Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Well, so far the furthest I've been able to get with Precursors is this:

:sigh:

Unofficial patch doesn't help, either.

turn off the TV posted:

X3 Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude. They're amazing games that are also strapped in with some terrible path finding, performance problems, bizarre voice acting and CGI, bland plotlines and atrocious menus that will make you question your sanity.

At 347 hours played X3: Terran Conflict is my second most-played game on Steam and I love it dearly, to the point where I did the Hub plot legit, with the original resource requirements, and regret nothing. I recently launched it again out of curiosity after six years of not playing and was unbelievably lost. I had absolutely no idea how to do anything. But man just hearing the ship AI voice made me really nostalgic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I really tried to get into the X games but I can't even figure out how to move my loving ship half the time.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I really tried to get into the X games but I can't even figure out how to move my loving ship half the time.

When I first started in Terran Conflict I basically forced myself to not look too far ahead and just take baby steps. Like I would ignore 95% of the game and menus and such and tell myself "My current goal is to learn how to dock my ship at a station". It was rough but bit by bit you end up learning the 'language' of the game, so to speak. There were entire mechanics in that game that I only got to after 100 hours of playtime, for instance. You just have to scale it down so as not to get overwhelmed.

Speaking of, after two hours in Precursors I felt so overwhelmed I had to take a break for a couple of days. I'm back to it now and feel more settled. I think I'm starting to find the charm here, especially now I know how to skip through the voice acting. I'm sticking to just doing side quests and romping around the desert in my buggy running over bandits and that's been fun, but it was a rough start. The gunplay so far is dreadful, hopefully once I level up some more and buy upgrades or whatnot that'll improve.

Some screens:

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 16, 2017

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Dragon's Dogma has some amazing conversations with pawns (npc helpers). The one I'll always remember is

Pawn: That's a big tree.

Same pawn: If we walk closer, it'll seem bigger.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I don't want to turn this into my personal Precursors screenshot dump, but have some more anyway. I feel like most of the screenshots of this game that I'd seen focused primarily on the first planet but these are from a ways further in, including one of the space sim stuff. Which is pretty lightweight in terms of actual Stuff To Do, though interesting. Larger ships have locational damage so you can target the engines to prevent them escaping or disable turrets and guns, or blow up their cargo individually, etc. There is a trading system which I haven't messed around with because there doesn't seem to be any info on prices across the various stations so I feel I'd be buying things blind. But theoretically I guess you can do some space truckin'?

The second and third planet I've landed on have been noticeably thinner on content. Nothing like the big city on the first planet with all its side quests, here it's been a lot of empty space, few NPCs and just main missions all over. Could be there's another big hub to come but I wonder if this is where the grand ambition of this game starts to weigh it down. Regardless, it's been a lot of fun and after ~12 hours I definitely feel I can recommend this game.

Also, I like games where you can stuff your inventory full of useless junk and this game has that in spades.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 17, 2017

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Every suggestion in this thread so far is great, but there's a leaning towards fairly well known cult games (which are amazing and deserve all the attention and praise, don't get me wrong). Let me lower the budget with some unknown indie trash. Allow me to introduce Easy Red

It's a WW2 shooter set during the Normandy campaign made by one man, who is Italian. It is the lowest of low budget efforts. It's basically a glorified botmatch. You may notice that the latest update is 0.9.0, which is odd for a released game. Because he accidentally didn't submit it as early access, and he can't change it. It's also very cheap, and I was just so goddamn charmed and intrigued that I bought it, and was pleasantly surprised by how...charming is. It's not going to win any awards or critical praise but there's a lot of neat stuff. There's a full inventory system, with helmets, armour, uniforms, magazines and individual bullets accounted for. A variety of guns, some of which even sound decent - which makes the majority sounding like a sad fart stick out even more. There's vehicles and hilarious voice acting. The thing I was most impressed by was the map; instead of just having discrete levels like a sane person, the dev just made a map that covers Normandy, so missions take place on little chunks. This means you can land on all the Normandy beaches, which is...honestly pretty cool, but the whole idea is just so goddamn unnecessary. It's beautiful. The devs adding a mission editor as well, which I'm sure is going to go well.

