Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Zaodai posted:

:thunk:

I get that it's blasphemy to suggest that there might be any improvement possible beyond what the devs have already thought of. I don't fault you guys for your loyalty. But you're fighting super hard against something with no downside that would improve the game for people and basically no cost.

Yes, I admit I'd love a wholly mercenary, super divergent campaign. I'd also love a game set in the Clan homeworlds where you fight other Clans and dictate trials and bidding and stuff to try and gain both personal glory and rank, and improve the status of your Clan. I'd ALSO love a game where you're fighting in one of the Succession Wars to move the borders around on the map of the full Sphere. None of those things are what I recommended, nor were the recommendations anything to that scale or effect.

You already have the option to ignore the main campaign and just do the procedural missions, except for the ability to work for the Directorate because they're the dedicated bad guys. Literally all I am suggesting for this game is some kind of event that logically lets you tell the Restoration to gently caress off because you have a better offer. Then it goes from "well just don't play the story" to "your resolution to the story was to actually be a mercenary and take a bribe to not take sides in the larger conflict and go spend your time elsewhere". It's not coding a new campaign. It's not a billion branching paths. It's a little bit of window dressing grade work to provide a little bit of player agency and make the conflict actually feel more alive.

[EDIT]
And technically the "real game" is just the skirmish mode. So your precious linear story was also a stretch goal.

HBS posted:

Our STAGE 2 STORY CAMPAIGN will put you in command of your own mercenary outfit, as you find yourself inexorably drawn into a bloody dynastic conflict set in the Periphery of the Inner Sphere. Over the course of the campaign, you’ll manage the finances and logistics of your mercenary outfit - from the modifications and loadout of your 'Mechs, to the salaries and skill growth of your MechWarriors. 

Hurrr. I'm not sure why you're being so belligerently dense about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Rygar201 posted:

Pot, I'd like you to meet Kettle. I'm sure you'll hit it off great.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Man I thought maybe there was a release date or some kind of big announcement, holy hell

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rygar201 posted:

quote:

At the end of the day, the life of a mercenary is all about money: the money needed to repair the damage your 'Mechs took in combat, to pay your MechWarriors to keep fighting, and - if you’re lucky - the money to put towards buying new 'Mech chassis and weapon systems. Fortunately, 'Mech components salvaged from the battlefield can be both cheaper and better-performing than the oft-refurbished parts available for purchase.

Also listed in my prior post, the fact that Stage 2 and 3 are BOTH stretch goals, and Stage 1 is the "base pitch", so maybe I'm not the belligerent retard. I've genuinely tried to be civil while enduring irrational insults (alongside the actual reasoned attempts at criticism and critique, which I appreciate!), but seriously, gently caress straight off.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Man I thought maybe there was a release date or some kind of big announcement, holy hell

This all might have been my fault. I started wondering how much of a war criminal Lady Arano could be. Anyway, isn't it time for a threat title change now that backer beta is over?

Harebrained Schemes' Battletech: Bickering 'til Launch

EDIT:
Harebrained Schemes' Battletech: Thinkin' bout dem animated warrior robots
VVVVVVV

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 12, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Harebrained Schemes' Battletech: Thinkin' bout dem robots

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

HBS Battletech: Just a Reskin of Your Favorite Game

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
HBS Battletech: Backer Beta was terrible; countdown to further disappointment

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

rt4 posted:

HBS Battletech: Backer Beta was terrible; countdown to further disappointment

But it wasn't! It wasn't anything worth snatching your wallet for, but the beta was a lot of fun testing and seeing how the game went!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Leave it to goons to shitlord it up about Battletech. :stonk:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
HBS Battletech: Fire Emblem with robots

I suspect it’s just goons being antsy over the dry spell before release, but that’s just me.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Zaodai posted:

Literally all I am suggesting for this game is some kind of event that logically lets you tell the Restoration to gently caress off because you have a better offer.

