Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Is there some reason you didn’t say PhD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Hungry Computer posted:

A bunch of tickets came in: Some of our Win10 1607 machines have started automatically downloading and installing the 1709 update despite it not being approved on WSUS, and these PCs were set by GP to only install security updates, and the update is installing outside of the update window set by group policy. Thanks Microsoft :thumbsup:

I had to reject it in order for my machines not to get them. RIP.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
gently caress it. <approves all patches in WSUS>

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

The Fool posted:

Apparently it's a thing! Doctor of Philosophy - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Philosophy
A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD, Ph.D., DPhil, or Dr. phil.; Latin Philosophiae Doctor) is the highest academic degree awarded by universities in most countries

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Fool posted:

There are other types of research doctorates in the UK.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Macaroni posted:

My mother in law refuses to go straight to any website. She'll Google the company she's looking for, and after that will look for the browser history link to that Google search.
My mom doesn't use the location or search bar at all. She accesses the 5-6 sites she uses through bookmarks, and if she needs to go to an unfamiliar site she'll ask my father to "install" (i.e bookmark) it for her.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If more people did that we'd definitely have fewer malware problems in the world.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Fool posted:

Is there some reason you didn�t say PhD?

According to Oxford, it is a DPhil. So I called it a DPhil.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
A ticket came in!

quote:

Hi! Just letting you know that admin computers are not working very well.

Now, they're at a satellite location, so I can't just send off a ticket willy-nilly. The main network for staff is named "admin." Do they mean all the computers on the admin domain are not working well, or do they mean all the computers used by program admins are not working well? And by not working well, do they mean it's crashing, just slow, can't access things? We just don't know!

I've asked for clarification, and we'll see what gibberish I get back.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Samizdata posted:

According to Oxford, it is a DPhil. So I called it a DPhil.

I read that as Dr. Phil and my brain showed me images of Uncle Phil wearing surgery scrubs

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Johnny Aztec posted:

I read that as Dr. Phil and my brain showed me images of Uncle Phil wearing surgery scrubs

The Closer was a pretty solid cop show.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Avenging_Mikon posted:

A ticket came in!

Now, they're at a satellite location, so I can't just send off a ticket willy-nilly. The main network for staff is named "admin." Do they mean all the computers on the admin domain are not working well, or do they mean all the computers used by program admins are not working well? And by not working well, do they mean it's crashing, just slow, can't access things? We just don't know!

I've asked for clarification, and we'll see what gibberish I get back.

So do you admin admin for the admin team's admins?

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

Hungry Computer posted:

A bunch of tickets came in: Some of our Win10 1607 machines have started automatically downloading and installing the 1709 update despite it not being approved on WSUS, and these PCs were set by GP to only install security updates, and the update is installing outside of the update window set by group policy. Thanks Microsoft :thumbsup:

Maybe this? : https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wsus/2017/05/05/demystifying-dual-scan/

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Dick Trauma posted:

gently caress it. <approves all patches in WSUS>

This but unironically for all servers. Desktop team uses manage engine.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Avenging_Mikon posted:

A ticket came in!

Now, they're at a satellite location, so I can't just send off a ticket willy-nilly. The main network for staff is named "admin."

this is suuuuuuuuuuuuuch a bad idea.

So glad we've mostly purged systems who have "Administrator's Macbook Pro" as their localhost names. Now it's all P/M + asset tag + city location. So a PC located in New York would be P002456NYC, whereas a Mac in Toronto would be M000123TOR. Simple, easy, good for braindead management.

It used to be first initial+lastname but that a) doesn't work great as you scale up the business and get people with similar names, and b) a localhost name is for the computer, not the user.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some site we look after has been having some devices acting up, so I log into their APC management card to see nearly 800 power spike events and over 150 brownouts in a week, and their mains voltage is a good 15% lower than it should be. I think that might be related to your issues.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Thanks! That looks like a likely culprit.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Some site we look after has been having some devices acting up, so I log into their APC management card to see nearly 800 power spike events and over 150 brownouts in a week, and their mains voltage is a good 15% lower than it should be. I think that might be related to your issues.

Getting those kinds of issues fixed is such a giant pain in the rear end for me. Power company is going to deflect to your building. The guys you get to look at your building are going to deflect to the power company. You descend into this pit of despair and rage until you pay enough money to all the parties and one of them accidentally fixes it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We only look after the network kit, so it's just CYA at this point - if they melt some gear we can point at the power.

It sounds like they've run cable too far for the size of the conductors and are suffering a voltage drop as a result, I can't believe it's entering the building that low. I wouldn't be surprised if they have no concept of phase balancing either, having seen the quality of the electrical work there.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

kensei posted:

Do you work for a large automotive parts supplier software company?

Many of our customers are automotive, though this particular one was not. Do we know each other?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

We only look after the network kit, so it's just CYA at this point - if they melt some gear we can point at the power.

It sounds like they've run cable too far for the size of the conductors and are suffering a voltage drop as a result, I can't believe it's entering the building that low. I wouldn't be surprised if they have no concept of phase balancing either, having seen the quality of the electrical work there.

Most people know jack poo poo about power/electrical (myself included), the smart ones pay someone that DOES know to not gently caress it up, the dumb ones die.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Iron Rose posted:

this is suuuuuuuuuuuuuch a bad idea.

We're consolidating from 3 to 1 domain...this year? I think. There's a hell of a lot of changes in the pipe. The new one is NOT being called admin. They've already got it mapped out how everything is going to be structured.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sickening posted:

Getting those kinds of issues fixed is such a giant pain in the rear end for me. Power company is going to deflect to your building. The guys you get to look at your building are going to deflect to the power company. You descend into this pit of despair and rage until you pay enough money to all the parties and one of them accidentally fixes it.