I do have a bias towards botmatch stuff from my days of having no internet and playing Battlefield 2 solo with dumb bots (Ravenfield is a fun much-less-janky game if you too share this love), but it's a decent time, by which I mean it's a goddamn mess and I love it and can't wait to see what it becomes.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Not the Messiah posted:

Every suggestion in this thread so far is great, but there's a leaning towards fairly well known cult games (which are amazing and deserve all the attention and praise, don't get me wrong). Let me lower the budget with some unknown indie trash. Allow me to introduce Easy Red

I think this got a brief mention in the Steam thread during the winter sale, but I forgot the title and lost sight of it afterwards, so it's cool to see it again! I just wish it was literally any other setting, the WW2 stuff puts me to sleep immediately. It's so cheap I might still pick it up eventually, though.

I kind of love this type of one-person devs who allow themselves the freedom to just give zero fucks and do whatever.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Vakal posted:

Get Elex if you haven't already. It has all of that stuff but ten times better since you have a jetpack.

A page back, but I picked up Elex at the Steam sale and hoo BOY is it a Piranha Bites game. Three joinable factions, awkward combat, enemies that'll loving crush you if you take two steps out of the starting town, but dammit I can't stop playing it because I'm so invested in the world. The jet pack makes getting around a lot easier and serves as a way to dodge enemies without sucking up stamina, so it's a welcome addition to the game, the world is beautiful, and the setting is incredibly well realized. I just wish they made the combat flow a little better and that they would have brought some of Risen 2 and 3's humor into the game.

For people who like the concept of Lichdom: Battlemage but hate the game itself, try Fictorum. It's the best example I've played of a game who's budget was outpaced by its ambition. You play as the Fictorum, a renegade mage on the run from the inquisition. You move from mountain top to mountain top in a world where a rising sea of captial-C Corruption flooded the low lands with the inquisition nipping at your heels like the rebels from FTL. The gameplay itself, though, is a third-person shooter in what I am pretty sure are randomly generated maps (and if they aren't, there's enough variety that I haven't seen a repeat in 12+ hours of game time) with buildings you can destroy with your customized destructive spells.

Each spell has three rune slots that can be filled to extend their utility. For example, in my current game, I have Lightning Orb, a slow moving ball which shoots lightning at enemies around it. I added three runes to it. First is Concentration, which is a power upgrade; it's boring, but dependable. Second is a rune I can't remember the name of which speeds it up and extends its range. The third is Spread, which creates multiple orbs.

Almost all of the runes can be powered on the fly by "shaping" the spell; essentially, you hold right click and move your mouse in the triangle of runes that appears to charge each rune for a bigger effect. My Lightning Orb, powered up, kills almost everything in one shot, moves fast enough to cover a lot of ground, and, most importantly, shoots five of the drat things to cover an entire battlefield.

Admittedly, that's not as fun as just calling down a bunch of meteors or calling up a bunch of glaciers to spring from the ground and utterly demolish entire towns, but, well, that's why you get four spell slots.

It is undoubtedly a janky rear end game. The graphics, animations, and a lot of the sound effects are awful. The plot is non-existent. The enemies were just recently patched to not just run straight at you. It is a bad game, but its fun enough to play that I can pop in for a level or two and have a good time with it. It was $15 on sale, which, for me, is a fair price for the entertainment I got out of it, but, as with every game listed here, YMMV.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
At the risk of turning this into a Dragon's Dogma thread, one of my favourite janky bits about it is that it's a pretty effective strategy for a pyromancer to set themselves on fire, and then start climbing on a monster.

Your character's height and weight determine your speed, carry weight, dodge roll distance, armour encumbrance etc.

As well as climbing all over large monsters you can pick up smaller ones, or human enemies, so throwing tough opponents off cliffs is a legit strategy.

There's a 'romance' mechanic, where an enemy will kidnap the NPC you like the most. This is largely based around how much you talked to them, so shopkeepers are most common, but if you want to talk to the king's midget jester a few hundred times it can be him.

