Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Tenebrais posted:

Is it a priorities thing? Dupes will store stuff autonomously if there's storage containers set up for it without needing to be specifically told to sweep. I think they go by the priority level of the container, so if you set an "accepts all" storage unit to priority 5 they'll go put stuff in it before most default tasks.

Sorry I missed this reply.

Unfortunately not. I set the containers to the lowest priority and they still obsess over filling them. To the point that when I tell them to dig often they will dig a square out then run the item back to the container before digging the next square.

What is the best way to cool a base? I currently have a Thermo Regulator circulating very cold hydrogen around the base, but it's not doing much. Would it just be better to pipe in the warm air at the top of the base and have the regulator cool it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

totalnewbie posted:

Also, it's 1-2 nat gas geysers, not 2 guaranteed. Changed last patch, I think.

drat, I may have to actually start relying on other power sources. Or use more fertilizers.

I wish there was a way to automate delivery of solid material. I'd be all over coal generation if they didn't have to be somewhere accessible so dupes could feed them.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Why not just use petroleum generators? Other than needing to have a dupe work the refinery occasionally, they seem pretty manageable and produce an absolute crapton of power.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Travic posted:

What is the best way to cool a base? I currently have a Thermo Regulator circulating very cold hydrogen around the base, but it's not doing much. Would it just be better to pipe in the warm air at the top of the base and have the regulator cool it?

Liquid pipes with cool water or oil flowing through them work better than gas cooling, because of higher mass.

But If you include exploits then it's the magical airlock - build a mechanized airlock and a vent inside a small sealed box of insulated tiles with metal tile on the side you want cold. Pipe tiny amount of oxygen or hydrogen into the vent, like 10g/s set on a gas valve. Use automation to constantly open/lock the airlock, it's something like: NOT gate->Buffer 1 sec gate->Buffer 1 sec gate-> airlock and back to the NOT gate.
When it cycles like this the gas is destroyed and the airlock gets really cold, like -250 or so, while taking up 15 tiles and barely any power. Apparently there's something wonky with matter destruction by airlock, something like the stuff being destroyed is first set to 0K and can transfer some of this cold to airlock before being removed.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Pyromancer posted:

Liquid pipes with cool water or oil flowing through them work better than gas cooling, because of higher mass.
Its that true? I've always understood that hydrogen was best because of heat transfers into it easier. This works both ways, so cool hydrogen will receive heat and cool faster than anything else. Also, carbon dioxide is better for insulating and keeping temperature stable.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

temple posted:

Its that true? I've always understood that hydrogen was best because of heat transfers into it easier. This works both ways, so cool hydrogen will receive heat and cool faster than anything else. Also, carbon dioxide is better for insulating and keeping temperature stable.
Hydrogen is the best among gases, but just about any liquid is better in both thermal conductivity and capacity. Also, since 1 pipe tile of gas is 1 kg of gas and 1 pipe tile of liquid is 10 kg, you can carry away more heat while not heating up the coolant as much.
The other benefits of hydrogen are that you can make it really cold without changing state, and that you probably cool hydrogen with wheezeworts or nullifier to generate cold anyway, so you may as well just pump it around without making additional liquid circuit.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 11, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Pyromancer posted:

Hydrogen is the best among gases, but just about any liquid is better in both thermal conductivity and capacity. Also, since 1 pipe tile of gas is 1 kg of gas and 1 pipe tile of liquid is 10 kg, you can carry away more heat while not heating up the coolant as much.
The other benefits of hydrogen are that you can make it really cold without changing state, and that you probably cool hydrogen with wheezeworts or nullifier to generate cold anyway, so you may as well just pump it around without making additional liquid circuit.

The problem becomes cooling liquids vs cooling gases.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

should I bother getting back into this game or should I leave it for a few more major updates? I last played this just before the thermal update came out, so there's been a bunch of major updates that I haven't yet touched.