I think this would be a good touch, but I would also want the opportunity to use the directorate's offer to extort more cash from the restoration. If we're going to get really fancy that pay raise could come with the caveat of pushing the restoration a little closer to broke, meaning you have to get to make up the difference yourself.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HBS Battletech: They called the third X-Com HBS Battletech

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Shorten it to "They called the third X-Com Battletech" and I'm on board.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This game is going to suck whenever it eventually comes out, because it's a Battletech game and Battletech is cursed. I don't know why anyone is excited for this game still.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

I said come in! posted:

This game is going to suck whenever it eventually comes out, because it's a Battletech game and Battletech is cursed. I don't know why anyone is excited for this game still.

This one-liner entry burn looks like a very real opinion that I'm going to get extremely mad about. Brace yourself for my frothing diatribe.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

This one-liner entry burn looks like a very real opinion that I'm going to get extremely mad about. Brace yourself for my frothing diatribe.

Nice meltdown.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Skoll posted:

Nice meltdown.

Stackpoling rife itt

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The obvious solution is to have a main menu option when you click 'new game' so that in addition to difficulty setting and ironman mode you have a checkbox 'no plot' that just turns off the story entirely and starts the game on a static map where nothing will ever change.

Not a ridiculous mid-game 'turn off content' trap button.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gyshall posted:

Leave it to goons to shitlord it up about Battletech. :stonk:

It was a running gag in my FLGS that Battletech was referred to as The Game That Must Not Be Named - because invariably, whenever the word "Battletech" was uttered, there would be an argument that hit yelling levels within ten minutes. It was eerie, man.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As we can see, the curse is still active.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Alchenar posted:

The obvious solution is to have a main menu option when you click 'new game' so that in addition to difficulty setting and ironman mode you have a checkbox 'no plot' that just turns off the story entirely and starts the game on a static map where nothing will ever change.

Not a ridiculous mid-game 'turn off content' trap button.

That's not really what the point of any of the discussion was. :thumbsup:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
At the end of the day, having the Directorate be a fleshed out faction with a plausible motivation and drive (which may result in them trying to hire you off) would be largely a good thing. The mechanism(s) through which this could best be accomplished is a matter of personal opinion.

I will also laugh so very much if it turns out the mid-campaign buyout attempt is already in the game.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

MilkmanLuke posted:

Give me a Capellan mechanic or peasant who watched his village get stomped by crusading Fed Sun forces.

Skoll posted:

Disenfranchised Marik working man whose family was killed during one of their civil wars.

A friend of mine was trying to run a BAttletech campaign and my character concept was 'they sort of accidentally kidnapped him'.

Dude minding his own business and trying to have a drink in peace when a raggedy band of mercs comes in, trying to grab a quick beer before their dropship takes off. Ten minutes later, predictably, there's a barfight, and my he keeps out of it right, nursing his beer, right until one of the locals pulls a knife, at which point the beer gets broken over his head. (It's just rude to pull a knife in a honest fistfight.)

A few swings later they hear the notoriously brutal/corrupt local law enforcement approaching and everybody grabs their buddies and books it.

It's only when the mercs are strapping in for takeoff that somebody looks up and goes 'Who's the new guy?'

'Oh poo poo, we took him along?'

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Drake_263 posted:

A friend of mine was trying to run a BAttletech campaign and my character concept was 'they sort of accidentally kidnapped him'.

Dude minding his own business and trying to have a drink in peace when a raggedy band of mercs comes in, trying to grab a quick beer before their dropship takes off. Ten minutes later, predictably, there's a barfight, and my he keeps out of it right, nursing his beer, right until one of the locals pulls a knife, at which point the beer gets broken over his head. (It's just rude to pull a knife in a honest fistfight.)

A few swings later they hear the notoriously brutal/corrupt local law enforcement approaching and everybody grabs their buddies and books it.

It's only when the mercs are strapping in for takeoff that somebody looks up and goes 'Who's the new guy?'

