Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

iospace posted:

Well yeah, they aren't a fun team to watch

Come at me, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe Oettinger can't make it due to school concerns?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Maybe Oettinger can't make it due to school concerns?

Universities tend to bend over backwards to claim Olympians went/graduated from there. So I would find this unlikely.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Hopefully Leggio can meet Pierre

https://youtu.be/zxDMG7xKuS4

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I guess the Carolina ownership change went through.

Pretty excited for The Houston Oil Knights™.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

They're not bad, I've watched them in D1 rec league at a local rink. Though Maxwell is playing above his weight a bit, should probably stick to D2 or D3.

drat.

I can't tell if you're serious or if they are really that bad. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Hockeydb has Maxwell's place of birth as Guelph.

e: the leggio video makes me die of laughter every time.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 12, 2018

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Schremp Howard posted:

Hopefully Leggio can meet Pierre

https://youtu.be/zxDMG7xKuS4

holy poo poo i can't believe this is the same guy as the net pushing goalie lmao

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Universities tend to bend over backwards to claim Olympians went/graduated from there. So I would find this unlikely.

A bunch the women’s team are NCAA players which makes it even more unlikely unless he’s the dumbest athlete ever.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Gilbert Brule is an Olympian? Doug MacLean is finally vindicated, after 13 years.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Gilbert Brule is an Olympian? Doug MacLean is finally vindicated, after 13 years.

Good Canadian Kid reaches his potential. Who needed that floaty Slovenian anyway? Doug's kid is a great scout.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

A bunch the women’s team are NCAA players which makes it even more unlikely unless he’s the dumbest athlete ever.

I saw this being talked about on Twitter, the distinction for women’s players is that they’ve known about their chances to play the Olympics for multiple years, so they can plan their courses and credits accordingly, or often take off a semester or entire year off to allow themselves time to participate in camps and the various events surrounding Olympic participation.

Contrast to the NHL not making a decision until basically the end of the summer and men’s college players are in a much tougher spot.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

I saw this being talked about on Twitter, the distinction for women’s players is that they’ve known about their chances to play the Olympics for multiple years, so they can plan their courses and credits accordingly, or often take off a semester or entire year off to allow themselves time to participate in camps and the various events surrounding Olympic participation.

Contrast to the NHL not making a decision until basically the end of the summer and men’s college players are in a much tougher spot.

That makes sense. Although that makes it even sadder for the girls that got cut for putting everything on hold for an entire year of their lives just to not make it. At least the NHLers are getting paid and still have the Cup to play for.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
“It’s gone back for a few years now, where the team wasn’t particularly happy with the player and the player wasn’t particularly happy with the team. You see Anthony play and his speed and skill is obvious to everyone. There are also some things that I think should stay behind closed doors."
-Coyotes GM John Chayka

The Department of Player Safety agrees on his assessment of Zac Rinaldo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So am I understanding this correct? DuClair got traded because he thinks Zac Rinaldo's a dirty piece of poo poo?

Also what the gently caress happened with the Flames, they've gone from almost giving up a lotto pick for Hamonic (still not happy about it, but I get they felt like it was a calculated risk) to looking like they'll make the playoffs barring a bad trade or major injury

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

So am I understanding this correct? DuClair got traded because he thinks Zac Rinaldo's a dirty piece of poo poo?

My understanding is that he was pissrd he was getting scratched while poo poo like Rinaldo was getting minutes, so he requested a trade.* Man am I glad that Tocchet left the pens

*this is based on skimming like 10 random tweets I have no idea if it’s true at all

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

I don't know, I'm just mocking the Coyotes for trading a skilled player because their team is poo poo. It seems like they've had a lot of "locker room problems" with guys like Duclair, DeAngelo, and Wolski - that's just naming the ones who played for the Rangers.

I wonder how the narrative might be flipped about these guys "just wanting to win" if they weren't on a team that used $10m of dead weight to hit the cap floor?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One of those guys flamed out of the league entirely and the other one is a racist homophobe shitbag so I don’t know if those are really their fault.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Also what the gently caress happened with the Flames, they've gone from almost giving up a lotto pick for Hamonic (still not happy about it, but I get they felt like it was a calculated risk) to looking like they'll make the playoffs barring a bad trade or major injury

Then First line went cold.

The it's gone hot.

In all honesty, I've seen them play much better games than today and get shelled so I no longer know what the gently caress.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

One of those guys flamed out of the league entirely and the other one is a racist homophobe shitbag so I don’t know if those are really their fault.

Are you talking about Canadian Olympian Wojtek Wolski?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

what are you supposed to do with guys like kyle turris or blake wheeler though? they didn't even want to try to win. duclair stuck around a while before the trade request but i'm not sure what he was expecting after 3 coaches worth of whatever he was doing not working and then asking for a clean start somewhere else.

bargain bin yakupov in spite of better coaching isn't a great look, but we'll see what chicago can do with him, i guess

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well thanks for saving me the time of having to watch Olympic hockey this year.