A 'forger' NPC can copy items for you. This is partly so 100%-completionists can give away quest items a dn still have them, but there are also consequences for copying certain items.

If they ever made a DD2 that fixed the jank, it would be a serious contender for best open-world game of all time.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

OutOfPrint posted:

For people who like the concept of Lichdom: Battlemage but hate the game itself, try Fictorum.

It is undoubtedly a janky rear end game. The graphics, animations, and a lot of the sound effects are awful. The plot is non-existent. The enemies were just recently patched to not just run straight at you. It is a bad game, but its fun enough to play that I can pop in for a level or two and have a good time with it. It was $15 on sale, which, for me, is a fair price for the entertainment I got out of it, but, as with every game listed here, YMMV.

This is now 25% off on Humble at the moment if anyone wants to grab it. Still too high for me but I'll keep an eye on it, it looks like good, dumb fun. Also Marlow Briggs is $0.99 and I'm one cent short on my Humble credit.

I think I've finally been convinced to get Dragon's Dogma (eventually) from everything posted in this thread. For whatever reason it's been one of those games I never really took an interest in but I'll probably enjoy it.

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
I reckon Sea Dogs has a place here as an example of a piece of total jank.

The game is an open world seafaring adventure, wherein you captain a ship in the 17th century age of sail. You start out with a sloop (something like HMS Sophie from the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian if you've ever read those, they made a film called Master and Commander, Far Side of the World about them.)

You can sail, fight and trade, all the while upgrading your ship and crew. You can side with the English, French or Spanish, or be a pirate.

The game features an on-shore segment, but the whole presentation and controls are weird and janky.

The game spawned some sequels, one of which was last-minute re-branded with the Pirates of the Caribbean name. They're actually really fun; the modding scene added loads of content including a range of new ships and missions.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

General Ledger posted:

I don't know if this was intended on your part or just a coincidence but I checked to see if it's on Steam and apparently it's literally being added today. Unlocks in four hours. No price yet though.

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI

Glare Seethe posted:

I don't know if this was intended on your part or just a coincidence but I checked to see if it's on Steam and apparently it's literally being added today. Unlocks in four hours. No price yet though.

Nah, I had no idea! What a funny coincidence...

This is the mod pack that I used back in the day - http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/daveys-locker-hoseheads-seadogs-addon-complete.11491/

That forum post is from back in 2008 so the download links may no longer work. I think the sequels had similar mod packs as well which from memory added loads of different player models, ships and missions.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I'm idly reading an old review of X3: Terran Conflict and there are some real gems in here...

quote:

Ah the X series, how do we love thee? Let us count the ways... Every game reviewer has one of these, a game or series that touches them on a personal, intimate and downright naughty level, so enamoring them with their depth, breadth and endorphin-releasing wiles that he will hear no bad word said against them, no minor criticism that won’t be met with a flurry of pre-rehearsed counter points and face punches, no rival comparison that won’t be put down by shouts of “YOU JUST SHUT UP!” through the tears of infatuation as we cradle the box to our chest and run to our rooms to have a good cry.

[...]

It’s still a game that you have to want to love, rather than one that will entrance the reluctant majority regardless, but will generously reward you, should you be willing to let yourself go along with it. It’s still not the pick-up-and-play immediate gratification of Freelancer, and the requirement of patience and thought might still dissuade the casuals. We guess it says something that even after five years we can still compare this with Microsoft’s now-dated rival.

But the infatuation continues, even if it’s something of a clearer, where-is-this-relationship-going sort of direction than in previous years. The sex is still great, and we’d love to say we could still stay faithful to one another for many years to come. But it may well be that we’ve come to a point in our lives when it might not be a bad idea for us to start seeing other people. We’ve already got our eye on X-Online, actually. Or we could break this tortuous metaphor, and start dating human beings.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

X3 is great but really needs mods to open up or streamline stuff, especially if you want to do anything besides trade empires. I always recommend the salvage command suite and npc bailout mods to make pirating/war profiteering a thing; you get cash quick and it lets you play around with stuff a lot faster (though you still need to know what you're actually doing, like how to set up resupply ships and stuff). It also helps get around the economy's inevitable collapse without you since you can strip what you need off your stolen ships so you don't need to make energy farms to make meat to make factories for weapons and shields.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Do mods in X3 disable achievements and/or story missions?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Plugins shouldn't affect achievements or story; I think that only happens with certain custom starts.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Plugins shouldn't affect achievements or story; I think that only happens with certain custom starts.

