Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vick is still on the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

TV Teddy up to his old tricks last night. Or maybe new ones actually.

https://twitter.com/rixryd/status/950907712644272128

ref gay, so what

every year I think the refs can't egregiously gently caress us over any worse, every year they do

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Dr.Donkeypunch posted:

Mitch Lightfoot.

He’s a shady sumbitch. It’s in his eyes.

Mitch Lightfoot is actually the "the power of god and anime" kid grown up.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
hi my mountaineers are p good this year thanks for listening

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

kiimo posted:

If Self manages to somehow win the Big 12 again he should be given coach of the year.
At this point, though, you shouldn't be expecting anything different until they're like 2 games back with 1 game remaining :/

But while I'm here
Nevada: L OT 76-82 @ Texas Tech
Kansas: L 73-85 vs. Texas Tech
:keke:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
boy oh boy do Iowa fans miss the Steve Alford days, got me all like "looooooooooool"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Great Autismo! posted:

boy oh boy do Iowa fans miss the Steve Alford days, got me all like "looooooooooool"

Lol not even a little. This year is bad but the program is going in the right direction generally and he has already done more than Alford did outside of the dumb conference tournament. Tom Davis had down years too.

Also he has yet to bully any rape victims so that's a pretty big step up from Alford. I'd take lickliter back before i'd want that piece of human garbage to be associated with the school again

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 12, 2018

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MourningView posted:

Lol not even a little. This year is bad but the program is going in the right direction generally and he has already done more than Alford did outside of the dumb conference tournament. Tom Davis had down years too

loooooooool

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
In which we white knight for someone who advised a rape victim to pray the rape away rather than go to the police

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MourningView posted:

In which we white knight for someone who advised a rape victim to pray the rape away rather than go to the police

what

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

That's a thing Steve Alford literally did with the first victim of Pierre Pierce. Then he let Pierce back on the team, at which point Pierce almost immediately committed another sexual assault and went to prison. Really made everyone proud to be a Hawkeye. Even if he'd actually been a decent coach he would have deserved to be fired and it's shameful the school let him keep his job as long as he did.

Also just in basketball terms Alford, who inherited a program that made the NCAA tournament about 3 out of every four years and had just gone to the sweet 16 had:

3 NCAA tournament appearances in 8 seasons
1 NCAA Tournament win
3 20 win seasons
3 seasons in the top half of the conference

Fran, who inherited one of the worst teams in the country has, in the same amount of time:

The same number of NCAA Appearances
2 NCAA Tournament wins
4 20 win seasons
5 finishes in the top half of the conference

Really struggling to see why I'd miss Alford at all here. He made the program significantly worse than it was when he got here. Unless you think Iowa is gonna be like this every year from now on (seems pretty unlikely given that they're super young and have top 30-40 recruits in both of the next two classes) Fran has made it substantially better

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 12, 2018

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
hmmmm, guess we'll see

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Chris Holtmann is a loving magician

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

The Great Autismo! posted:

New Mexico fans barely miss the Alford days, and he was easily the best coach we ever had.

To be fair, our second best coach covered up murder later on and our third best coach tried to cover up blatant academic fraud. So it’s all relative.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

NCAA ruled Austin Wiley ineligible for the year, could hypothetically come back next year but I'm not sure what his draft projection or international options are; Auburn can and presumably will appeal this decision if he doesn't just leave school. Danjel Purifoy's status still up in the air; Auburn preemptively declared him ineligible but hasn't put his care to the NCAA for this kind of decision yet.

Despite the loss of two of their best players and the assistant head coach, Auburn is 15-1, ranked for the first time in 15 years and projected as like a 5-seed. Bruce Pearl, assuming he stays on good terms with the administration after some rocky poo poo when the FBI investigation fell, is a wizard and we should probably be looking at giving him a raise and extension.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

MourningView posted:

gotta separate the coaching from the coach

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Thankfully they both sucked

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

sportsgenius86 posted:

Chris Holtmann is a loving magician
Keita Bates-Diop made The Leap.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Blake Harris chose NC St. for his transfer destination btw. Should turn out to be a pretty good 4 year player, especially if he can work on his shooting.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
For the love of god someone get Missouri a competent point guard

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
A&M has completely fallen apart and I wonder if Billy Kennedy's seat isn't getting hot

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

N: Texas guard Andrew Jones has been diagnosed with cancer.

V: Holy gently caress :smith:

“ESPN.com” posted:

Texas sophomore guard Andrew Jones has been diagnosed with leukemia, his family announced Wednesday.

"After undergoing a number of tests and evaluations over the past week, Andrew has been diagnosed with leukemia," the family said in a statement released through the university. "He has begun treatments, and we hope everyone will keep him in your thoughts and prayers. This is obviously a difficult situation for our family, and we hope everyone will respect our privacy at this time."

Jones suffered a wrist injury in early December that forced him to miss multiple games, but he's been limited in two games and missed Saturday's game against Baylor with what was considered an unidentified illness.

"Speaking for our entire team and staff, we love Andrew and will do everything we can to support his family and help him get back to health," Longhorns coach Shaka Smart said. "I want to thank everyone for being respectful of the privacy that the Jones family needs at this time."

The 6-foot-4 Jones was a McDonald's All American coming out of MacArthur High School in Irving, Texas. He averaged 11.4 points as a freshman at Texas, but he decided to return for his sophomore season after attending the scouting combine.

Jones returned to the court Dec. 29 and played nine minutes at home in the loss to Kansas. He also played nine minutes in the win at Iowa State on Jan. 1.

Before the wrist injury, Jones was leading the Longhorns in scoring with 15.3 points per game.

His sister, Alexis, was a standout at Baylor and plays for the WNBA champion Minnesota Lynx.

Jones' family has dealt with challenges in the past. Andrew was 7 in 2007 when his father was paralyzed in a car accident on an icy road. Jones was ejected from the car but escaped with only some bruising.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 14, 2018

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Purdue continues to be good, which is good, and cool

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn also still good and it's super weird

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
I don 't follow College basketball but I went to TTU and I got a text from an old drinking buddy about our win today. So here is to winning the Big 12 and saying gently caress you to Kansas and then winning the whole tournament and saying gently caress you to Duke.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
After whipping Minnesota today, Purdue is up to #2 on Kenpom. They’re not gonna lose many in this year’s Big Ten.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

elentar posted:

After whipping Minnesota today, Purdue is up to #2 on Kenpom. They’re not gonna lose many in this year’s Big Ten.

at Michigan State, home again Ohio State and Michigan, and at IU are the ones that worry me most. If they go .500 in those games they have a great chance to win the Big10

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

texaholic posted:

I don 't follow College basketball but I went to TTU and I got a text from an old drinking buddy about our win today. So here is to winning the Big 12 and saying gently caress you to Kansas and then winning the whole tournament and saying gently caress you to Duke.

A good ethos for every college basketball fan

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

elentar posted:

who was it that said Purdue was going to lose to this corpse of a team? Because :lol:

we're not even going to make the NIT

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

IcePhoenix posted:

who was it that said Purdue was going to lose to this corpse of a team? Because :lol:

we're not even going to make the NIT

80% of my family are Purdue people, and Purdue fans just have this near constant doom meter around them.

It's usually pretty accurate, but it tends to go haywire when there's a Purdue game in the Barn.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FartingBedpost posted:

80% of my family are Purdue people, and Purdue fans just have this near constant doom meter around them.

It's usually pretty accurate, but it tends to go haywire when there's a Purdue game in the Barn.

If the Gophers were at even like 75% I could understand it, but I think every good player on this team is either injured or suspended at this point.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I didn’t realize Minnesota was such trash

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think the era of the Big Ten being a powerhouse is sadly over.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

I think the era of the Big Ten being a powerhouse is sadly over.

Archie JUST got here, give the guy one minute, drat.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
UVA-NC State game last night almost exactly as expected: two hours of watching a snake devour and digest a stunned mouse.

Virginia is very good. Devon Hall in particular is having a phenomenal year.

NC State meanwhile went 2-3 against the toughest start to a conference schedule in the country. Doesn’t ease up much from here but it could’ve been a lot worse.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

UVA-NC State game last night almost exactly as expected: two hours of watching a snake devour and digest a stunned mouse.

Virginia is very good. Devon Hall in particular is having a phenomenal year.

NC State meanwhile went 2-3 against the toughest start to a conference schedule in the country. Doesn’t ease up much from here but it could’ve been a lot worse.

Game also gave us this clip of Jack Salt killing a guy by standing still

https://i.imgur.com/42b0Shh.gifv

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

1. Villanova
2. Virginia
3. Purdue
4. Oklahoma
5. Duke
6. West Virginia
7. Wichita State
8. Texas Tech
9. Michigan State
10. Kansas
11. Xavier
12. Cincinnati
13. Gonzaga
14. Arizona
15. North Carolina
16. Arizona State
17. Auburn
18. Kentucky
19. Seton Hall
20. Clemson
21. Tennessee
22. Ohio State
23. Michigan
24. TCU
25. Miami

OU and Michigan State swap spots as do Duke and Wichita State. Texas Tech splits vs top 10 teams OU and WVU and stays at 8. Kansas edges back into the top 10. Everyone else gets moderate bumps after Seton Hall, TCU, and Miami drop.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Ohio State ranked for the first time in like 3 years. :woop:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
So how good is Duke transfer Jordan Tucker? Cuz he's headed to Butler!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

kayakyakr posted:

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

1. Villanova
2. Virginia
3. Purdue
4. Oklahoma
5. Duke
6. West Virginia
7. Wichita State
8. Texas Tech
9. Michigan State
10. Kansas
11. Xavier
12. Cincinnati
13. Gonzaga
14. Arizona
15. North Carolina
16. Arizona State
17. Auburn
18. Kentucky
19. Seton Hall
20. Clemson
21. Tennessee
22. Ohio State
23. Michigan
24. TCU
25. Miami

OU and Michigan State swap spots as do Duke and Wichita State. Texas Tech splits vs top 10 teams OU and WVU and stays at 8. Kansas edges back into the top 10. Everyone else gets moderate bumps after Seton Hall, TCU, and Miami drop.

How is MSU still top 10 after getting blown out by Ohio State, going to OT with Rutgers, and losing by double digits at home to Michigan?

• Locked thread