Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Ill admit i never even put that much thought into it. I just noticed that holding the adjacent rooms and taking the walla down in the kids bedroom allowed for way easier fights.

That being said that all seems like super good advice which I will keep in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duplicate
Jul 7, 2007
Lucky me.

Deltasquid posted:

1) reinforce exterior walls and hatches above the objective (hatches under the objective depends per specific hatch, but usually defenders want to be able to jump down and flank. If the objective room is really cramped like chalet's bar, then reinforce it because attackers chucking grenades through the hatch from below is a bad time)
2) open up walls between two bomb sites if it's bomb
3) don't reinforce walls that you know should be open (e.g. kids bedroom, chalet trophy room, the closet in oregon basement) This comes with experience
4) reinforce walls that don't have a door
5) reinforce walls that have a door

Thank you very much for this. If nothing else, it'll help me not to get in the way of what my team is trying to do, and on their behalf, I thank you in advance.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I much prefer blowing up walls and creating easy rotation points than reinforcing every wall in a room asap and locking yourself in.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I have come around to this thought process too though people give me funny looks when i do it with rook.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Oh yeah, there's definitely an element of personal preference. With the exception of reinforcing exterior walls of the objective room, I'd say all of the rules can be bent depending on how the defenders are feeling, and that's what makes siege such a dynamic and addictive game to me. One match you might have a team that prefers to box themselves in and hold the angles, another match you'll face a team that opens up as many holes as possible and peeks you from every side. I think that's why they pulled favela from the map rotation: every objective had a bunch of exterior walls to reinforce, so there was no real strategy involved. You either locked them off or you lost.

EDIT: some choice spots to open up as rook are above and below the objective on some points. They almost never expect a rook to be off site. A good one is on clubhouse, if the objective is in the bar: there's an exterior window near the pool table. If you go above to the fitness room, you can break the hatch or floor above the pool table and hold the ground floor window. This works miracles as rook or smoke. The fitness gear in that room also protects you against random sprays in case the attackers want to shoot out the window of the fitness room itself.

Likewise, on Bartlett there is an objective at the base of one of the "tower" areas or however they're called in English. you can do the same and hold those from above, with the caveat that you don't have any real equipment to hide behind in case the attackers come knocking on your own window.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 11, 2018

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Played a ranked match last night with my 3 bros and one of the randoms got really angry in our first round and started going off on the other random we picked up, calling them poo poo in voice chat and blaming the round we lost on this Cav, saying he's a poo poo Cav, doesn't know the operator, etc.

We keep telling the dude to chill, focus on the game but that's like pouring gas on the fire so he gets a little more uppity.

We start winning rounds and he settles down, and we (eventually) win the match with the toxic guy in dead last on the scoreboard. At the results screen we all laid into him, told him to grow up, stop acting like a child, etc, and rubbed it in that he got carried hard.

It's the small victories

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm very much a noob and very bad at the game; just hit lvl 20 yesterday so I went to try out Ranked and hoooooly poo poo is it not the same thing. People play so seriously compared to casual, I was quite surprised.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
as a person that regularly solo ques ranked when not playing with goons i just wanna say that there are quite likely as many players if not more that just play ranked for fun but enjoy the teamwork oriented vibe instead of constant roaming and playing for kills

it isn't until around Gold I that people start getting genuinely salty (and not in the ironic smurf/griefer/rank tanker sort of way) but have instead just hit their skillcap and no amount of quoting some famous YouTuber's strategy guide will save them

basically my advice is that if you don't care about bouncing around in rank limbo then feel free to continue playing ranked matches because the game quality tends to be very good even if you are getting steamrolled

Thief fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 12, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Colonel J posted:

I'm very much a noob and very bad at the game; just hit lvl 20 yesterday so I went to try out Ranked and hoooooly poo poo is it not the same thing. People play so seriously compared to casual, I was quite surprised.

If you play ranked before level 60 or so, prepare to make your teammates very upset at you.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PALLJqcjaa4

tjones
May 13, 2005

LOL at that team

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

opening your own black mirrors is actually cool and good

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You think that team is bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZU7Bpbfwjs

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Does anyone have that gif where a guy gets surrounded by three riot shields and then a sledge comes in and finished him off?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/gB8q664.webm

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

And here it is for non-ants:

https://gfycat.com/SlushySecondhandGermanspaniel

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Thanks. Had to show some friends. It's just magical.

In other news, game is fun but tough. Still in the 'getting rear end kicked' phase. Doesn't help I haven't played a shooter on PC in a long, long time. I'll get there.

Is Bandit mostly good for trying to zap drones at the start? The batteries don't usually seem to catch much else.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

This is literally the best thing I have ever seen. :allears:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Frush posted:

Thanks. Had to show some friends. It's just magical.

In other news, game is fun but tough. Still in the 'getting rear end kicked' phase. Doesn't help I haven't played a shooter on PC in a long, long time. I'll get there.

Is Bandit mostly good for trying to zap drones at the start? The batteries don't usually seem to catch much else.

Bandit's gadget denies Hibana and Thermite from breaching critical reinforced walls. You'll have to play more to get the hang of which are good ones to electrify but some examples are the garage door on Consulate and snowmobile garage on Chalet, and exterior armory wall on Border. If you want, you can also lurk near a reinforced wall you suspect the attackers will try to breach, then electrify it when Thermite or Hibana preps their gadget on it. This destroys their gadget (and Thermite will get zapped for a little damage as well), and also prevents the attackers from killing your battery with a Thatcher grenade or something. Be prepared to have the attackers bitch at you for ~trying so hard~ if you do this though.

Other than that Bandit's a 3-speed and gets good guns so he's good in general.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

e: ^this lol

Frush posted:

in the prep phase he is a really good makeshift Mute because the electricity will 1-shot drones if they are dumb enough to try and jump over. but in general bandit is mostly used to defend against hard breachers (thermite/hibana) from cutting through reinforced walls or at least delaying them

a thatcher can take out many of his batteries at once but a big reason they gave him an extra is so that he can do the bandit trick more often:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Ki4TK2QgM

people that play him a lot will start to get comfortable moving the batteries around as needed as they develop greater game sense because once someone knows where they are placed they tend to be one of the easier traps to destroy when there is nothing else to shoot at.

try asking your team to bring shields and put them on the doors. you can shock them and anyone trying to jump over will take damage. it acts as a good time sink because most people are afraid to tank the damage and usually the only way to shoot it is to jump over and look down which both totally exposes and hurts you. otherwise you gotta flank around and try to get in from a different angle

of course some bandit mains just ignore all of this and spawnpeek the attackers with his SMG until they rage quit. roaming and shocking the floor while kiting people around is one of the uses for his extra barbed wire. baiting the enemy into your traps, whatever the operator you've chosen is always :discourse:

Thief fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 12, 2018

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

finished my placements, gold 4. Just gotta get to plat before the season ends.

Did get a sweet ace: https://streamable.com/wgo85

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Game ruined. I quit.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I bought this game a while back during either a steam sale or a night drinking but never really gave it a shot. The thread title made me laugh, however, and made me want to give the game a try.

I have the standard edition so this morning I was just running through the situations and getting the small bits of renown. I guess I should do all those and pick out a few operators that look cool? I should probably also get a few regular games under my belt before I start ruining goon games?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Abisteen posted:

I bought this game a while back during either a steam sale or a night drinking but never really gave it a shot. The thread title made me laugh, however, and made me want to give the game a try.

I have the standard edition so this morning I was just running through the situations and getting the small bits of renown. I guess I should do all those and pick out a few operators that look cool? I should probably also get a few regular games under my belt before I start ruining goon games?

Good starter operators to buy: Ash, Sledge, Thermite on attack, Rook, Mute, Smoke on defense and Kapkan if you learn the maps a bit. The DLC operators (those that cost 25000 renown) require a bit more map/game knowledge, but it'll be a while till you grind one. When buying ops don't forget to buy scopes for their weapons!
There's no need to wait before playing with goons, just say you're new.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I am so triggered by Zofia just plowing through the reload on a gun that still had 130 rounds in the mag instead of sprinting a quarter of an inch to halt the reload and just shooting the motherfucker

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

So Buck is getting a decent new skin

But if Ubi really wanted to show Buck as a true Canadian, he'd be wearing this

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Abisteen posted:

Nah you won't be ruining any games. Hop on discord and roll with a crew.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Basticle posted:

I am so triggered by Zofia just plowing through the reload on a gun that still had 130 rounds in the mag instead of sprinting a quarter of an inch to halt the reload and just shooting the motherfucker

Listen, if I stopped reloading, Rook might have hit me, and we would have lost.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Chillgamesh posted:

This destroys their gadget (and Thermite will get zapped for a little damage as well), and also prevents the attackers from killing your battery with a Thatcher grenade or something. Be prepared to have the attackers bitch at you for ~trying so hard~ if you do this though.

Bandit's my most played defender and I've literally not once had someone say I'm tryharding for bandit tricking. I wouldn't worry about this too much.

The real pain as bandit is getting shot in the back of the head because the teammate that you thought was defending the corridor behind you from Ash rushing in is actually staring at the corner dancing to the radio or something.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I bet none of you are as good at shootin' as me. :smug:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I bet none of you are as good at shootin' as me. :smug:

oh yeah?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cheater!
I'll report you to my uncle at Ubisoft.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

That shots fired counter seems extremely inaccurate

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Abisteen posted:

I guess I should do all those and pick out a few operators that look cool?

yes. pick ANY operator that you find interesting for whatever reason at all. they are literally all viable outside of high tier ranked matches. until you get a feel for the type of gameplay you enjoy it doesn't matter who you choose and you can just run around and explore the abilities and have fun

Abisteen posted:

I should probably also get a few regular games under my belt before I start ruining goon games?

no, just hop in discord there is always an active group every night. the game ain't that serious and much of the fun comes from playing with people that will watch your back. if you want to l2play just follow a goon around the map and try not to die. you'll learn a ton of little tricks in the process that will help you when you're breaching alone or playing defense.

siege is generally incredibly flexible and fluid for an indoor shooter and tbh there aren't that many black&white rules so any advice you hear from a tryhard should be taken with a grain of salt. the best players in casual games tend to adapt and improvise to what works best for them. for some this means hiding in a corner with a shotgun. for others it means running into the enemy spawn with a smg. its all up to you lol

Thief fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 12, 2018

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I wish the bandit trick was something i could consistently do. Unfortunately with my hearing the way it is i don't have a way to make it work

Being half deaf in a game that demands so much from audio is very :sigh:

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I wish the bandit trick was something i could consistently do. Unfortunately with my hearing the way it is i don't have a way to make it work

If you're outright deaf in one ear, you could try shooting a hole in one panel before reinforcing a 2-panel wall. Then stand sideways; if you hear the charge go down clearly, it's the panel you broke, and if it's muffled, it's the other one.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

If you play with friends, have someone take a Mira and place it in the middle of the place you're going to be tricking. It's harder on places with 3 walls like garage on Consulate but still doable. The Mira window let's you see exactly where they're planting.

Bandit Tricking is next to impossible if the other team came prepared and is coordinating. If they have a combination of Thatcher (or Twitch/Capitao depending on the wall) and both Thermite and Hibana, that wall is opening one way or another.

Edit: ^^ I'm pretty sure they changed that in a patch.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 12, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

bandit + mira is a good combo on garage but also a well placed valk cam can let you battery camp practically anywhere

thatcher can throw multiple EMPs and with the right timing there's no stopping the breach. all they have to do to setup is follow thermite, watch and wait

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

Shockeh posted:

I love that we're meant to have this community of Ausgoons, but they're never on the Discord. WHERE ARE YOU FUCKERS, I'm tired of playing with the (lovely, admittedly) Canadians at 200ms.

Idiot ausgoon here, was away from my computer doing Non-Shootmans over the NYE/Christmas period. Siege from now until infinity tho, get on the discord and lets Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Bandit Tricking is next to impossible if the other team came prepared and is coordinating. If they have a combination of Thatcher (or Twitch/Capitao depending on the wall) and both Thermite and Hibana, that wall is opening one way or another.

On the bright side if they do this to you, it means more than half their team has to focus attention on the wall you're holding for a good chunk of the round, which really limits them in other places.

Other than the mechanics of tricking itself one tip I have is to learn which walls you should prioritize holding above others. A breach on consulate garage on the left side of the door that just opens up into the super exposed middle is a lot less beneficial to the attackers than a breach on the far right which lets them get behind the white van to plant with impunity, for instance, so doubling down the defense of that van panel if you think you can't hold the rest will still be helpful.