Yeeees if there's anything I hate about Paradox games it is their treatment of cheevos.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do mods in X3 disable achievements and/or story missions?

Mods mostly disable cheevos in X3 but that's it. Though, there are certain flagged mods/modpacks that the devs deemed 'essential' that don't do that, like wares management.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Going strictly by my Terran Conflict achievements it looks like it took me 347 hours to pass flight school. I guess I didn't hesitate much with the mods.

I was just browsing through some of the soundtrack and landed on this track. When it hit 0:50 while I was slowly cruising in Terran space was when that game blew me away for the first time. I really have crazy amounts of nostalgia for it, probably only short of Morrowind and Link's Awakening, and it's not even that old really.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Elfface posted:

If they ever made a DD2 that fixed the jank, it would be a serious contender for best open-world game of all time.

You speak blasphemy, sir. Things like your weapons' attack distance being determined by the literal length of your character's arms, or being too short to walk in a dank cave river without your hipslung lantern going out are an integral part of the Dragon's Dogma experience.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Glare Seethe posted:

I don't want to turn this into my personal Precursors screenshot dump, but have some more anyway. I feel like most of the screenshots of this game that I'd seen focused primarily on the first planet but these are from a ways further in, including one of the space sim stuff. Which is pretty lightweight in terms of actual Stuff To Do, though interesting. Larger ships have locational damage so you can target the engines to prevent them escaping or disable turrets and guns, or blow up their cargo individually, etc. There is a trading system which I haven't messed around with because there doesn't seem to be any info on prices across the various stations so I feel I'd be buying things blind. But theoretically I guess you can do some space truckin'?

The second and third planet I've landed on have been noticeably thinner on content. Nothing like the big city on the first planet with all its side quests, here it's been a lot of empty space, few NPCs and just main missions all over. Could be there's another big hub to come but I wonder if this is where the grand ambition of this game starts to weigh it down. Regardless, it's been a lot of fun and after ~12 hours I definitely feel I can recommend this game.

Also, I like games where you can stuff your inventory full of useless junk and this game has that in spades.

Oh man, I thought I was one of the only people who had ever owned and played this. It's been years since I last checked it out (maybe 2010 or 2011) but I remember it being such a unique and ambitious (but decidedly janky) game. I love the fact that the developers didn't shy away from creating strange, colorful worlds and aliens, and it was really cool that its semi-open-world format allowed you to freely travel between planets.

Really makes me wonder what Precursors might have been with more manpower, money, or experience.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 13, 2018

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh man, I thought I was one of the only people who had ever owned and played this. It's been years since I last checked it out (maybe 2010 or 2011) but I remember it being such a unique and ambitious (but decidedly janky) game. I love the fact that the developers didn't shy away from creating strange, colorful worlds and aliens, and it was really cool that its semi-open-world format allowed you to freely travel between planets.

Really makes me wonder what Precursors might have been with more manpower, money, or experience.

I had a lot of fun with it, and fortunately it picks up again on the last planet in terms of content. But yeah, it's clear the ambition and vision for the game was far beyond the budget (or competence?). There's certainly enough good and interesting in it to make it worthwhile, however, and I think it kind of perfectly encapsulates the meaning of "charming jank".

