Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

One thing I've found (and only run into with mods) is that having too fast a use speed makes items not work. There was a speedy laser weapon from some mod and when I put on too many fire rate boosters it did the same thing.

Also agreeing that Ass_Burgerer probably has the truest and most concise statement on Starbound possible: they don't know what made Terraria good to begin with. Nor do I think they know what Starbound is even supposed to be.
Well, that's worrying, as another mod has a couple of possible upgrades crafted with the S.D.M.G. that are even faster. I mean, the set wasn't really an upgrade anyway other than the instant death chance, since something is preventing the Vortex Armor's stealth mode form actually slowing me down at all and that's a huge boost.

One thing I defintely missed in Starbound compared ot Terraria was the wide variety of mobility enhancing acessories. There's nothing like, say, wings in Starbound.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

When you're looking for more Terrarria, the best thing to do is mod the crap out of it. If you've already done that, I've yet to find a clone that competes with it.
I agree, I threw on Calamity and Thorium and several smaller mods and I'm having a blast here. AAnd if I get the urge for more terraria sometime in the future after I'm done here I can throw on a different selection of the big overhaul mods like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Zereth posted:

One thing I definitely missed in Starbound compared to Terraria was the wide variety of mobility enhancing accessories. There's nothing like, say, wings in Starbound.

There are definitely mods that add better mobility, BUT that's not the entire issue. The issue is that it makes everything waaay too easy. AND, starbound can't handle players moving fast for very long (chunk loading nonsense because starbound can't have the entire world loaded at once).

In terraria, you can get crazy mobility wings because you'll need it because there's monsters and bosses that'll pull you apart if you don't. In starbound, there's no monsters that can really compete with higher mobility. Difficulty in starbound is literally just increasing the damage numbers and health pools.

Starbound can't make you feel like goku like terraria can.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 19, 2017

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

terraria only loads a chunk of the world as well.

strangely, it manages to do this without harming gameplay. imagine that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Is there are mod that just takes me straight to the beginning of Hardmode? I don't want anything else, I just want to get past the tedious Wall of Flesh.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Prav posted:

terraria only loads a chunk of the world as well.

strangely, it manages to do this without harming gameplay. imagine that.

Then how come we're able to teleport anywhere and everywhere on the map at the drop of a hat? And with no stuttering or lag-loading whatevers?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Then how come we're able to teleport anywhere and everywhere on the map at the drop of a hat? And with no stuttering or lag-loading whatevers?

teleport to a distant, busy spot over a network connection and you will see both a delay before moving and some pop-in when you arrive

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Lorini posted:

Is there are mod that just takes me straight to the beginning of Hardmode? I don't want anything else, I just want to get past the tedious Wall of Flesh.

Check out Terracustom. It allows you to generate any kind of weird map you could possibly dream of, with all sorts of percentage sliders for every single generated thing, INCLUDING starting the game in hardmode.

I personally like the fact that I can play in a world with both crimson and corruption. And I can guarantee that one of the sword shrines is a real one, or guarantee at least one pyramid, etc etc.

Prav posted:

network connection

Oh, well there's your problem right there buddy. Multiplayer is, as usual, a whole other monster. It seems to throw a gigantic lovely wrench into every creative-type game that has it. Good thing I'm a big fat introvert.

Well in *SINGLEPLAYER* I can teleport everywhere just fine. Singleplayer starbound can't. Also starbound's monster AI can really poop the bed if your computer is getting even a little taxed.

But Starbound really could have been a better, true successor to terraria. It's just so sad that the development is so half baked and that it's hobbled by poor performance. And extremely good features like the fun-as-all-gently caress grappling hook being dusted off into the corner like it's nothing. What the gently caress chucklefish..

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 19, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Thanks Ass_

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ass_Burgerer posted:

There are definitely mods that add better mobility, BUT that's not the entire issue. The issue is that it makes everything waaay too easy. AND, starbound can't handle players moving fast for very long (chunk loading nonsense because starbound can't have the entire world loaded at once).

In terraria, you can get crazy mobility wings because you'll need it because there's monsters and bosses that'll pull you apart if you don't. In starbound, there's no monsters that can really compete with higher mobility. Difficulty in starbound is literally just increasing the damage numbers and health pools.

Starbound can't make you feel like goku like terraria can.
Hell, there isn't even anything like the goddamn lucky horseshoe in Starbound as far a I can tell. You can't disable falling damage without installing a mod or something. There used to be some techs that helped a ton with that problem, but they took those out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Trip report: Erilipah is awful garbage and shoudn't be installed. Not only are the bosses beyond unfair (lots of early enemies drop spawners for one that's a huge pain in the rear end even with post-moonlord gear and even manages to mostly evade cheat sheet's enemy butcherer), it also makes it impossible to do anything in the sky by taking away all air control and randomly freezing you for 10 seconds at a time.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Because Terraria's engine, as flawed as it is, is at least able to load chunks quickly enough that the player doesn't notice any wait. Chunk-loading stuff is pretty common, it doesn't have to be so slow that the player can walk into unloaded areas.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Trip report: Erilipah is awful garbage and shoudn't be installed. Not only are the bosses beyond unfair (lots of early enemies drop spawners for one that's a huge pain in the rear end even with post-moonlord gear and even manages to mostly evade cheat sheet's enemy butcherer), it also makes it impossible to do anything in the sky by taking away all air control and randomly freezing you for 10 seconds at a time.
Like, the boss does this, or this just randomly happens when the mod is installed?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

Like, the boss does this, or this just randomly happens when the mod is installed?

The air control + freeze thing just happens if you're in space, so small world sky islands are practically inaccessible and good luck fighting any sky bosses from other mods. Cross the line into space and you tumble out of control, suffer greatly increased knockback, and randomly freeze.

The boss mentioned summoned off an innocuous looking item that drops off like half the prehardmode mobs. Summons a pair of super fast moving bosses that spam 100+ damage wall piercing projectiles in between debuffing your speed to a crawl and generally refusing to stay on screen.

The other boss I fought teleported around (mostly inside walls) spamming projectiles and then became invulnerable for a good 30 seconds before restoring its health to full.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 23, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wow, and I was pissed about reading that a boss in Calamity I haven't gotten to yet makes wings much shittier and also goes "nah" and kills you if you take too many hits during the fight. Like, get hit 30 times and it kills you even if you have some accessory which revives you if you die from another mod. "gently caress you if you get too close to the top of the map" is, wow.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Ahahahahahaaa sounds like FUN, what rear end in a top hat programmed that

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Like what's even the justification for that? Freezing in the cold or what?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

Wow, and I was pissed about reading that a boss in Calamity I haven't gotten to yet makes wings much shittier and also goes "nah" and kills you if you take too many hits during the fight. Like, get hit 30 times and it kills you even if you have some accessory which revives you if you die from another mod. "gently caress you if you get too close to the top of the map" is, wow.

The superboss of Calamity was really easy to cheese (basically just post-moonlord Twins) so now it generates its own unmineable arena and autokills you if your defenses are too strong thanks to other mods. Afaik it only does that in extra masochist harder than expert mode and then in Death mode (which used to be one hit kills all around) any hit cancels all buffs on you and disables all armor and accessories for a few seconds.

I Said No posted:

Like what's even the justification for that? Freezing in the cold or what?

The debuff is named "thermosphere" and says some bullshit about your body not being made for that altitude. There's an accessory to block it but ugh.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 24, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

The superboss of Calamity was really easy to cheese (basically just post-moonlord Twins) so now it generates its own unmineable arena and autokills you if your defenses are too strong thanks to other mods. Afaik it only does that in extra masochist harder than expert mode and then in Death mode (which used to be one hit kills all around) any hit cancels all buffs on you and disables all armor and accessories for a few seconds.
I wonder if arranging to have a 100% dodge chance would work against it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

I wonder if arranging to have a 100% dodge chance would work against it.

I've not tested it but it'll either make you completely immune or trigger the you took too little damage from a hit instadeath.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

at that point i have to wonder why people are trying to go through so many gymnastics to make the awful combat in terraria even worse

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Doing a playthrough with a friend, we encountered hardmode, and poo poo is suddenly in the 'no joke' territory.

It is kinda refreshing going from getting acclimated and comfortable with the current array of threats and then it puts all the fuckin chips on the table.

Also my plan of dragging a Wyvern down to have the NPCs help me kill it backfired tremendously. I am now responsible for several deaths.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Xenaero posted:

Doing a playthrough with a friend, we encountered hardmode, and poo poo is suddenly in the 'no joke' territory.

It is kinda refreshing going from getting acclimated and comfortable with the current array of threats and then it puts all the fuckin chips on the table.

Also my plan of dragging a Wyvern down to have the NPCs help me kill it backfired tremendously. I am now responsible for several deaths.

They probably deserved it.

Anyway, is this your first excursion with Terraria? If so, then welcome! This game is great for exactly that feeling you described. Back on release, that's the feeling many of us had when we killed Skeletron for the first time and had a whole new world (read: dungeon) to contend with. Imagine how we felt when they added hardmode. As a person who really likes the feeling of accomplishment you get for unlocking content you didn't actually know existed, this game scratches all of my itches.