I'm just worried content is still lacking and I'll binge on this game for the next 2 days and then burn myself out.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Next update is in 4 weeks, according to the in-game notice. I say wait until then.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

temple posted:

The problem becomes cooling liquids vs cooling gases.

Yeah, having just gotten into cooling, I can already see that. The fact that water breaks your pipes below 0° C really limits the ability to use it for cooling. One tile of water may be able to soak up more heat than one tile of hydrogen due to the higher density, but the freezing point makes it more of a chore to manage.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
We can only hope they introduce helium one day.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Its been hard for me to get back into the game. A few patches back, the world gen got less predictable so its harder to make interesting bases in the default biome. The ice biome hasn't spawned near the default place either, in my runs since. The research tree has changed and a lot of the small things I was used to have changed. Just something is slightly off. I think the germ mechanic doesn't appeal to me and that's when I started losing interest. I guess a goal would motivate me more now. The colony sim part of the game is just taking away from my enjoyment of the science sim stuff.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've found the germs a complete non-entity, personally. If you keep on top of polluted oxygen, make everyone wash their hands after peeing, make sure to wall off any slime tiles (with air gap if you don't feel like disinfection) and feed back recycled water into the hot geyser pool (or don't recycle at all) you'll never have a gem problem.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have aquatuners in my polluted water basin, takes care of the germs real nicely.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Bhodi posted:

I've found the germs a complete non-entity, personally. If you keep on top of polluted oxygen, make everyone wash their hands after peeing, make sure to wall off any slime tiles (with air gap if you don't feel like disinfection) and feed back recycled water into the hot geyser pool (or don't recycle at all) you'll never have a gem problem.
Yes, I agree. I'm taking a while to adjust.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That's kind of a disadvantage to games like this, once you "figure it out" there isn't really anything left. It's why a lot of games have natural disasters or something semi-dynamic that you need to manage.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

That's kind of a disadvantage to games like this, once you "figure it out" there isn't really anything left. It's why a lot of games have natural disasters or something semi-dynamic that you need to manage.

This game really needs a goal of some kind. Something like “Find 3 doodads of lost technology, develop and build xy&z, get to the edge of the world, and escape into space”. Because I totally agree, once I got the basics of the game down there wasn’t much left to do.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I tend to play, restart, play, restart, keep trying for more and more efficient bases. In the ag update, I had it down a science. The problem with germs is they take dupes out once they get a few germs in their system.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

readingatwork posted:

This game really needs a goal of some kind. Something like “Find 3 doodads of lost technology, develop and build xy&z, get to the edge of the world, and escape into space”. Because I totally agree, once I got the basics of the game down there wasn’t much left to do.

I think they're working on that. I remember reading something about how they're adding in tidbits about why the dupes are in the asteroid, what it means, and what they can do about it. Or something to that effect. And another thing about "Space Tech" which may mean escaping the asteroid.

:edit: Ah here we go.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Do showers produce germs?
If a hatch eats germy materials, like polluted dirt, is the coal germy too?

temple fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 17, 2018

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I think showers are bugged and don't do anything but waste time, atm.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

totalnewbie posted:

:goonsay:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

They do something, but it's not something that's of any benefit right now - they remove surface germs(which is done also by wash basins/sinks in a small fraction of showering time), grimy status that does nothing to duplicants, and soggy feet/wet status that wears off on its own and only adds a bit of stress.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Also a small decor bonus!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

is there any reason why dupes wouldn't use the ore scrubber? i'm switch the slime between the right storage bin and the left one. they would use it at first but not now.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

temple posted:

is there any reason why dupes wouldn't use the ore scrubber? i'm switch the slime between the right storage bin and the left one. they would use it at first but not now.

your chlorine pump doesn't appear to be powered.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Elizabethan Error posted:

your chlorine pump doesn't appear to be powered.

yeah but chlorine is in the scrubber. I'll try turning the pump on.

it worked even thought no chlorine was going through the pipe.

temple fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 20, 2018

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I bought this game last week and keep restarting cause things tend to go bad quickly. Last attempt there was a steam geyser close to the starting biome and I nearly got everything set up including a hydrogen cooling system but then killed multiple dupes in fairly quick succession

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I bought this game last week and keep restarting cause things tend to go bad quickly. Last attempt there was a steam geyser close to the starting biome and I nearly got everything set up including a hydrogen cooling system but then killed multiple dupes in fairly quick succession

slimelung?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

temple posted:

slimelung?