Your "strange, colorful worlds and aliens" comment reminded me of the Zeno Clash games. The second one suffers a bit from going open-world and neglecting to actually put any content in it, but it was at least really pretty. Think they belong in the same "overambitious but weird and compelling" category. Most of the jank resides in the first-person brawling, if I recall, and I think I ended up using the weapons over my fists for the most part. Good games, though. It'd be nice to revisit that world again, especially if ACE Team could either reign themselves in and deliver a tighter, smaller but deeper experience, or otherwise secure a higher budget to deliver on the full scope of their vision. Probably unlikely to happen though.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Elfface posted:

At the risk of turning this into a Dragon's Dogma thread, one of my favourite janky bits about it is that it's a pretty effective strategy for a pyromancer to set themselves on fire, and then start climbing on a monster.

Your character's height and weight determine your speed, carry weight, dodge roll distance, armour encumbrance etc.

As well as climbing all over large monsters you can pick up smaller ones, or human enemies, so throwing tough opponents off cliffs is a legit strategy.

A 'forger' NPC can copy items for you. This is partly so 100%-completionists can give away quest items a dn still have them, but there are also consequences for copying certain items.

these are all just intentionally added cool features idgi

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

General Ledger posted:

The game is an open world seafaring adventure, wherein you captain a ship in the 17th century age of sail. You start out with a sloop (something like HMS Sophie from the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian if you've ever read those, they made a film called Master and Commander, Far Side of the World about them.)

You can sail, fight and trade, all the while upgrading your ship and crew. You can side with the English, French or Spanish, or be a pirate.

The game features an on-shore segment, but the whole presentation and controls are weird and janky.

The game spawned some sequels, one of which was last-minute re-branded with the Pirates of the Caribbean name. They're actually really fun; the modding scene added loads of content including a range of new ships and missions.

Oh dang, I had the Pirates of the Caribbean game on the Xbox when I was younger, and I was so confused that there was absolutely no relation to the movies. I kept at it because I assumed the movie characters would show up later. I never got to find it because I got lost in a cave with skeletons in it and died. Also it took hours for the game to actually let you get started, jeez. I've been interested in getting the newer Sea Dogs, and apparently the mods for it are great. I love that it's the jankiest games that get the most fanatical and committed modding communities :unsmith:

Glare Seethe posted:

I think this got a brief mention in the Steam thread during the winter sale, but I forgot the title and lost sight of it afterwards, so it's cool to see it again! I just wish it was literally any other setting, the WW2 stuff puts me to sleep immediately. It's so cheap I might still pick it up eventually, though.

I kind of love this type of one-person devs who allow themselves the freedom to just give zero fucks and do whatever.

Speaking of, he released version 1! Mission editor is in, and workshop support for mission which is sweet. Apparently he might make free DLC for it as well. I remain so charmed by what is basically a dumb curio.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Glare Seethe posted:

I had a lot of fun with it, and fortunately it picks up again on the last planet in terms of content. But yeah, it's clear the ambition and vision for the game was far beyond the budget (or competence?). There's certainly enough good and interesting in it to make it worthwhile, however, and I think it kind of perfectly encapsulates the meaning of "charming jank".

Your "strange, colorful worlds and aliens" comment reminded me of the Zeno Clash games. The second one suffers a bit from going open-world and neglecting to actually put any content in it, but it was at least really pretty. Think they belong in the same "overambitious but weird and compelling" category. Most of the jank resides in the first-person brawling, if I recall, and I think I ended up using the weapons over my fists for the most part. Good games, though. It'd be nice to revisit that world again, especially if ACE Team could either reign themselves in and deliver a tighter, smaller but deeper experience, or otherwise secure a higher budget to deliver on the full scope of their vision. Probably unlikely to happen though.

I still occasionally wonder why Zeno Clash 2 went with "open world" in their marketing when all they really did with that concept turned out to be basically "really big central hub that you travel through to each mission." It was a bizarrely gorgeous central hub, mind you, but I wouldn't describe it as open world. The first game really managed to capture the feeling of the length of the journey with its distinct levels. I still liked the second when it was just the missions and there are still the same really impressive visuals from the first.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Elex is the worst game I can't stop playing. The first 12 hours play like a Rincewind Discworld book; I couldn't do any damage to anything, so I ran away from everything. Then I joined a faction, got a magic-ish bomb thrower, and can now punk anything with a modicum of hit and run tactics. This completely threw the difficulty out of whack within the span of about an hour. The controls are weirdly sticky, there seems to be no manual or in-game explanation of the mechanics (it took me a while to realize "Charisma" was a measure of how many skill points put into "Personality" skills, because gently caress consistent naming conventions), and the game deliberately hides basic information, like the exact amount of hit points, energy points, and experience points you have, while providing exact numbers for how much of these resources are provided by potions, food, and indiscriminate purging of the local fauna. Seriously, if anyone figured out where to find how many experience points I need to get to the next level, please tell me.

