Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

So I copped off that one Cataphract build from earlier since I took the 3L from the holiday event, that sucker's fun. I went with the MLs and light ferro and tacked an extra ML onto the right arm to make it a full 5, for the cost of one of the gauss ammo stocks. Felt pretty good so far, with all that laser I can afford to hang back a little when I want or need and then just stomp up to softened targets and heavy gauss their face off.

But onto another bit, I'm finally gonna pick up an Ebon Jag and figured I'd ask, this look like a decent enough mess around setup?

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Yardbomb posted:

What's the run down on those by the way? For scouting I've mostly ran my ACH because my one actual clan medium (Stormcrow) is 5 tons too fat, so my fast little MGs and MLs guy is fun, but with how much I run up against Bushwackers who just won't die I feel like I want someone beefier.

Pretty much recently I've been transitioning into faction play, so with help from you dudes I've been trying to supe up my roster and it's worked pretty well so far.

The Hunchie has great weapon space and spare tonnage, but is real fragile. Bad hitboxes, broad torso. It gets focused down easily and I think of them as almost free kills.

The Huntsman is a good mech. Durable, decent hitboxes, and can do funny things with a crapload of SRMs. It's the Clans workhorse and you should have one.

I personally fear more the laser vomit Ice Ferrets, as they outrange SRMs and can stay at range all the match. Jenners IIC with 6SRMs are also legit terrifying when used by a decent pilot who can shoot and run. Same thing with Arctic Wolves, although they are MC only for a few months.

Yardbomb posted:

So I copped off that one Cataphract build from earlier since I took the 3L from the holiday event, that sucker's fun. I went with the MLs and light ferro and tacked an extra ML onto the right arm to make it a full 5, for the cost of one of the gauss ammo stocks. Felt pretty good so far, with all that laser I can afford to hang back a little when I want or need and then just stomp up to softened targets and heavy gauss their face off.

But onto another bit, I'm finally gonna pick up an Ebon Jag and figured I'd ask, this look like a decent enough mess around setup?

It's decent. I'd drop the laser and some arm armor for another heatsink. My favorite is 2UAC10+8ERSL. 80 damage burst.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Sparq posted:

It's decent. I'd drop the laser and some arm armor for another heatsink. My favorite is 2UAC10+8ERSL. 80 damage burst.

The one annoyance is that for what it's got going on it kind of needs the pissy little slot filler there, mainly so both those PPCs go up to the high ear mounts, cause if it's just the two then one goes up top and the other's down in the body. That one you mentioned sounds like a bunch of fun too though, got a link or anything I could shamelessly copy keep on hand?

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
As a new player, I was wondering if we could get the OP updated with the new mechs and what people think of them. Also, the folks recommending the Griffin-2N for a starter mech were absolutely correct. I love SRM boating, and this thing is a ton of fun and has taught me a ton about timing, twisting and having the enemy eat my arms, and staying alert to other SRM boats trying to do the same thing to me. I've been able to sneak behind LRM boats and core them several times now, and hunting scouts and other mediums has been an absolute blast.

Either way, playing with you folks on Discord has been a blast, if not a bit frustrating sometimes with my total lack of understanding and ability to do damage.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

fromoutofnowhere posted:

As a new player, I was wondering if we could get the OP updated with the new mechs and what people think of them. Also, the folks recommending the Griffin-2N for a starter mech were absolutely correct. I love SRM boating, and this thing is a ton of fun and has taught me a ton about timing, twisting and having the enemy eat my arms, and staying alert to other SRM boats trying to do the same thing to me. I've been able to sneak behind LRM boats and core them several times now, and hunting scouts and other mediums has been an absolute blast.

Either way, playing with you folks on Discord has been a blast, if not a bit frustrating sometimes with my total lack of understanding and ability to do damage.

It's good as hell, isn't it? Make sure you fire the SRMs all at once instead of one-by-one and you can do some real scary damage to people.

We'd probably have to do an overhaul of the OP entirely because quirks changes and new tech have changed a lot of mechs around in the overall meta. The Wolfhound is probably the best light right now, one of the Mist Lynx variants is good, the Bushwhackers went from decent to super-powerful.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!
Yea the OP does need an update, or maybe a new thread is in order.

Regardless if you are just starting the game and looking at what mechs to buy that are good, forgiving, and useful in quick play, below is a list that may help. This is just my humble opinion.

Lights:
C-Bills: Wolfhound-2 with med pulses.
MC: K-9 with mediums.

Mediums:
C-Bills: Bushwhacker X-1 or X-2 with torso ballistics.
Assassin 21 with SRMs.
MC: Pakhet with SRMs.

Heavies:
C-Bills: Grasshopper 5P with lasers.
Warhammer 6R with ballistics or lasers.
Ebon Jaguar with lasers.
MC: Top Dog with (you guessed it) lasers.

Assault:
C-Bills: Annihilator 2A/1A with heavy gauss.
Mauler MX-90 with ballistics.
Mad Cat Mk2 with gauss and lasers.
MC: Death Strike with gauss and lasers.
Scorch with SRMs and LBX
Sleipnir with heavy gauss.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The most important thing to note about the K-9 is to frequently press the L key, which blares your little cop sirens and raises morale.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
folks who Assassin: SRM4s or 6s on the -21?

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Corn Burst posted:

Regardless if you are just starting the game and looking at what mechs to buy that are good, forgiving, and useful in quick play, below is a list that may help. This is just my humble opinion.

Lights:

Mediums:
C-Bills: Bushwhacker X-1 or X-2 with torso ballistics.
Assassin 21 with SRMs.
MC: Pakhet with SRMs.

Heavies:
C-Bills: Grasshopper 5P with lasers.
Warhammer 6R with ballistics or lasers.
Ebon Jaguar with lasers.
MC: Top Dog with (you guessed it) lasers.

Assault:
C-Bills: Annihilator 2A/1A with heavy gauss.
Mauler MX-90 with ballistics.
Mad Cat Mk2 with gauss and lasers.
MC: Death Strike with gauss and lasers.
Scorch with SRMs and LBX
Sleipnir with heavy gauss.

I'm on the fence about the MX-90. I think the quad LBX-10 or UAC KDK-3 out ranks it still.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh lordy Mad Cat IICs are on sale now aren't they?

Which ones are you guys looking to buy?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 10, 2018

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Artificer posted:

They are available for cbills, but they aren't being discounted. The are for sale, not on sale.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Artificer posted:

The good variants are the MCII-2 (brawling), MCII-B (dakka), and the Deathstrike (gauss vomit). The MCII-1 can also do a bad impression of the DS if you don't want to spend MC on the best mech in the game.

The MCII-4 and MCII-A are garbage, don't bother with them.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 10, 2018

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Edit: bad repost for some reason.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

fromoutofnowhere posted:

MDD-A

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Is there a good Clan heavy or assault for slinging ballistic weapons around? I played with a couple trial mechs with ACs and really like it.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

TheKingslayer posted:

Is there a good Clan heavy or assault for slinging ballistic weapons around? I played with a couple trial mechs with ACs and really like it.

Mad Cat MkIIs (specifically the Deathstrike).

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The DS is more for gauss vomit.

For heavy ballistics you want the MCII-B. In addition to running the standard double ultra 5/10s and having all the poo poo that makes the MCII good, it also has the unique bonus of lower arm actuators, which gives you an incredible amount of coverage on your guns.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 10, 2018

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Corn Burst posted:

Lights:

Also: MC: Pirate's Bane with stealth armor and med lasers. I'd argue that a Pirate's Bane is the best buy for MC with what you can do with it right now.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Corn Burst posted:

If folks are okay with a new thread, I don't mind writing a new OP. I'll probably be playing this dumb game for a while yet.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I don't think many people would begrudge having an updated OP. We're severely lacking in good new thread titles though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

BattleTech posted:

Also: MC: Pirate's Bane with stealth armor and med lasers. I'd argue that a Pirate's Bane is the best buy for MC with what you can do with it right now.

Pirate's Bane kicks rear end and is super cheap to boot, so just echoing this.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
The thread op while good (and meme-y) is from 2015, a lot changes in 3 years (but not :pgi:).

aniviron posted:

I don't think many people would begrudge having an updated OP. We're severely lacking in good new thread titles though.

Mechwarrior Online: Battlegrounds Edition. Or just reuse my title from the first thread (Reactor Online, Sensors Online, Mechwarrior Online, All Systems Nominal).

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Mechwarrior Online: He called for locks. Teamkill is mine.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

MechWarrior Online: The Hills Have LRMboats

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Mechwarrior Online: Wait for a sale

Honestly I don't think putting builds in the OP is that great. I've seen a bunch of iterations of it and eventually the data becomes obsolete and the OP loses interest. New mechs in, old mechs dequirked, etc etc.

Maybe just a quick blurb about each mech, suggested variants. Blurbs about each the weapons. General info on roles, and build themes (dual gauss, laser vomit, SRM boats, jumpsnipers, bombers, lights, dakka builds, etc)

Maybe general weapon advice as well. And general skill tree advice. And just general advice about deadsiding, or high-mounts for hill humping, poo poo like that.

In the end just stress hopping on discord and asking for our middling advice

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I still have saved a whole PowerPoint of MWO basics somewhere.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Rysithusiku posted:

I still have saved a whole PowerPoint of MWO basics somewhere.

that ppt is still excellent

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Alright, I have no idea how good it actually is, or if it has a decent place in the current meta, but I've been running a Crab 27B to good effect[1]. If you like cheap builds, spewing out lots of pulse lasers, surviving tons of damage, and clacking your claws menacingly at teammates[2] this one might do the trick.

I first found the Crab because it was on sale. That, and I was looking for a medium mech that was up to date. I had fond memories of playing a Centurion 9-A, the nearly unkillable brawler that could keep fighting without 3/4 of its limbs. I was sad to hear that after four years of being away, the 9A was no longer the beast it had been. I only had a Raven 3L, Catapult A1 and K2, and Atlas D-DC on my account so I must have sold the 9A beforehand. :shrug:

In any case, the Crab has turned out to be a fun and tough little mech for me. The low price tag was a bonus (~5.7 million for a complete build without it being on sale and not counting skills). There are two different versions of the Medium Pulse Laser build that I went through. The main difference is the engine and AMS. Both versions run a little hot, but are perfectly playable even without a skill tree or consumables. There are probably many ways to tweak the builds (light engine instead of an XL perhaps, armor balancing) and skill tree since I'm sure they are not optimized.

STD 250: This build uses the stock engine. Doing so saves a huge chunk of c-bills at the cost of a slightly lower top speed and a single less heatsink. It's also quite a bit tankier.
XL 300: This build uses an XL 300 because I had a spare. The higher speed and ability to run AMS are quite useful and my survivability does not seem to have dropped by much. Admittedly, I'm still working off four years of rust and I generally die fairly quickly no matter what. An XL 305 would also work at the cost of losing AMS. However, either engine nearly doubles the cost of the ENTIRE build.
Skill tree: Get the 13 points in Mech Operations ASAP. After that, fill out Armor Structure and Weapons.

I've found that playing this build as an assassin works the best. 81-97 KPH means you can move fairly quickly and flank around to shoot butts. If the target turns around before you managed to core them, you're probably capable of brawling with them if needed. You can survive a good amount of damage but that doesn't mean you should be engaging in straight-up fights all the time. For teamfights, just remember to think like a crab. To be like a crab. Scuttle sideways around the edges and swoop in to pinch toes.

I'm not sure if I would recommend this as starter mech, but I enjoy playing it and it seems somewhat forgiving.

1. A total fluke of a game where people ignored the Crab scooting around and shooting them.
2. Press the / key to open your claws. Press again to close them. There are little lights in your cockpit that are green when the claws are open and red when they are closed. Keep them closed most of the time.

fromoutofnowhere posted:

What build are you using? I'd like a link since I currently only have the medium mech mentioned above and I also enjoy SRM boating.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

TheKingslayer posted:

As already mentioned, MCII-B, but don't forget about the KDK-3. It is still good even though it was hit hard in the engine decoupling nerf.
It can do 4xLBX10 or 2xUAC/5,2xUAC/10 just like the MCII-B. Personally I have the KDK3 for the LBX build and the MCII for the UAC build.

If you want a good ballistic clan brawler I can suggest the ON1-IIC-C, it is a 75ton clan heavy. The loadout is 2xUAC/10 and 3xSRM6-A and it's really fun and powerful mech to play.
ON1-IIC-C: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=375&l=4d8094bc715c6ff190362dd68d4556a9c625b7f0

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I have been an evangelist for the CRB-27B for years, it's great. Pretty much all I take to IS scouting. I run something very very close to your STD250 build and it's quite good. You won't always end up with the highest damage numbers but you can concentrate the damage very well thanks to the very short burn duration. The one thing I would add to your story is that the you know a dangerous enemy immediately by whether or not they target your legs. If they go for your buttery crab legs back off immediately and come at them a different way when you have the opportunity. Everyone else is going to spread their damage all over your upper body and they are not nearly as much of a threat as people who actually know what to do against a Crab.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Willfrey posted:

Honestly I don't think putting builds in the OP is that great. I've seen a bunch of iterations of it and eventually the data becomes obsolete and the OP loses interest. New mechs in, old mechs dequirked, etc etc.

In this case, at least, I would update the OP before peacing out on the thread. I think any OP should have at least some solid starter builds as the MechLab is far and away the more complicated thing for new players to grapple with, and there isn't really a good resource for up to date builds since MetaMechs stopped updating.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Shot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMbezW28mo

Chaser:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/217318149?t=03h06m01s

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I'm on board with a new thread started by Skippy, he knows what he is talking about, even brawling builds. I just request that the first post is neutral when explaining the different ways that you can play the game. Explain the different "metas" like brawling, laservomit, gauss (eugh) and the different roles the mechs have and what makes them good and bad and what makes brawling the best forever and ever.

Maybe also put together a list of beginner friendly mechs, like truly beginner friendly and explain what makes it easy to use. For example the 4xLBX10 KDK-3, just point and click. No mechs that require map knowledge or intimate knowledge about other builds, just simple builds that are easy and fun to use. TDR-9SE 3xLPL, that kind of stuff.

Man...if someone just could make a new/updated metamechs. It was so easy when I started playing to just go there, browse the OBJECTIVELY best builds and pick the one that looked interesting to play. And you knew that you could wreck face with it if you just put in the hours because GMAN himself said it was good.

metamechs....come back, sometimes I got there just to look at the twinked out XL engine 4 back armor builds :cry:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

I'm on board with a new thread started by Skippy, he knows what he is talking about, even brawling builds. I just request that the first post is neutral when explaining the different ways that you can play the game. Explain the different "metas" like brawling, laservomit, gauss (eugh) and the different roles the mechs have and what makes them good and bad and what makes brawling the best forever and ever.

Maybe also put together a list of beginner friendly mechs, like truly beginner friendly and explain what makes it easy to use. For example the 4xLBX10 KDK-3, just point and click. No mechs that require map knowledge or intimate knowledge about other builds, just simple builds that are easy and fun to use. TDR-9SE 3xLPL, that kind of stuff.

Man...if someone just could make a new/updated metamechs. It was so easy when I started playing to just go there, browse the OBJECTIVELY best builds and pick the one that looked interesting to play. And you knew that you could wreck face with it if you just put in the hours because GMAN himself said it was good.

metamechs....come back, sometimes I got there just to look at the twinked out XL engine 4 back armor builds :cry:

co-sign on this. I can do a new "quick summary of this mech" list too

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MechWarrior Online: My trashcan is augmented

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

That second clip makes me real sad.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Mechwarrior Online: Fox2fox2fox2fox2fox2fox2fox2

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Yardbomb posted:

The one annoyance is that for what it's got going on it kind of needs the pissy little slot filler there, mainly so both those PPCs go up to the high ear mounts, cause if it's just the two then one goes up top and the other's down in the body. That one you mentioned sounds like a bunch of fun too though, got a link or anything I could shamelessly copy keep on hand?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Mechwarrior Online: Salted Beef Edition: Do you think you're impossible to find?

Mechwarrior Online: Salted Beef Edition: You don't understand who I know.

Mechwarrior Online: Salted Beef Edition: Alright, keep laughing

Mechwarrior Online: Salted Beef Edition: I dare you to come for me

Crazyeyes24 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

Polka_Rapper posted:

What build are you using? I'd like a link since I currently only have the medium mech mentioned above and I also enjoy SRM boating.

It's the standard Griffin-2n with just 4 SRM6's slapped on and as much ammo as I can pack in the corners. I'm still learning about skills and other crap.

• Locked thread