Find the demarc point, hire a 3rd party electrician to check the power company size supply voltages, phase imbalance, and ground impedance. Now it's ABC Electric and your building tech both saying it's the power company, and you can more likely get them to come out and fix it.

Orrrrr.....CYA yourself and make sure the configs are backed up when something inevitably blows up and you get to fix it.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 17, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's normally fine, the company will call their supplier and they will send round the actual grid operator for this area, and somebody will test the levels where they're handed off. If they're fine then that's the end of it, if not they'll normally change the tap point at the substation that feeds the customer to get the voltage up a bit.

I really doubt this is low at the point of entry, usually we have things running a bit too high but nothing that a UPS can't drop down again.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 12, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I wonder if Yahoo keeps metrics on how often their site is used to find Google.
Obviously they don't, there are still non-suicided Yahoo execs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samizdata posted:

My Dad (rest in peace) had a DPhil from Oxford and would never listen to me to stop that. I would warn him and warn him he risked going to spam imposter sites, but, would he listen?

...was he killed by an imposter site? :ohdear:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I legit missed this thread starting until right now. What a week.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the [SPAM] in the title has me a little triggered.. I think because I wasn't expecting to see it here in a *safe place*

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're having the IT room remodeled. So I'm in a temp office between the vp of marketing and the sr vp of marketing. Anyways, I go to check on the work and as soon as I walk into the IT room, I spot the electrician and there is a huge ZAP, smoke, and half the floor loses power. I immediately leave, go back to my temp office, and close the door. No one came to bother me.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

...was he killed by an imposter site? :ohdear:

No, liver cancer. But I would have to clean up the mess he would end up making of his machine that he needed fixed three days ago, why is it taking so loving long, don't you have a clue of what you are doing?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

What's a good servicedesk platform?

We're a holdings company and some of our companies are looking to set up servicedesks for completely different reasons. Let's say one sells eggs and one does engineering.
I'd like these to all be on the same platform for ease of management, but for each company or group to have separate boards so the egg sales team doesn't see the engineers' tickets.
SAML SSO would be a big plus, as would a good asset management system

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So we had a lunch meeting yesterday afternoon with Me, my boss and the contractor that kind of works for us.

We talked about projects coming up, and general issues and one of our clients intermittent issues came up. Their computers are "slow".

Boss and Contractor:"We need to install more RAM!"
Me: "I've looked into this. Peak RAM usage is around 76%.. i don't think it'll make a diff..."
Boss and Contractor: "MORE RAM!"

So I get to go to the site today and install more RAM. To be honest, I'm surprised they didn't make me install a bunch of 128GB SSDs as well.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Our company-wide GPO requires machines to talk to a WSUS server for updates and not Microsoft. We can't get the Spectre/Meltdown patch without blocking that GPO so that Windows Update can talk to Microsoft directly instead of going through the WSUS server. This isn't my problem, I just find it very annoying that I'm being asked to help patch the Spectre/Meltdown stuff and it's requiring extra steps that should be really really unnecessary.

Edit: Angry Infrastructure Guy is responsible for the WSUS server, and it needs to be fixed or replaced pretty badly.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 12, 2018

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

blackswordca posted:

So I get to go to the site today and install more RAM. To be honest, I'm surprised they didn't make me install a bunch of 128GB SSDs as well.

If RAM >=8gb THEN SSD

ELSE RAM

LOOP

I'm bad at coding, but, we've slowly upgraded every computer on site that's used to have at least 8gb and an SSD, and holy crap people are so much happier.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

my cat is norris posted:

Our company-wide GPO requires machines to talk to a WSUS server for updates and not Microsoft. We can't get the Spectre/Meltdown patch without blocking that GPO so that Windows Update can talk to Microsoft directly instead of going through the WSUS server. This isn't my problem, I just find it very annoying that I'm being asked to help patch the Spectre/Meltdown stuff and it's requiring extra steps that should be really really unnecessary.

Edit: Angry Infrastructure Guy is responsible for the WSUS server, and it needs to be fixed or replaced pretty badly.

Our IT department sends out company wide emails telling people not to install patches, would you prefer this option?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Anybody else having massive problems installing chrome extensions?

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/7px1lq/chrome_extensions_getting_access_denied/

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

blackswordca posted:

So we had a lunch meeting yesterday afternoon with Me, my boss and the contractor that kind of works for us.

We talked about projects coming up, and general issues and one of our clients intermittent issues came up. Their computers are "slow".

Me: "I've looked into this. Peak RAM usage is around 76%.. i don't think it'll make a diff..."

And you know they'll all just magically get faster afterwards, for an unrelated reason.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Data Graham posted:

And you know they'll all just magically get faster afterwards, for an unrelated reason.

Yeah, placebo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

blackswordca posted:

Do they actually know how much RAM is in those machines? Because I'd wager you could just open the case, fiddle a bit, and shut it for the same effect a wasted RAM upgrade would bring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

bitterandtwisted posted:

What's a good servicedesk platform?

We're a holdings company and some of our companies are looking to set up servicedesks for completely different reasons. Let's say one sells eggs and one does engineering.
I'd like these to all be on the same platform for ease of management, but for each company or group to have separate boards so the egg sales team doesn't see the engineers' tickets.
SAML SSO would be a big plus, as would a good asset management system

I currently work with https://www.mproof.com/clientele-itsm/ It does all the usual stuff (tickets, asset management, contract management, simple CRM) and has AD SSO. There is a full software client so no need to fiddle around with a lovely web interface.
I am however not sure if it's possible to restrict read rights to tickets within the same database based on team membership.