Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
With Great News, is there a point where the mom becomes less grating and boundary-overstepping? I loved 30 Rock, and Nicole Richie was great in the episodes I saw, but I couldn't get past my dislike of the mom.

IRQ posted:

But you know what ISN'T coming out in 2018?

Season 4 of Mr. Robot :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

But you know what ISN'T coming out in 2018?

Morrissey?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mameluke posted:

With Great News, is there a point where the mom becomes less grating and boundary-overstepping? I loved 30 Rock, and Nicole Richie was great in the episodes I saw, but I couldn't get past my dislike of the mom.

I mean, that’s her whole character? I was definitely warmed up to that from Andrea Martin’s similar (but way meaner) role on Difficult People.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mameluke posted:

Season 4 of Mr. Robot :(

2019?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Yeah, Mr. Robot's not cancelled. Sam Esmail's going to be busy working on his new Amazon show though*, so no time to get the show shot and released this year.

*And also his adaptation of Metropolis, probably.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
TNT greenlit the Snowpiercer pilot to series

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/951091401705578496

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I started watching Van Helsing, the pilot is quite bad. Does this get better? Has it been canceled? Should I bail out now?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its super super bleak but I'm not sure I'd call it bad. I'm not sure I'd call it good either. Pilot's bad and first few episodes are stuck in one place but they eventually get out of there and the show opens up a bit. But I still haven't ventured into S2 because S1 just crushed my loving soul. S2 just ended and I think there's a S3 coming. If nothing else, its not a show that does what you expect.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just don't want another cliffhanger cancellation. I'm on a roll with those.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's definitely a S2 and wiki tells me an upcoming S3. So no guarantees but its all open right now.

S1 had a kind of resolution on the season but clear hanger for next season feel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I started watching Van Helsing, the pilot is quite bad. Does this get better? Has it been canceled? Should I bail out now?

It gets a lot better.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm catching up on season 4 of Brooklyn Nine-Nine and boy that show has gone completely cartoon comedy. Even the serious guy has gone totally cartoony.

Gotta say I like it though. It's funnier than ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

It gets a lot better.

Well that's two reliable goons, I'll stick with it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We watched the first episode of Alone Together, and it was HILARIOUS. If you really hate vapid Millennials, you may hate it no matter what, but it was really funny. It helps that I think Esther Povitsky is adorable, though.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
A few episodes into The Good Place S2 and holy poo poo. I wish I watched this show in time to put it on my year-end list

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Well that's two reliable goons, I'll stick with it.

Season 2 is savage af.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Season 2 is savage af.

Well now I'm sold.

On the third episode and it has massively picked up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, it's a good show. Can get pretty ambitious as well, despite its small budget. Does some really cool things with its cast and its season structures.

The third season renewal makes a fourth one likely as well, given a combination of factors.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For some reason I thought The Good Place was a family drama or something like This Is Us.

Guess I need to check it out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I too would avoid something if I thought it was anything like This Is Us. Never have I been so glad a show just seemed to have fallen off the face of discussion.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This Is Us fails because it's just so extremely repetitive. It's the actually shameless take on Shameless.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Josh Lyman posted:

For some reason I thought The Good Place was a family drama or something like This Is Us.

Guess I need to check it out.

LOL. Fork you man.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I too would avoid something if I thought it was anything like This Is Us. Never have I been so glad a show just seemed to have fallen off the face of discussion.

Somehow it's still the top rated show

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Awesome, I can't wait to see what Josh Friedman (Sarah Connor Chronicles) does with this.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Wandle Cax posted:

Somehow it's still the top rated show
There is very little critical discussion of the most popular network shows. Shockingly, nobody has anything to say about network sitcoms and procedurals.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So now that I'm done with The Good Wife, I need a new procedural or legal drama to keep my nervous system intact. I tried watchimg Midsomer Murders, but so far the pilot is sapping my will to live. And it's 100 minutes long.

Any recommendations?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

So now that I'm done with The Good Wife, I need a new procedural or legal drama to keep my nervous system intact. I tried watchimg Midsomer Murders, but so far the pilot is sapping my will to live. And it's 100 minutes long.

Any recommendations?
Boston Legal was very enjoyable.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Good Fight?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Any recommendations?

How about Elementary?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

How about Elementary?

It's not on Netflix :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

It's not on Netflix :(

Hmm. I'm not really sure what is and isn't on Netflix. I liked the Lethal Weapon TV series, which I watched recently, so I suppose I recommend that if it's on.

The Mentalist had some fun episodes, even though it's overarching storyline wasn't very interesting to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love Netflix but it really has been a drag to see people slowly gravitate to only watching shows on there and not bothering to check out anything else.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I love Netflix but it really has been a drag to see people slowly gravitate to only watching shows on there and not bothering to check out anything else.

I mean if the shows I want to watch aren't available on a streaming service I'm not going to watch them.

Especially not if they're shows I'm only going to half-watch while I work.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lurdiak posted:

Any recommendations?

Better Call Saul

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

less laughter posted:

Better Call Saul

That's too good. I'd prefer something I can "watch" with my eyes closed, like Law and Order. I'm gonna give Lethal Weapon a shot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Have you seen Doc Martin? It's so easy to just leave on the background and it's pleasant.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lethal Weapon is horrible and I can't stop thinking how much I'd rather see Danny Glover on screen.

Mu Zeta posted:

Have you seen Doc Martin?

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Mentalist

Josh Lyman posted:

Boston Legal was very enjoyable.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Good Fight?

None of these are on Netflix either. :suicide: Everything that looks neat on Netflix turns out to be a long form drama instead of a procedural. I don't want to watch 5 seasons of chasing one bad guy. :(

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Lethal Weapon is horrible and I can't stop thinking how much I'd rather see Danny Glover on screen.

Your man makes an awesome Riggs though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Your man makes an awesome Riggs though.

Yeah if everything else in the show including the writing wasn't so terrible he'd be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah if everything else in the show including the writing wasn't so terrible he'd be perfect.

How many you watched? 2 or 3?