This is great. :allears:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Section Z posted:

This is great. :allears:

I've always been of the mind that RPGs and the like are at their best when they don't take themselves too seriously. Plus, a rough-and-tumble working-class type with a loader claw for an arm made a nice counterpart to a friend's snooty Steiner heir.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Hey, guys I haven't checked the thread in ages........

Zaodai posted:

The discord recommend I post

drat, the discord killed 2 birds with one stone. Well played... well played

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Last I heard the plan was still for your commander to be able to select from a few different backgrounds, wasn't it? Sort of like Mass Effect and Shepard where you don't play his background but it does change some dialogue and (I recall HBS saying) give you a special mission?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sky Shadowing posted:

Last I heard the plan was still for your commander to be able to select from a few different backgrounds, wasn't it? Sort of like Mass Effect and Shepard where you don't play his background but it does change some dialogue and (I recall HBS saying) give you a special mission?

This seems to be the most relevant HBS update: https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/4920

They don't explicitly reference the PC, but my furious entrail reading of "The bios and descriptions below could all be considered MILD SPOILERS - they occur after the inciting events of the game's Prologue chapter", implies that at the start of the prologue your character is not a mercenary involved in the restoration and at the end of the prologue they are a mercenary involved in the restoration.

Whether or not the prologue involves 'becoming a mercenary' is unknown, but 'inciting events' is something I'm taking as meaning that the player character is a written entity of themselves who will interact with the cast of the story, rather than a faceless avatar of the player.

ps. All guesswork and I'm not massively invested either way.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Drake_263 posted:

💯

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Rygar201 posted:

https://imgur.com/a/A6D5E

That's the original pitch. The Merc game was a stretch goal

...Except they already did stretch goal #4 which was setup for taking $1.5million more than goal #2, so it's entirely valid to question that maybe they should get their priorities in order.

I only want the singleplayer including skirmish. I don't give a crap about PvP except in a very loose maybe I'll play like one friend sometime kind of way.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh hey, says it right there. Backstories was a funding goal.

I still suspect that moving from not having the Argo and not being involved in the restoration to the reverse probably involves giving your character some meaty hooks to care.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

revwinnebago posted:

...Except they already did stretch goal #4 which was setup for taking $1.5million more than goal #2, so it's entirely valid to question that maybe they should get their priorities in order.
What do you mean by this? Are you saying that they "already built multiplayer even though the things before it arent done yet"?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

revwinnebago posted:

I only want the singleplayer including skirmish. I don't give a crap about PvP except in a very loose maybe I'll play like one friend sometime kind of way.
Yeah, this is outright not true? Like at all?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

revwinnebago posted:

EntitledGamer.txt

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

vorebane posted:

I think this would be a good touch, but I would also want the opportunity to use the directorate's offer to extort more cash from the restoration. If we're going to get really fancy that pay raise could come with the caveat of pushing the restoration a little closer to broke, meaning you have to get to make up the difference yourself.

I mean

Has anyone here played HBS' games recently? I think literally every one of them has an 11th hour option to join the baddy.

It's not bloody likely there'll be a fleshed out parallel arc for doing so, but I would not be surprised if there was...yet another 11th hour option to Join The Baddy ending.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde
Adding an option to skip the story content in-game that players can click and then not regret their option seems like a bad idea to me.

Locking people out of content even if it's by their own hand usually ends badly, some gamers have less sense and more entitlement. You could probably mod it I guess?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I think the problem we have here is the usual one, its been awhile since we have had an update from HBS (totally justified they have had their winter break and I bet things are busy as hell). The only info we do have is the little bits we have been gleaning from Isildurs twitter. People are just getting antsy and picking apart the little information we have.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

revwinnebago posted:

This can't be a real post.

Edit: just in case, the MP beta is a bunch of stuff they were gonna have to do anyways and let them get a bunch of playtesting done for the combat mechanics, which is going to be the meat of the game.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Kickstarter update time!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/2089189

Disappointed they won't be able to squeeze in a few features but happy they'll be post launch content.

So long as they're not DLC. Moving Kickstarter commitments to paid DLC would give me a problem.