But, dammit, the world is so much fun to explore. The writing is solid, outside of the charmless protagonist who really makes me miss Risen Guy, the different factions are surprisingly multifaceted, and it provides a much more interesting take on a post-apocalyptic world than anything else I've played, including the Fallout games.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Necrovison is really good and so is its sequel/prequel.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

OutOfPrint posted:

Elex is the worst game I can't stop playing. The first 12 hours play like a Rincewind Discworld book; I couldn't do any damage to anything, so I ran away from everything. Then I joined a faction, got a magic-ish bomb thrower, and can now punk anything with a modicum of hit and run tactics. This completely threw the difficulty out of whack within the span of about an hour. The controls are weirdly sticky, there seems to be no manual or in-game explanation of the mechanics (it took me a while to realize "Charisma" was a measure of how many skill points put into "Personality" skills, because gently caress consistent naming conventions), and the game deliberately hides basic information, like the exact amount of hit points, energy points, and experience points you have, while providing exact numbers for how much of these resources are provided by potions, food, and indiscriminate purging of the local fauna. Seriously, if anyone figured out where to find how many experience points I need to get to the next level, please tell me.

But, dammit, the world is so much fun to explore. The writing is solid, outside of the charmless protagonist who really makes me miss Risen Guy, the different factions are surprisingly multifaceted, and it provides a much more interesting take on a post-apocalyptic world than anything else I've played, including the Fallout games.

this sounds a lot more good than janky, dude. i might have to check it out because legitimately unique and interesting game worlds with multifaceted characters seem to be videogame-unicorns to me.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

this sounds a lot more good than janky, dude. i might have to check it out because legitimately unique and interesting game worlds with multifaceted characters seem to be videogame-unicorns to me.

It's really good, with a giant asterisk. If you're into interesting settings, absolutely check it out. I really love that it's post-apocalyptic, but explicitly not Earth, which gives them a lot of wiggle room in terms of enemy and world design.

The way the game plays, though, is janky as hell. Melee combat is incredibly sticky, with uninterruptible animations so that you better hope your attack animation resolves before the enemy's. I'm also reasonably sure damage is the raw point difference of <damage>-<armor>, making combat in general weirdly swingy. If your sword does 41 damage and your enemy has 39 armor, you're dealing 2 damage per hit. When you upgrade to a sword dealing 47 damage, your damage output against that enemy quadruples to 8 per hit. If you use that same sword against an unarmored enemy, you pretty much nuke it in one hit.

I haven't figured out how skills and attributes affect damage output. My psi bombs deal 41 + 40% damage, for a total of what should be about 49 damage per hit. I also have an ability that increases my ranged weapon skill by 50 for 45 seconds and a gun that deals 40 damage per hit. If the skill bonus is additive, I should deal a little under twice as much damage with the gun and that ability turned on that with my bombs...but I can destroy giant enemies in four bombs, while my gun shots deal so little damage I can't see the enemy's health bar go down.

That said, my character's Intelligence, which governs psi abilities, is about twice as high as my Dexterity, which governs ranged weapons. I also don't know for sure if my plasma gun's shot damage is reduced by armor, or some other special resistance. I think my psi bombs deal electrical damage, which may bypass most enemies' armor, which would explain the difference.

Absolutely none of this is explained anywhere, though, so gently caress it, bombs away.

