Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I haven't been paying attention to trade rumors for a while now. Is there actually any talk of trading Matthews or was this just a clickbait/fun hypothetical type of article?

Clickbaity as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
11 million is fine for Matthews anyways. If you consider him a superstar player, that means he'd for example be making like 2 million more than Malkin who signed his contract years and years ago. And even if you somehow managed to sign him to a more friendly deal, so what? Let's say he's at 9 million. Big fuckin' whoop. That 2 million is gonna get you a third pairing dman like Hunwick or some fourth liner.

You pay your top guys and figure out how to fit everyone else in later. You don't trade them for picks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Porty on The Athletic when asked about how the CBJ and Torts would handle the upcoming date with the Vegas Flu. Jackets will go to Vegas the Saturday before their Tuesday game, but, when asked about logistics about trips to "party cities" like Vancouver or Nashville:

The dollar value the players ran up on Torts' credit card is a piece of information I'd love to have in my life but will never know.

That sounds awesome. Odds are they probably just spent the day on their own dime then did a big dinner or something on Torts' card, but good on him.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

bewbies posted:

This article about Trading Auston Matthews is actually pretty good.

I feel like NHL teams don't do a great job yet of really analyzing dollar value of players. This is a good example; a player like Matthews on an AAV north of $12m makes it really hard to build the rest of the team.

No, this article is nonsense because it's basing almost everything around Matthews' usage and performance in his rookie season. 19 year-old Matthews isn't worth $12M, but he has plenty of growing to do and is already getting harder minutes than he was last season. Having said that, he has struggled a bit with injuries this season, but he's trending to be a dominant and very tangible-laden first line center at his peak. Not to mention that he has another year left on his ELC, so why panic now? His tiny salary would mainly be of benefit to a contending team, but contenders don't have a spare top defenseman and boatloads of futures to trade away.

Trading him for Ekman-Larsson + picks and prospects is a bizarre idea. The Leafs already have Rielly and Gardiner on the left side and OEL's contract is expiring next season along with Gardiner's. I suppose in principle a premiere defenseman at $6-7M and a middle-6 center at $4-5M could provide more value than Matthews, but that's presuming that Nylander can handle top line center duties. But sure, try trading Matthews for J. Staal + Faulk + Carolina's 1st in EHM and see what happens. Note that Faulk is having a lovely season and while OEL has good possession stats on a bad team, after seeing him basically create a goal against on his own against the Leafs, I'm not convinced that he's entirely blameless for his impressive -34 so far.

Anyway, the right answer is to keep Matthews, bury Matt Martin and toss Bozak off a cliff, and send Marleau off to Robidas island after this season. That should leave enough room to re-sign van Riemsdyk at a reasonable price (or another UFA if his demands are too high) and get a decent top four defenseman. Hainsey's only signed through next season, so he'll be gone once Matthews re-signs.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 11, 2018

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

iospace posted:

Two things here.

1. Army does sanction hockey, Division-I to be exact.
2. It's the Army Black Knights, which could be a point in Vegas's favor here.

Unlike the Dark Knights, which is an Air Force Intel Squadron.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

No, this article is nonsense because it's basing almost everything around Matthews' usage and performance in his rookie season.

It's also predicated that the Leafs need a #1 D man, and to do that they should trade away their #1 centre which would just result in them then needing another #1C. It's a horrendous article.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I hear Scott Darling is having a bad year. Perhaps he'd like to come home, since Q clearly has had his faith in Glass shattered. So, Carolina, we'll give you one (1) Brent Seabrook. You've got the cap space.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the oel for matthews rumors come from not-leafs and not-coyotes fans who don't realize that matthews isn't saving the coyotes on or off the ice and the coyotes overpaying for matthews is just going to make coyotes fans resent him. it's better to make a run at him as a ufa 5-10 years from now.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Can't Vegas just bribe the London Knights? Like kick them $100k a year? That's chump change for a NHL team, but pretty significant for a CHL club.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

He's an all-star player. No doubt. But does he fit the all-star culture?

This moment will never not be hilarious to me.
I'm pretty sure the Bruins have nothing left to show from that trade, too, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're still paying Jimmy Hayes' buyout.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

deoju posted:

Can't Vegas just bribe the London Knights? Like kick them $100k a year? That's chump change for a NHL team, but pretty significant for a CHL club.

They don't even need to do that. But their owner is a West Point grad who still has a military boner.

The Kitchener Rangers have the exact same name and jerseys without issue. The AHL used to have two teams called the Admirals. Norfolk is the Admirals again, in the ECHL. There are dozens of colleges called the Eagles, Tigers, Bulldogs, etc.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ElwoodCuse posted:

They don't even need to do that. But their owner is a West Point grad who still has a military boner.

The Kitchener Rangers have the exact same name and jerseys without issue. The AHL used to have two teams called the Admirals. Norfolk is the Admirals again, in the ECHL. There are dozens of colleges called the Eagles, Tigers, Bulldogs, etc.