Nah suffocation and overheating mostly

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

temple posted:

yeah but chlorine is in the scrubber. I'll try turning the pump on.

it worked even thought no chlorine was going through the pipe.

I do believe pipes need a complete input-to-output route to function at all, even if you're not drawing anything in through the input.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

That's true. It was weird because the ore scrubbers maintained full chlorine but required the pipe to pump it.

What's the best way to enter a chlorine patch? From the top, bottom, left, or right? Or is it just a matter of air pressure?

edit: Do setups like this work anymore? Won't the dupes get sick from the germs in the polluted water?

temple fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 26, 2018

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

temple posted:

That's true. It was weird because the ore scrubbers maintained full chlorine but required the pipe to pump it.

What's the best way to enter a chlorine patch? From the top, bottom, left, or right? Or is it just a matter of air pressure?

edit: Do setups like this work anymore? Won't the dupes get sick from the germs in the polluted water?

This set up is nearly perfect, you need to set up a cistern where your newly filtered water will be heated by an aqua tuner so that residual bacteria wont make your dupes poo poo themselves to death.

So it should be waste water pipe-> water filter-> cistern+ aqua tuner ->liquid pump -> showers, sinks and toliets.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Gaj posted:

So it should be waste water pipe-> water filter-> cistern+ aqua tuner ->liquid pump -> showers, sinks and toliets.
Yeah but I was asking if that picture would work because it would just put germ filled water back into the system.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

New test branch available. Dupe stats, the priority system, and the job system is revamped. There is a new tab for assigning jobs to specific dupes. The dupes get experience and stat growth in those job areas only. Then, the jobs level up to better versions. The higher leveled jobs allow more difficult tasks to be performed, so things like mining abyssalite is limited to an experienced miner. There are new buildings for these roles to use and they produce items to increase their related subjects (like tune-ups for generators, plant food to speed up growth). Jobs are optional and dupes can work without needing to be assigned something. Professional dupes will prioritize their specific job over others. The priority system is reduced to 1-5 (default is 2) and there is a override function to force the old priority rules. The dupe selection screen and stats are simplified some with stats being combined or renamed. Every dupe has interests now that relates to the job types. They may not be good at the job statwise but it is supposed to improve their stress. Dupes can switch jobs easily and become masters at multiple jobs. Each job has its own hat.

:siren:Dupes now wear hats:siren:

There is a robotic arm machine that can gather and supply solids. So, dupes can fill up a bin and have the arm deliver goods to machines. The arms are built on walls and have a radius. Conveyer belts aka solids piping is in the update too. They have a starting bin and ending bin. Power is required for them to work. Food and decor values are upped for job promotion so growing/cooking better food is more incentivized. There are some other changes but those are the big ones.

temple fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 26, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

temple posted:

:siren:Dupes now wear hats:siren:
I see the cross-promotional event with tf2 is already planned. The monetization model too.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea I needed these changes, but I totally do. This is good poo poo.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

There might be factorio-like busing with the conveyor belts.

temple fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 26, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aww Meep :(

e: Literally the next roll

e2: What dark god of duplicants have I offended

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

i like all the ideas but...... i'd recommend players wait a bit on the occupational update. the interested jobs trait is a trap. dupes get more experience in those jobs but their expectations also increase. this is leads to their expectations becoming untenable in short order. job sharing is gone or broken, so dupes appear less productive than before. this leads to situations were dupes don't do simple but important jobs like cleaning outhouses or mopping water. my dupes have a bug where they won't deconstruct cots. the update needs some more time and needs to get priorities balanced out with the job system.

temple fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 27, 2018