Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Zesty posted:

We’d be lucky for them to get done what they want to get done... let alone pop in issues getting fixed... let alone fun new things.

They wanted 1.0 to be done last May.

A dev in that tweet posted earlier says they are aiming for a January 23 release, so i'm p convinced at this point that they are gonna launch with the pop in, submerging reapers and other long standing hard to fix bugs.

Edit: added some quotes since new page, including the tweet post:

7c Nickel posted:

Some of y'all might have seen this already, but this might inspire some hope for people worrying about technical stuff.

https://twitter.com/Subnautica/status/939843394360233984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also, this new performance kerfuffle about the Intel security bug?

Generally, it affects games very little. The game would have to have weird loading models to be affected, and that would manifest as pop-in and...

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
uh oh

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Unrelated but my Skylake i5 shat the bed while playing Subnautica. Took forever to identify too.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Apparently they’re launching 1.0 on the 23rd.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

7c Nickel posted:

Some of y'all might have seen this already, but this might inspire some hope for people worrying about technical stuff.

https://twitter.com/Subnautica/status/939843394360233984

This chart doesn't inspire any sort of hope or confidence. What the gently caress is this, lmao. What a dumb pointless "chart"

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

This chart doesn't inspire any sort of hope or confidence. What the gently caress is this, lmao. What a dumb pointless "chart"

Its a chart that compares patches against the 'voice of the deep' patch while also comparing 'voice of the deep' against itself for whatever reason. No need to show average FPS changes or anything like that, it's 47% better than 0 apparently.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
So they are never ever gonna fix the pop-in huh.

Oh well, I deliberately stopped playing about a year ago after ~15 hours in wait of what was supposed to be the imminent release (lol), I look forward to finally going back in for real and playing through the whole campaign.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Scoss posted:

So they are never ever gonna fix the pop-in huh.

Oh well, I deliberately stopped playing about a year ago after ~15 hours in wait of what was supposed to be the imminent release (lol), I look forward to finally going back in for real and playing through the whole campaign.
Something something "Install it on an SSD! Then after that does nothing, Unity's fault we're blameless."

It would be nice if by some optimistic miracle pop in and garbage draw dsitance is for realizies addressed in a sane, rational manner that is not "We stop to copy/paste your entire save folder into your appdata when you load the game. Pinky swear that helped performance even though it's still poo poo." Rube Goldberg coding while linking to 2014 website articles.

At the very least, I fully expect floater island to still have a defended by fan headcanon :airquote: "Cloaking field" abysmal draw distance. Leading to yet another influx of new players who never even realized such a landmass even existed in the game after a three hour exploratory drive with their Seamoth.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 10, 2018

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Does Unity not have an option for model resolution blending like all other engines? Why can't the team just produce a bunch of low-poly models for far-distance rendering so they can be loaded sooner?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Thor-Stryker posted:

Does Unity not have an option for model resolution blending like all other engines? Why can't the team just produce a bunch of low-poly models for far-distance rendering so they can be loaded sooner?
While I'm hardly a coder, The Subnautica Devs have literally gone "Sorry, impossible to fix unless Unity's staff fixes if for us!" regarding things like Reaper's clipping through everything. Which tends to flip flop back and forth from that sort of thing to "Actually, we're super cool devs who (probably) have a fix!" and back again to rehashed PR posts capped off with "That's gamedev!"

I've stopped paying attention to the forums or even really giving bugcheck feedback after maximum "I'm getting my parked by a corner engines off cyclops destroyed before I can even read the engine outputs to see if they fixed their no exaggeration actually happened 300 minute power cell recharge times fuckup. Because my cyclops will be literally humped sideways by things regardless for 'no damage', until it hits rocks or the ceiling and bursts into flames." some months back.

Because holy poo poo did it finally come clear my actual honest to god bug reporting was doing gently caress all, with so many things pointed out weeks in advance in experimental getting ported over to live anyways. With other comical not damaging but still damning stuff like "What, light sticks still drain battery? But we changed the code so it wouldn't!" because it would take literally 15 seconds to QA test that.

I'm not really expecting much of a tone change from the Devs has happened in the meantime if it's already been that way for years of this game's development. There is so much cool stuff in the game, that it's that much more frustrating seeing all the baffling missteps, and patch notes that are so absurd people thought I was making poo poo up until they followed the link.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 10, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well, I guess the SSD requirement will be staying for the final game if they're releasing now

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Section Z posted:

At the very least, I fully expect floater island to still have a defended by fan headcanon :airquote: "Cloaking field" abysmal draw distance. Leading to yet another influx of new players who never even realized such a landmass even existed in the game after a three hour exploratory drive with their Seamoth.