Dancing Drones

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Aphrodite posted:

The Army has a Golden Knights parachute team. That’s what they cited when they disputed the trademark the first time.

Today they could and probably would have, but those names are like 90+ years old and paperwork was poo poo back then.

Vegas simply could not get Knights in Canada, because London exists. They need it in both countries, so it wasn’t an option.

They also cited McPhee going on the radio and saying that they picked the name because it's also the name of Army's parachute team.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The army has to defend it because copyright law is actually super dumb (and so they might not actually care), but saying it out like that is going to hurt them.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The best part of the Trading Matthews article is the indisputable logic of "the Oilers did a dumb thing, so obviously everyone has to follow their example".

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This moment will never not be hilarious to me.
I'm pretty sure the Bruins have nothing left to show from that trade, too, right?

Just money owed, afkik.

E: so less than nothing. Lol

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
For those who care, Canada’s Olympic team roster was just posted on their website:

I’m most surprised by the lack of any college players. It’s mostly older ex-NHLers and a few former prospects that didn’t pan out. The youngest player is 25.

Apparently they did invite Makar (from the WJC), and he turned them down.

e: there is a “Chay Genoway” on the team. This is not a made-up person.

e2: forgot the link
https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team-canada/men/olympics/2018/2018-men-olympic-hockey-team

bub spank fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 11, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bub spank posted:

Apparently they did invite Makar (from the WJC), and he turned them down.

That's... very strange.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

The best part of the Trading Matthews article is the indisputable logic of "the Oilers did a dumb thing, so obviously everyone has to follow their example".

i'm ok with the leafs doing dumb things like the oilers

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Embedded in a Tweet:

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/951502385045737473

Since we just talked NHL 18, I wasn't happy with the AHL D corps and signed Olympian Cody Goloubef as a depth defenseman for my Franchise. He's on the top pair in Cleveland.

e- BORK BORK BORK

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Christ, I don't have to cheer for Linden Vey again do I?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

bub spank posted:

e: there is a “Chay Genoway” on the team. This is not a made-up person.

PPG D-man in the NHL, impressive.

edit: This year's men's oly hockey players are going to have the shortest average height in decades I bet. Canada has 6 guys under 5'10" and US has 7.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 11, 2018

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Embedded in a Tweet:

Since we just talked NHL 18, I wasn't happy with the AHL D corps and signed Olympian Cody Goloubef as a depth defenseman for my Franchise. He's on the top pair in Cleveland.

let's see...
The Professor
Lappy
O'Dell (?! :lol:)

quote:

e- BORK BORK BORK
holy poo poo Chris Kelly still plays hockey
Derek Roy
Klinkhammer
Vey

holy poo poo this team is gonna get owned

e: no Iggy though :(

yellowcar fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 11, 2018

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
The leafs make so omuch money from Matthews jerseys that they will never trade him. This is also a major factor in the worth of star players

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
Maxim Lapierre - Canadian Olympian? Sign me up!

And by sign me up I mean I shant be watching.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those people would just buy someone else's jersey.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wippersnapper posted:

Maxim Lapierre - Canadian Olympian? Sign me up!

And by sign me up I mean I shant be watching.

Can't be much worse than Rob Zamuner

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

yellowcar posted:

let's see...
The Professor
Lappy
O'Dell (?! :lol:)

holy poo poo Chris Kelly still plays hockey
Derek Roy
Klinkhammer
Vey

holy poo poo this team is gonna get owned

The US team's initial roster doesn't look any better. Especially the goaltending.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

The US team's initial roster doesn't look any better. Especially the goaltending.

true but gently caress america

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
My god some of those photos look like the players are thinking "what the gently caress am i doing here" lmao

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

rob klinkhammer is going to score the game winning hit

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

CBJSprague24 posted:

Embedded in a Tweet:

e- BORK BORK BORK

The forwards and goalie seem pretty passable

the defense though, all those guys are made-up names

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

How in the world is Jarome Iginla on not on that roster?

hifi posted:

rob klinkhammer is going to score the game winning hit

drat you, now I'm quietly laughing like a jackass while staring at my phone in the cafeteria at work because of your post.

E- Wait, Wojtek Wolski is Canadian?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 11, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CBJSprague24 posted:

How in the world is Jarome Iginla on not on that roster?

drat you, now I'm quietly laughing like a jackass while staring at my phone in the cafeteria at work because of your post.

Iginla is actually worse than most of them. Not Chris Kelly though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Iginla's 40 years old and was a complete afterthought his last couple years with LA and Colorado.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think it was his last season in Colorado where they were deploying him almost exclusively in the offensive zone, and on a very bad team he was still being massively caved in relative to his teammates.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jordan7hm posted:

That's... very strange.

It'd be worth it just to get out of Amherst for a couple of weeks

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

E- Wait, Wojtek Wolski is Canadian?

He immigrated when he was like two.

Adbot