The game world is fantastic, and make it one of my favorite new RPGs. The mechanics are janky and completely obfuscated to an insane degree, even more so than the similarly janky and awesome Risen games.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Well I bought that, Risen 1 and Risen 2 last night. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I just want something that feels fresh.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

You are in for a good time, probably. If there's one thing Piranha Bytes nails every time it's the world design and geography.

I bought Risen 3 in the winter sale but haven't gotten to it yet.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

buglord posted:

The concept of the world and the story as a whole in Elex is pretty good, but it's in the same vein as something like E.Y.E. where the rest of the game can be a fountain of jank. Elex has poo poo like physics glitching out, unnatural translations, bad voice acting, etc. I remember watching someone stream it and they came across a woman whose right breast was vibrating throughout their conversation, and camera angles in dialogues that were placed incorrectly and clipping through random objects, facing random directions.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

buglord posted:

Well I bought that, Risen 1 and Risen 2 last night. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I just want something that feels fresh.

Nothing wrong with that. Randomly stumbling upon Gothic when I was a kid was fuckin awesome. These guys know how to make a world.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Glare Seethe posted:

You are in for a good time, probably. If there's one thing Piranha Bytes nails every time it's the world design and geography.

I bought Risen 3 in the winter sale but haven't gotten to it yet.

Risen 3 was good, but the gnomes weren't as fun as they were in Risen 2 (gently caress no!).

Speaking of Risen, does anyone know how to get Risen 2 working on Windows 10? I haven't found a workable solution yet.

turn off the TV posted:

The concept of the world and the story as a whole in Elex is pretty good, but it's in the same vein as something like E.Y.E. where the rest of the game can be a fountain of jank. Elex has poo poo like physics glitching out, unnatural translations, bad voice acting, etc. I remember watching someone stream it and they came across a woman whose right breast was vibrating throughout their conversation, and camera angles in dialogues that were placed incorrectly and clipping through random objects, facing random directions.

I had my inventory screen blocked by the sunglasses my guy was wearing last night. That got a laugh out of me.

Incidentally, the sunglasses highlight a surprising amount of items buried just out of reach below ground, like they nudged the z-slider a little bit when placing them.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Janky games are my lifeblood. I am currently playing The Technomancer. Also I suggest 7.62 High Calibre and Planet Alcatraz for people with taste. I haven't played Men Of Prey in years but I can't imagine it improved much.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

OutOfPrint posted:

Speaking of Risen, does anyone know how to get Risen 2 working on Windows 10? I haven't found a workable solution yet.

Like, it doesnt work at all? It was a $4 purchase off of the Humble Bundle store but sucks if true.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
It looks like reinstalling PhysX will make it work, but the last time I installed it, I couldn't get past the logo screens.

EDIT: Just tried it with a fresh install and it works fine. I guess whatever problems it had were resolved. Repaying it is now back on my docket!

OutOfPrint fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 19, 2018

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

James Woods Fan posted:

Janky games are my lifeblood. I am currently playing The Technomancer.

I'm definitely kind of curious about Spiders' games. There's a bundle of four of them on Steam that looks kind of tempting. I think I remember people saying Of Orcs and Men is just plain boring, though, and they improved with their later games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Glare Seethe posted:

I'm definitely kind of curious about Spiders' games. There's a bundle of four of them on Steam that looks kind of tempting. I think I remember people saying Of Orcs and Men is just plain boring, though, and they improved with their later games.

That bundle is not their best showing, though I've never played Faery. Orcs and Men can be quite unbalanced towards the player in parts and very frustrating - you'll only ever control two characters and even playing exactly as the game wants you to can lead to fighting a lot more than that and dying incredibly quickly. Bound By Flame has a neat crafting system but a lot of the same issues at O&M where there are just completely unexpected ramp ups in difficulty the game did not prepare you for - its also very obviously an ambitious game cut in half (at least). Mars War Logs is the best of them (as much as that says when it comes to Spiders) but if you've played The Technomancer then you've already played a better version of War Logs.

Like all things Spiders there's a few good things to latch onto (ie. spinning Styx from O&M and expanding his skillset into his own two very good stealth games) but a lot of let downs too.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 19, 2018

• Locked thread