truth be told, I figured it was a done deal/almost done when she said she was doing it and would've guessed Ganassi given he's the only owner who could give her competitive rides in both races.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

They should have used a scheme similar to Boesel's Duracell car. Bronze/Black isn't bad per se.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 11, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That sponsor is incredibly Champ Car World Series

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It reminds me of the weird rear end regional sponsors that Italian F1 teams had in the late 80s, particularly the '88 Coloni. Is that really their logo?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CBJSprague24 posted:

Truth be told, I figured it was a done deal/almost done when she said she was doing it and would've guessed Ganassi given he's the only owner who could give her competitive rides in both races.

Yeah, it's incredibly arrogant to just assume people will line up to give you a ride. I assumed SHR were going to run her in at least Daytona but clearly that's not happening.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

George Zimmer posted:

So since NBC lost F1 rights, will Diffey be commentating full time for the NBC races?

I would also like to know the answer to this.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

In her most recent quotes she said something regarding which “teams or team” she might sign with, implying she thinks Ganassi or Penske are still interested. Which is...odd.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Sounds like it's actually a pretty major insurance company?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I mean, its Andretti. He always seems to dig up weird funding for at least 1 car. Andretti.TV baby.

Like gret said, "Group One Thousand One" is the rebranding of Delaware Life Insurance. They changed the parent companies name to that generic business garbage cause #brands are dipshits.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Wirth1000 posted:

The random Petronas teal ruins it.

Petronas doesn't own the copyright on teal.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
:japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless