Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I was worried this was going to be too lolwacky from the commercials, but I am enjoying Crazy Stabler more than I even imagined possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I made it through 2.5 episodes today (wife got called into work partway through E3 this afternoon and I'm waiting until she gets home to finish it. You're ruining my experience, guy dying in the hospital! :rolleyes:) and I'm loving this poo poo. Meloni needs to break out the unhinged poo poo more often and I agree that it's 100% a great casting choice. I could see this show falling super flat with plenty of other dudes playing Nick. Patton is doing a good job as Happy as well, but it seems like a 100 other guys could do it just fine. I'm a fan of the guy, so it's not a dig at him really so much as gently caress Meloni is killing it. So far it's my choice for best new show of 2017.

e: Seeing Soothing Vapors' avatar, yeah, I think American Gods is probably my top new show of 2017 champ. Happy is right up there though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Soothing Vapors posted:

I was worried this was going to be too lolwacky from the commercials, but I am enjoying Crazy Stabler more than I even imagined possible.

yeah it's great, this has quickly become one of my favorite shows of 2017, up there with Patriot, Handmaid's Tale, and American Gods

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you want bonkers Meloni then I definitely recommend Oz. He was very intense on that show.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

muscles like this! posted:

If you want bonkers Meloni then I definitely recommend Oz. He was very intense on that show.

I pitched the show to my buddy as "chris keller goes on a rampage with an imaginary friend." His next question was if meloni shows his dick in this.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It could happen, I would not put it past Brian Taylor.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

David D. Davidson posted:

It could happen, I would not put it past Brian Taylor.

Comically oversized censor bar it an action scene where foreground objects keep strategically covering his junk.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Guy Mann posted:

Comically oversized censor bar it an action scene where foreground objects keep strategically covering his junk.

Happy keeps flying in front of it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

I pitched the show to my buddy as "chris keller goes on a rampage with an imaginary friend." His next question was if meloni shows his dick in this.

Don’t hold out hope for this, sorry

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
rear end scene in episode 3

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I can't tell if this is actually supposed to be a giant bug or a guy in a giant bug suit.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The whole Chinatown sequence was amazing.

I can't tell if this is actually supposed to be a giant bug or a guy in a giant bug suit.

Yes!

I am hoping it's actually a giant bug.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Hoping it's somehow both - a giant bug in a human suit wearing a giant bug suit.

This show is amazing, by the way.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

Don’t hold out hope for this, sorry

Just one little towel away...

But no, I don't think full frontal male nudity is likely on sci fi. I think his big takeaway from the series Oz was the amount of dick on display, meloni included.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Got a live action Venture Bros vibe from that.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It took two 16 hour days and was absolute chaos trying to fend off the summer-dressed crowds from the cameras. They eventually made the PAs wear signs in Chinese explaining what was going on.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Eat This Glob posted:

But no, I don't think full frontal male nudity is likely on sci fi.

Didn't that happen just this year? On Blood Drive?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

:ssh:All dongs on tv are fake

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

theflyingexecutive posted:

:ssh:All dongs on tv are fake

N-no....

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This was sort of hilarious and messed up to watch during the Christmas season.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Even in Spartacus.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Haha, that music in the Chinese restaurant is totally from the Kung Fu Hustle soundtrack only with sleigh bell samples added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw0jXaTVDtY

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yes!

This is a Morrison joint so I'm leaning toward the latter, extra-dimensional eldritch horrors come with the territory.

I keep having to remind myself that's not actually Jackie Earle Haley playing Blue, that guy is pretty much his double.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yes!

Sax
(maniacally enters restaurant)
Nick Sax, NYPD
(beat)
...ish.

So much awesomeness in this show. Mr. Insect was great, wish it had pincers instead of hands but the whole series is playing with what is and isn't "real".
And when Bad Santa first saw Happy I was so shocked I shouted at the tv. LOL..

Ohhhh kayyyyy

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Just watched the last episode.

Meloni as Crazy Stabler/Bizarro Keller is wonderful, magical, and would be worth watching by itself but fortunately the rest of the show is pretty good too. It kinda feels like a TV adaptation of the first Max Payne game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Binary Logic posted:

Sax
Nick Sax, NYPD
(beat)
...ish.

So much awesomeness in this show. Mr. Insect was great, wish it had pincers instead of hands but the whole series is playing with what is and isn't "real".

Ohhhh kayyyyy

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

Sax
Nick Sax, NYPD
(beat)
...ish.

Ohhhh kayyyyy

That background actor was Very Serious about bdsm and insisted against the wishes of production and casting to come in their very special suit instead of a black one.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fabulousity posted:

Meloni as Crazy Stabler/Bizarro Keller is wonderful, magical, and would be worth watching by itself but fortunately the rest of the show is pretty good too. It kinda feels like a TV adaptation of the first Max Payne game.

Especially down to how Sax revives himself with massive amounts of painkillers.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
So, the Sonny Smiles guy is totally behind everything/is Bug, isn't he?

spoilered in case the show is a 1:1 recreation of the source material.

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 1, 2018

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
i was wondering about that. I almost stuck that in the op too, but it seemed too much of a stretch lol

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

ApeHawk posted:

So, the Sonny Smiles guy is totally behind everything/is Bug, isn't he?

spoilered in case the show is a 1:1 recreation of the source material.

I never read the source material, but that's what my best guess was.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This is a brilliant show. This is a collection of characters from different genres in scenes that have their own genre with writing that has it's own genre. And then they put it in a blender and choose each set for each scene. The characters will always reliably be themselves, their own characters from their own genre (Stabler is the over the top 80's action hero, to the point of parody, and he is that over the top 80's character in EVERY scene even when the writing is sitcom style, 80's action style, modern action style, serious movie style, Netflix show style, honestly I spotted so many different styles, comic book to story book, 70's flick, and in each one he says the lines for that comic, that drama, or that story book, as if he was an 80's action hero in that scene. It's kind of brilliant to watch because most scenes shift styles with a smooth transition but the characters stay the same which is why you can have a wha wha reality TV funny moment subtly and quietly change to an intense suspense movie during a speech. And each one is shot in their own way, lighting and color subtly shifting to match the nbew genre. All with storybook transitions.
the weakest parts, for me, are the "sitcom" genre scenes (usually an end joke stinger) or the "cable TV" show moments. I'm aware that they aren't literally making those jokes but are making fun of the jokes the show would have f it were in that style (the entire scene of her hanvving lunch with the mob boss in the wine cellar had Cable TV written all over it and the scene was, like cable TV, way too cable TV) but I just can't get into those scenes. Or the stinhger jokes like "I'm in" or that one "Who wants breakfast?" sitcom style lines. They aren't literally making them but they are stuill bad lines,
The strongest parts are the storybook imagery, living painting, expositional paragraphs told rapidly, things like that. Stylistic and artsy scenes abound.
I'll have to watch it again but Stabler is split into two characters so that reality doesn't intrude and make him killable, the only time Present Stabler is around is when the scenes are from a genre that the hero always survives unscathed: 80's action, modern action, 90's action, his severely stylized cartoon world. Past Stabler is the drama. They had to split him into two characteres because you an't put this cartoon character into a series action scene and expect him to survive, no he's "unkillable" because the action hero, the cartoon, the comedy hero always gets away. One of his escapes is literally just a butt joke and he gets away because it wouldn't be funny if he didn't so, in order for the scene to have this genre, he must survive.
It's really grerat dissecting each scene, seeing what gere the script is in and if it conflicts weith or compliments the genreee the characters or scenes are in. When all three elements are in alignment it's pretty great, but when all three elements asre fighting each other it' pretty great too. Having our Action Hero character jump out of his chair like a sitcom character in a scene lit filmed, and acted as a tense scene?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The cat whiskers :laffo:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The cat whiskers :laffo:

Shits getting weirder every day.

It's a Christmas miracle!

Man this show is amazing

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I still like the show, but man, the change of directors is pretty rough. Taylor's style was perfectly suited to the material.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

anatomi posted:

I still like the show, but man, the change of directors is pretty rough. Taylor's style was perfectly suited to the material.

What i miss?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Nothing much. Taylor directed the first three episodes, Wayne Yip's doing 4 & 5. Good director, but doesn't match Taylor's energy.

I haven't seen episode 5 though, maybe it's great and I'm overreacting.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

anatomi posted:

Nothing much. Taylor directed the first three episodes, Wayne Yip's doing 4 & 5. Good director, but doesn't match Taylor's energy.

I haven't seen episode 5 though, maybe it's great and I'm overreacting.

Ahh ok, it's a good episode, but it's for sure not like the first 3.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Taylor directed 7 and 8. Very few shows have the same director for every episode, especially ones with condensed shooting schedules like Happy, as the directors use their off time for prep (finalizing the script, tech scouts, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Also Wayne Che Yip is a great director -- he was one of the minds behind Utopia, and worked on that fight in the recent Preacher finale.

(I suspect he's still getting used to American filming schedules though.)

• Locked thread