To be perfectly honest I'm fine with that one, it's cool to have the landmass just lost in the distance and kinda come out of the clouds.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

To be perfectly honest I'm fine with that one, it's cool to have the landmass just lost in the distance and kinda come out of the clouds.

I would be cool about this if the clouds were more distinct and had more, uhm, volume to them. Actually shrouding the isle in clouds or fog would be cool, especially since looking out from the island itself reveals the world to be really flat and ugly looking.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Section Z posted:

It is literally not a matter of draw distance, the island is hidden by fog, and like distance fog, but a fog effect that only exists as a deliberate gameplay choice. I have pointed this out to you before. I can understand not liking the game, whatever, but why do you stick around this thread lying about easily verifiable stuff?

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 10, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

7c Nickel posted:

It is literally not a matter of draw distance, the island is hidden by fog, and like distance fog, but a fog effect that only exists as a deliberate gameplay choice. I have pointed this out to you before. I can understand not liking the game, whatever, but why do you stick around this thread lying about easily verifiable stuff?
Sorry if I forgot that amidst all the reapers clipping through cliffs, getting eaten by crabsnakes while indoors, 300 minute thermal reactor power cell recharge times making it to live, and wandering blobs comprised of dozens of sandsharks clipping into eachother. That I forget "No no, hiding a major land mass is on PURPOSE. Not a technical failing!".

I stick around trying to hope the game shapes up better than it has. Not out of some wacky attempts to deliberately lie about stuff. The closest I've come to deliberately making poo poo up, was listing real game changes that people thought was an april fools style prank down to how outlandish the actual for real game changes were.

"Haha, make the engine catch on fire for using max speed. That's a good one section-:stare:" Why would I ever feel the need to make things up?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 10, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah, the actual reason that was disingenuous was because it didn't mention the kickass psychedelic trance music that suddenly starts playing when your submarine ignites from driving too fast

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love the idea of claiming someone is LYING about some dumb videogame poo poo instead of just being confused or misremembering. Are Subnautica's competitors planting people in this thread?!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I love the idea of claiming someone is LYING about some dumb videogame poo poo instead of just being confused or misremembering. Are Subnautica's competitors planting people in this thread?!

Is this irony? I cant tell on the internet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the islands literally have a plane type thing in front of them to block your view, it still has a slightly imperfect interaction with water whereby you can actually see the island from miles away if you look through a wave just right, which used to be a lot more noticeable until they patched it. It also shows up as a noticeably darker spot on the horizon which doesn't move with the rest of the cloudscape. I honestly think it's one of the game's better effects once you notice it though it could use a little extra work on the transition, and on something to mask the as aforementioned flattening effect you get when you're actually on the islands.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 10, 2018

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

I don’t think anyone really needs to worry about competing with this game...

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Some people get weird hate boners about certain games/developers and will literally make stuff up just to trashtalk them. It is a real phenomena although I will be damned if I know why.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
And others just hang out in a thread years longer than they should just to poo poo on it when people talk about it.

Just let it go. Unbookmark and don’t stress it if you’re not into it anymore.

Section Z posted:

The radio directs you to the floating island.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I dont know why you wouldnt check the claims of serious graphics issues before posting accusations of bias when its so easy to bork development.

Apparently the devs trello has pop in being fixed!...

After 1.0 wheeeeeeeeee

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Just :lol: at the internet in 2018 where no matter who you are or what you do you will instantly gain a fanatic following telling you that everything you do is perfect and any dissidents will be bumrushed by your loyal brokebrains and driven off in a cacophony of "guess you don't understand games development".

Games gonna be good tho, it just could be a lot better with just a few easy steps and some more focus where it actually matters.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

In Reddit comments for release date I see almost no-one talking about performance or pop-in. There was one person asking about pop-in but the responses were that it's minor and unnoticeable.
Weird as heck...