Feel free to post trip reports on your many horrendous deaths that are in the future, we're into that.

fake edit: Just out of curiosity, are you doing a normal or expert world?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I successfully went after Wyverns in really early hardmode the other day by using a magic dagger (which you could get immediately from a Mimic) and running away from it back to my house where I had mana statues, heart statues / lantern / campfire, and slime/crab statues to give me invincibility frames. Got enough souls now for wings, but if I'm putting on wings I want them to have a modifier since I lose two other accessories with good modifiers, and I don't want to invest gold in a modifier until I have the best wings I can make for a while (ice?) so I'm still just going around with no wings...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I successfully went after Wyverns in really early hardmode the other day by using a magic dagger (which you could get immediately from a Mimic) and running away from it back to my house where I had mana statues, heart statues / lantern / campfire, and slime/crab statues to give me invincibility frames. Got enough souls now for wings, but if I'm putting on wings I want them to have a modifier since I lose two other accessories with good modifiers, and I don't want to invest gold in a modifier until I have the best wings I can make for a while (ice?) so I'm still just going around with no wings...
Keep in mind wings include no fall damage, so you can put away your lucky horseshoe and equip something more useful.

I don't think the modifiers are really that big of a deal, so just make the first wings you possibly can and then upgrade them later.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'd be taking off my blue horseshoe balloon and my frostspark boots, both of which get kind of obseleted by wings, but they both have "violent" or something on them for increased melee speed and I'd have to pay to modify two new things to make up for it.... unless I just keep the frostspark boots on for their modifier and minor flight boost, and only pay to modify the wings -- hadn't considered that yet

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo, I hadn't played this since I think 1.1 and decided to fire it up again because someone mentioned it.

:stare:

There are so many changes and I am still so bad at this game. I just beat the Wall of Flesh and kinda feel like I rushed through easy mode but :shrug: I've got a full set of molten armor and gear, and carved out a 6-wide tunnel around my current home base and the surrounding area and lined the outside with boreal wood (don't know how many blocks the full thing is but enough to do massive expansion, not super deep though) because I read you should do that to keep hard mode from loving over your housing. I have no idea what to do now, I managed to crack a couple of those demon alters so the new ore spawned before I got slaughtered by the new enemies.

Also I suck at house building, mostly because I can't decide between utilitarian and actually spending time to make something nice for the NPCs.

Also I can fish now? WTF. And mounts? Seriously what should I be doing, there is so much to do

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 11, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Holy poo poo, I hadn't played this since I think 1.1 and decided to fire it up again because someone mentioned it.

:stare:

There are so many changes and I am still so bad at this game. I just beat the Wall of Flesh and kinda feel like I rushed through easy mode but :shrug: I've got a full set of molten armor and gear, and carved out a 6-wide tunnel around my current home base and the surrounding area (don't know how many blocks wide but enough to do massive expansion, not super deep though) because I read you should do that to keep hard mode from loving over your housing. I have no idea what to do now, I managed to crack a couple of those demon alters so the new ore spawned before I got slaughtered by the new enemies.

Also I suck at house building, mostly because I can't decide between utilitarian and actually spending time to make something nice for the NPCs.

Also I can fish now? WTF. And mounts? Seriously what should I be doing, there is so much to do

You don't need to worry about hardmode killing your housing anymore. Corruption spread is much, much slower now.

As for what to do: break more altars, about 9 or so in total should be fine. Then go hang out at the top of hell digging up the new ores. Hardmode hell mobs don't show up til later so it's pretty safe down there. Then kill dudes in the sky til you can make wings. You may want to farm wall of flesh for his accessory drops. After that you might be ready to take on the first batch of hardmode bosses, or you can grind out drops underground.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
RE: wingchat

A good thing to remember is that witch doctor sells unique items if he's housed in the jungle. If you wait until night (again, in the jungle) he sells the leaf wings which are almost on the same tier as frozen/flame wings without having to grind biome enemies.

Unfortunately they also cost 1 platinum coin, so take that into consideration if you're short on funds.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I'd be taking off my blue horseshoe balloon and my frostspark boots, both of which get kind of obseleted by wings

They actually improve the wings a bit, so they don't become completely useless once you have wings.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

They actually improve the wings a bit, so they don't become completely useless once you have wings.

