Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's a lot of straight up Lego pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, wow, that's a fairly significantly hybridized set, usually it's 99% technic beams/pins/panels but this looks to be more brick-focused in a big way. The internal mechanisms are likely all technic but that's a whole bunch of regular stuff on the outside.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems fair to me considering how many "lego sets" rely extensively on technic beams these days.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

xzzy posted:

Seems fair to me considering how many "lego sets" rely extensively on technic beams these days.
why is that in quotes, do technic beams disqualify legos from being legos, or what

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well yeah, lego sets are the traditional sticking bricks together sets, and technic sets are gears and axles and holes in the side of bricks.

They obviously all still click together the same but once upon a time the two almost never crossed paths.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think it is because Technic frames give a more solid frame/base to build upon. They also open up build possibilities that just aren't there using normal bricks only. I don't see a problem with it or even differentiate. It's all Lego.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
It's a good change.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wasn't saying it was a problem. I was being facetious.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Feces ish.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Wax Dynasty posted:

The Technic Mack Truck was just unveiled:

2,595 pieces.

Are those stickers on the big pieces on the side

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure every graphic on that is a sticker.

Fortunately it doesn't look like the model relies on them for much and it would look just as cool without.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Scipiotik posted:

It's a good change.

I agree. I like Technic for it's functional parts like suspension and gears and poo poo, but I also really like the lego sets with fleshed out lego bodies. I hope this is their path forward. Technic panels are ok and all, but they are super specific and only work in certain circumstances. I would really like to see some cars from creator expert sets come with real suspension and steering racks.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am on the fence about th Mack, I think it's a a very beautiful model but it's a littl small, they had to scale it down and use a functional but brick built engine. The biggest thing that I dislike is the trailer, it's a container loading trailer which I guess is realistic but booking in comparison to old model team sets that towed Jets or helicopters.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Technic models all look like poo poo on the outside but succeed at being really cool on the inside with all the functional mechanical bits and stuff and that truck hopefully means the end of that era and the beginning of a new era where tech is models both have all the cool mechanical insides but also look decent.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Made the London bus a few days ago, really liking it. Wonder what the next one is going to be :)

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Had my first ever bad experience on BL. Guy took forever to send invoice, then when the set arrived a bunch of missing pieces. Hopefully he responds quickly.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wonder how many bricks from 1958 or whatever are still floating around and if they're still usable. I have some old old off-whites from maybe 1985 that still work but you can tell the fading alongside new white ones.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Electromax posted:

I wonder how many bricks from 1958 or whatever are still floating around and if they're still usable. I have some old old off-whites from maybe 1985 that still work but you can tell the fading alongside new white ones.
I had a handful of pre-70s bricks and most of them were twisted or otherwise warped. No telling if they were ever stored on a super hot attic or something though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a handful of the old red windows:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=453bc01#T=C

They came from a set my mom had as a kid and they hold just fine.

Guess there's not much demand for them because you can buy them dirt cheap too.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
I missed out on the scarif stormtrooper polybag if anyone picked up an extra they’d sell.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Anyone get an extra of the microscale anniversary set and want to flip it my way? Please PM me if so :)

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

kensei posted:

Anyone get an extra of the microscale anniversary set and want to flip it my way? Please PM me if so :)

Hello person from the future.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

(It's not available until the 28th)

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Oh em gee Magnimite!

Sorry for the Mega Blox chatter, but these Pokemon ones are kind of great. I love buildable beast/monster sets, so these are hit me right in the right spot.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Scipiotik posted:

Hello person from the future.

xzzy posted:

(It's not available until the 28th)

Ah well then, if you get an extra let me know!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What are the left two themes?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

What are the left two themes?

The 4 sets being revisited are the 6399 Airport Shuttle from 1990, 375 Castle from 1978, 6285 Black Seas Barracuda from 1989, and 497 Galaxy Explorer from 1979.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

6399 Airport Shuttle

375 Castle

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which is a crap set to select because everyone knows the One True Monorail Set is 6990.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I have at least one complete Barracuda and I think 2 nearly complete ones and they still are the best Lego pirate ship ever.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Both correct opinions.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

xzzy posted:

Which is a crap set to select because everyone knows the One True Monorail Set is 6990.

To be fair, they already did a microscale version of that one:

I always liked 6991 the most out of the monorails

1000 Brown M and Ms fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 13, 2018

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one

xzzy posted:

Wrong. I present 6991:

First of all it has switch tracks, second of all the cars are modular and third, this commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cusvoOu3rYw

It is just as glorious in person, my wife got it for me for christmas three years ago after telling her it was one of my childhood favorites I never got.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

dangittj posted:

Wrong. I present 6991:

First of all it has switch tracks, second of all the cars are modular and third, this commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cusvoOu3rYw

It is just as glorious in person, my wife got it for me for christmas three years ago after telling her it was one of my childhood favorites I never got.

Ouch, that one goes for over $400 used on BL.

I really want a space monorail set. :(

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Good luck bro. Monorails are loving expensive. I just got 6991 before Christmas for relatively cheap, and it was still the most expensive set I've ever bought.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
This Slave 1 build keeps getting better and better. Just finished putting the bulky wing mechanism pods on. That's about 2/3-3/4 of the way through and was probably the most interesting assembly yet. Makes me double down on my feeling that the Saturn V would have been better off built in reverse order.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And when you’re done with that it’s mandatory to get the new Boba Fett figure!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
$30 though?? And I can’t believe they want $40 for Vader.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I saw the Chewbacca one in a display at target today and it's one of the ugliest things I've ever seen Lego make. I really don't like those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
K-2SO is the only one that really works