I have the game but I haven't downloaded it yet as I've been waiting for 1.0 and the issues to be fixed. But watching the streams it still seems bad in performance front.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I think the root cause of much of the frustration about the game is that while it isn't at all bad, it has noticeable flaws that haven't been meaningfully addressed in the past year of development time...but probably mostly that it's a 30-hour game with limited replay value that people have functionally 'released' for a very long time.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Dongattack posted:

Just :lol: at the internet in 2018 where no matter who you are or what you do you will instantly gain a fanatic following telling you that everything you do is perfect and any dissidents will be bumrushed by your loyal brokebrains and driven off in a cacophony of "guess you don't understand games development".

Games gonna be good tho, it just could be a lot better with just a few easy steps and some more focus where it actually matters.

Its such a great game. Theres grind but the gameplay and worldbuilding are so fun it's relatively easy to enjoy anyway. It could be VRs first really killer game. Just makes it all the more frustrating waiting for the fixes.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Sininu posted:

In Reddit comments for release date I see almost no-one talking about performance or pop-in. There was one person asking about pop-in but the responses were that it's minor and unnoticeable.
Weird as heck...

I have the game but I haven't downloaded it yet as I've been waiting for 1.0 and the issues to be fixed. But watching the streams it still seems bad in performance front.

This post got me wondering if they maybe fixed it or worked on it since last time i fired up the game and that's why nobody seems to care, so i updated it, moved it to my SSD, started a brand new game on creative, pooped out a Seamoth and set off in a random direction. Nope :v: Game keeps painstakingly loading in chunk after chunk right in front of you. First the geometry, then plants and details. What a trainwreck.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Its such a great game. Theres grind but the gameplay and worldbuilding are so fun it's relatively easy to enjoy anyway. It could be VRs first really killer game. Just makes it all the more frustrating waiting for the fixes.

I don't think they ever will be capable of fixing it, if they were they wouldn't continuously push back the game by years at the time and still having the same old issues. Also the game doesn't support VR controllers like Touch etc so i would be pretty surprised if people flock towards it for the VR aspect.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The game is a solid full featured and fun experience in 3d, issues with cyclops and pop-in not withstanding. It's not nor was it ever destined to be a "killer app". It's also got no replay value to speak of so once 1.0 hits I'll play through and have a flawed but generally enjoyable time and move on to other things.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Have they done anything about the HUD yet? Last time I tried it in VR (about 6 months ago) the inventory was rendered so close to your face that it was extremely difficult to focus on, and the health meters were partially obscured by the bottom left corner of the scuba mask almost outside the field-of-view. It ended up giving me a headache and I went back to playing it on my regular monitor.

Actually looking around the environment was great, but it seemed like they'd just flicked the switch in Unity settings to enable HMDs and put no other effort into it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/just-quietly-subnautica-updated/
Is there a changelog anywhere?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Doesn't seem like it no! Tried it for a bit, FPS seems better and more consistent, loading a save/starting a new game is slightly faster, pop-in is somehow WORSE.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It comes close to being a really novel game too, which is a shame. I mean, hell, it is a novel game it's just a novel game that doesn't really work well enough in the ways that are key to its novelty.

It has good enough art direction and mechanics to make it a profoundly atmospheric exploration game but it's hamstrung by being really poorly implemented and having a bunch of really half-thought-out survival and gating systems bolted onto it.

The devs either a) don't understand what's good about the game, b) lack the ability to realize it properly, or c) both.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

The devs either a) don't understand what's good about the game, b) lack the ability to realize it properly, or c) both.

It's about what happens when an indie game comes up with a AAA concept.

Think of No Man's Sky, PUBG, or H1Z1, good concepts by indie developers, but horrible implementation that people still play because there's nothing else like it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's about what happens when an indie game comes up with a AAA concept.

Think of No Man's Sky, PUBG, or H1Z1, good concepts by indie developers, but horrible implementation that people still play because there's nothing else like it.

Minecraft dot txt right there.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Fuego Fish posted:

Minecraft dot txt right there.

Well, I've always held Minecraft as a lovely game, but people really like their legos.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Well, I've always held Minecraft as a lovely game, but people really like their legos.
Lego Worlds is also great example of a company making reskins of Lego Star Wars for a decade not quite getting what people expect from open-world legos.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

OwlFancier posted:

I think a lot of it is early overreach (i.e., the voxel terrain system) that was too baked into the game's infrastructure to be able to completely expunge later on, leaving the game with the side effects (bloated save files and too much stuff to be able to preload efficiently) but not the benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Put in 65 hours since the 27th. Started a new game the other day, no console cheats this time. Still having a good time.

I hope the rumors of an arctic DLC are true.