Who am I kidding, I'll watch anyway.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The olympics are bad for the people who live where they are hosted anyway so just don't watch.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

hifi posted:

what are you supposed to do with guys like kyle turris or blake wheeler though? they didn't even want to try to win. duclair stuck around a while before the trade request but i'm not sure what he was expecting after 3 coaches worth of whatever he was doing not working and then asking for a clean start somewhere else.

bargain bin yakupov in spite of better coaching isn't a great look, but we'll see what chicago can do with him, i guess

Careers are short and Phoenix is bad with a lot of stupid poo poo going on around the team in terms of the arena and attendance. Being scratched for Zac Rinaldo for whatever reason when in a contract year means Duclair is also potentially losing money with his next contract. You can question Wheeler and Turris all you want, but Duclair makes it 3 young talented players that didn't want to stay with the Coyotes. Maybe the problem isn't with the players but the inability for the organization to actually build an environment players want to be in?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

The olympics are bad for the people who live where they are hosted anyway so just don't watch.

Rampant nationalism compels me.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I plan to wake up early once or twice to see team USA play if its on the weekend, but if the hockey is bad - and by bad I mean low quality but also good enough that it's not funny - then I won't watch again unless USA is in the gold medal game or something.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Careers are short and Phoenix is bad with a lot of stupid poo poo going on around the team in terms of the arena and attendance. Being scratched for Zac Rinaldo for whatever reason when in a contract year means Duclair is also potentially losing money with his next contract. You can question Wheeler and Turris all you want, but Duclair makes it 3 young talented players that didn't want to stay with the Coyotes. Maybe the problem isn't with the players but the inability for the organization to actually build an environment players want to be in?

Scoring 15 points and being a complete disappointment last year also cost him a lot of money.

We'll see if he turns into a Wheeler or into a Wolski but I’d bet on the latter.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I plan to wake up early once or twice to see team USA play if its on the weekend, but if the hockey is bad - and by bad I mean low quality but also good enough that it's not funny - then I won't watch again unless USA is in the gold medal game or something.

Basically this, but I plan on fully utilizing my DVR.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

They finally got rid of a lot of the poo poo players they started the season with (Glass, Bart, Jagr wasn’t all that great for them). While they still have some not so great people, the bottom lines are noticeably better now and aren’t huge risks to put out and the defence is finally playing like how they should.

The big thing is making sure they continue to push, as their biggest issue at points is consistency, and playing like they don’t give a poo poo at times.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

I thought it was pretty drat awesome when it was in Vancouver. "Oh, I think I'll go and watch some Olympic hockey in my lunch break".

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I thought it was pretty drat awesome when it was in Vancouver. "Oh, I think I'll go and watch some Olympic hockey in my lunch break".

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Olympics, and the World Cup have very native effects on poorer communities in the host areas. Between massive tax breaks (aka Public Wealth turned Private), displacement and gentrification to build new venues, and militarization of police and reduction of civil liberties (Brazil's crackdown on the Barrios as an example), it goes beyond "hey, i'll go watch the olympics on my lunch break, this is cool".

I'm not singling you out, but yeah, gently caress the olympics, I'm glad the NHL didn't send anyone so now I have no reason to watch.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I mean, it's going to be better quality than the World Juniors but there are no teenagers for us to fetishize.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

I mean, it's going to be better quality than the World Juniors but there are no teenagers for us to fetishize.

personally I hope they get in a situation where Troy Terry can take like 10 penalty shots

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
The flames also just blew out hedman’s knee, so they are capable of winning just like the bruins.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

personally I hope they get in a situation where Troy Terry can take like 10 penalty shots

On that note, why on earth doesn't the NHL allow repeat shooters in the shootout? I don't mean after three or five, I mean why can't one guy take all the shots for his team? How much would the fans love a shootout that was McDavid versus Matthews? Just those two guys over and over until one wins. It's a great way to highlight stars and adds a level of much needed drama to a pretty stale instituion. I want TJ Oshie to be a game winning secret weapon that other teams are intimidated to go up against.

Right now I just don't give the slightest poo poo when some random 2nd liner is sent out there to fire a shot into the goalie's pads. Give me Crosby going backhand five times in a row instead.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

On that note, why on earth doesn't the NHL allow repeat shooters in the shootout? I don't mean after three or five, I mean why can't one guy take all the shots for his team? How much would the fans love a shootout that was McDavid versus Matthews? Just those two guys over and over until one wins. It's a great way to highlight stars and adds a level of much needed drama to a pretty stale instituion. I want TJ Oshie to be a game winning secret weapon that other teams are intimidated to go up against.

Right now I just don't give the slightest poo poo when some random 2nd liner is sent out there to fire a shot into the goalie's pads. Give me Crosby going backhand five times in a row instead.

It'd just be Crosby going fivehole five times in a row.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

Imagine every team scouring the minors for guys who are ECHL level players but have killer shootout moves and giving them 10 minutes a night just in case there's a shootout while a promising prospect spends 2 out of every 3 games in the press box to make room for him.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Imagine every team scouring the minors for guys who are ECHL level players but have killer shootout moves and giving them 10 minutes a night just in case there's a shootout while a promising prospect spends 2 out of every 3 games in the press box to make room for him.

*cranes neck to see the Rangers and Buchnevich*

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Imagine every a handful of teams scouring the minors for guys who are ECHL level players but have killer shootout moves and giving them 10 minutes a night just in case there's a shootout while a promising prospect spends 2 out of every 3 games in the press box to make room for him.

There is no way most teams would bother, because winning by the shootout is for pussies, and it's much more important to have a strong character guy like Zac Rinaldo on your team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you acquire Zac Rinaldo, then your players do not need to play against Zac Rinaldo.

• Locked thread