Frostspark boots also improve moving around on the ground, which you're still going to be doing a lot of. I strongly recommend keeping them on.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh Frog Leg does something now with wings? I couldn't get Frog Leg to do anything when I equipped it pre-hardmode (I'm playing on mobile though). I'll try it out, sounds pretty powerful so maybe it's the one to invest a modifier in?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Oh Frog Leg does something now with wings? I couldn't get Frog Leg to do anything when I equipped it pre-hardmode (I'm playing on mobile though). I'll try it out, sounds pretty powerful so maybe it's the one to invest a modifier in?

Frog Leg doubles your normal jump height and speed. Should be very noticeable.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Hyedum posted:

fake edit: Just out of curiosity, are you doing a normal or expert world?

Normal, expert probably would have murdered us, hardmode is an entirely new addition for my crew. We MAY go back and start an expert world afterwords, who knows.
Pre-real poo poo mode story: my friend accidentally pissed off the Bee Queen while working on our Jungle expedition, and the star sword he had woke her up and things went into panic mode instantly.
We got molten armor now and we're hanging on barely but the Destroyer showed up and absolutely decimated us. So we need to start yet another underground expedition.

The guide is unbelievably helpful now, and it turns out we don't need a lava pit for garbage item disposal anymore.

There's a lot of new poo poo. A LOT OF NEW poo poo. I forgot how much fun this game was.

Also I changed strategy. I didn't need a few thousand stone block to build a sky transportation system anymore. I just needed a lot of iron this time around. Zoom zoom baby.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

dis astranagant posted:

Frog Leg doubles your normal jump height and speed. Should be very noticeable.

Just opened the game and tried it more carefully. It's subtle compared to the other accessories (which effectively more than double jump height) so I guess I just didn't notice. The "consecutive jumping" part I know I tried before and couldn't get to work before... I wonder why because it works now.

Maybe it's another bug because it reminds me of the one where sometimes I'll have an item selected in my hotbar but pressing "use" does nothing until I select a different one and then back again. Died to the Wall of Flesh last time because I had my Drax selected and thought I was drilling into it and couldn't see through all of the Hungries that that bug was in fact happening and I was doing nothing.

Another similar bug makes certain items (like the mirror) do nothing if you have a fishing line cast, so you have to switch the selected item off of your pole to some intermediate item and then the mirror. Makes for some tense failed escapes sometimes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Just opened the game and tried it more carefully. It's subtle compared to the other accessories (which effectively more than double jump height) so I guess I just didn't notice. The "consecutive jumping" part I know I tried before and couldn't get to work before... I wonder why because it works now.

Sounds buggy. It's effectively a better red balloon on PC, and stacks with it to let you clear something like 16 tiles a jump.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's really amazing how much better minecarts are in this game than in Minecraft.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Vib Rib posted:

It's really amazing how much better minecarts are in this game than in Minecraft.

Minecarts in this game are pretty rad, but what's wrong with Minecraft minecarts?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ugh I suck at this game :sad: I got owned by the Destroyer. I've got a full Titanium set of armor (mask for headgear), an Angry Obsidian shield, and *checks list* oh none of my other accessories modify damage or defense. I have a Dao of Pow which I tried to use against it but I don't even think I got 10k damage done to it in my arena before it murdered me. gonna have to do some grinding for better accessories I think and maybe switch to ranged stuff because even though I like melee a bow or gun with good ammo would be helpful trying to evade that thing. Or should I go for a better melee weapon? My Dao has 73 damage which should be enough, maybe I'm not moving enough.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Get a Daedelus Stormbow, craft a stack of holy arrows, and watch it melt.

If you don't want to farm hallowed mimics for the stormbow, any repeater with holy arrows will do quite well too, but the stormbow makes it a one sided stomp.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ugh I suck at this game :sad: I got owned by the Destroyer. I've got a full Titanium set of armor (mask for headgear), an Angry Obsidian shield, and *checks list* oh none of my other accessories modify damage or defense. I have a Dao of Pow which I tried to use against it but I don't even think I got 10k damage done to it in my arena before it murdered me. gonna have to do some grinding for better accessories I think and maybe switch to ranged stuff because even though I like melee a bow or gun with good ammo would be helpful trying to evade that thing. Or should I go for a better melee weapon? My Dao has 73 damage which should be enough, maybe I'm not moving enough.

In addition to the above, most bosses can be made much easier by getting some heart statues and wiring them to timers.

Onyx blaster with crystal bullets also does quite well in most any situation. If you must go melee, spears work well against destroyer, or yoyos with the yoyo bag, or maybe ice sickle or whatever you fish up in your world's evil biome.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 12, 2018